Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

Preordered on PSN before price drop? You're out $10.

• 51 results
    Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Source

So as the title suggests, Sony lowered the price for The Last of Us Remastered/HD/Whatever edition from $60 to $50 and is refusing those who preordered $10 cash back on their purchase. Ouch. This isn't gonna go well.

What do you guys think? Personally I think they'll cave in eventually and give out a free shitty game (like Knack) for people's troubles.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Loading Video...

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Source

So as the title suggests, Sony lowered the price for The Last of Us Remastered/HD/Whatever edition from $60 to $50 and is refusing those who preordered $10 cash back on their purchase. Ouch. This isn't gonna go well.

What do you guys think? Personally I think they'll cave in eventually and give out a free shitty game (like Knack) for people's troubles.

You don't get your money back AND they give you Knack? Talk about insult after injury...

They're obviously going to reverse this policy and give people their $10 back (or at least $10 in PSN credit.)

With this and the horrible pricing stuff on Playstation Now Sony is working very hard to kill whatever goodwill they built up through the PS4 launch being better than XBONE. Gamers are fickle and they don't like feeling exploited.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By handlas

Taking one customer service rep as Sony as a whole? The "fine print" he refers to in the article is a big bold sentence at the top of the game pages when you preorder saying they offer no refunds. I won't be surprised if they give you $10 PSN store credit though.

edit: Oh and it already happened while I was replying. That was fast. And to imply you deserve a bigger refund is just silly. I never understand people. Like the people that want refunds for movies they pay to go see and then decide they don't like so they go to the ticket person and ask for a refund. Baffling to me.

shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By shivermetimbers

Still pretty shitty, imo. They should also be compensated more than that for being told that they wouldn't get a refund in the first place. Bad PR on Sony's part, imho. And really, it shouldn't be limited to one guy's tweet.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Pre-ordering digital games

I dont have anything to add, I just wanted to type that out because its so ridiculous.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont have anything to add, I just wanted to type that out because its so ridiculous.

It's the same deal you make with physical games. You gamble on the quality in exchange for some silly little trifle. Personally after the first time I was burned on a pre-order I just stopped altogether because wall-scrolls and posters are not worth the risk of ending up with a bad game.

At least with The Last Of Us you know there's a 99% chance the game will be great (they could screw up the port in some way.)

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@71ranchero said:

It's the same deal you make with physical games. You gamble on the quality in exchange for some silly little trifle. Personally after the first time I was burned on a pre-order I just stopped altogether because wall-scrolls and posters are not worth the risk of ending up with a bad game.

At least with The Last Of Us you know there's a 99% chance the game will be great (they could screw up the port in some way.)

Pre-ordering in general is stupid, but with physical games there is an argument that pre-ordering meant that you were guaranteed a copy of the game on release. At least you are suppose to be guaranteed a copy; that was kinda dependent on what store you pre-ordered from.

Limited supply isn't an issue with digital. So there is zero reason - other than useless bonus content - to pre-order a digital game.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Corevi

@darthorange: The irony is palpable.

No Caption Provided

On topic, I preorder games 2 or so days before release so I can preload them and play at midnight. But that's very rarely and only with games I know I want to play immediately. Last one was Transistor and before that was Bioshock Infinite over a year ago. I didn't preorder The Last of Us because they weren't offering preloads and just bought it at Walmart day of (EB and the local rental store were both sold out).

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bigsocrates

@andorski said:

Pre-ordering in general is stupid, but with physical games there is an argument that pre-ordering meant that you were guaranteed a copy of the game on release. At least you are suppose to be guaranteed a copy; that was kinda dependent on what store you pre-ordered from.

Limited supply isn't an issue with digital. So there is zero reason - other than useless bonus content - to pre-order a digital game.

I think bonus content was always the driving factor, or at least has been for the past 10 or so years. As you say pre-ordering never actually guaranteed anything, plus game stores are almost never out of new releases unless they're obscure, plus there's online shopping...bonuses are what drive it.

You can argue for digital that pre-loading at least lets you start gaming immediately when the game is released. For people with bad Internet and 40 gig downloads that's not a small advantage. It probably takes longer to download 40 gigs than to drive to the other Gamestop one town over.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still pretty shitty, imo. They should also be compensated more than that for being told that they wouldn't get a refund in the first place. Bad PR on Sony's part, imho. And really, it shouldn't be limited to one guy's tweet.

But Sony should be forced to give something extra to people based on one customer service representative following the word of his company's guidelines - aka doing his job - while the actual PR is on top of the matter?

Sony's doing the right thing here, and I think it's completely understandable that customer service representatives would be out of the loop on this - it's a big fucking company. If you have someone call in asking for a refund on a digital purchase when the page of the digital purchase says clearly "NO REFUNDS," you're going to tell them they can't get a refund.

Clearly this is a special situation and Sony's stepping up to do what needs to be done. Demanding more because of a couple hours of annoyance - note: no actual physical or monetary loss, not even loss of PSN service, no actual loss whatsoever - makes no sense besides being entitled.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Totally right! As a Japanese company, I will accept nothing less than Yoshida-san committing seppuku for this outrage!

shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio said:

@shivermetimbers said:

Totally right! As a Japanese company, I will accept nothing less than Yoshida-san committing seppuku for this outrage!

@shivermetimbers said:

But Sony should be forced to give something extra to people based on one customer service representative following the word of his company's guidelines - aka doing his job - while the actual PR is on top of the matter?

Sony's doing the right thing here, and I think it's completely understandable that customer service representatives would be out of the loop on this - it's a big fucking company. If you have someone call in asking for a refund on a digital purchase when the page of the digital purchase says clearly "NO REFUNDS," you're going to tell them they can't get a refund.

Clearly this is a special situation and Sony's stepping up to do what needs to be done. Demanding more because of a couple hours of annoyance - note: no actual physical or monetary loss, not even loss of PSN service, no actual loss whatsoever - makes no sense besides being entitled.

Alright, fair enough. They don't owe them anything (besides a refund), but still.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

any word on if you get a discount for owning the ps3 version?

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

I barely understand why anyone would preorder a physical copy of a game (maybe if it's limited print?) but preordering a digital game...? Why?

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soap said:

I barely understand why anyone would preorder a physical copy of a game (maybe if it's limited print?) but preordering a digital game...? Why?

I'm guessing preorder bonuses.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@soap: Preorder bonuses? Preorder discounts? Preloading?

Two of those three are why I preordered the USFIV DLC before it came out

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why in the hell would you ever pre-order a digital game? It's not like they'll sell out.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

hmmmm seems okay, considering Steam does 10% off, and that's slightly less, but every now and then your lucky to landca TF2 to show off.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By damodar

@corruptedevil: Is it irony if it's entirely self-aware? Obsidian is in California.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By fattony12000

Why would you "preorder" from a digital-only store?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Europe, they only charge you before the game comes out.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Seppli

@fattony12000 said:

Destiny's Beta in July is a prime example of a good reason to preorder digitally. Opposed to buying it at a brick and mortar store, it simply unlocks the beta client for download in the download manager. Certainly less hassle than dealing with the whole unlock code nonsense.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are free to do what they want with their own money, but I don't understand why anyone pre orders games. I enjoy my $$$$ too much to agree to throw it at companies before even knowing how good their product is.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't pre-order video games.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fattony12000
    @seppli said:

@fattony12000 said:

Destiny's Beta in July is a prime example of a good reason to preorder digitally. Opposed to buying it at a brick and mortar store, it simply unlocks the beta client for download in the download manager. Certainly less hassle than dealing with the whole unlock code nonsense.

Wait. What. No.

It took me about 6 seconds and exactly £0 in costs to get and then activate both of these codes...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I now have Destiny beta access on both the PS3 and the PS4.

Who said anything about buying from a brick and mortar store? At this point, I would only buy video games from an actual PLACE if that place was in Japan. Fuck actually going inside Game, for example.

Fuck Game
    Fuck Game

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

honestly if you preordered the game before the price drop you should pay the original price.its the same as buying a game before a sale imo.so no noone should get 10 dollars back,and they sure as hell shouldnt get a free game.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000:

See. You say it yourself. You had 6 seconds of hassle more doing it via Amazon (which is certainly a generous estimate) than I had, preordering Destiny from the PSN Store.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony really needs to reconsider how they handle PSN in general. Aside from the odd smaller title, I would never buy anything off of PSN, their pricing just isn't reasonable. Also, unless the game comes out and has a discount later on, I kind of feel like if you preorder something and it goes down in price before it's released and others can buy it at the same price you did, they could kick that money back to you when they lower the preorder price, anything else is just silly and greedy.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Seppli

@pezen said:

Sony really needs to reconsider how they handle PSN in general. Aside from the odd smaller title, I would never buy anything off of PSN, their pricing just isn't reasonable. Also, unless the game comes out and has a discount later on, I kind of feel like if you preorder something and it goes down in price before it's released and others can buy it at the same price you did, they could kick that money back to you when they lower the preorder price, anything else is just silly and greedy.

PSN is like the most awesome thing ever. I don't know what rock you're living under, but it has Steam-like sales all year long, with similarly insane prices. Sure - there's less of that on the PS4's storefront, but sales have begun ther too. They've started to have sales for triple A titles recently, and it's only going to get better. Games like Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty: Ghosts and Assassin's Creed: Black Flag have seen their first sale recently - like 33% to 50% off.

Also - games launch at the same price, or a little lower on my PSN store, compared to the cheapest prices for the disc versions. Either the situation is completely different where you are, or you are deliberately painting the wrong picture. PSN is as awesome as Steam is. Dynamic pricing is in effect.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't preorder games.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli: I suppose I could have added that I am mainly talking about PSN for PS4. Because yeah, I bought Ni No Kuni for dirt nothing on my PS3, so perhaps PS4 will get there eventually. But here's the rock I am living under in regards to PS4; new releases (or preorders) are around 100 SEK more expensive on PSN than on disc. In the case of destiny, it's looking more like 150 SEK more for PSN. Which means buying only disc I get every 6th game for "free" compared to PSN pricing.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Seppli

@pezen said:

@seppli: I suppose I could have added that I am mainly talking about PSN for PS4. Because yeah, I bought Ni No Kuni for dirt nothing on my PS3, so perhaps PS4 will get there eventually. But here's the rock I am living under in regards to PS4; new releases (or preorders) are around 100 SEK more expensive on PSN than on disc. In the case of destiny, it's looking more like 150 SEK more for PSN. Which means buying only disc I get every 6th game for "free" compared to PSN pricing.

There's usually two versions in the store. The *digital deluxe* version or somesuch, as well as the standard edition. The standard edition, in my experience, is as expensive, or a little less expensive than the disc release - at least around my parts. I'd check the store again, you might have missed it. Often you have to dig a little deeper to get to the standard edition.

Publishers should have a vested interest in selling digital versions of their games, since every digital sale is one more that won't be resold in the second hand market. That's also why digital sales make tons of sense for them. Opposed to second hand sales, even at steep discounts, they'll at least make some money on it, rather than none. So yeah - I expect digital day 1 prices to be even lower soon, like 10% below physical retail prices. The first parties will probably have to roll out a code-in-a-box system to retailers, where-in the retailers can link any game to the code in the box - in order to keep them happy by allowing them to take advantage of digital dynamic pricing that way and allowing them to compete on day 1 with lower digital-only pricing, as well as selling codes in bulk to secondary digital retailers like Amazon.

The consoles are a little more than half a year on the market, with a very limited library. It's unreasonable to expect crazy sales already, but dynamic pricing is definitively already in effect. Pretty sure we'll see the first big PSN sale for PS4 games around Black Friday, or in December at the latest.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

When I pre-order games, I usually do it for two reasons:

1) There is something with it that I truly want to have – most often it’s the soundtrack (which is usually the only reason I ever pre-order digitally over physically).

2) It helps me prepare for a game coming out. What I mean is: it stops me going overboard with hype or just gets a game off of my mind. Sometimes, it isn’t about some physical deal or gain – sometimes just the act of knowing, “I don’t have to think about this anymore – when I comes out I will get it, and I can enjoy it when it comes out”, such that I can overcome the urge to stay constantly updated on each individual game. I know most people find the whole Pre-Ordering idea to be a big cynical push from executives to get money prior to release (or get money for games that don’t deserve it) but sometimes I just know when I’ll like a game – and having the ability to buy it before hand and then not have to think about it anymore has been a blessing on me mentally.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli: Hey man, I don't appreciate the assumption that I'm an idiot that haven't browsed digital markets before. So to provice some actual numbers;

Watch_Dogs PSN Digital Deluxe Edition: 719 SEK

Warch_Dogs PSN Classic Edition: 639 SEK

Watch_Dogs as a retail disc: 535 SEK

As said, it's cheaper here to go disc. And searching for Destiny on the PSN marketplace only reveales the preorder one at 704 SEK which retails at 599 SEK (including beta access). So there you have it. Again. The only time PSN is even remotely close to regular retail prices is Killzone Shadow Fall. There it's cheaper than some places, but still not the cheapest alternative. I am not really sure why this is, but that's the way it is.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Seppli

@pezen said:

@seppli: Hey man, I don't appreciate the assumption that I'm an idiot that haven't browsed digital markets before. So to provice some actual numbers;

Watch_Dogs PSN Digital Deluxe Edition: 719 SEK

Warch_Dogs PSN Classic Edition: 639 SEK

Watch_Dogs as a retail disc: 535 SEK

As said, it's cheaper here to go disc. And searching for Destiny on the PSN marketplace only reveales the preorder one at 704 SEK which retails at 599 SEK (including beta access). So there you have it. Again. The only time PSN is even remotely close to regular retail prices is Killzone Shadow Fall. There it's cheaper than some places, but still not the cheapest alternative. I am not really sure why this is, but that's the way it is.

Ahjo - I guess it's varies depending on country. Maybe Sweden has some kind of protective tax on digitally distributed games - or Sweden's PSN dudes are just behind the curb in comparison to other places.

Avatar image for deactivated-58670791014d2
    deactivated-58670791014d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Ya you should get your money back if you preordered, but don't see any reason why you would preorder this early for a digital game.

SomeguyJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pre-order digital games from places that take my money right away so that I can pay for it up front and not have to worry about remembering to save x money on x date. I've been burned in the past by surprise bills so why not just get it out of the way. Also pre-order bonuses and pre-loading.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pre-ordering games

JesterArbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm thinking that people will get their refunds. A few months ago I purchased something a day before it dropped in price, they credited my psn with the difference of the price drop. They didn't have to do that, nor did I ask for it. I thought it was a pretty cool gesture. It took about a week before I got the refund. But I do see them hooking people up with the remainder.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: To use the pre-load feature that some of them come with so that when the game launches you're ready to play.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixavd said:
    @fattony12000 said:

1) There is something with it that I truly want to have – most often it’s the soundtrack (which is usually the only reason I ever pre-order digitally over physically).

2) It helps me prepare for a game coming out. What I mean is: it stops me going overboard with hype or just gets a game off of my mind. Sometimes, it isn’t about some physical deal or gain – sometimes just the act of knowing, “I don’t have to think about this anymore – when I comes out I will get it, and I can enjoy it when it comes out”, such that I can overcome the urge to stay constantly updated on each individual game. I know most people find the whole Pre-Ordering idea to be a big cynical push from executives to get money prior to release (or get money for games that don’t deserve it) but sometimes I just know when I’ll like a game – and having the ability to buy it before hand and then not have to think about it anymore has been a blessing on me mentally.

You're also utterly insane! If I was bothering to get a video game soundtrack I'd have to get a physical copy of it! However, the pre-ordering process helping you to get yo head right is all well and good, I can not fault you for thinking or feeling or doing something that is good for you. In some ways the "but sometimes I just know when I’ll like a game – and having the ability to buy it before hand" sentiment that you express is pretty much how I've looked at my video game purchasing since the 1990s. I only buy things if I like them (except if I'm buying things for...other...reasons). It's kinda weird, right? I've read thousands of reviews for all kinds of stuff, but I've never bought/not bought a single video game because of one.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By Dixavd

@dixavd said:
    @fattony12000 said:

You're also utterly insane! If I was bothering to get a video game soundtrack I'd have to get a physical copy of it! However, the pre-ordering process helping you to get yo head right is all well and good, I can not fault you for thinking or feeling or doing something that is good for you. In some ways the "but sometimes I just know when I’ll like a game – and having the ability to buy it before hand" sentiment that you express is pretty much how I've looked at my video game purchasing since the 1990s. I only buy things if I like them (except if I'm buying things for...other...reasons). It's kinda weird, right? I've read thousands of reviews for all kinds of stuff, but I've never bought/not bought a single video game because of one.

I should say that what I meant on the soundtrack thing wasn't that: given the option between a physical version with the soundtrack, and the digital version with the soundtracl; I'd choose the digital version. I meant that there have been games where either the only option to get a copy of the soundtrack is on the digital version (which is pretty stupid) or the physical version with the soundtrack is a lot more expensive due to having something else with it (like some statue I don't want). I tend to buy the cheapest option with the soundtrack included, if I can. I do prefer a physical version of music, but there's this really annoying thing going on right now where companies only put the full soundtrack on the top tier physical release (usually the "Collectors Edition") and then have a sample of a couple of songs on "The Special Edition". But if I buy them digitally, because they are limited on the things they can add to the package, they tend to put the full soundtrack on a cheaper tier.

And I don't think I've ever bought/not bought a game because of a review either. The only thing similar to that is if the talk about a game mentions it being completely different to expected (such as the focus being on something different than the previous ones) which I might pass on/check out otherwise (though it's usually pretty obvious what the focus of a game is from the trailers and interviews with developers around release anyway).

caska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000: I live in Australia so digital stores like GMG etc allow me to use their frequent 25% coupons to preorder a game like Assassin's Creed or Far Cry for say $40 instead of $50. In Australia anyway most games get listed for preorder at this cheaper $50 price, however most of the time closer to release these prices are changed to reflect those seen in the brick and mortar stores ie ~$80. So yes I do preorder games when it has a chance of saving money but that's pretty much it.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixavd: Riiight, gotcha. That makes sense. Also, see below for more of the sort of thing I meant by my original Why would you "preorder" from a digital-only store? comment.

@caska: Oh sure, buying games for the lowest amount possible is fine and great and you should do it. However, you and your fellow countrymen being able to do that in this case with regards to modern digital stores is quite different from the main thrust of the preorder scene that I'm thinking of. The shitty scene where you're giving money to a company long before they will give you a product in exchange.

To be sure, I've made use of free preorders from Amazon and ShopTo and Game for years, that's just fine. But this whole "paying $60 to Sony/Microsoft/GameStop/whoever upfront so they can sit on that money and git dat sweet, sweet interest before even THINKING about handing over yo product" thing is bad and has always been bad. That's what the OP was talking about, right?

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, on PS4 pre-loading is a thing.

So if you know you're going digital, there is a reason to pre-order, but only a week ahead of release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.