Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

Sony Presentation Demo

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By huser

I don't know. Seems kinda like WE'RE the assholes here in that demo. Took out a dude then started shooting. Maybe thems the breaks when the jungle is right outside the door (as in every MF-er in this room needs to die so too bad you decided to fight back), but really I was rooting for the guys trying to deal with Nathan Drake, home invader and his psychotic buddy.

EDIT - Heck, at least throw some kids or just women into the mix. Rough and tumble thugs that decide to come in ones and twos make the killing way too easy. And given it's a game, no amount of them will ever really be hard. Now having to tell Ellen Page she has to help you ice some little kids because they'll raise the alarm and your lives are the only ones that mattter...THAT is the hard choice in the post apocalypse.

Towers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Towers

Sounds like you've been drinking a tall glass of Haterade.

FissionSt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FissionSt

Keep in mind that those are the same raiders from the most recent FMV trailer. They already tried to kill Joel and Ellie once.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Chop

What is it about Naughty Dog games that brings this stuff on? The actual likable protagonists and banter?

Either way, I'm curious to know how much of that stuff is scripted.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Anwar said:

I totally get how Jeff was impressed by this demo. I hope that it's develops differently and just thinking how that would turn out without missing shots is awesome. Can I avoid getting choked at the end? I hope so. That would make an awesome game with a lot of replayability depending on your playstyle and approach.

It looked to me like that part was organic, so to speak. But maybe the devs are getting creative with their scripted events. Either way, looks amazing.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By killacam

shut it.

Avatar image for deathmachine117
    Deathmachine117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Deathmachine117

Have they shown any gameplay in dealing with the infected yet ?

I think it looks amazing the combat for lack of a better word looked fun and tense and well I could explore a post apocalyptic world like that for a good while. Makes me sad I no longer have my PS3.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jmfinamore

I was kinda bummed by how much of an action game it was. I was hoping that it would have a bit more I am Alive elements and maybe some diplomacy options built in. But it's always tough to tell from stage demos, since they always choose action-heavy scenes. But it looks amazing, regardless. The animation just makes everything look brutal.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By RedRoach

@Anwar said:

I totally get how Jeff was impressed by this demo. I hope that it's develops differently and just thinking how that would turn out without missing shots is awesome. Can I avoid getting choked at the end? I hope so. That would make an awesome game with a lot of replayability depending on your playstyle and approach.

Jeff saw a different demo I believe.

But damn this game is brutal and I love it. Joel is not a hero, the devs have said it numerous times. That ending...Christ, he begged for his life and you SMOKED HIM IN HIS DAMN FACE WITH A SHOTGUN.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By captain_clayman

@HarlequinRiot said:

I was kinda bummed by how much of an action game it was. I was hoping that it would have a bit more I am Alive elements and maybe some diplomacy options built in. But it's always tough to tell from stage demos, since they always choose action-heavy scenes. But it looks amazing, regardless. The animation just makes everything look brutal.

well obviously they showed an exciting vertical slice.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee

@RedRoach said:

@Anwar said:

But damn this game is brutal and I love it. Joel is not a hero, the devs have said it numerous times. That ending...Christ, he begged for his life and you SMOKED HIM IN HIS DAMN FACE WITH A SHOTGUN.

Exactly. Joel is meant to be kind of a scumbag really, or at the very least a man with a highly loose set of morals. Even before the apocalypse, ND have stated that he's killed people before.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I loved what I saw. Really looking forward to seeing how the game turns out.

tsiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tsiro
    huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By huser

@RedRoach said:

@Anwar said:

Yeah that anti-impressed me. You got a dude at your mercy and you don't exactly have a sporting goods store to fill that shotgun back up. Cavalier use of ammo works for Drake, not so much post apocalypse where one of the first things the bad guys say is "he's got a gun!"

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By cornbredx

There was no context in the demo they showed. It kind of assumes you've followed the hype train up to this point I guess (I haven't as I want to play it, and I only see hype for games I am interested in during E3, otherwise I ignore it for the most part).

I am really hoping that those scenes weren't as scripted as they feel- as if random moments like those can happen at any given point (fighting a dude, your partner hits him in the head with a brick so he doesn't shoot you, you go to take him down, oh whats this, another dude clobbers you with a board to the back of the head) that would be really cool.

Well in theory anyway. I really do want to check it out, it has potential to be something really great.

The pacing of it will also require a really great story, as well.

I'm not saying they cant deliver, but this game seems incredibly ambitious. That's what the games industry needs right now. To many top tier games getting stagnant, and rehashing "done that" mechanics. Only the indie sector has been at least noticeably been trying new stuff (not all of it, I'm not trying to be pretentious and say only Indie games push the envelope- sometimes they don't either and sometimes big budget games do try and fail). I hope they at least recognize that experiments in game design can lead to amazing things.

Just look at minecraft and how crazy huge that game got. It started its own game play genre of sorts. It's pretty crazy.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Yummylee

Also it's true, the action did look highly scripted, but there were options available to the player. It looked like, despite the results of what happened, you have a significant amount of control. It'd be truly outstanding if combat scenarios such as the one show during E3 are as versatile as they look; maybe to compensate, the game will be relatively short? Or maybe that's a very early fight scene (possibly even a tutorial section), so it's made to be more cinematic because it's your 'first' so to speak.

I'm fucking stoked for it regardless. Last of Us along with Watch Dogs and Resident Evil 6 made my E3. That Beyond Two Souls looks pretty interesting as well.

Oh and my my, I was so thrilled to see there's an inventory system as well; scarcity of ammo, non-regenerating health, it's similar to I Am Alive in that it's survival horror without the horror. Sure, there'll be mutant things, but Last of Us will more than likely be dealing in cold hard tension rather than fright. And all of this with the usual sort of quality we've come to expect from Naughty Dog. I just hope it'll be ready for a 2012 release because I wanna get into this ASAP.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MiniPato

@tsiro said:

That's not Ellen Page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Johnson

Well the character model sure looks like Ellen Page.

In the post apocalypse it's everyman, woman, child, or group for themselves.

I wonder how much of it was scripted and how much of it was dynamic. But I'm loving how intense the combat and even the gunfights look. Getting shot knocks you to the ground and out of cover, almost like Kane and Lynch 2 style. Also you have a health bar and what looks to be a crafting system. Much deeper than Uncharted, that's for sure. Maybe this'll keep people from giving Naughty Dog shit for only being able to make hollywood/Michael bay style games.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By huser

@Anwar said:

@CrazyBagMan:

Well, he totally could've killed the dude when the girl throws something at him and if he didn't waste his bullets before, he could shoot that guy. The ending is a lil' bit of a stretch on my part.

@RedRoach: he mentioned how enemies can hear that you don't have ammo and it could very well be another demo, but it sounded familiar. I knew that when was out of ammo that he would try to fire and that the dude would charge him, because Jeff said that, but that is obviously a game mechanic and not just scripted moment in this particular scene.

I can't recall, was there a way to goose this response? As in pretending to be out of bullets? I'm totally stoked about this game, I just thought this specific demo was a little weird.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Yummylee

@huser said:

@RedRoach said:

@Anwar said:

Yeah that anti-impressed me. You got a dude at your mercy and you don't exactly have a sporting goods store to fill that shotgun back up. Cavalier use of ammo works for Drake, not so much post apocalypse where one of the first things the bad guys say is "he's got a gun!"

That was no doubt a player choice I imagine. You could probably hit him with it instead or even let him go; I'm sure the option to not waste a guy's face off will be there if need be.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By huser
    huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By huser

@Anwar said:

@huser:As far as I can tell it was your decision and he tried to kill you seconds before, so saving ammo is maybe not the first thing which comes to mind after somebody tries to chocke you to death.

Half the people he took out was with a whack to the head or otherwise bulletless. Most of them were armed and trying to kill him. Dude at your feet's been stabbed kicked in the face and smacked in the head. I fail to see why another boot or shotgun butt to the face would be any less effective in taking this guy out. There's also the noise factor given as far as we could tell that was the last guy in the immediate vicinity.

Rabid619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rabid619

If you listen when Joel first hears the group of men in the building they are saying something along the lines of "That guy put up a hell of a fight" "Yeah, how many is that?" "Five just this week.", so I really doubt that these were good men that they came across in the demo. Plus yeah, as it has been stated, Joel isn't really a "good guy", he's worried about no one but himself and Ellie now.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By huser

@Yummylee said:

@huser said:

@RedRoach said:

@Anwar said:

That was no doubt a player choice I imagine. You could probably hit him with it instead or even let him go; I'm sure the option to not waste a guy's face off will be there if need be.

Oh that seemed obvious. Player agency seems huge in this game or at least the illusion. I just didn't read badass from that scene like the poster I was responding to.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SlightConfuse

i felt that it as too scripted and cenimatic, not enough for the player to do in each situation

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By AngelN7

I think Joel did what a man desperate for his life and his partner would do period , if you don't kill them they'll kill you that's how it is maybe down the road thye will find paceful people who knows, personally I loved it the combat looks brutal I love how the HUD only comes out in combat just like Uncharted and It didn't seem too scripted like at all there's a couple of ways that scenario could've turned out those rooms where pretty big and he missed a couple of shots intentionally , also man ... people don't EVER question the morals of any other characters in that situation but Drake kills some mercs and he's the baddest of all bad guys guess what? so is every other character you control in a 3rd person action game, want Joel to be "a good guy"? then try to kill as few people as you can within the restrictions of the game.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By DeathByWaffle

The demo really just blew me away. For some reason I had totally forgotten about this game, but it's definitely one of the things I'm most looking forward to now.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Marcsman

Dare I say GOTY?

diabloshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By diabloshadow

@MiniPato: I like to think they had Ellen Page in mind but Quantic Dream got her to work on Beyond instead. Would make sense I think.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.