Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last Guardian

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 06, 2016

The Last Guardian is the long-delayed third game from Sony's Team Ico. Originally revealed in trailer form at E3 2009, the game was met with substantial delays but was reintroduced at E3 2015.

At Last, The Last Guardian - Impressions

• 69 results
    glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The review embargo is approaching it's end (Less than eight hours at this very moment), so we'll probably see some 'official' word on the game later on today (or tomorrow, depending on your location) and whatever it succeeds or falls flats.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that most of the reviews will call it a clunky, more-or-less outdated game, with a few neat tricks and a great, charming athmosphere to it (I guess that actually descripes Ico and Colossus as well, except for the out-dated part). I'd love to be wrong, of course, but some of the hands-on comments and such haven't been too promising.

It's an exclusive though and...well, just like with Duke Nukem Forever, something that I'm very curious about trying myself, so that might be enough for me to jump in, unless the reviews are going to be extremely negative. You guys over at the US are getting it a day early, so I'm expecting some hot comments in exactly 14 hours and 30 minutes, when the game's officially out.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ICO and Shadow are both truly exceptional games so I'm expecting good things from this.

Dayve86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love ICO and Shadow of the Collosus, but after so many years in development I can't see a world where this game isn't at least somewhat of a mess. I'd love to be surprised but my expectations are extremely low.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been waiting for this game for so long and I'm dying to play it. That being said, I do not have ridiculous high expectations for it. I think the game looks great but I guess we'll find out soon if it actually is.

I have it preordered on psn (it doesn't come out until Friday in the UK though) and my fiancée is getting me the collectors edition for Christmas.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I'm guessing an average rating of 72.

Xdeser2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im more curious about this than actually interested in playing it, but I hope its good.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

69% rotten tomatoes

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's probably gonna be real divisive. Team Ico games are always kinda art house flicks that have surprisingly large followings.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Unsurprising but the graphics in that launch trailer look so dated. Most certainly a PS3 game. Hopefully the story make this whole endeavour worthwhile for players and the developers.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BojackHorseman

Here's another question for you guys; will this be Team Ico's last game?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ripelivejam

@dgtlty said:

Unsurprising but the graphics in that launch trailer look so dated. Most certainly a PS3 game. Hopefully the story make this whole endeavour worthwhile for players and the developers.

Really? i thought it looked pretty fantastic. obviously it's an art design over pure amazeballs graphics case (as i'd say was the case with any Team Ico game), but i personally feel it's a pretty stunning aesthetic.

i've also always been a fan of rendered hair/featheres/etc on game creatures so i might be biased.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ripelivejam

i think i may be secretly hoping this game is mediocre/bad though, as there's been too many damn good games this year.

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: It would be awesome if every game was good! :D

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It will be interesting to see, as a second game with a long and troubled development history will be released in as many weeks.

So far the games seem to be batting .500. Duke Nukem Forever came out and was pretty much universally panned, while Final Fantasy XV seems to have overcame that somewhat and has receive mostly positive reviews. Honestly, I've not finished a Team ICO game yet so I'm on the fence about this game and may end up waiting for it to drop in price before diving in. Guess we'll see how this one shakes out soon enough.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ezekiel

@bojackhorseman said:

Ueda is gone. It's hard to care either way.

I don't expect it to be as memorable and awe-inspiring as Shadow of the Colossus. I was never that crazy about the premise. Seems too similar to the previous games, and potentially sappier.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm mainly just amazed that this game is coming out.

I hope it's really good.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: I second this. Whenever people say "man you can tell this was a PS3 game" I don't really get it. I mean I guess I do from a technical perspective but artistically speaking I think it looks amazing.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako: I honestly never thought it would come out.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd assume that depends on how this'll do. I can't imagine that Sony expects it to sell 10 million copies on a launch day (and I don't even know how big the budget is by now and if it can be covered), but they probably still want it to rank in with good reviews and decent sales, just to somehow justify the long development.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm sure if nothing else it will be very atmospheric. Loose controls is something I've come to expect from that team so that won't be a huge deal but to be honest I was never all the interested in this game and I continue to feel pretty much indifferent towards it apart from the novelty of the stretched out development time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff
    deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 18

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RonGalaxy

I really have no hope for this game, but I'm still gonna give it a shot. I expect that most of the work that went into it was done years ago and internally it got shelved, and then after 8 years of people saying "where's The Last Guardian" sony said " fine, take what we got, port it to ps4, polish it, and make sure it has an ending". There's just no fucking way this game was worked on for 8 years straight, unless the devs are terrible (they aren't, because they've made 2 of the most beloved games ever made) or it ends up being this crazy in depth/massive open world game (it isn't).

Also, I really hope a QL goes up today. It seems like Alex has been playing it for a bit, and this game deserves day 0 coverage, even if it ends up being crap.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked SOC a lot. Played ico after that and was probably too late to the party. I thought the idea was interesting but the grind of the game wore on me and I never beat it.

With everything theyve shown (or not shown) and how long it has taken to maken this game, I kinda feel there is no way this game can be good. But who knows, ffxv turned out better than expected. What a crazy year for games.

GRIMREEFZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like an iPad game.

Quantical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the whole idea behind the game but bloody hell, it probably has framerates/resolutions as bad as FFXV.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Gamespot gave it a 9

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was hoping for one last delay for old times sake

Quantical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Quantical

@marc said:

Gamespot gave it a 9

That's Gamespot.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By glots
    pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quantical: it's currently sitting at 82 on Metacritic after 20 reviews.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

auzurafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thrilled to see it getting a positive reception. Shadow of the Colossus is one of my all time favs. Now to contemplate getting a PS4.....

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like what I expected, but with higher review scores. The story must be really good if it's outshining the frustrating gameplay everyone's mentioned in their reviews.

elEden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember getting really exited when the first trailer hit. Ico and Shadow were two of my favorite games from that generation, and sometimes I go back and replay some of them (I really like the way SOTC handles replaying colossi) That said, the on and off dev cycle and the transition from ps3 to ps4 as well as some opinions from people that have played it make it seem like it will be clunky and somewhat outdated.

Still getting it though. Day one. As middling as it may seem right now, I've waited this long and I want to support these types of games. I've been putting a lot of hours in Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, and Watchdogs 2, this will be a nice change. I know that there isnt a deficit of more story based adventure games out there but this one seems huge in scope and Team Ico hasn't disappointed when it comes to atmosphere. Let's see what the G.B. crew things about it.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie: Yeah, the complaints about the camera are a bummer. Their games have always had shitty cameras though.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

It didn't come out a mess, which is all I need to know before buying it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Anyone expecting this game to not be clunky has either never played or forgotten how clunky ICO and SOTC were.

corporalgregg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By corporalgregg

If this is anywhere as good as some of these reviews make it sound, I can handle technical issues. I absolutely adored ICO and SOTC when they came out and still enjoyed them when I replayed them on PS3. I'm definitely picking it up at midnight now. The TIME review is kind of incredible: "Trico becomes The Last Guardian‘s ultimate puzzle, a Melvilleian force of nature grafted onto an ambulatory keyring tucked inside a transcendent simulacrum."

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I definitely want to get it, but it may need to wait a few weeks. This holiday season has been completely packed.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The TIME review is kind of incredible: "Trico becomes The Last Guardian‘s ultimate puzzle, a Melvilleian force of nature grafted onto an ambulatory keyring tucked inside a transcendent simulacrum."

That sounds pretentious as hell.

I think IGN's review seems to be the most down to earth review...for once. They still say the companionship is fantastic and the puzzles are interesting along with the breathtaking artwork in the large landscapes and buildings but then the shit camera wonky AI of the creature test your patience and even more so in confined areas.

lol at the TIME's flowery language.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@corporalgregg said:

The TIME review is kind of incredible: "Trico becomes The Last Guardian‘s ultimate puzzle, a Melvilleian force of nature grafted onto an ambulatory keyring tucked inside a transcendent simulacrum."

That sounds pretentious as hell.

I think IGN's review seems to be the most down to earth review...for once. They still say the companionship is fantastic and the puzzles are interesting along with the breathtaking artwork in the large landscapes and buildings but then the shit camera wonky AI of the creature test your patience and even more so in confined areas.

lol at the TIME's flowery language.

Some people need to justify that english degree you know.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By DharmaBum
    Avatar image for vincentvendetta
    VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

Huh! Better than I hoped! Eurogamer even gave it an "essential".

Too bad I don't have a PS4... or money.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

If every game were good, then most good games wouldn't sell well, and their developers would go out of business or cut costs until not every game was good again.

@ripelivejam: It would be awesome if every game was good! :D

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The framerate on normal PS4 may stop me from getting it. Hopefully there will be a patch to alleviate that a bit.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be shocked if the controls were good, given that, great in their own ways, past Team Ico games never played well.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EricSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finished the game yesterday. As a piece of art, it looks fantastic. As a game, it is a real piece of shit.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@glots said:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that most of the reviews will call it a clunky, more-or-less outdated game, with a few neat tricks and a great, charming athmosphere to it (I guess that actually descripes Ico and Colossus as well, except for the out-dated part). I'd love to be wrong, of course, but some of the hands-on comments and such haven't been too promising.

What? You expect it to be outdated in ways the older games aren't? Because the older games definitely feel long in the tooth. Is it because it looks like a PS3 game?

Anyone expecting this game to not be clunky has either never played or forgotten how clunky ICO and SOTC were.

Yeah that does seem to get glossed over when these games are mentioned as masterpieces. Ico in particular is rough. Mind you I like both of them (well, more Shadow, but Ico has that killer ending).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.