The King of Fighters XIV is a 2.5D tag-team fighting game developed by SNK and published for the PlayStation 4 in North America (by Atlus on August 23, 2016), in Japan (by SNK on August 25, 2016), and in Europe (by Deep Silver on August 26, 2016).
The fourteenth main installment of the King of Fighters series (and the first to not originate as an arcade game), King of Fighters XIV features another graphical revamp (this time using full-fledged 3D graphics for both characters and backgrounds, similar to the KOF: Maximum Impact series). Along with updated gameplay systems (including the "Just Defend" parrying mechanic from Garou: Mark of the Wolves and a new autocombo system for beginners), the game includes a wide variety of new playable fighters (including new story protagonist Shun'ei). It also features a special online game mode, dubbed Party Battle, that allows teams of multiple players (with up to six players in a single match).
The game starts the series's fourth major storyline, set sometime after the foiled plot of the Those From The Past organization (where Ash Crimson erases himself, along with his ancestor Saiki, from existence). With the dwindling popularity of the King of Fighters tournament itself (due to other tournaments trying to cash-in on the name), the Russian billionaire Antonov buys out the rights to the tournament name and launches a worldwide tournament (with him as the "returning champion"). However, the time anomaly from the previous storyline causes a new mysterious entity to emerge (with a connection to kung fu master Tung Fu Rue's mysterious disciple Shun'ei).
It was later ported to the PC (by Abstraction) and released digitally (via Steam) by SNK on June 15, 2017 as The King of Fighters XIV: Steam Edition. It was also ported to arcades (running PC-based Taito Type X3 hardware with the NESiCAxLive2 digital distribution platform) in Japan on June 29, 2017 as The King of Fighters XIV: Arcade Ver.
- Shun'ei (new addition, "Kung-Fu Suit" outfit added on February 1, 2017 as paid DLC)
- Tung Fu Rue
- Meitenkun (new addition, pajama outfit added on April 12, 2017 as paid DLC)
Official Invitation Team
Team South America
Another World Team
- Nakoruru (new addition and guest character from the Samurai Shodown series, school uniform outfit added on February 1, 2017 as paid DLC)
- Mui Mui (new addition and guest character from the Dragon Gal series of pachislot machines)
- Love Heart (new addition and guest character from the Sky Love series of pachislot machines)
South Town Team
Fatal Fury Team
Women Fighters Team
- Mai Shiranui
- Alice (new addition and guest character from the Garou Densetsu series of pachislot machines)
Psycho Solder Team
Art of Fighting Team
- Antonov (new addition and the game's sub-boss, unlockable)
- Verse (new addition and the game's final boss, unlockable)
- Rock Howard (new addition, originally from both Garou: Mark of the Wolves and the KOF: Maximum Impact series, added on April 5, 2017 as paid DLC)
- Yamazaki (added on April 5, 2017 as paid DLC)
- Whip (added on April 5, 2017 as paid DLC)
- Vanessa (added on April 5, 2017 as paid DLC)
- Najd (new addition, added on April 12, 2018 as paid DLC)
- Heidern (added on April 12, 2018 as paid DLC)
- Blue Mary (added on April 12, 2018 as paid DLC)
- Oswald (added on April 12, 2018 as paid DLC)