Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

Checking your blind spots

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

So I saw there is a podcast coming up called Checking your blind spots and the background image is from TLoU. You think that means that they are finally going to talk about The Last of Us? As far as I know Jeff or Brad still haven't played the game, but they might have done it by now.

I can understand if they weren't in the mood when it was released, because of Ryan's passing, and it might take some time to be in the right place mentally to play that game. And this is not to sound rude, but I would find it a little weird if they haven't played what might be the the second most talked about game this year. It's safe to say that GTA V will overshadow pretty much anything over the next couple of months.

Anyways I would be really interested in hearing their thoughts about the game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

It could be Patrick interviewing the some of the Naughty Dog folks rather than some sort of spoiler-cast, but it's undoubtedly The Last of Us related at the very least.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@yummylee said:

It could be Patrick interviewing the some of the Naughty Dog folks rather than some sort of spoiler-cast, but it's undoubtedly The Last of Us related at the very least.

Oh, you mean the Naughty Men? That's what Naughty Dog employees are called in everyday speech, right?

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Oh, I totally thought it was a driving podcast or stream involving Drew.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yeah I am expecting an interview with some naughty men

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one at Giant Bomb besides Patrick seems interested in playing that game.

I'm sure they'll eventually check it out for GOTY purposes, but I doubt that would even be in consideration.

I mean, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons came out this year, so why even bother?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@wjb said:

I don't think that's fair to say at all. They're not in the mood for it, but I've never gotten the impression that Jeff or Brad and Vinny even moreso have no interest in the game. To the contrary, I think they're mostly afraid that they're going to "feel some type of way" © rich homie quan and they would just rather not. Have you seen the games they're playing lately? Liberal helpings of Saints Row IV alongside likely larks for site purposes and nostalgia bombs from their childhood. It's a very innocent time for Giant Bomb and, even as a huge fan of this game, I get tired of the slightly accusatory tone (intended or not) the staff receives for not having had a full blown discussion of the game.

Like it or not, The Last of Us was one of the last Quick Looks Ryan was involved with (the others were Deadpool and Game & Wario, hardly megatons) and he was extremely excited to play it. If I were in the staff's shoes I probably wouldn't have wanted to play that game any time soon either.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Yummylee
    @wjb said:

I'm sure they'll eventually check it out for GOTY purposes, but I doubt that would even be in consideration.

Vinny's completed it as well and he (rightfully so :P) thought it was ''phenomenal''. But yeah, It doesn't look very likely that Brad, or especially Jeff, will ever get around to it at this rate. What with the next-gen consoles on the horizon and all.

@grissefar said:

@yummylee said:

Oh, you mean the Naughty Men? That's what Naughty Dog employees are called in everyday speech, right?

Well, sure, if there weren't also women that worked at Naughty Dog...

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@yummylee said:
    @grissefar said:

@yummylee said:

Oh you like those Naughty Ho's don't you? I always knew that about ya.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By wjb

@nodima said:

@wjb said:

I don't think that's fair to say at all. They're not in the mood for it, but I've never gotten the impression that Jeff or Brad and Vinny even moreso have no interest in the game. To the contrary, I think they're mostly afraid that they're going to "feel some type of way" © rich homie quan and they would just rather not. Have you seen the games they're playing lately? Liberal helpings of Saints Row IV alongside likely larks for site purposes and nostalgia bombs from their childhood. It's a very innocent time for Giant Bomb and, even as a huge fan of this game, I get tired of the slightly accusatory tone (intended or not) the staff receives for not having had a full blown discussion of the game.

Like it or not, The Last of Us was one of the last Quick Looks Ryan was involved with (the others were Deadpool and Game & Wario, hardly megatons) and he was extremely excited to play it. If I were in the staff's shoes I probably wouldn't have wanted to play that game any time soon either.

I understand, but I think you're reading too much into what I said. I was merely making a statement to the OP; it wasn't supposed to come off as whining because honestly, I don't care if they ever play The Last of Us or not. I appreciated the game in what it was setting out to do, but it was a chore to play (and not necessarily because of the themes involved).

I realize this is going to sound dickish -- I'm purely speaking for myself so I apologize ahead of time -- but I try not to assume how other people live their lives. Besides, I don't think Giant Bomb was anticipating that game like other sites were. I could be mistaken.

And maybe they're playing Saints RowIV because it is the only game in their wheelhouse worth playing for the past two months? The Bureau is disappointing, according to Vinny; Splinter Cell is specific to a certain audience; Killer Is Dead is apparently boring; Diablo III is a port from a year-old game; and they don't seem as interested in horror games like Outlast or Amnesia as Patrick is.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nodima

Yea, I wasn't responding directly to you either, really. I've just noticed a lot of huge fans of the game with (perhaps?) less level heads than mine who take an accusatory tone when talking about Giant Bomb's coverage of the game. I've only been with the site for about a year but I can tell, even when covering Kinect, sports and strange fantasy games, it's coming from a loving place rather than a content place, if that makes sense. Given the circumstances of the past year, The Last of Us sounds like something I as an employee of Giant Bomb (let alone close, decade-long friend of Ryan Davis) wouldn't want to play for a long, long time. And I think their choices of games to play in their free-time along with their reactions to certain games vs. others on UPF and the Quick Looks betrays a strong desire for carefree, humorous, gameplay-oriented experiences.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, Ryan's "Omar comin'" quip while Ellie is whistling during the Last of Us QL is one of my favorite moments as a Wire stan. RIPRD.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima: I think that's always been Jeff's philosophy, as far as I can remember. Based on his tastes, he'd rather have fun than experience The Most Important Story in Video Games (e.g., choosing Far Cry 3 over The Walking Dead during last year's GOTY).

And I forgot the most important factor: Brad fell down that DOTA 2 hole hard last Spring. That's all he really played for months, it seemed.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Yummylee

@yummylee said:
    @grissefar said:

@yummylee said:

Oh you like those Naughty Ho's don't you? I always knew that about ya.

http://expresswithgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/mrhumphries.gif

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Nekroskop

I really hope it's a podcast about tLoU and not an interview. If I even see Gone Home in top 10 and not The Last of Us, I will be very disappointed.

@wjb "And I forgot the most important factor: Brad fell down that DOTA 2 hole hard last Spring. That's all he really played for months, it seemed."

That might actually change:

No Caption Provided

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@wjb said:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.