Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

So, the reviews have hit. Are you picking up The Last of Us?

• 144 results
    Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Poll So, the reviews have hit. Are you picking up The Last of Us? (420 votes)

Yep! Digital pre-order 7%
    Yep! In-store pre-order / getting it delivered 35%
    I'll probably pick it up on / near release 33%
    Still thinking it over 11%
    Nope, not interested 15%

I usually NEVER pre-order games. Well, that's a lie - only ever pre-order if I have to import a game from overseas (eg. Catherine, which I imported using playasia and had to pre-order due to limited stock).

BUT, I've made a special exception for this game. Why?

(image credit to RedSwirl on Neogaf)

So - are you pre-ordering or otherwise purchasing The Last of Us?

• 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Hailinel

Nope. This game isn't my thing.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I've had this game preordered on Amazon for like, a year now.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Sorry to hear D:

Out of interest - did you play Bioshock: Infinite? If so, what did you think of that?

IMO it's going to come down to those two and (probably) GTA5 for GOTY this year.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Sorry to hear D:

Out of interest - did you play Bioshock: Infinite? If so, what did you think of that?

IMO it's going to come down to those two and (probably) GTA5 for GOTY this year.

I actually haven't played Bioshock Infinite, either. FPS titles have historically not been a genre I've had much inclination to play.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I figured I'd get it eventually, but now I'm thinking of getting it off PSN closer to the release date.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately I just lost a job opportunity so I'm toying with the notion of borrowing my friends copy when he's done with it, but I'm not sure I want to wait a week, so I might buy it anyways.

@hailinel said:

@selfconfessedcynic said:

@hailinel said:

Sorry to hear D:

I actually haven't played Bioshock Infinite, either. FPS titles have historically not been a genre I've had much inclination to play.

Me neither, but I thought it was awesome. Just saying.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yup, goona pick up in store on or after release day, even though i just blew 60 on Diablo 3 for some unknown reason

Last of Us seems like a neat survival story with awesome fungus, and im a fan of what Naughty Dog does.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#8  Edited By MachoFantastico

I didn't care a great deal about the reviews, there's so few games I would usually ignore the general consensus but I have a lot of love for what Naughty Dog do. I've stayed away from almost all things Last of Us related since it's announcement so I go in fresh and according to Patrick, that might be for the better. Looking forward to it.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@hailinel said:

Sorry to hear D:

I know how you feel, there. I think I only own like 10-15 shooters in my whole library, and only 2 of them are straight up shooters (Half Life 2 and Killzone 2), the rest are hybrids (eg. Uncharted, Deus Ex, inFamous).

What are you looking forward to this year? (for me my actual most-anticipated game is Phoenix Wright Ace Attourney: Dual Destinies, though inFamous: SS may take the cake if it makes it into 2013)

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Not sure.

I get the feeling that this will be like Uncharted 2, where everyone else is in love with it and I just don't feel it. But still, it looks interesting and I might end up being pleasantly surprised.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@hailinel said:

Sorry to hear D:

I know how you feel, there. I think I only own like 10-15 shooters in my whole library, and only 2 of them are straight up shooters (Half Life 2 and Killzone 2), the rest are hybrids (eg. Uncharted, Deus Ex, inFamous).

What are you looking forward to this year? (for me my actual most-anticipated game is Phoenix Wright, though inFamous: SS may take the cake if it makes it into 2013)

Well, one of my most anticipated has already come (and was well worth the wait) in Fire Emblem: Awakening. I'm really looking forward to Project X Zone, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Dynasty Warriors 8, and (depending on if it's released this year or not) Bayonetta 2.

I realize that this combination of games puts me in a distinct minority of the Giant Bomb audience.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EVO

Pre-ordered the survival edition yesterday online. International shipping though, so I might have to wait a couple weeks.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

What are you looking forward to this year? (for me my actual most-anticipated game is Phoenix Wright, though inFamous: SS may take the cake if it makes it into 2013)

Well, one of my most anticipated has already come (and was well worth the wait) in Fire Emblem: Awakening. I'm really looking forward to Project X Zone, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Dynasty Warriors 8, and (depending on if it's released this year or not) Bayonetta 2.

I realize that this combination of games puts me in a distinct minority of the Giant Bomb audience.

Oh man, definitely some good games there. I'll be picking up an XL for Ace Attourney and getting Fire Emblem with that - I'm still not sold on SMT4 though (will probably wait for western reviews).

Anywho, cool to hear. Divergent tastes are a good thing.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Nope, I don't have a PS3 (nor money to buy one).

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By bigjeffrey

Yeah when it comes to PC

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evo said:

Pre-ordered the survival edition yesterday online. International shipping though, so I might have to wait a couple weeks.

How much is Survival edition again? (I don't think I could wait that long, but I considered going all out too...)

Also: I think I'm the only person on the poll who got the Digital Pre-order D:

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@evo said:

How much is Survival edition again? (I don't think I could wait that long, but I considered going all out too...)

I would have gone digital but I still have my 20GB launch HDD in it and never intended to switch XD

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@evo said:

I would have gone digital but I still have my 20GB launch HDD in it and never intended to switch XD

Man, I had a 40gig in mine until I remembered I had a drive sitting around after upgrading my laptop to an SSD. Turned out it was 750gigs :D - now I'm on PS+ and loving it.

All digital future!!

ED: Also, here's hoping for a 1TB drive in the top PS4 SKU.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JouselDelka

Jesus, people still pay for shit before it's out? Pre-orders huh? damn..

I'm waiting to watch some gameplay videos and make sure it's revolutionary (at least slightly) and worth my time gameplay wise. Bioshock Infinite got full scores and while I enjoyed it, it was nothing worth full price, which I didn't pay.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evo said:

$80.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By musubi

Absolutely no interest in what this game is doing. Next game I'm absolutely buying is Killer is Dead

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evo said:

@evo said:

$80.

Man, I saw that number and was like WHAT. *looked it up at Australian stores*

$116 (well, our closest / equivalent edition)

Yeah - nope. I'm happy with my $89 PSN edition - at least then I know all of that money is going to Sony / Naughty Dog

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#23  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

I haven't enjoyed a Naughty Dog game since Crash Bandicoot 3 so no. The Uncharted games had similar critical acclaim and I didn't like any of them. (Well, 1 and 2. I've never played 3 but people apparently liked that one the least so I doubt I'd enjoy it either)

I was going to say nothing coming out later this year interests me but then the above poster reminded me that Killer is Dead exists, so that'll probably be the next game I get.

Edit: Oh wait no I'm getting Animal Crossing New Leaf on Sunday because that game's gonna be super dope.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably pick it up once I get my paycheck since its getting such good reviews and I'm a sucker for what naughty dog does. Looks like ill have to dust off my PS3 thought and find the controllers for it since the last game I played on it was the original black ops.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Monkeyman04

I would if I had a PS3 and the money to buy it.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Darji

@darji said:

@evo said:

Man, I had a 40gig in mine until I remembered I had a drive sitting around after upgrading my laptop to an SSD. Turned out it was 750gigs :D - now I'm on PS+ and loving it.

All digital future!!

ED: Also, here's hoping for a 1TB drive in the top PS4 SKU.

I wouldn't mind a 500 GB SSD either XD But yeah On PC i am only digital since a few years and I love it.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Honestly, the only thing that is making me even consider buying it are all these positive reviews. My fascination is purely driven by the hype. I wish it wasn't, but it is. I'll probably end up picking it up in the next 4-6 months, though...maybe earlier depending on Bombcast reactions/E3 peoples praising it during the livestream.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evo said:

@evo said:

$80.

Man, I saw that number and was like WHAT. *looked it up at Australian stores*

$116 (well, our closest / equivalent edition)

Yeah - nope. I'm happy with my $89 PSN edition - at least then I know all of that money is going to Sony / Naughty Dog

For the record, it actually cost $115 to ship it here to Australia, but I prefer the survival edition over the Joel/Ellie one.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@taku128 said:

Since 99% of reviews are positive I figured linking a well written negative one would be helpful for people.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/06/the-last-of-us-review/

I wish he'd put a score on it :/ - AT LEAST have an ending paragraph which is more all-inclusive, or a thesis statement with more depth than a line about guns in video games.

I am not reading ANY reviews aside from what I've already read (the quote in the OP, bits and pieces on IGN and Patrick's review). Every single one seems to be spoiling something slightly different to the point where if you read all of them, all the "little things" will be gone.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of the above.

I'm getting it, but I'm waiting.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yes I am buying the shit out of this. Although I'll probably be still entranced by Animal Crossing.

juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I just watched a featurette on the music and now I plan to buy it on PSN. That music... This game is gonna break my heart Isen"t it?

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By Nev

Not currently, no. I was not all that impressed by the Uncharted games, and I'm not a fan of horror or zombie-ish games. The only thing to grab me from this title would be story, which just says to me "Grab this in a year or two when its 15-20 bucks."

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By Cirdain

Where is the "No, I don't have PS3" option!

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of the above.

@cirdain said:

Man, *envisions a poll with like a million more options*

: (

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mlarrabee said:

None of the above.

@cirdain said:

But there are a lot of people who don't have a PS3, that's a valid demographic to account for.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#38 chaser324  Moderator

I've bad it preordered on Amazon for months. These reviews certainly aren't going to reverse that decision.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cirdain said:

@mlarrabee said:

None of the above.

@cirdain said:

But there are a lot of people who don't have a PS3, that's a valid demographic to account for.

Oh, I know - well, I realise that now.

I can't edit it though

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By YOU_DIED

Nah, the gameplay looks pretty standard

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a Naughty Dog game, I was going to buy it even if it was shit

cocoonmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not interested.

I just don't feel like buying console games anymore.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cirdain

@cirdain said:

@mlarrabee said:

None of the above.

@cirdain said:

Oh, I know - well, I realise that now.

I can't edit it though

:'(

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

'...Most riveting, emotionally resonant story-driven epic of this console generation.' That tells me all I need to know.

No thanks.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@palmlykta said:

'...Most riveting, emotionally resonant story-driven epic of this console generation.' That tells me all I need to know.

No thanks.

That's a really interesting stance. Are you coming from a position of "gameplay is what makes me interested in games" and innovation is what you're looking for?

To me, story driven games (be they set-piece based or otherwise - with The Last of Us being firmly in the non-set-piece-driven camp) are by far my favourite types of games. Examples are, of course, the early Final Fantasies, the Persona games, Bioshocks, Mass Effects, etc.

Do you care for story in games at all? Or perhaps, are there only specific ways you like story delivered?

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Most definitely. I have the special edition pre-ordered, and am patiently awaiting its arrival next week. It'll probably be the last game I play through before I go to college, which I think is a neatly unimportant landmark.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@palmlykta said:

No thanks.

That's a really interesting stance. Are you coming from a position of "gameplay is what makes me interested in games" and innovation is what you're looking for?

To me, story driven games (be they set-piece based or otherwise - with The Last of Us being firmly in the non-set-piece-driven camp) are by far my favourite types of games. Examples are, of course, the early Final Fantasies, the Persona games, etc.

Do you care for story in games at all? Or are there only specific ways you like story delivered?

You really can not innovate gameplay anymore. Hell you can barely innovate any gamemechanic or design at all anymore. What you can do is to intensify the game experience and the best way to do it is with an emotional story. Especially since Storytelling in games is still new and has tons of more potential to unlock.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is so frustrating because everything I know of Naughtydog, Uncharted, and the way this game looks tells me I WILL NOT LIKE IT. yet, everyone is giving it 10's which makes me think I should play it.

Ugh.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@palmlykta said:

No thanks.

To me, story driven games (be they set-piece based or otherwise - with The Last of Us being firmly in the non-set-piece-driven camp) are by far my favourite types of games. Examples are, of course, the early Final Fantasies, the Persona games, etc.

Do you care for story in games at all? Or are there only specific ways you like story delivered?

You really can not innovate gameplay anymore. Hell you can barely innovate any gamemechanic or design at all anymore. What you can do is to intensify the game experience and the best way to do it is with an emotional story. Especially since Storytelling in games is still new and has tons of more potential to unlock.

WHAT?

I'm guessing, from this, that you have pretty much grown up only playing this generation of games, right?

You are right, there is very little more to be done with 3rd person shooting games where the camera follows closly behind the player. A genre that basically only existed in this generation and mostly exists to showcase graphical power.

outside of that incredibly limiting genre, there is a whole WORLD of gameplay innovation to be explored.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Darji

@jazgalaxy said:

@darji said:

@palmlykta said:

No thanks.

WHAT?

I'm guessing, from this, that you have pretty much grown up only playing this generation of games, right?

You are right, there is very little more to be done with 3rd person shooting games where the camera follows closly behind the player. A genre that basically only existed in this generation and mostly exists to showcase graphical power.

outside of that incredibly limiting genre, there is a whole WORLD of gameplay innovation to be explored.

No I grew up with the C16 and Atari so please tell me the last really innovative game-play mechanic. Something totally new and not a new catch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.