Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

Was anyone else shocked with ... (spoilers inside)

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ellie's death animations when you were playing as her? I can't remember a game off of the top of my head where children died, and let alone so brutally. I'm glad N.D. didn't shy away from showing how cruel their world could be to kids.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Not to cut down your thread at the knees but...

Kids have died in games before. That said I would have found it more irritating if they treated her death differently from Joel's.

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What does actually happen?

I always sneaked past everyone and the only animation I can remember is when David buries his machete into her shoulder.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raineko:

She gets killed similarly to how Joel is killed. So imagine Joel's deaths with Ellie.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was very shocked, I thought they would handle it differently because of her age, glad they didn't though.

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cbk486

@jasonr86: I'm not doubting you, but could you give some examples?

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there wasn't a bloater in the Ellie sequence, was there? That bloater death animation is brutal, so seeing that happen to Ellie would have been rough. Regardless, I'm glad Naughty Dog kept them in there. If they had shied away from that, it would have affected the sense of role-reversal that sequence involved, with Ellie taking Joel's role of the guardian.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Engh.

Naughty Dog did a great job in many ways to give you the impression that Ellie was a kid, but in the end I felt it never quite went far enough to give me that impression. She talks, behaves moves, and reasons like a grown woman. Maybe the world she lives in is so divorced from the world we live in that the concept of "teenager" has lost all meaning for someone looking in on it, but I just saw her as another adult.

Also, maybe I'm just around teenagers of her age way too much, but that fact that she didn't grow physically over the time spent in the game world detached me from it, some, as well.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm glad they put that in there. It's a M-rated video game after all.

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Engh.

Naughty Dog did a great job in many ways to give you the impression that Ellie was a kid, but in the end I felt it never quite went far enough to give me that impression. She talks, behaves moves, and reasons like a grown woman. Maybe the world she lives in is so divorced from the world we live in that the concept of "teenager" has lost all meaning for someone looking in on it, but I just saw her as another adult.

Also, maybe I'm just around teenagers of her age way too much, but that fact that she didn't grow physically over the time spent in the game world detached me from it, some, as well.

I don't think they can really make her grow physically. The problem is that Ashley Johnson has really the size of Ellie and they can't really make her bigger.

That's also why I think they don't know how to make a sequel because they could only do a sequel with her right after the first game where she still has the same height.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone remember the controversy in the original Deus Ex? You could actually, kill, children there. I remember that being a big deal.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbk486:

The first one that comes to mind is the Walking Dead game. Though I'm blanking on others. I just find it less impactful because game stories have matured to a point that things like kids dying have less of an impact because I would expect a fucked story in a fucked up world to dive into such issues.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Fredchuckdave

You guys realize female puberty can complete by 14 right? She's murdered countless hunters, I'd say that makes her a woman in my book. There must be a trail of thousands of dead bodies between Pittsburgh and Wyoming.

Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there wasn't a bloater in the Ellie sequence, was there? That bloater death animation is brutal, so seeing that happen to Ellie would have been rough. Regardless, I'm glad Naughty Dog kept them in there. If they had shied away from that, it would have affected the sense of role-reversal that sequence involved, with Ellie taking Joel's role of the guardian.

There is, but a bloater death animation for Ellie is just her getting punched in the face.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Shit, I just realised I close my eyes every time Joel or Ellie get's killed. . . This game is bringing out some weird tendencies in me.

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cbk486

@jasonr86: Oh, I remember in the Walking Dead that the only children killed had already been zombiefied. I guess there were some killed that hadn't turned, so I'll take your word for it.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@cbk486 said:

@jasonr86: I'm not doubting you, but could you give some examples?

Fallout 1 and 2

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cbk486

@fancysoapsman: I haven't played any of the fallout series before three...I really should look into them.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys realize female puberty can complete by 14 right? She's murdered countless hunters, I'd say that makes her a woman in my book.

Get out of here David!

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By JazGalaxy

@raineko said:

@jazgalaxy said:

Engh.

I don't think they can really make her grow physically. The problem is that Ashley Johnson has really the size of Ellie and they can't really make her bigger.

That's also why I think they don't know how to make a sequel because they could only do a sequel with her right after the first game where she still has the same height.

I'm no 3d animator, but all motion capture/performance capture measures is information. Math, essentially. I think they could just map the different points to whatever size model they wanted to use. This is how they would do it for monsters, and whatnot (Hulk, Gollum, etc.).

lusence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lusence

not a bit. was a bit shocked with the whole henry blowing his own brains out after capping his little bro... felt kinda odd in the next segment as its been a few months for them and i was still like WTF. I think if your actually playing the char it doesnt equal to actually seeing or even killing the kid. I mean then you got to look at how many games you play as a kid, and can die!

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raineko said:

@jazgalaxy said:

Engh.

I'm no 3d animator, but all motion capture/performance capture measures is information. Math, essentially. I think they could just map the different points to whatever size model they wanted to use. This is how they would do it for monsters, and whatnot (Hulk, Gollum, etc.).

The problem is that the actors do the mocap scenes in which they interact with each other. So I wouldn't really know how they would make that work.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.