Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

The Last of Us - Initial thoughts

krummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By krummi

So, as I finally got a PS4 couple weeks back and when I was looking for games to marvel at I decided to get The Last of Us (remastered edition) for it. Despite being a "last gen" game The Last of Us sure looks pretty - and sounds great as well. On my first sitting (last weekend) I got to Joels old friend Bill and up to this point the only annoyance has been the combat.

The characters so far seem well written for a game and seem to act accordingly to events around them. Of course you can like or dislike them but the motives seem to fit the person. The world is gorgeous to wander through and seems believable. I especially liked the arrival to Bills hometown (Lincoln?) nearly as much as Ellie. Atmosphere has been fantastic so far in the game.

The bad thing about action is the feel of it. When things go down the crapper I feel like Im fighting the controls more than the mushroom folk. Shooting seems very awkward and it is a miracle if I manage to shoot twice at something in a row. Weirdly this is not a issue in multiplayer which seemed ok.

Despite the combat I can barely wait for the weekend a chance to continue the story.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

You think the shooting feels off? Hmmm. I remember disliking the stealth a lot, but the shooting was pretty satisfying for what it was. Maybe the aim-stabilizer perks make it feel a lot better. You might wanna focus on getting those pretty fast.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Could it be the weapon swaying? At first I was really put off by the shaky reticule both mechanically (I've never been great at shooters with controllers so adding that sway makes it even more difficult) and narratively (surely Joel can hold a gun steadily from the twenty years of experience of dealing with clickers and bandits). After fully upgrading the weapon sway though, it has been perfectly fine, though I would still use it as a last resort, since choking people out/the bow is my preferred way to deal with enemies.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I thought the stealth and shooting both felt amazing, so I really never understand it when people complain. I mean in terms of flexibility and tightness, it's up there with the best of them.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By TobbRobb

@liquidprince: I don't think the stealth was poorly executed exactly, but it's definitely a niche within a niche. I just don't like they way they make you stealth in the game, and how limited your options were while doing it. Though if I remember the map design correctly, perhaps that would have changed later in the game. But I shot through those sections instead. It's pretty fun to make them lose track of you and show up on the flank with a shotgun.

peterdotorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I just started it yesterday and love it so far. I'm only an hour and a half in, so I haven't had a chance for any of the mechanics to bother me. It all feels good to me but I'm only as far as Ellie showing up, so maybe that will change?

Mostly all I can think of after playing an hour and a half is the pre-title sequence, which might be my favorite game opening ever.

krummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could it be the weapon swaying? At first I was really put off by the shaky reticule both mechanically (I've never been great at shooters with controllers so adding that sway makes it even more difficult) and narratively (surely Joel can hold a gun steadily from the twenty years of experience of dealing with clickers and bandits). After fully upgrading the weapon sway though, it has been perfectly fine, though I would still use it as a last resort, since choking people out/the bow is my preferred way to deal with enemies.

I think this is the problem Im having combines with the movement of the AI enemies which seems twitchy (is okay on the other hand when it comes to the infected). I have been able to go past most of the encounters with stealth so it is not a huge problem.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I mean in terms of flexibility and tightness, it's up there with the best of them.

:D:D:D

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I think they tone down some of the reticle sway in multiplayer. I remember the shooting to be purposefully inaccurate which is kinda cool while stealthing about, but frustrating in the action segments. Around two thirds through they get rid of forced shoot-outs and emphasize stealth more. So if you can stick with it for another six hours or so I think you'll have a better time with it.

TheMikFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb: I've always had a love/hate relationship with the Uncharted/TLOU's shooting mechanics. I can't really put my finger on why. It always felt kinda loose. Didn't stop me from finishing all of them though :)

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

The shooting is meant to be off. Unlike a normal third person shooter, shooting here is designed to be meaningful, an option with which to approach every scenario, instead of the only method. It's hard to hit exactly where you want, and normally it is better to use a stealthy approach or even avoid combat altogether, utilizing shooting just as a last resort.

In an apocalyptic world, bullets should be cherished and used just as a last option, due to scarcity of ammunition and, never having fired a gun, I believe that without aim assist it is meant to be hard to shoot where you want to.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a survival game, you're not meant to be great at shooting.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@liquidprince said:

I mean in terms of flexibility and tightness, it's up there with the best of them.

:D:D:D

SG knows what I'm talking about =P

krummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a survival game, you're not meant to be great at shooting.

Then shouldn't the character be portrayed as someone who is not? Joel has been running the gauntlet for 20 years and that to me tells he probably knows how to use a firearm. And regarding the last option only, this is how I deal with it in the game anyways so its not a real biggie - but in a game as great as this it is a bummer nevertheless.

Still I have to say that this is a thing that is way better to deal with resource limitation instead of making the character or action hard to handle. Something like Resident Evil 5 had really clunky controls when it came to shooting - but the bullets went where you aimed. It is always a choice from the developers how to deal with this and in my opinion Naughty Dog did the wrong choice here. But if there is less of this ahead like @rejizzle said this makes me happy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.