Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

The Road : The Video Game

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SSully

Anyone else getting a feeling this game was heavily inspired by the book The Road (By Cormac McCarthy)

It features a man and his young child(who was born after the world went to shit), and they are scavenging to get by. Obviously the biggest addition is some kind of creatures.

Personally I think this is a fantastic idea. My biggest hope is they keep up the whole scavenging aspect in this game like in the trailer. One of the best part of The Road was how the Father and Son were desperate for food and other supplies. I can't wait to see more on this.

jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By jelekeloy

When it opened up to the city it looked a lot like I Am Legend to me. Then again, I know nothing about The Road and maybe I Am Legend is a rip-off of that? Either way, I'm excited to see what Naughty Dog can do with it.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SSully

@jelekeloy: I agree with the I Am Legend reference. It is mainly like The Road because of the Father/child relationship and the struggle to survive. The fact that it seems to be set in an overgrown city also indicates they are being inspired by I Am legend, which is also about the struggle to survive.

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By solidlife

I dont think that will be a main focus maybe for the hardest difficulty setting.

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Rave

I think this looks great and as a father I love that the main character is a father protecting his daughter makes it much easier to connect to their plite. Wish more characters in games had families.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Dany

I hate it when people belittle games as "Oblivion with guns" "Gears of zombies" "Metal Gear Devil May Cry" "Left for Dead: Uncharted"

It looks like a post-apoclyptic zombie game with an emphasis on survival. It seems very nice, reminded me a lot of I Am Legend and less on The Road.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By N7
    @Dany: Which would be pretty good to remind everyone that these aren't zombies. We don't know to what limitation, but this is a fungous growing out of people and making them turn batshit insane.

And also that is not his daughter.
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By EuanDewar

How do you not hire Ellen Page? Is she that busy? I mean, that character looks exactly like her and was called Ellie.

Like, at least try.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I actually really like the scrounging early on in fallout games. When you're picking up everything you can to turn in for caps or use as a weapon. I also really liked it in dead island. What I didn't like was the stupid repair systems in either of them. Either give me unbreakable weapons, or give me unrepairable weapons. Fixing shit is no fucking fun.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MiniPato

@EuanDewar said:

How do you not hire Ellen Page? Is she that busy? I mean, that character looks exactly like her and was called Ellie.

Like, at least try.

Do we know whether she voices the character or not? I haven't seen enough Ellen Page movies to know her voice.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I would be more interested if they took out the zombies and made the enemies other people. I think a post-apocalyptic game without mutants could be pretty cool.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I'm only interested in this because of Troy Baker.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EuanDewar

@MiniPato said:

@EuanDewar said:

Like, at least try.

Do we know whether she voices the character or not? I haven't seen enough Ellen Page movies to know her voice.

I have and that was not her. If it comes out that she actually is voicing the character that was not her in this trailer. Maybe It was temp or something.

SirSuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SirSuperior

Reminded me more of 28 Weeks Later. Fast zombies in the big city, father and child.

Dots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dots

@EuanDewar said:

I have and that was not her. If it comes out that she actually is voicing the character that was not her in this trailer. Maybe It was temp or something.

Well then I don't know if I want Ellen Page, I thought "the temp" was pretty good.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EuanDewar

@Dots said:

@EuanDewar said:

Well then I don't know if I want Ellen Page, I thought "the temp" was pretty good.

Not saying it was bad, just that it wasn't Ellen Page.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SlightConfuse

having read the book and seen the emovie this was my thought as well, could pull from worse material. But more is to come

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Dany said:

I hate it when people belittle games as "Oblivion with guns" "Gears of zombies" "Metal Gear Devil May Cry" "Left for Dead: Uncharted"

It looks like a post-apoclyptic zombie game with an emphasis on survival. It seems very nice, reminded me a lot of I Am Legend and less on The Road.

Agreed on both your points.The brief shot of the city is almost an exact replica of the city in I am Legend, which in my opinion isn't a bad thing. 
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EvilTwin
    @EuanDewar said:

Like, at least try.

If she wasn't too busy, she'd probably be too expensive.
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Vorbis

@EvilTwin said:

@EuanDewar said:

Like, at least try.

You forget this is Naughty Dog, she wouldn't just sit in a booth and record her lines. Mo-cap suits and actual acting would be required, not exactly something you can do over a weekend.

Also pretty sure the father character was Troy Baker so I would assume that's a lock.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Masha2932

One of the screens from the trailer was straight out of I am Legend. That been said if I can drive a Mustang while hunting antelopes I'm in.

The game looks OK. I need to see more though but I hope it's less linear than uncharted 3.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MiniPato

Is it weird and that the cordycep fungi explanation and it being developed by Naughty Dog makes me totally interested in another zombie game?

I'm only worried that scavenging and conserving ammo and supplies won't be an issue in this game. As much as games like to tout that aspect in their games, they never hold true to their promise. I'll always have a surplus of ammo or health items. Even in the STALKER games.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By Dagbiker
    @EvilTwin
    @EuanDewar said:

Like, at least try.

she Dose fucken cysco commercials, she would blow you if it would get her exposer
    Dots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dots

@EuanDewar: No probs, bro. I'm just saying aswell. ;)

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RE_Player1

The game looks incredible and the premise sounds interesting. If this looks better than Uncharted 3 when all is said and done Naughty Dog are truly masters of their craft. Can't wait to see gameplay. Did they announce if this is a 2012 or 2013 game?

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pw2566ch

I love games and this game looks awesome, but I just can't mess with this. I guess that fear of what if the world does become all fucked up like this. I've seen The Road and that movie was well made, but I was just scared shitless. I have two kids and I wouldn't know what to even do if shit like that started happening.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MiniPato

@Anwar:

It was in the beginning of the trailer.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TentPole

I hope this gives naughty a chance to add a little more depth to their storytelling. Something they flirted with in Uncharted 3.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I got more of a I Am Legend vibe from it, which is good since that book was fantastic. The Road? Not so much.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Barrock

@jelekeloy said:

When it opened up to the city it looked a lot like I Am Legend to me. Then again, I know nothing about The Road and maybe I Am Legend is a rip-off of that? Either way, I'm excited to see what Naughty Dog can do with it.

I Am Legend came first actually. :p Well, the story anyway.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Vonocourt

So yeah, I'm really fucking excited about this game after that trailer, which doesn't happen that often.

Seems more I Am Legend though, The Road would be pretty bleak for such a huge video game. That, and Naughty Dog's focus on dialogue is at odds with the deliberately sparse conversations from the novel.

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By maskedarcstrike

@Sackmanjones said:

@Dany said:

Agreed on both your points.The brief shot of the city is almost an exact replica of the city in I am Legend, which in my opinion isn't a bad thing.

The end shot of the trailer with the vegetation in the area taking over the city actually reminded me more of Enslaved than anything else from an environment perspective. I was still amazed by the trailer though, the animations looked stunning, the scene where the girl sorted through shell casings in her hand for bullets was really smart and well done IMO. I hope it reflects the rest of the game as a whole when it comes out.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

There was far too much sunlight and not near dire enough/depressing tone for it to have been The Road. That was a great book but man...downer city. 
    For sure got an I Am Legend vibe, pretty interested in what those zombie/mutant/fungus things are.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Master_Funk

@maskedarcstrike: Well one of the lead designers of enslaved is working on this game, so that probably was a big influence

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By Ghostiet
    @EuanDewar said:

@Dots said:

@EuanDewar said:

Not saying it was bad, just that it wasn't Ellen Page.

I fucking hate Ellen Page, so I'm glad.

Game looks interesting if just judging by that teaser. All I wanted in years is a survival type of game that is CHARACTER DRIVEN Goddammit.

Voshterkoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Voshterkoff
    matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By matthias2437

This is nothing like The Road movie or book. Like at all. This looked like I am Legend in everyway, the creatures moved and acted the same, the city looked exactly the same.

wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38  Edited By wealllikepie

@EuanDewar said:

Like, at least try.

Probably for the same reasons why they designed Nathan Drake after (an albeit slimmer) Nathan Fillion in the first uncharted. They didn't want to chain the character to being Fillion's "likeness", and as Drake became his own character in the sequels, they had the breathing room to iterate on their brainchild.

He's not a carbon copy, but the similarity is there.
    He's not a carbon copy, but the similarity is there.
    Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Grimhild

I was actually more excited before the "not-zombie" zombies came into the trailer.

Having that type of omnipresent threat is all well and good, but I hope they do something a little more substantial to separate their teeming masses of [x] from the rest of the pack instead of just saying "infected" or "Shroomheads" or something like that. And scrounging for more than just ammunition, the occasional quest item (find meh a lawnmower motor t'open this here gate!) and having the need for sleep would go a long way for me, personally.

Personal Pet Peeve: Also, why do all these not-zombies always just look like they spilled leftover gravy on their clothes? If they have no concept of public decency and are constantly engaging in actions that would deteriorate their clothing, such as sprinting through underbrush and garbage filled streets etc etc, you'd think their clothing would be little more than dirty rags by this point since apparently the outbreak was at least a decade ago, judging by the age of the girl and her having no concept of "normal" life. Bums on the street have a hard enough time keeping some semblance of clothing after a comparatively short amount of time of being homeless. That always bugs me in zombie themed games/movies/stories.

Still, looks cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.