Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

So... I just beat The Last of Us. (spoilers)

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AiurFlux

I thought it was unbelievably incredible. Best way I can describe it is Resident Evil if Resident Evil was properly westernized to remove all the cheesiness, updated to modern gameplay standards, and didn't suck anymore. It still feels like a Naughty Dog game while at the same time not feeling like a Naughty Dog game, if that makes sense. Story felt like a mix between I Am Legend and The Road, leaning a bit more towards The Road.

I'm not going to get into details and spoil who lives, who dies, or what happens but rest assured the story will make you feel for the characters. The ending itself is particularly brutal when you really stop and think about it and it has a twist that I really didn't see coming. Most endings are fairly predictable at this point, this one wasn't.

Buy it.

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going by the spoiler someone posted in this forum yesterday, I don't think the ending is a 'twist' if you think about zombie stories in general.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aiurflux said:

Best way I can describe it is Resident Evil if Resident Evil was properly westernized to remove all the cheesiness, updated to modern gameplay standards, and didn't suck anymore.

So it's nothing like Resident Evil?

How much of the game is combat, how much is cutscenes, and is there more to the gameplay than there was in the Uncharted games?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By musubi

Ill wait until this one is like $30 or something.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebgav said:

@aiurflux said:

Best way I can describe it is Resident Evil if Resident Evil was properly westernized to remove all the cheesiness, updated to modern gameplay standards, and didn't suck anymore.

How much of the game is combat, how much is cutscenes, and is there more to the gameplay than there was in the Uncharted games?

The main problem in uncharted was its combat and linear, The last of us has a great combat system. upgrading and making weapons and more of a stealth gameplay so if there is 4 guys surrounding some weapons or ammo you can fight them or run away like a little girl.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShadyPingu

@tangoup: The spoiler posted on this forum yesterday was false. The twist the OP mentioned is still predictable though for the genre-savvy.

I mean... This is a zombie story where a dude is hired to transport a girl of undisclosed importance across the country. Clearly Naughty Dog wasn't super interested in surprising everyone.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AiurFlux

@rebgav said:

@aiurflux said:

Well... yeah I guess. I never really thought of it that way. It certainly feels like a survival horror game a hell of a lot more than RE games have felt like recently though.

There are cutscenes, but they don't drag on that long. Considering this was about an 8 hour game and I'd guesstimate that maybe 45 minutes total was dedicated to cutscenes it seemed reasonable. There's quite a bit of talk and walk moments with banter between Joel and Ellie and you see the relationship form between the two of them. And the cutscenes don't drag on arbitrarily, they move the story forward pretty well.

Combat varies at times. There are some areas where you have to kill humans or infected that can still see properly, so you can be stealthy or go in guns blazing. Then there are these enemies called Clickers that can't see but have incredible hearing, so you have to walk around crouched and sneak past them or stealth kill them. If they attack you and grab you they can and will kill you unless you have a Shiv, which you can create using the creation mechanic.

It does feel kind of like an Uncharted game in the way that the characters move to an extent but it doesn't because of the tone of the game. I say to an extent with the movement because the inertia when running feels moderately the same, gunplay feels about the same, but Joel doesn't jump like Nathan Drake and instead plummets like a stone and the stealth is much better. Also when you get shot you kind of fall on your ass, so it really can punish you for being a dumbass and trying to run in like a retard. You also get a cheap "Hunter Mode" where it goes to black and white and you can see silhouettes of enemies or friendlies through walls based on the sound they are making. The more sound the more they light up. You can swim underwater in certain sections and since Ellie can't swim you might have to find a pallet to put her on to cross a flooded area. There is a lot more to the gameplay though in that you can upgrade Joel with pills to increase things like health and decrease weapon sway, there's a creation mechanic where you make health kits, molotovs, shivs, and there's a weapon customization system much like what was in RE5 where you improve damage or fire rate. So you'll be collecting shit in the game world like alcohol, blades, explosives, rags, sugar, and bindings to make items and scrap to upgrade guns. It didn't seem that anything in terms of the aesthetic of the weapons changed when upgrading them though.

My big problem is they kind of did the same thing a few to many times. Much like Tomb Raider kind of overdid the sliding down a hill/river parts this one seems to have a few to many, "Joel jump in the water and get a fucking pallet so Ellie can jump on it and proceed," moments. And there's one thing where I kind of went, "Wait. What?" where I had to suspend some disbelief which kind of ruined it a bit for me given the realistic tone.

@tangoup said:

Going by the spoiler someone posted in this forum yesterday, I don't think the ending is a 'twist' if you think about zombie stories in general.

Let me guess, they said that Joel turns into a zombie and Ellie shots him or some shit like that? No. I'll spoil it, so don't read it if you don't want.

At the end of the game after Joel takes Ellie from Boston to Salt Lake City Hospital (which is what the game is, getting her to a place where they might be able to find a cure because she's immune) Marlene, who is the person that got Joel to move Ellie in the first place, tells him that the only way to try extract the cure from her is brain surgery that will kill her. So he kills a guard, fights his way to her, and carries her down to the car park. There he runs into Marlene again and shoots her once in the stomach, then he puts Ellie into the back of an SUV, shots Marlene in the head killing her, and drives to where his brother is which is Jackson (I think it's in Missouri). Ellie lives, the cure isn't made, and he lies to her on the way to Jackson after she wakes up by telling her that there are other immune people and a cure isn't possible. Then just outside Jackson, because they have to hike a little bit, she makes him swear to her that he's telling her the truth which he does. At the beginning of the game Joel's daughter gets shot and killed by a soldier so you understand a bit where his protection of her comes from.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.