Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

Confirmed: No upgrade discount for PS3 owners

• 62 results
    Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@yummylee said:

@humanity said:

@mooseymcman: Well everyone is entitled to their own opinions and enjoyment obviously. I did not enjoy playing the game half as much as I enjoyed unraveling the story and I think objectively the gameplay mechanics just weren't that great. For a game of such scope it felt strange how half baked a lot of it was.

Stating that the gameplay mechanics objectively weren't that great is ridiculous.

It's only ridiculous if you're one of those people that can't understand how an objective analysis would work. But were not here to discuss the finer point of the English language obviously!

It's a shame they're not offering a discount code for original owners, but for those that haven't experienced the story yet what better way to do so than on a next gen system. There are some games I wouldn't mind buying again to play with better graphics and smaller load times, Last of Us isn't one of them but who knows what the future may hold. At the same time I hope this won't become a trend as I much rather play new games than revisit old ones.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52  Edited By AndrewB

They also didn't offer upgrade pricing for Tomb Raider. I know it's a multiplatform title, but there's been precedent for that upgrade pricing model to only have been specifically for games from that small release window before the current generation of consoles were released, and where both versions were being developed simultaneously.

Okay, Tomb Raider might not be the perfect example because I'm not sure if the console versions were being worked on in any capacity or if they only came about because it was simple to port over from the PC version of the game, compared to The Last of Us, which was only created for a console with vastly different hardware.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Never expected an upgrade discount, still going to buy it.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

How would they even do the upgrade discount if you bought it physically? Would it just be the Online Pass that unlocks it?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@humanity said:

@yummylee said:

@humanity said:

@mooseymcman: Well everyone is entitled to their own opinions and enjoyment obviously. I did not enjoy playing the game half as much as I enjoyed unraveling the story and I think objectively the gameplay mechanics just weren't that great. For a game of such scope it felt strange how half baked a lot of it was.

Stating that the gameplay mechanics objectively weren't that great is ridiculous.

It's only ridiculous if you're one of those people that can't understand how an objective analysis would work. But were not here to discuss the finer point of the English language obviously!

Don't patronise me. I know what you're saying; you're pushing your opinion that The Last of Us' gameplay is''half-baked'' and ''not that great'' as objective fact, which is--again--ridiculous, and not to mention an oxymoron.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

How would they even do the upgrade discount if you bought it physically? Would it just be the Online Pass that unlocks it?

I'm guessing they would do it like they did with Battlefield 4 and Assassin's Creed 4, you use your PS3 disc to launch a downloaded copy on the PS4 system you purchased for X dollars. You would need your PS3 disc to play the game - that's how I play Battlefield and AC4 on the PS4.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@ttocs: Oh that's really weird but kinda cool.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#58  Edited By Humanity

@yummylee: No one is patronising you so I'd appreciate it if you took the intensity down a few notches. Is it a robust stealth game? No. Is it a well handling shooter? No. Is it a great platformer? No. All three of these core components that make up the game are serviceable but hardly exemplary. The stealth is simplistic and rather crude. The shooting is made superficially more difficult to simulate "realism" that doesn't appear in other aspects of gameplay. The platforming mechanics are almost non-existent and highlight just how static the environment you occupy really is. So it's perfectly fine to have enjoyed any one of these parts of the game, but objectively they weren't really that well developed. Are you going to honestly argue that the platforming was as engaging as an Uncharted title, or that the stealth was as sophisticated as a Splinter Cell game? They weren't, and that is what I mean by half-baked.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#59  Edited By Yummylee

@humanity: You were implying that I didn't know the meaning of objectivity, which is pretty damn patronising. And again, you're putting your opinion on a pedestal as if it officially represents The Last of Us. I myself consider The Last of Us to be one of the most memorable stealth/shooter games ever, but under your logic I'm ''wrong'' and going against the factual narrative that The Last of Us' gameplay isn't that ''great''.

Its gameplay excels because it could be either or; you can play it as a stealth game, but can also turn it into a hectic firefight, sometimes inadvertently. But that doesn't mean the game is then simply on full alert, as you're able to sneak back into stealth should they lose sight of you. The limited resources give the game an air of desperation that makes every bullet, every shiv count, at least on Hard mode. The shooting can be difficult, but that works with its design as it forces you to consider other options, be it again reverting to stealth and attempting to strangle/shiv the Hunters/infected, or by building a molotov. The amount of weapons and options at your disposal only increases as the game progresses at that, and facing against the hunters or the infected is of a very different and distinctive experience.

Joel's sluggish and comparatively slow movement again works to the game's favour because of how it reflects on Joel as a character. He's past his prime, he's not some Nathan Drake acrobat; he's not leaping across buildings and in fact can barely even jump. It's a perfect example of the story mechanically affecting the gameplay, which should be something that's worth praising given how much narrative dissonance there is in so many games of this nature.

Also, platforming? The fuck? The game doesn't have any platforming. It has basic traversal, but that's not a core component of its gameplay and only exists for environmental context. In fact you yourself even said that the platforming doesn't exist... and yet that's somehow a negative? Gears of War doesn't have platforming either, so I guess that too is just as ''half baked'' then. Frankly what that tells me is you're judging The Last of Us as if it's something it's not, much like how you're comparing it so directly to Splinter Cell. The Last of Us isn't Splinter Cell, it's The Last of Us. If anything the Manhunt games would be a better comparison if one had to be made.

EDIT: This should go without saying, but I dont have any problem with you not enjoying The Last of Us' gameplay, nor that you consider it ''half-baked''. The problem I have of course is how you're strutting it around as if it simply is; it is the way of things and that's that. So I (once again, given that we've had this discussion before) elaborated on why I think The Last of Us' gameplay is brilliant, to prove that, hey, different viewpoints exist.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By wrighteous86

I'll be getting the upgrade discount, because I probably won't be buying the new systems for a while, and by the time I do, I can probably "upgrade" Last of Us and Tomb Raider for $20 each.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

i dont expect a discount when buying a game of the year game so this doesnt bother me.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#62  Edited By Nodima

@andrewb said:

They also didn't offer upgrade pricing for Tomb Raider.

I don't know how long it was after the upgrade was released, but I bought a PS4 in February and it was just a week or so afterward that Tomb Raider was in flash sale for $30. I know that doesn't really apply to this situation, but I didn't have to pay full price for it (and mainly bought it because I enjoyed it so much for free on PS3 from PS+).

Also, @yummylee, I've got your back. @humanity usually stands out to me as one of the better posters on this forum but his use of "objective" here is very silly. Like you, I found The Last of Us to be one of the more (potentially) varied experiences I've had with a game, and both sides of the coin were exhilarating in their own way. Humanity, maybe you're just remembering how the final confrontations of the game essentially forced you into being a war machine and forgetting how everything else in the game was pretty damn contextual and dependent on the desires of the player?

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@yummylee said:

@humanity said:

It's a shame they're not offering a discount code for original owners, but for those that haven't experienced the story yet what better way to do so than on a next gen system. There are some games I wouldn't mind buying again to play with better graphics and smaller load times, Last of Us isn't one of them but who knows what the future may hold. At the same time I hope this won't become a trend as I much rather play new games than revisit old ones.

No no no no no. You don't know what objective means.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.