Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

eeeeeeeeeeee

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

-------

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Tennmuerti

One of the reasons I like the original Fallout games (1 & 2) is because they handle the first two issues you mention much better then most other post apoc games, with organised societies, farming, mining, trading quickly getting reestablished and later being quite stable and networked, something that Bethesda really dropped the ball with Fallout 3 and fell right into those tropes.

As far as any zombification "science" goes it's all silly nonsense as a rule.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: Exactly, it was such a relief to see them come back in New Vegas and basically pants Bethesda. Goodsprings was a revelation that let me know that the masters were back behind the helm. Communities, farms, stable electricity (it's not magic, it's electricity!), political ideology, people living lives rather than just maintaining them.

When I think deeper on it, Bethesda's villainous political faction wanted everyone to admit the Enclave is in charge... and then to kill everyone for no reason. Presumably in that order. Because I think the guys at Bethesda take their ideas about oppressive governments from Sith Lords rather than the tyrants of history. At least Obsidian and Naughty Dog appear to realize that what sovereigns want is access to the production of the people.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By ZombiePie
    Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Scampbell

Kinda reminds of when people argue that without the ten commandments people would just go around killing each other.

Also I want a game based on the world of Cormack McCarthy's The Road.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda reminds of when people argue that without the ten commandments people would just go around killing each other.

Also I want a game based on the world of Cormack McCarthy's The Road.

Exactly. Because of the supernatural element many people believe the Ten Commandments were handed out and then society followed them, rather than that the society held the morals found within and then the Ten Commandments codified them.

Also I've heard other people compare the Last of Us to The Road.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It must really suck to watch movies and play games without the ability for willing suspension of disbelief.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alwaysbebombing said:

It must really suck to watch movies and play games without the ability for willing suspension of disbelief.

There's a difference between suspension of disbelief and verisimilitude. Suspension of disbelief is recognizing this is fiction and not reality. Verisimilitude is the quality we identify in fiction as having a reality that is internally consistent. If suddenly gravity changes in Bayonetta 2 due to 'the effects of Paradiso' we go 'alright, that aligns itself to what we know of the world'. If suddenly gravity changes in The Last of Us we go 'what is this bullshit, a hallucination?' I'm pleased that the social side of the game is actually internally consistent, I believe humans would behave the way they do. However, almost everything with the zombies makes so little sense so as to break verisimilitude in ways that could have been avoided.

QUITE EASILY in fact. All they had to do was establish that this human cordyceps mutates the host body to 'flower' rather than grow mushrooms. You know how all these zombies could survive 20 years without food and keep moving around? Photosynthesis. Having them just keep going independent of anything going in breaks reality more than "how does Nathan Drake kill this entire platoon of troops?" or "how do I fit this all in my pack?"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.