Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last Guardian

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 06, 2016

The Last Guardian is the long-delayed third game from Sony's Team Ico. Originally revealed in trailer form at E3 2009, the game was met with substantial delays but was reintroduced at E3 2015.

Last But Not Least

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

"What are you doing, bud" I asked my TV. Trico. He was rolling around in a shallow pool of water, emitting bassy chirps of pleasure. I couldn't help but crack a smile. The goofy playfullness reminded me of my dogs back home, and as it had done dozens of times already, The Last Guardian instigated a sudden pang of homesickness.

This is the exact moment I fell in love with this dumb goofball.
    This is the exact moment I fell in love with this dumb goofball.

"No, that way" I pointed again, stamping my little feet in frustration. Trico's head snaked around to look at me, curiously. Tilted slightly to one side, he regarded me and my frustration stoically. But then his ears twitch, perked, and his head snaps back to the direction I had motioned. His feet shuffle around, tail swishing past and almost knocking me off my feet. I can't help but grin again, as I leap clumsily onto the back of his leg, just as his ruffled wings spread in preperation for takeoff. Fucking finally!

The Last Guardian is a beautiful game, and in it's own way, groundbreaking.

There is more personality and life to Trico than to any number of voiced human characters you could name. To make a character feel alive, you need to give it independence; The game will prompt you to issue commands, but often they feel less like commands and more like requests, which are slowly and methodically considered and then either dismissed or carried out. There will be misunderstandings, and frustrations. And then sometimes everything will click, and you'll feel so in tune and grateful that you cannot help but feel pride at what you've both just accomplished. "Good boy!" I mutter to my TV, overwhelmed with relief. Yeah!

No Caption Provided

It's hard to stay mad at Trico. He doesn't always promptly do what you want, but in a way that is often incredibly endearing. It doesn't feel like you're fighting an algorithm, it's as though you're training an animal. Trico has been so carefully crafted that it's impossible to think of him as just a tool to help you achieve your goals; he is a companion, one that may at times be obtuse, though through his grace and intuition he is seldom held responsible. It's your job to help him understand what you need him to do, and if you can't then that's your fault, not his.

This is naturalistic game design at it's finest.

No Caption Provided

There are systems in play, of course, and there is slight repetition of gameplay elements and mechanics. Of these, many are far from perfect (One could argue that the core antagonist in the Last Guardian is the camera, maliciously uncooperative in such a precarious and claustrophobic landscape). But what makes The Last Guardian shine is its attention to detail. It's in the gutteral barks Trico shoots at you as you clamber over fallen masonry, in his nervous hopping after being spooked, his feline mistrust of water, and his piercing focus when he sees you lumbering forward with a treat. It's in the way your arms boyishly flail around as you rush down the stairs, and in your heartbreakingly piteous limping after taking a heavy fall. There's over 9 years worth of attention to detail in this game, and it shows.

Since finishing The Last Guardian I still feel that weird protective attachment to Trico. It's sometimes unsettling to think that so many other people are sharing those experiences, which seem so personal. That sense of ownership is strong, and it feels strange knowing that you have to share it.

"Bonding" is often characterised by emotions such as affection and trust. And shared hardships, and sadness. Terrible, terrible sadness.

Thanks for reading

Love Sweep

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

You love that pup!

Or whatever the hell that thing is.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I really need to play this thing. I'll pick it up soon.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

As I get toward the end of the year and come to terms with all the amazing games that will have to wait until 2017, The Last Guardian's exclusion from my GotY consideration stings the most. I sincerely can't wait to get to know Trico, and your post's emphasis on the frustrations and joys of pets describes exactly why. At least I have my cat Waffles who ignores anything I say. That's close enough, right?

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By cloudymusic

Sounds a lot like my feelings on the game. I haven't finished it yet, but I'm not looking forward to finally reaching the end, in more ways than one.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#5 sweep  Moderator

At least I have my cat Waffles who ignores anything I say. That's close enough, right?

Pretty much... except now imagine people you don't like are stabbing Waffles with needles and you have to run as fast as you can to save him.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

@sweep: So... it's basically Vet Trip Simulator 2016?

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By gerrid

This is a nice write up and reflects quite accurately how I felt too.

'Requesting not commanding' I think is the fundamental difference, and very nicely put. It's that feeling that you are co-operating with something independent rather than being the powerful puppetmaster. It's what made the game feel so fresh and what made Trico feel like something real to me. Those moments where Trico whines or yaps because you disappear out of sight felt meaningful because I figured we were in this together and me disappearing has the same effect on Trico, as him disappearing does on me.

It's a really wonderful game and I don't think we will see another like it for quite some time.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Glad to see people showing this game the love it deserves and not misunderstanding the AI.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#9  Edited By pyromagnestir

Trico behaves so much like my sister's dog that after a while I started to call it by the dog's name, which only made me feel worse when anything happened to Trico. So much so I somehow got the intensive care trophy without trying to do so, and that is now my most treasured achievement/trophy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.