Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

I just can't get myself to play this more...

• 59 results
    Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By colourful_hippie

YouTube the cutscenes, dude. That's what I did after I got sick of playing and I lost absolutely nothing from the story and resulting emotional impact by watching it online instead of playing

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

AI can't alert enemies only you and what you do.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By ericdrum
    Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ericdrum: 5 stars, incredible narrative with great characters and dialogue, the ending was what helped set the story apart. I don't think the game is GoTY quality but the story is superb

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think the story is ok but pretty generic, it's not on my top 10 list.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@baillie said:

Yeah, I still haven't progressed more. Man, this game just isn't interesting me sadly. :(

Knock the difficulty down and just rush through the gameplay sections if you really need to finish it.

The gameplay here is not all that great. There are some encounters with human enemies that are fun, but good chunks of the game are not. Clickers kill you instantly so once you've alerted them, you're fucked. Some encounters with human enemies actually spawn new guys if you alert them, which is really fucking cheap. Encounters get quite repetitive toward the latter half of the game and it becomes an uninteresting stealth game.

That said, I definitely think it belongs on a top 10 games of 2013 list. It's absolutely gorgeous from top-to-bottom, quite well-written, and it does atmosphere and environments wonderfully. These things make seeing The Last of Us through to the end worth it. In the GOTY podcast, Jeff Gerstmann said that he likes everything about The Last of Us except playing it (paraphrased) and that's pretty much my opinion, too.

And no, I'm not bad at games. I played through almost the entire game on Hard because I liked the idea of a game that enforced scarcity of resources and made you think of other ways to get through enemies. I finally knocked it down to easy at the last encounter because fuck that, I only wanted to see the end of the story. At least Bioshock Infinite, for all its problems, had some fun moments and ideas.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#57  Edited By monkeyking1969

I think I am one encounter away from the game opening up and becoming good...I've been there for six months. That's the deal I HATE, HATE, HATE the encounter I am in. The first hour was great the following four were torture, and now six months later I just don't want to play the game.

I know I should want to grind through this encounter, but I feel being peevishness about it is cathartic. I think Naughty Dog approached this game poorly, I think they had a chance to move away form their 'gun game' crutch that Uncharted games leaned on too heavily. It is crutch for them because THEY could do better. RockStar, Irrational Games, and many other developers aren't that good, they need crutches, but Naughty Dog could have done this game without weapons.

The fact Naughty Dog used weapons, is like a smart kid in the class doing merely B+ work.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think I am one encounter away from the game opening up and becoming good...I've been there for six months. That's the deal I HATE, HATE, HATE the encounter I am in. The first hour was great the following four were torture, and now six months later I just don't want to play the game.

I know I should want to grind through this encounter, but I feel being peevishness about it is cathartic. I think Naughty Dog approached this game poorly, I think they had a chance to move away form their 'gun game' crutch that Uncharted games leaned on too heavily. It is crutch for them because THEY could do better. RockStar, Irrational Games, and many other developers aren't that good, they need crutches, but Naughty Dog could have done this game without weapons.

The fact Naughty Dog used weapons, is like a smart kid in the class doing merely B+ work.

Thank you.

The PR for this had me completely fooled. I might have heard something wrong but I remember Naughty Dog doing PR and them saying how gameplay will be a lot more thoughtful and how combat will actually be something you want to avoid, even more so with infected. Oh well, congratulations on becoming GB 2013 GOTY.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest I think this game and Hitman: Absolution have very similar gameplay sections and mechanics. Like others have said the story is what drives The Last of Us. Once you leave Boston though the game picks up steam.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#60  Edited By Humanity

@monkeyking1969 said:

I think I am one encounter away from teh game opening up and becoming good...I've been there for six months. That's teh deal I HATE, HATE, HATE the encounter I am in. The first hour was great the following four were torture, and now six months later I just don't want to play the game.

Rockstar have proved that they can do better with Bully which had limited combat and a really unique take on open-world gaming from the perspective of a boarding school student. I don't know what makes you think Naughty Dog is above all these others companies as their entire pedigree is based around great VO, mediocre story and repetitive shooting sequences. Uncharted 2 was a really exciting game to play because of the set pieces but I couldn't tell you a single thing about the mundane story it was wrapped around - Galileo's treasure and monkey men or something.

This is completely an aside from the main topic but it kind of irked me that you'd downplay everything Rockstar has done in the gaming business to leaning on a crutch - I suppose if that crutch is great gameplay in really well made games then yeah I agree.

As for the Last of Us I still retain what I said in the beginning of the thread so many months ago. It never got better for me. I started to enjoy the story during Fall because that was the one really powerful segment of the entire plot. The way they cut it together was exceptional and it kept me on the edge of my seat wanting to see more even though at that point I thought it was really hampered down by some of the gameplay they hammed up in there. None of the other parts of the story were as powerful for me. Not the ending, certainly not the giraffes which were a passing novelty at best. Some of the combat sequences were simply too long for their own good.

Actually that's how I'd define the Last of Us - a good story with combat sequences that continue to overstay their welcome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.