Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

Should The Last of Us Ship with Uncharted Multiplayer?

TPoppaPuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TPoppaPuff

Considering it is highly doubtful this game will have any of it's own multiplayer component*, it would seem to benefit Naughty Dog, Sony, and the gamers if The Last of Us shipped with Uncharted 3's multiplayer component. Everybody knows multiplayer is often shoehorned into a game simply to get players to prevent resale. Often this decision means development time is spent on multiplayer that would otherwise be spent on the single-player experience (though not always, as in the case with Mass Effect 3 where multiplayer was purely supplemental and the dev resources spent on multiplayer would not have otherwise been spent on Mass Effect at all). But if resources are taken out of the equation and copyright/licensing issues are a non-factor (same dev, same publisher), then it would absolutely make sense to include Sony's most popular multiplayer exclusive since its release. It adds value to the title without causing any negative effects on either title. Further incentives may include adding most or all of the multiplayer DLC on-disc like Halo: ODST or as a pack in code.* It adds value to the title as well as value to UC3's multiplayer and life as well. Plus, it increases the number of users with the DLC (good for those who already bought the DLC) and draws a larger consumer base to sell later DLC to as well. Plus, you can incentivize those who may be on the fence about the title to buy this game and buy it new with minimal effort. Maybe even toss in a code for character skins of Joel and the infected. I implore anyone who responds to simply think about it. It's a win/win/win.

Yay or nay?

*Again, I highly doubt they are working on any multiplayer for this game, but it would have solid potential on its own as a truly survival versus mode either akin to Uncharted 3's competitive arena or a Wingman type from the Gears of War franchise or a Halo-esque Infection mode or some combination of all three. I'd like to see a round-based gametype where five teams of two battle each other to survive. To truly add to the team and survival experience, only one player per team starts the round with a gun with any ammo and mostly projectiles/melee weapons lying freely on the map. Once somebody dies, they respawn back into the round as an infected. Points go to the team that is the last man standing, and points for each kill as a human, and a smaller amount of points for kills as the infected.

**Before anybody calls me a cheapskate or the like, yes I do have all the DLC for UC3. I'm not trying to get anything for free, this just makes sense to me if there's no multiplayer being developed.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WarlordPayne

I hope that the game can stand on its own without tacking on another game's multiplayer. The game looks good and Naughty Dog has made a name for itself recently so I don't think they need to be that desperate.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By joshthebear

That sounds kind of dumb, to package a seperate games multi to try to sell it.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Hizang

The greatest games of all time do not have multiplayer.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MiniPato

I think you're jumping the gun. Way too early to go speculating stuff like that before things are officially announced. Personally I don't look to longevity to justify my purchase.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By MariachiMacabre

That's a ridiculous idea. Some games don't need multiplayer and shoehorning the U3 Multiplayer would serve no purpose.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Sooperspy

What? No.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By villainy

Or they could just release the actual game being developed. That way they wouldn't have to build in UI for a completely separate game, put the Uncharted 3 assets on the disk, and sacrifice fidelity to fit everything. WTF are you talking about? Why am I even responding? I should be sleeping right now. You're a bad person, stop keeping me awake.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By AngelN7

No it doesn't need it also why? what purpose will it serve The Last of Us is Naughty Dog trying to explore something new and delivering a new experience different than something like Uncharted that's why they didn't just make another Uncharted using that tech , the game looks really good and I'm pretty sure is gonna stand by it's own.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EXTomar

I agree with others all too often that multiplayer is stapled but forgoing that is a big risk from producers view. I'll be happy if they take the "single player only" stand and forgo multiplayer but I also recognize how much of a risk that is.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BonOrbitz

No thanks. I'd rather have them take the resources and time that would go into a multiplayer element and put it into the single player experience. Whether it's competitive or co-op multiplayer, playing with friends or strangers always breaks a game's immersion for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No that's dumb, if the game is going to have multplayer (which I hope it don't) it should be its own thing.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By august

Uh...

no?

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By J12088

Fuck multiplayer. Not every game needs it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Justin258

No, not at all. We don't need multiplayer in The Last of Us.

Then again, we also didn't need multiplayer in Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, or Bioshock 2 and what do you know? The multiplayer modes in those games were widely considered improvements.

@Hizang said:

Half-Life 1, Deus Ex, and System Shock 2, along with many other well-remembered single player titles, had multiplayer. This is a ridiculous notion.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BraveToaster

Every game doesn't need a multiplayer element. The time spent on multiplayer could go toward making the single-player better. I hope this phase ends soon.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Marcsman

@Hizang said:

I concur with this

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hizang

@believer258 said:

Then again, we also didn't need multiplayer in Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, or Bioshock 2 and what do you know? The multiplayer modes in those games were widely considered improvements.

@Hizang said:

Half-Life 1, Deus Ex, and System Shock 2, along with many other well-remembered single player titles, had multiplayer. This is a ridiculous notion.

Was the multiplayer the part that made those games great? NO!

Ocarina of Time, Banjo-Kazooie, GTA Vice City, Metal Gear Solid, Skyrim, Mass Effect 2, what do all these games have in common? No Multiplayer/

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

I bet it has multiplayer. Some sort of weird, depressing horde mode perhaps.

I'm calling it now.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Yes

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Justin258

@Hizang said:

@believer258 said:

@Hizang said:

Ocarina of Time, Banjo-Kazooie, GTA Vice City, Metal Gear Solid, Skyrim, Mass Effect 2, what do all these games have in common? No Multiplayer/

Yeah, but having great multiplayer wasn't a requirement for being on that list. Just having multiplayer period was. For a great single player experience that also had a great multiplayer experience, there's the original Halo which stands up pretty solidly against everything you listed. How's that for you?

You implied that no great games have multiplayer, which just plain isn't true at all.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By impartialgecko

Bet it'll have multiplayer anyway, maybe some sort of co-op thing. Although I'd hazard a guess that Naughty Dog may have more control over the direction of this game's feature set than they have had with Sony sticking its nose into post-Drake's Fortune Uncharted. Hope it doesn't have multiplayer, the best multiplayer titles are custom-built for competition. As soon as you start splitting the difference between single and multiplayer conceits then one of the two is compromised.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By killacam

what the bloody hell!

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jmfinamore

As much as I don't like shoehorning in multiplayer into every game, I don't think I'd mind in this case since they already have it all built. If they throw it on a separate disc would it really be so bad? I'd much rather see them either not bother with it or try to make an interesting co-op mode, but if it happened I wouldn't really care.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Hizang

There are many games that qualify as 'greatest of all-time' BECAUSE of their multiplayer. Most people's favorite Quake memory wasn't telefragging Shub. Finishing the arcade ladder in Street Fighter II is not why that game is legendary.

Half-Life is the easiest example of a game that is legendary for both it's single and multi.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hizang

@believer258 said:

@Hizang said:

@believer258 said:

@Hizang said:

Yeah, but having great multiplayer wasn't a requirement for being on that list. Just having multiplayer period was. For a great single player experience that also had a great multiplayer experience, there's the original Halo which stands up pretty solidly against everything you listed. How's that for you?

You implied that no great games have multiplayer, which just plain isn't true at all.

Where did I imply that no great games have multiplayer? I think you will find I said The greatest games of all time do not have multiplayer, which they do not. If your going to tell me that Halo is the best game of all time you are in a battle you can't win.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By iamjohn

@Marcsman said:

@Hizang said:

I concur with this

Bullshit, Sonic 3 & Knuckles totally had multiplayer. >:(

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Justin258

@Hizang said:

@believer258 said:

@Hizang said:

@believer258 said:

@Hizang said:

Where did I imply that no great games have multiplayer? I think you will find I said The greatest games of all time do not have multiplayer, which they do not. If your going to tell me that Halo is the best game of all time you are in a battle you can't win.

I do consider Halo to be one of the greatest games of all time. Its sequels, no, but the original Halo definitely left its mark on the industry just as much, if not more than, those games you mentioned.

You were saying that the greatest games of all time, those that stand at the very top of gaming history, can't have any multiplayer. I don't see why this has to be a rule, that's what I'm really getting at, and I gave examples of games that are often considered the greatest of all time that also have multiplayer, regardless of quality.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.