Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Joker

Character » appears in 68 games

The Joker is Batman's archnemesis. First appearing in Batman #1 in 1940, he schemes against the Caped Crusader to this day. He was played by various actors including Cesar Romero, Jack Nicholson, Mark Hamill, Richard Epcar, Heath Ledger, Jared Leto and Joaquin Phoenix.

Jack or Heath???

woodtsunami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By woodtsunami

Jack nicholson or heath ledger

Lawliet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Lawliet

heath FTW

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By suneku

Heath portrayed a perfect dark and sadistic Joker. Before him I thought no one else could do the Joker better then Jack.. I'm glad I was wrong

HavQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By HavQ

Jack. For the nine millionth time, Jack.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By kush

I was one of those guys who thought Jack couldn't be topped. I was wrong and I'm happy I was wrong. Heath was an amazing Joker...I do think his performance (more so the movie) have been overhyped, but it was still great. The rating that The Dark Knight has on IMDB is just ridiculous.

Falkien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Falkien

They did there style of Jokers... and they were good,

yorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By yorro
    Kush said:
    "I was one of those guys who thought Jack couldn't be topped. I was wrong and I'm happy I was wrong. Heath was an amazing Joker...I do think his performance (more so the movie) have been overhyped, but it was still great. The rating that The Dark Knight has on IMDB is just ridiculous.
    "
    Yes it's crazy. Topping The Godfather that is.

Dark Knight No. 1
    Dark Knight No. 1

Merforga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Merforga

Heath's performance owned Jack's.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By kush

Topping a lot of those movies is crazy. I don't even think it's the best movie of 2008, but IMDB members seem to think it's the greatest film of all time!? WTH?

Nobility

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nobility

Heath, his portrayal was shocking and brilliant.  I didn't think anyone could compare to Jack's interpretation, I was wrong.

switchit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By switchit

Havnt seen the ones with Jack, but Heath had an incredible acting in TDK

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Falkien said:
    "

"

Exactly what I would say. Burton's Batman films were of a different style than the Christopher Nolan films. Remember that the Tim Burton films were coming off of an era where Batman was a campy TV classic. Therefore Jack took the role and pretty much portrayed him as a messed up clown. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were obviously very dark and more serious films and threw the original origin story out the window in favor for a more intelectual Joker with an intricate plan of corruption and manipulation. While I do think Heath did a better portrayal of him, I don't think it's that fair to compare the two...
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zityz

Each joker fit their respective movie style perfectly.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

like them both however if I have to pick one i'd say Heath as I prefer my movie villians dark and deranged as opposed to jacks joker who was just funny imo

HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy
    Avatar image for luckywanderdude
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

Heath Ledger

faustyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By faustyn

Heath Ledger. finally a good Joker.

OroJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By OroJackson

When I saw Jack as the Joker, I was awe-struck, and was very skeptical of how Ledger would pull the character off. But I guess we know how that turned out.

Heath

Fax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Fax

I would say Heath had a better performance.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By lordofultima

Heath maybe, but I can't really compare their performances. So different.

Fax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fax
    Kush said:
    "I was one of those guys who thought Jack couldn't be topped. I was wrong and I'm happy I was wrong. Heath was an amazing Joker...I do think his performance (more so the movie) have been overhyped, but it was still great. The rating that The Dark Knight has on IMDB is just ridiculous.
    "

Never take polls open to the public seriously.
    sterbacblu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By sterbacblu

Heath, he was the Joker.  Jack was Jack in a Joker costume and makeup.  

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bulldog19892

MattyFTM said:

"Bulldog19892 said:
    "I liked Heath's better. Jack Nicholson's performance was just a Nicholson performance (you know, how he's pretty much the same person in all of his movies?). The whole movie was so cheesy and campy, I just thought he was annoying. Heath Ledger created a modernized, deep, disturbing, and ultimately classic character that has become an icon of America's fears and confused morality. Nicholson's Joker was just another Nicholson performance."
    But batman is supposed to be cheesy and campy. I much prefer cheesy campy renditions of batman to the dark renditions. Its how batman is supposed to be. That being said, I've got to go with neither, I have to go for Cesar Romero, the joker in the batman 60's TV series."
    i liked the original show too, but i'm pretty sure the first batman comics weren't in line with the 60's camp style.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is continued from the other Heath vs. Jack thread. The above poster is exactly right. Batman was never intended to be cheesy or campy. Look it up, the original comics are volumes darker than the later versions where the writers caved to editor pressure and made it incredibly tame. Eventually they brought it back to the original style. The new Batman movies are the way Batman was intended to be in the first place.

MattyFTM said:
    "Bulldog19892 said:
    "I liked Heath's better. Jack Nicholson's performance was just a Nicholson performance (you know, how he's pretty much the same person in all of his movies?). The whole movie was so cheesy and campy, I just thought he was annoying. Heath Ledger created a modernized, deep, disturbing, and ultimately classic character that has become an icon of America's fears and confused morality. Nicholson's Joker was just another Nicholson performance."
    But batman is supposed to be cheesy and campy. I much prefer cheesy campy renditions of batman to the dark renditions. Its how batman is supposed to be. That being said, I've got to go with neither, I have to go for Cesar Romero, the joker in the batman 60's TV series."
    i liked the original show too, but i'm pretty sure the first batman comics weren't in line with the 60's camp style.
    Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bulldog19892
    Everyones_A_Critic said:
    "Falkien said:
    "

"

Exactly what I would say. Burton's Batman films were of a different style than the Christopher Nolan films. Remember that the Tim Burton films were coming off of an era where Batman was a campy TV classic. Therefore Jack took the role and pretty much portrayed him as a messed up clown. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were obviously very dark and more serious films and threw the original origin story out the window in favor for a more intelectual Joker with an intricate plan of corruption and manipulation. While I do think Heath did a better portrayal of him, I don't think it's that fair to compare the two..."
    They didn't throw the origin story out the window. What you saw in Batman Begins was the original origin story. That's how Batman became Batman in the comics.
    albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By albaker

Both portrayals are different, Jack portrayed a more humorous kind just like a "clown". Heath on the other hand portrayed a dark, depressed, disturbed anarchist whose main objective was to terrorize and kill no matter what happens and both actors played amazing roles and portrayed the Joker perfectly even though both of them were different from the other.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Wolverine

I never saw Jack as the Joker, so Heath

HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HitNRun
    Bulldog19892 said:
    They didn't throw the origin story out the window. What you saw in Batman Begins was the original origin story. That's how Batman became Batman in the comics."
    No, Batman became Batman in the comics sitting in his mansion with a shit-eating grin on his face looking at some bats. But you're right, the Batman Begins story is closer to the original than the Tim Burton films, IMO.

I say Jack was better, just because he fit his movie more. Heath definitely was more impactful as a psych thriller, but it's slightly out of place for the sort of world that was set up in Batman Begins. I'd say to wait for the hype to die down (which will probably take years, and may never happen because of his sudden death) before making a final analysis.
    Fax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Fax
    Bulldog19892 said:
    "Everyones_A_Critic said:
    "Falkien said:
    "

"

Exactly what I would say. Burton's Batman films were of a different style than the Christopher Nolan films. Remember that the Tim Burton films were coming off of an era where Batman was a campy TV classic. Therefore Jack took the role and pretty much portrayed him as a messed up clown. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were obviously very dark and more serious films and threw the original origin story out the window in favor for a more intelectual Joker with an intricate plan of corruption and manipulation. While I do think Heath did a better portrayal of him, I don't think it's that fair to compare the two..."
    They didn't throw the origin story out the window. What you saw in Batman Begins was the original origin story. That's how Batman became Batman in the comics."
    I think he meant the Joker's Orgin but the joker has no spefic orgin he had two orgins in the movie which was a nod to the comic book.
    Dimitris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By Dimitris

you can't compare the two because Jack played the funny joker and heath played the more evil joker. They are two different jokers. can't compare

BlindEffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By BlindEffekt

Heath, played an equally funny and scary joker. _b

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By RHCPfan24

I loved Jack's performance so much, but Heath played such a different portrayal than his.  Overall, I would say Heath though.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By lord_canti

i loved  heaths proformence and its one of the grate portrayals of a psychopath.

but can i just throw a name out there ....

Mark Hamill !!!!!!!!

caption
    caption

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By Meowayne

The quality of Nolan's joker came from the script, not from the performance.

Burtons Joker was relatively weak, script-wise. But what Jack Nicholson did with it was, and is amazing.

So Nicholson it is.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By clubsandwich
    suneku said:
    "Heath portrayed a perfect dark and sadistic Joker. Before him I thought no one else could do the Joker better then Jack.. I'm glad I was wrong
    "
    this.
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By guiseppe
    Meowayne said:
    "The quality of Nolan's joker came from the script, not from the performance.

Burtons Joker was relatively weak, script-wise. But what Jack Nicholson did with it was, and is amazing.

So Nicholson it is."
    Took the words out of my mouth. With that said though, I really like the character of the Joker in the new movie.
    As for the imdb rating, I feel that The Dark Knight shouldn't even be on the top 250. It was good, but not that good, but then again I didn't care much for the first one either.
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pibo47
    suneku said:
    "Heath portrayed a perfect dark and sadistic Joker. Before him I thought no one else could do the Joker better then Jack.. I'm glad I was wrong
    "
    I am in the exact same boat. Or was in the exact same boat.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#37  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Damn, why do you make me choose?! I think I'll have to go with Heath, that was some of the best acting I've ever seen. RIP Heath.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.