Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

Should I just watch a Let's Play? (don't own PS3)

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By armaan8014

I am a PC owner, and don't own a PS3 and won't be getting one in the near or far future, so I doubt i'll get to play this game within the next 2-3 years or so.

As of now, I keep seeing all this discussion about the game and it's impact, and it's honestly teasing me like crazy. I love games with a good story and atmosphere btw, and mostly play them for their story.

I watched the length of the Deadly Premonition ER on GB (both runs) and absolutely loved the game without ever even playing it. I gave it the #1 spot for my personal GoTY list, got the OST etc as well. That game drove me crazy, and I didn't even play it.

So should I just go ahead and watch somebody play through the whole game and get involved in the hype or wait a loooong time and then have no one to discuss it with?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Fredchuckdave

You can if you want; unlike Bioshock Infinite The Last of Us is extremely immersive beyond the first hour and a half of the game so you're definitely missing out on that aspect. The stealth gameplay is extremely good but it is also still stealth gameplay so some people just straight up don't like it; it's also not easy stealth gameplay but you do get the magical power to see through walls so that's something. Stealth gameplay. If anything I'd say just watch all the cutscenes unless you find a perfect LP or something, but chances are all the ones out right now have some dude spewing at the wrong time or what have you. In terms of day one LPers (a by and large terrible group) this guy seems to be the least offensive: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs1-UdHIwbo5MzTZwWfhL49b2hzvb-50E

Deadly Premonition is not really an effective comparison considering it had absolutely atrocious gameplay to go along with a great storyline. You'll also develop opinions on the gameplay dictated by whomever you see playing it as opposed to experiencing it yourself; so I'd say joining discussions regurgitating others' opinions is nigh useless.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well it would obviously be better to play it yourself but since that isn't a option I suppose you may as well watch a lets play.

It's a shame you won't be able to experience if first hand though.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By gkhan

It would be vastly preferable to play it yourself (you haven't got a friend with a PS3 you could borrow?), but sure, if that's not an option, watch a Let's Play.

@fredchuckdave said:

Deadly Premonition is not really an effective comparison considering it had absolutely atrocious gameplay to go along with a great storyline.

Let's not get crazy here: Deadly Premonition didn't have a "great" storyline. It had a weird and funny and kinda entertaining one, a story that just got more and more ridiculous as the game went on, but lets not call it great. Because... you know... c'mon.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gkhan: The last boss is a giant fat man, that's the definition of great story. See for example: Pacific Rim

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By superfriend

PS3s are really cheap- and will probably be even cheaper once the PS4 comes out.

I´d say wait a bit and get one. That way you can play all the other games you´ve missed too. Seriously, there are a lot of titles worth playing on PS3. As for the let´s play idea: I don´t think the Last of Us lends itself to that format. It´s all about experiencing that story and those environments by yourself. It is the definition of a single player game.. oh and the multiplayer is a lot of fun too :D

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just watch all the cut scenes stringed together like a movie. The game play becomes very repetitive after the first 5 hours, but the story was pretty good (a little bit predictable at some parts though), so you'd probably get more out of it than I did.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:

Just watch all the cut scenes stringed together like a movie. The game play becomes very repetitive after the first 5 hours, but the story was pretty good (a little bit predictable at some parts though), so you'd probably get more out of it than I did.

Wrong you miss a lot of story and character development if you do that. The fantastic thing that the Last of s does it is to combine the gameplay and the world and story in to one. You will miss a lot of emotion and intention if you just watch lets plays, And you lose even more if you just watch the cutscenes.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I would watch a decent play through if you have little to no chance of getting your hands on it. Fantastic game.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I was considering doing that at some point.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

I sold my PS3 when I moved so I couldn't play this game even though I really wanted to. As cheap as PS3s are, I also didn't want to go out and buy one for the sake of playing one game (since I'd already played most of the other good ones). I ended up just watching a commentary-less let's play on youTube and while not exactly the same as playing, I saw the story and game in its entirety. Worth doing in my opinion just to know what's up with this game.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If you ever want to play it, no. You'd be doing yourself a disservice.

Avatar image for oddworld_inhabitants
    Oddworld_Inhabitants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't watch a play-through if you might have a chance to in the future. If you really don't think you'll have a chance to experience it for yourself, watch Pewdiepie play it on Youtube it's vey entertaining.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Yeah, you could watch a playthru and skip most of the gameplay pieces. It's very repetitive. there just isn't much variety. after awhile you'll realize just how much of a painful linear slog it is and you'll be shanking and running for the checkpoints anyway.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, wait until you can afford a PS3 at some time. They're worth getting and will inevitably become cheaper. You might want to actually play it later and the whole thing will be new to you.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

Yeah, the best parts of The Last of Us are not the parts that you play. I am part of the camp that thinks it could of just been a movie since the gameplay was not funny, but I guess some people like it or just think of slogging through the gameplay as a way to justify the story and the hardships of the narrative.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

@gkhan said:

It would be vastly preferable to play it yourself (you haven't got a friend with a PS3 you could borrow?), but sure, if that's not an option, watch a Let's Play.

Pretty much this. If you have any intention of paying attention to game of the year discussions this year then watch it on youtube.That said it will never be the same for you when you get around to playing it.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

@beachthunder: Are you in a similar situation? What are you planning to do?

PS3s are really cheap- and will probably be even cheaper once the PS4 comes out.

I´d say wait a bit and get one. That way you can play all the other games you´ve missed too. Seriously, there are a lot of titles worth playing on PS3. As for the let´s play idea: I don´t think the Last of Us lends itself to that format. It´s all about experiencing that story and those environments by yourself. It is the definition of a single player game.. oh and the multiplayer is a lot of fun too :D

Yeah... your answer makes sense. There are a lot of games I've wanted to play from the PS3, and I might ruin the experience for my future self - only things stopping me from straight up watching a Let's Play :/

I sold my PS3 when I moved so I couldn't play this game even though I really wanted to. As cheap as PS3s are, I also didn't want to go out and buy one for the sake of playing one game (since I'd already played most of the other good ones). I ended up just watching a commentary-less let's play on youTube and while not exactly the same as playing, I saw the story and game in its entirety. Worth doing in my opinion just to know what's up with this game.

How was the experience? Did you enjoy it or do you regret it?

@gkhan said:

Pretty much this. If you have any intention of paying attention to game of the year discussions this year then watch it on youtube.That said it will never be the same for you when you get around to playing it.

Gah! Difficult decision. I guess I'll hold on for a while as I do not seem to have enough time as well. But if the temptation becomes too much to bear at any point, I'll just go ahead and watch it.

Thanks for the answers everyone :)

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

@armaan8014: The guy I watched was really good about giving the viewer time to read things he picks up and watching little side stuff unfold so I felt like I got to consume a large portion of what the game has to offer. He also never died (unless he cut out the times he did) so there was no game-like break in the action/story. Since my only other option was to have nothing to do with the game, I think I got a good amount of enjoyment out of watching someone else play through it. This type of game (heavy emphasis on characters and story as opposed to gameplay) lends itself well to the Let's Play format. I'd recommend it unless you can find some other way to play the game. It's a game worth knowing about.

SeanCoughing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By SeanCoughing

I was thinking of watching a lets play since I rented the game but didn't like the heavy stealth (I'm garbage at these kinds of games). I still feel like I would be cheating myself though so I still haven't.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
    TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

microshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go to Gamestop. Buy a used PS3 and a used copy of The Last of Us. Return both within a week.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Why not? Go for it.

flip2000b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldn't get past the first hour, bored the hell out of me and the graphical glitches of ladders and planks going through walls etc just killed it for me. After a real strong start in the prologue where I was genuinely choked up it just drops off so quick. I then watched a Let's Play and got more out of the story and didn't have to worry about the bad gun play etc in the game.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By fattony12000

I'll play it for/with you! We could do a video call thing and somehow do live, long-distance playthrough together. We'd get to know each other and maybe become best buds.

I'm so terribly lonely.

Oh, this thread is four months old, you're probably already dead. In that case I shall mourn for you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.