Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

Why do people complain about this game's linearity?

• 96 results
    Persona3rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

One of the biggest complaints that I always hear about The Last of Us is "it's too linear" and "the player doesn't have any choices". My question is: why does it really matter? Since when did we start to say that a game isn't good unless the player can make choices that effect the ending? When did we start to put limits on a work of fiction? A game, quite frankly, can be anything the developers want it to be. There aren't any rules or limitations, and that's the charm of a video game is in the first place. I love both linear and nonlinear games. I love when you can make choices and really put yourself in the main character's shoes, and I also love when you merely have a window into another person's life. The latter is what The Last of Us does. The game makes it quite clear that you are not Joel or Ellie, and that you are merely experiencing their story.

So again, I'm just wondering why the linearity seems to matter that much to people.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I never had a problem with it - Naughty Dog had a specific story they wanted to tell, and the "linear" story line lets them accomplish this. To be honest, I don't feel like I've heard that many people complain about it either.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DonPixel

Some people don't like linear games, I prefer open word systematic games like FC, GTA, Skyrim etc..

Not that one is better than the other, just different people diferent taste.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I don't want every game to have choice.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DonPixel

@believer258 said:

I don't want every game to have choice.

No game designer-developer ever said or asked for that

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By geirr

I sure don't! I like well-told stories and Last of Us has that [mumble] even if one might disagree with the ending. [/mumble]

Persona3rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never had a problem with it - Naughty Dog had a specific story they wanted to tell, and the "linear" story line lets them accomplish this. To be honest, I don't feel like I've heard that many people complain about it either.

I agree with you, which is why I'm confused as to why people have a problem with the linear story. But I have heard many people complain about this.

@donpixel said:

Some people don't like linear games, I prefer open word systematic games like FC, GTA, Skyrim etc..

Not that one is better than the other, just different people diferent taste.

I totally understand that some people just don't like linear games, and I would be fine with them saying that they personally don't like the game because of it's linearity. However, I've heard many people say it's a flaw that The Last of Us is linear. That I have a problem with. It's fine if someone doesn't someone doesn't like that aspect of the game, but they also have to realize that that's just their opinion, and they can't pass the game off as being flawed because they personally don't like something about it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I had no problem with it, and the fact that an encounter never played out the same for me is all the "choice" I needed. The combat was very tactical, in the Halo or Crysis type of design. That's more important to me than a choice that changes 5 seconds of dialogue later.

That's why the new Uncharted reveal was exciting to me: big combat arena with a ton of options.

Persona3rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

I had no problem with it, and the fact that an encounter never played out the same for me is all the "choice" I needed. The combat was very tactical, in the Halo or Crysis type of design. That's more important to me than a choice that changes 5 seconds of dialogue later.

That's why the new Uncharted reveal was exciting to me: big combat arena with a ton of options.

If you wouldn't mind taking the time to explain, what was this new Uncharted reveal? I love Uncharted but I have not heard anything about this reveal yet. You got me curious :)

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@persona3rocks: Front page of this site, there's an Uncharted 4 gameplay video. Combat starts about halfway through.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Wait, people are complaining about this game's linearity? It's designed to be linear. It's gameplay loop works in a linear setting.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've literally never heard that complaint

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've literally never heard that complaint

Same.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

People complaining about linearity do love to run around in circles in those 'open' world games. The complaint of linearity is solely used by fanboys, mad that their favourite game got snubbed by TLOU in GOTY awards and deliberations. Most games are linear, open world games just do a better job in hiding it.

Spankmealotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't heard the complaint about it. However, it is the internet and people have to find something to complain about.

undrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One part the kind of pissed me off was when Ellie first get's a (sniper?) rifle, I killed everyone in the area with stealth but they just kept respawning, like the game had to show that Ellie helped Joel, I had to get detected to get through the section.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Legion_

Can't say I have seen much criticism of this game at all. In fact, I think it's way overrated. Played through it once and never touched it again. I was mostly bored while playing the game. Then again, I'm at a point in my life where I have no interest in games where I can't make my own stories as I go along. I find myself only having fun with big, long open world games where I can really put hundreds of hours down.

Edit: Not just open world games really. More like persistent games I guess. Games where I can focus on one character for a really long time, and where the game never "ends", not in the traditional form anyway.

Edit 2: @persona3rocks said:

I totally understand that some people just don't like linear games, and I would be fine with them saying that they personally don't like the game because of it's linearity. However, I've heard many people say it's a flaw that The Last of Us is linear. That I have a problem with. It's fine if someone doesn't someone doesn't like that aspect of the game, but they also have to realize that that's just their opinion, and they can't pass the game off as being flawed because they personally don't like something about it.

What? Of course they can complain about that. It's just the same thing that you don't think that's a flaw. That also just your opinion. There's no right or wrong here. For some, The Last of Us is flawed because it's not more open. For others, it's not. I find it so weird that the concept of a opinion is still something that has to be explained in 2014.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People complaining about linearity do love to run around in circles in those 'open' world games. The complaint of linearity is solely used by fanboys, mad that their favourite game got snubbed by TLOU in GOTY awards and deliberations. Most games are linear, open world games just do a better job in hiding it.

Wow. You sound like a fun person.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I would complain about the clumsy and sometimes lazy gameplay - the linearity is the biggest thing it has going for itself.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@legion_: I'm not saying this to anyone in this topic but it's a ridicilous argument raised against all of Naughty Dog's games on certain parts of the internet. Ultimately all games are liniar in the sense that you have to follow a certain sequence to reach the end. Branch off from route A to route B or even C but ultimately you'll reach Z.

Back when you could argue games weren't lineair was with games like the original Deus Ex. In times like these picking a different dialogue tree is misrepresented as freedom or open ended.

My point is, TLOU got a lot of weird criticism including this one...while many other games are as 'linear'...perhaps awfully suspicious when the game started raking in awards and GOTY's...

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like both linear and non-linear games. To me it would be awfully boring if there would be only open world type of games out there.

Sometimes it is just nice to experience the story that the developers have given to you.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trafalgarlaw: But certainly some games are less linear than others. And when people talk about linear vs. non-linear, I think they're mostly talking about the game world, and not the story. I know I do. I usually don't care much for stories in game anymore, as I've found that this media isn't my preferred way to enjoy a story. Seems like no one has really figured it out yet. Still, I love just losing myself in huge worlds and role playing a character.

The Elder Scrolls series is probably the best example of this to me. Huge worlds where you can do whatever you like, and be whoever you like. The core stories of those games aren't good, but creating your own character who lives in that world, and experiencing that character's whole journey and story, is very appealing to me. That's where games have a leg up on other media I think. But if you're just creating a very linear experience with no player agency, I don't really get why you're not making a film, TV series or a book, all of which in my opinion are superior ways to experience a story.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

If anything I didn't think it was linear enough, several times I got lost in their shitty maps with them wanting you to go up and around and shit like that. In a few spots they did a terrible job of directing you where to go, thus I usually just ran around, figured out where I needed to go, died, then tried to do it as stealthy as possible.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like other people have already said, some people don't like linear games. That's a matter of taste. Some people don't like The Last of Us and I don't see how that's a problem. Everyone has different tastes. I think the Uncharted games are better games than The Last of Us and that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GunstarRed

I don't remember anyone complaining about that.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Some people don't like linearity I guess. I actually haven't heard anyone dismiss the game solely for this reason. I know a few people who didn't like the doctor scene near the end, for giving the player a meaningless choice to kill the doctors or not. Personally, I didn't like The Last of Us, but not for its linearity.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rejizzle said:

Some people don't like linearity I guess. I actually haven't heard anyone dismiss the game solely for this reason. I know a few people who didn't like the doctor scene near the end, for giving the player a meaningless choice to kill the doctors or not. Personally, I didn't like The Last of Us, but not for its linearity.

I totally shot the doctor in the face. Afterwards I thought to myself, why the hell did I do that? I must be a special kind of awful person.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't know people had a problem with the linearity of the game. If anything, that game needs to be linear to tell the story it tells. My personal problems with that game are its clunky controls and horrible combat/stealth encounters. Also, the story is enjoyable, but super overrated. It's a solid 7/10 in my book, but the game's linearity isn't a problem.

Persona3rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_ said:

What? Of course they can complain about that. It's just the same thing that you don't think that's a flaw. That also just your opinion. There's no right or wrong here. For some, The Last of Us is flawed because it's not more open. For others, it's not. I find it so weird that the concept of a opinion is still something that has to be explained in 2014.

I know what an opinion is. Whether or not something is flawed is not an opinion. A flaw is when there is a mistake or problem in or regarding something. An example would be something like a plot hole or glitches. The Last of Us was fully intended to be linear; the linearity of it was not a mistake. Therefore, it's not a flaw. I'm not saying that people can't express their own personal dislike for linear games, I'm just saying that people shouldn't say that it is a flawed game because it's linear. Does every game have to be nonlinear or something? The answer is no. Not every game needs to follow the same template.

Like other people have already said, some people don't like linear games. That's a matter of taste. Some people don't like The Last of Us and I don't see how that's a problem. Everyone has different tastes. I think the Uncharted games are better games than The Last of Us and that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

I never said you weren't entitles to your opinion, and if I happened to say something that gave you that impression than I apologize.

Persona3rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, I will try to go back and find some of the articles and videos where I heard people criticize the linear nature of the game, since so many people haven't heard this complaint.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_ said:

I know what an opinion is. Whether or not something is flawed is not an opinion. A flaw is when there is a mistake or problem in or regarding something. An example would be something like a plot hole or glitches. The Last of Us was fully intended to be linear; the linearity of it was not a mistake. Therefore, it's not a flaw. I'm not saying that people can't express their own personal dislike for linear games, I'm just saying that people shouldn't say that it is a flawed game because it's linear. Does every game have to be nonlinear or something? The answer is no. Not every game needs to follow the same template.

You say you understand what an opinion is, then you prove that you don't. I perceive it as a flaw that the game isn't more open. Some other dude posted earlier that he thought the game was too open, and he considered that a flaw. And that's fine. If something is flawed or not is actually a matter of opinion, or else every game would be objectively good or bad, and who would decide that?

A lot of people think Skyrim and Dragon Age: Inquisition are flawed for being too open, and thus having a lot of dead time associated with them. I like that they're that open, and if anything, I'd wish Dragon Age was even more open. But again, that is my opinion. I think the Last of Us is a flawed game in many ways, including it's linearity. Boring combat and a generally weak plot doesn't really help it either. I will give the game credit for strong performances and generally good writing though.

Another example is Dragon Age II. A lot of people complained that the game was set in one city. But by your logic, that is not a fair complaint, because the game was designed that way. You're basically saying that if something is designed in a certain way, that can't be a flaw. Ever heard of a design flaw?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you just seem butt hurt that people don't like a game you like, and think that they're opinion is wrong for that reason. At this point, instead of arguing any more, just accept that you made a mistake.

SirFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't aware people complained about this, and if they do have a problem with it maybe they should learn how to research something before they buy it. And I don't understand by what they would mean by linear? Like it's not open world or something? I found the combat situations allowed you to approach them from a variety of positions.

Persona3rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_ said:

You say you understand what an opinion is, then you prove that you don't. I perceive it as a flaw that the game isn't more open. Some other dude posted earlier that he thought the game was too open, and he considered that a flaw. And that's fine. If something is flawed or not is actually a matter of opinion, or else every game would be objectively good or bad, and who would decide that?

A lot of people think Skyrim and Dragon Age: Inquisition are flawed for being too open, and thus having a lot of dead time associated with them. I like that they're that open, and if anything, I'd wish Dragon Age was even more open. But again, that is my opinion. I think the Last of Us is a flawed game in many ways, including it's linearity. Boring combat and a generally weak plot doesn't really help it either. I will give the game credit for strong performances and generally good writing though.

Another example is Dragon Age II. A lot of people complained that the game was set in one city. But by your logic, that is not a fair complaint, because the game was designed that way. You're basically saying that if something is designed in a certain way, that can't be a flaw. Ever heard of a design flaw?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you just seem butt hurt that people don't like a game you like, and think that they're opinion is wrong for that reason. At this point, instead of arguing any more, just accept that you made a mistake.

Perhaps I didn't phrase my thoughts correctly, and for that I apologize. Like I said multiple times previously, I have no problem with someone expressing their own personal dislike of the linearity of the game. However, I've heard some people claim that the linear nature of the game is a "problem" that the game has, and those people don't express that this belief is merely their own opinion. They say it as though it's a fact. That's what I have a problem with.

Also, I have heard of design flaws but I guess you could say I don't believe in them. This is because while some people may dislike the design of the game, others may happen to enjoy it. You can't call something flawed when there is no general consensus on the matter. That's why I say that a "flaw" has to be something that is undeniably wrong with the game, such as a plot hole or glitches.

@sirfork said:

I wasn't aware people complained about this, and if they do have a problem with it maybe they should learn how to research something before they buy it. And I don't understand by what they would mean by linear? Like it's not open world or something? I found the combat situations allowed you to approach them from a variety of positions.

By linear they mean like there aren't any choices in the game that affect the storyline. Apparently taking different approaches to combat isn't good enough for some people.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I never heard anyone complain about the Last of Us. Only that they wished it wasn't an playstation exclusive.

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that it's unfair to say TLOU doesn't have choice. Despite the story being linear, there's a vast amount of variety in how you engage the combat. Overall, I'd say the storytelling fits what Naughty Dog intended the game to be. Skyrim is amazing because of how open and non-linear it is. The Last of Us is brilliant because the way you watch the choices unfold in front of you is beautiful and lovingly crafted.

Obviously someone can find linear games not to their taste, or vice versa. That's fine. But it doesn't necessarily mean the game is flawed simply because it doesn't align with the player's preferences.

Zeds_Dead_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There will always be complaints about games regardless of how positively they are generally received. Some people dislike linear games like TLoU, some dislike huge open worlds like Skyrim and DA:I.

As long as the game is well done and delivers what I hope it to then I'm good with either.

Also, depending on which sites you visit, some places will have you believe every game is terrible and basically try to make you hate your pass time. I avoid these troll breeding grounds.

Persona3rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that it's unfair to say TLOU doesn't have choice. Despite the story being linear, there's a vast amount of variety in how you engage the combat. Overall, I'd say the storytelling fits what Naughty Dog intended the game to be. Skyrim is amazing because of how open and non-linear it is. The Last of Us is brilliant because the way you watch the choices unfold in front of you is beautiful and lovingly crafted.

Obviously someone can find linear games not to their taste, or vice versa. That's fine. But it doesn't necessarily mean the game is flawed simply because it doesn't align with the player's preferences.

Beautifully put. This is exactly what I've been trying to say. You put it much better than I ever could have, though. :)

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@persona3rocks: thanks. Writing that made me wanna go back and play the game for the millionth time.

Persona3rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@persona3rocks: thanks. Writing that made me wanna go back and play the game for the millionth time.

Haha every time I read or watch something regarding The Last of Us I wanna go back and play it for the millionth time. It's like an addiction.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_ said:

Perhaps I didn't phrase my thoughts correctly, and for that I apologize. Like I said multiple times previously, I have no problem with someone expressing their own personal dislike of the linearity of the game. However, I've heard some people claim that the linear nature of the game is a "problem" that the game has, and those people don't express that this belief is merely their own opinion. They say it as though it's a fact. That's what I have a problem with.

Also, I have heard of design flaws but I guess you could say I don't believe in them. This is because while some people may dislike the design of the game, others may happen to enjoy it. You can't call something flawed when there is no general consensus on the matter. That's why I say that a "flaw" has to be something that is undeniably wrong with the game, such as a plot hole or glitches.

Then by your logic no game ever can be bad, and everyone has to like every game ever. Most games ship pretty much intact, without being broken (though 2014 is a bad year for that, I admit). Anyway, that means that most games can be judged by their core design. If that design does not resonate with people, it's fair for those people to call that bad design. Hence, the design of that game is flawed for those people.

I don't know how many times I can explain this. The Last of Us has a design issue in terms of very linear, at least to me. You feel differently, and that's okay. So to me the game is flawed, and to you it is not. It's a subjective opinion. Whether or not a game is flawed or problematic or whatever you want to call it, comes down to your subjective opinion. There's nothing like a objectively good game.

And that's why you absolutely can call something flawed without there being a general consensus on the matter. When it comes to games, movies, music and any other type of media or culture, there will be never be a consensus on anything. It's purely up to taste. The Last of Us is a okay game to me. If I reviewed it, I would give it 3/5. Among it's core problems is that it's too linear. I don't think it's enough to have the choice between hitting a dude with a hammer or shooting him the face. That's not enough player agency. And the worst examples are when you sneak your way past a myriad of dudes, only to have your progress blocked because you have to kill everyone. That's no good.

Persona3rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_ said:

Then by your logic no game ever can be bad, and everyone has to like every game ever. Most games ship pretty much intact, without being broken (though 2014 is a bad year for that, I admit). Anyway, that means that most games can be judged by their core design. If that design does not resonate with people, it's fair for those people to call that bad design. Hence, the design of that game is flawed for those people.

I don't know how many times I can explain this. The Last of Us has a design issue in terms of very linear, at least to me. You feel differently, and that's okay. So to me the game is flawed, and to you it is not. It's a subjective opinion. Whether or not a game is flawed or problematic or whatever you want to call it, comes down to your subjective opinion. There's nothing like a objectively good game.

And that's why you absolutely can call something flawed without there being a general consensus on the matter. When it comes to games, movies, music and any other type of media or culture, there will be never be a consensus on anything. It's purely up to taste. The Last of Us is a okay game to me. If I reviewed it, I would give it 3/5. Among it's core problems is that it's too linear. I don't think it's enough to have the choice between hitting a dude with a hammer or shooting him the face. That's not enough player agency. And the worst examples are when you sneak your way past a myriad of dudes, only to have your progress blocked because you have to kill everyone. That's no good.

And I don't know how many times I'll have to say that everyone is entitled to their own personal opinion. Not everyone has to like every game, and I never said they did. I'm not even trying to convince people to like The Last of Us here. I'm just trying to make a point. I've explained a million times that I don't have a problem with people expressing their own personal dislike for linear games. The problem that I have lies with the fact that people act as though the game is "bad" or "flawed" because they don't like the linearity of it. As bombedyermom so eloquently put, "But it doesn't necessarily mean the game is flawed simply because it doesn't align with the player's preferences." This is exactly what I'm trying to say here. It's not fair to call a game "flawed" just because that player doesn't like how the developers handled the story.

Aside from this matter of opinion and whatnot, I would like to ask you a question: why do you not like linear games?

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And I don't know how many times I'll have to say that everyone is entitled to their own personal opinion. Not everyone has to like every game, and I never said they did. I'm not even trying to convince people to like The Last of Us here. I'm just trying to make a point. I've explained a million times that I don't have a problem with people expressing their own personal dislike for linear games. The problem that I have lies with the fact that people act as though the game is "bad" or "flawed" because they don't like the linearity of it. As bombedyermom so eloquently put, "But it doesn't necessarily mean the game is flawed simply because it doesn't align with the player's preferences." This is exactly what I'm trying to say here. It's not fair to call a game "flawed" just because that player doesn't like how the developers handled the story.

Aside from this matter of opinion and whatnot, I would like to ask you a question: why do you not like linear games?

To me it absolutely means that the game is flawed. You say you don't have a problem with opinions, but then I express my opinion, and you just blatantly scoff at it. You're saying not everyone has to like every game, but you don't accept the reason I don't like The Last of Us. If a game doesn't align with my preferences, of course it's flawed to me.

I don't like linear games because I appreciate the interactive part of a story. If you're not utilizing the interactive aspect of the medium, I really don't see any reason to tell a story in a game. If you're just going to have a completely linear story with no player agency, I'd rather just watch a film or a read a book, both of which inherently are better devices to tell linear stories.

In a game I like to be able to create my own stories within the world, in addition to the core story. Great examples of this is the first Bioshock, The Elder Scrolls series, Fallout series and even a game like Destiny. On the other hand, the story of a game like Uncharted is diminished for actually being a game, considering the lovable rouge is actually a brutal mass murderer. It makes no sense.

As for The Last of Us specifically, my problem is the lackluster story. There are some linear games that I like, but for it to work the story must be really good, the gameplay can't contradict the story, and I don't want to feel like I'm confined. When I'm suddenly a T-800 in The Last of Us, the game suffers for that. And while the main characters are strong, the story itself is predictable and bland.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Because some people like certain types of gameplay, and when something isn't a part of something they like, they complain.

"I really like the open-world of Grand Theft Auto... why doesn't Halo have that! THIS IS TO LINEAR!"

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something doesn't have to be considered or seen as a 'flaw' in order for not everyone to like how its designed, or wish there was at least a bit more openness to it. It's fine that they designed the game arouind how they felt it should be designed, but its also fine for not everyone to love that.

I have plenty I liked about in TLoU, and plenty that I didn't. People need to stop taking it so serious when people don't love the same thing they do.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#49  Edited By hollitz

One of the biggest complaints that I always hear about The Last of Us is "it's too linear" and "the player doesn't have any choices". My question is: why does it really matter? Since when did we start to say that a game isn't good unless the player can make choices that effect the ending? When did we start to put limits on a work of fiction? A game, quite frankly, can be anything the developers want it to be. There aren't any rules or limitations, and that's the charm of a video game is in the first place. I love both linear and nonlinear games. I love when you can make choices and really put yourself in the main character's shoes, and I also love when you merely have a window into another person's life. The latter is what The Last of Us does. The game makes it quite clear that you are not Joel or Ellie, and that you are merely experiencing their story.

So again, I'm just wondering why the linearity seems to matter that much to people.

That's just a stupid complaint to have. It would be like complaining the Skyrim isn't linear enough. It's not that type of game. Deal with it.

And most games that factor in player choice usually have really bad stories. The Mass Effects have great characters but the stories all kinda blow. The Bethesda RPGs have really fun worlds to explore, but I'm not sure I can name more than a character or two from any of the games--let alone try to remember what the story was supposed to be.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I've ever heard that complaint before. Not trying to be a dick, I mean I've seen a lot of detractors talk about this game on video, podcast etc and that's a complaint I've never heard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.