Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last Guardian

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 06, 2016

The Last Guardian is the long-delayed third game from Sony's Team Ico. Originally revealed in trailer form at E3 2009, the game was met with substantial delays but was reintroduced at E3 2015.

Last Guardian's director apologizes for delay.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

There's an excerpt from a recent Edge interview with Ueda where he speaks about Last Guardian and apologizes for the delay. He says he would like to discuss the details of his leaving to be a freelancer within the context of a Last Guardian post-mortem.

Given your impatience, how taxing have the past eight years been on you as a creator?

Putting aside the short-term output, more than anything I feel terribly sorry that for various reasons I have kept my audience waiting for such a long time.

How do you keep your team motivated over a production cycle of five years or more?

Maintaining motivation is all about producing something great. A hobby or alcohol might help to refresh you temporarily, but they won’t motivate creativity. Also, the original staff members on Ico and SOTC are just as fussy over details as I am. I always want to create quickly, and I always want to increase the rate of production. In the case of The Last Guardian, my creative work was mostly finished a long time ago, but the details of when, where and how it will be completed are beyond my control.

Why did you decide to go freelance?

It’s difficult to explain, but in a nutshell it was because I felt a sense of crisis within myself about a lot of things. It’s hard to say exactly what, but in terms of my own growth and career and so on.

What did it feel like to leave a company where you had worked for so long?

When I worked at SCE, I was on an annual contract, so it was not as much of a change as those around me might think. Recently, I’ve been working at my home office and often at SCE’s Shinagawa office in Tokyo.

What was Sony’s reaction?

It was not easy, but I can’t go into the details just yet. It will be good to be able to discuss it along with a post-mortem of The Last Guardian someday.

What are you working on now?

The Last Guardian and the rest is secret. Outside of games, well, just for a hobby, I’d like to try my hand at art.

Source

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Show results or stop talking about it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@ezekiel said:

Stop talking about it? This is practically the most anyone has said concrete regarding The Last Guardian in years.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By falserelic

Hopefully the game can make it on the ps4.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@hailinel said:

@ezekiel said:

Stop talking about it? This is practically the most anyone has said concrete regarding The Last Guardian in years.

but he's pretty much saying absolutely nothing with this, either way. Besides I guess "THINK HOW I FEEL I'M WORKING ON THIS?!?"

Just show something new or yeah, who cares. Why would people need an apology for a game that doesn't come out?

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:

This goes for everyone. Just stop. It's embarrassing. Every time theres a Sony Exec in the room there's that lingering awkward question 'When's Last Guaridan coming out?' or if you're Geoff Keighley, 'When's Agent coming out?' we should all just stop talking about it and it'll happen when it'll happen.

Right now I'm looking forward to Rime to fill that itch -

So beautiful
    So beautiful
    Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Wolfgame

Hopefully the game can make it on the ps4.

Based on the ambiguous nature of that interview above, I think that would be a safe assumption. What he said still makes it seem like this game is a couple of years from seeing release. I would agree that this title will probably be moved to PS4.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wait, he's gone freelance? What? So that means he doesn't work with Sony exclusively anymore? Did he take a studio with him?

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShadyPingu

Aww, it's okay, buddy. Just do your best!

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I'm amazed at how honest it is, but still a bit of the Japanese humility we tend to expect..... Booze and also PS3 development is so hard for everyone, Gabe Newell wasn't kidding when he brought that up.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Patiently waiting over here bro.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully the game can make it on the ps5.

fix'd

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.