Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

Best difficulty setting

ericio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have heard a lot of good things about this game and was thinking of getting it. I heard that hard difficulty will have you sneaking around a lot and you will have less supplies. Would it be more fun to play on normal so that you can craft more things?

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By smcn

I've been playing on Hard and I've found as far as stealth games are concerned The Last of Us leaves a lot to be desired. However on the whole the most difficult time I've had so far was the first encounter with a clicker, everything else has been pretty much smooth sailing.

To more directly answer your question, there is a limit to how many of each material type and craftable you can carry, and playing on Hard I've never been in a situation where I didn't have something that I really needed (mainly med kits and shivs). The more interesting part in my opinion is you get fewer supplements--which are what you use for upgrades such as health and listen mode distance--so spending them is actually a meaningful decision.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I played on Normal and never felt like it was too easy.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Gargantuan

I played on hard. I liked that difficulty but you had a bit too much supplies sometimes and Joel has too much health.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I played it on hard the first time through and I never had a shortage of ammo or crafting supplies.

The Survival difficulty seems to be the only one that actually forces you to manage your supplies carefully.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed playing on Hard because it felt like it added to the atmosphere of the world and how scarce resources really would be.

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing through on Hard.

I'm currently separated from Ellie in the sewers, in this large open area. Fucking hard.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unilad: I just finished that part, tried it stealthily a couple times before deciding to just shoot everything from the entrance. For some reason the runners didn't all aggro me at once and I was able to pick them off one by one. Went through most of my ammo though.

moon_frog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having a pretty easy time on hard. Supplies are scare but I've never once completely run out of ammo or defensive weapons. Running and gunning is still quite viable and infected drop ammo.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard is the best out of the 3 availble to start off with. Survivor is how that game is meant to be played (sad its only available after beating the game).

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played on hard and had a great time. It got pretty challenging in places but I never felt like I was being forced to use stealth to survive.

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Willza92

I have never hated a game so much while playing through on hard for my first run. It made beating the game ever more satisfying and I can honestly say I suck a little less a stealth games as a result.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the higher difficulty (and decreased items for you to scavenge) of Hard difficulty makes the game more enjoyable, at least for me it did.

matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I went hard until my save said I was 80% done. Without spoilers, I was in a shed with a companion, super low ammo and guys coming through the windows.

Ran it so many times but in the end I had to admit defeat and drop to normal.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard is the way to go

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ericio123: Play it on Hard. That's what I did on my first playthrough and towards the end of the game I had one of the best experiences in gaming. People who played on Normal say that the game gets way too easier and you just mow down dudes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.