Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

Your Gripes - Share Them!

• 125 results
    kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I though the human A.I was fine, except for the entire sniper part because no matter how far I was out of the line of sight, it always managed to see me and shoot me. And the only major thing I have with this game is the late enemy human combat because they don't die at all (I got tired of it and just shot everyone) and fighting runners as well as clickers at the same time tends to be annoying. Story, voice acting, scenery, it is all amazing, just some parts where you play it I think is bad, then again that is my opinion of all of Naughty Dogs games. Start of awesome, then certain scenarios and enemies make it frustrating.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

The weapon sway was kind of annoying, made it really hard to use the bow. I ended up turning down the difficulty and turning on the aim assist which helped with the guns but didn't make the bow easier.

The way some arrows are retrievable and others break. Unless a dead body is out of reach then you should be able to retrieve your arrows.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm only a few hours in but I find the stealth mechanics to be thin for a game that seems to want to kinda be a stealth game sometimes. Stealth related problems that were solved 15 years ago in stealth genre reappear here, as if Naughty Dog is entirely unfamiliar with game design history:

1. It is never clear to me whether an enemy can or cannot see me. I've been spotted in full shadow from 100 feet away. And on another occasion I crawled right past a dude at arms length in full light, easily within dude's peripheral view, undetected.

2. Enemy's audio detection range doesn't make sense. I throw a brick into a piller across the room, three guys in this room don't even notice? I throw a bottle out into a hallway from a dark room, enemy hears the noise but walks towards meinto the dark room instead of in the direction of the noise.

Gameplay wise it's okay mostly, but still major identity crisis about what kinda game Naughty Dog wants this to be. Do you wanna make The Walking Dead/Heavy Rain? Do you wanna make Half-Life 2? Thief, maybe? It's okay if the desire is to genre mix, but I don't think it's acceptable to take half measures with your included genre bits. Stripped down stealth + stripped down action does not equal full featured anything. Similar to Uncharted 2 (didn't play 3) I'm not feeling like I am really in control of anything happening in the game. I feel like I'm holding up and watching a movie, then I am occasionally asked to complete a gameplay section to unlock the next part of the movie. :/

Also too much we need to get up there, you go around, there's a ladder, you grab that, we need to get over this, around that and so forth.

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So, this is how I feel. I'm about 2/3 through the game on my first playthrough.

Naughty Dog have done a great job in the past of building great games around really generic core mechanics. The Crash games, Jak games and the Uncharted games all follow this same formula.

Take Uncharted for example, it's a real basic third-person cover shooter at the root, but it's what ND wrapped it in that made it so special. The awesome technical set-pieces, the incredible console graphics, likeable/believable characters etc. Uncharted had fireworks going off around it at every turn.

The Last of Us doesn't have any of the same pyrotechnics, and the repetitive gameplay stands out a lot more because of this. I love the story, and Joel and Ellie are pretty cool, but the gameplay on show is super bland.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@handlas said:

@flacracker said:

Dat framerate

This. Gets pretty rough at times.

Recently got a new PC and have been playing most games on it. So it's been awhile going back and playing a game on a console. Just not doing it for me in some parts. The outside areas look pretty rough which is where the framerate tends to dip. The water especially is bad looking.

Otherwise the game is pretty great and I look forward to seeing what Naughty Dog does on better hardware.

Oh and the mulitplayer sucks so bad, imo. Maybe it gets better but when you first jump in it's like you can't drop anyone with a clip of machine gun. Just ends up being frustrating. I kinda like Uncharted multiplayer.

I take back my multiplayer hatred. Gotten kind of addicted to it. Very Gears of War-esque. I only like the 4 on 4 with no respawns mode tho. Still wish guys would get dropped faster tho. But that's almost a Gears of War thing as well where it takes a full clip to drop a dood which I always disliked.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

My only real gripe with the game is the amount of enemies you kill. There is statistics in the game and they count how many you have killed and it easily ends in around 300 people or so. So because the game is so long you still end up killing a LOT of dudes/infected.

The sniper part was the worst part of that for me. It was just way too long and the amount of people you killed, not to mention the amount of ammonition for the sniper was insane. That sequence should have been a lot shorter.

Other than that I freaking love this game.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By HerbieBug

@castiel said:

My only real gripe with the game is the amount of enemies you kill. There is statistics in the game and they count how many you have killed and it easily ends in around 300 people or so. So because the game is so long you still end up killing a LOT of dudes/infected.

The further I get through this game the more I'm wondering whether the number of enemy encounters was drastically increased late in development to pad out the length. I guess I still believe their claim that enemy encounters would be few and meaningful each time from old preview interviews. Perhaps they did that and wound up with something that only took five or six hours to complete, then opted to pad? There was already some reticence expressed by people following the development when it was discovered that one of the achievements was for killing 100 enemies.

It's just weird how they are trying to do item scarcity and survival horror style suspense, but also have bullet sponge enemies, and frequent enemy encounters to the point that I'm not feeling any dread about finding enemies. I expect to be fighting groups of dudes every few minutes while playing this. It doesn't work.

I kinda want to play a version of this game with 80% of the enemy encounters removed.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@castiel said:

The further I get through this game the more I'm wondering whether the number of enemy encounters was drastically increased late in development to pad out the length. I guess I still believe their claim that enemy encounters would be few and meaningful each time from old preview interviews. Perhaps they did that and wound up with something that only took five or six hours to complete, then opted to pad? There was already some reticence expressed by people following the development when it was discovered that one of the achievements was for killing 100 enemies.

It's just weird how they are trying to do item scarcity and survival horror style suspense, but also have bullet sponge enemies, and frequent enemy encounters to the point that I'm not feeling any dread about finding enemies. I expect to be fighting groups of dudes every few minutes while playing this. It doesn't work.

I kinda want to play a version of this game with 80% of the enemy encounters removed.

I dunno, it didn't seem that bad to me. Yes, you run into enemies fairly often in this game (maybe 50/50 or even 60/40 split between enemies and exploration), but only about 20% of those encounters are actual combat scenarios. The rest are stealth, or stealth until you fuck up. This made it significantly more meaningful every time I found myself forced to fight and use my guns.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#109  Edited By Sooty

The AI is flat out random and broken at times, the most annoying thing is when one infected spots you, alerting every single one of them even if they aren't close. And I don't get why sometimes you can hide behind cover and take down an enemy fine by grabbing them, but other times they will immediately spot you before you get the prompt. Not sure if intentional or some kind of bug, it just seems random.

Another thing that annoyed me was when enemies just spawned, kind of immersion breaking as I was using listen mode and nobody was there, as soon as I crossed over a door the next wave of infected populated the level.

Still a great game, it dragged a little bit with some of the later sections when you were put into an area and just have to get past 6 enemies or so. I had a lot of fun with it because it actually felt like a survival experience in that every item counted, and damn the gore was really well done and gritty.

edit: I forgot the most video gamey and immersion breaking thing - the companion AI. Sam and Ellie repeatedly walked right in front of enemies to the point of them touching and were just ignored completely. It felt worse than Elizabeth in BioShock because I was there being really sneaky and sometimes those guys just straight up walked in front of people.

lusence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klei said:

The fact that this game is way too excellent so that whenever something '' videogamy'' happens, it pulls you out of the atmosphere. For instance, Joel being unable to climb a ladder that Ellie is trying to climb at the same time, thus causing both models to collide into one another. Or when your enemies never drop bullets when they're fully armed. I'd rather get one or two bullet for every corpse than looting five randomly.

Other than that, it's an outstanding, ground-breaking experience.

I feel about the same. Besides my first 4 hours in the game I aparently hit the no save bug and lost my 4 hours of game play, first time playing the game also. That scared me but that was the only time that happened thankfully. When I first found out i couldnt loot guns and ammo off every enemy that used them, took the realisim out also was really bugged how Ellie and Tess could run around and litterally bump into the clickers and roamers without even being noticed... besides that it was pretty much flawless.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By HerbieBug

Okay, finished. Yeah I'm convinced they padded out the first half of the game for length. The last third is too well scripted by comparison, it successfully achieves the goal set out for what sort of game this was intended to be. It's sad. There is an incredible eight hour game here. Ah well. That last third... beautiful work.

TheMathlete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I'm not into the combat. I don't know if I'll finish this one.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#113  Edited By Humanity

Did anyone else just sigh with exasperation when you find out the fireflies aren't at the Research Center and now these guys are coming to attack you out of nowhere? That moment was a very real "oh come on guys I'm tired of combat I don't feel like shooting my way through to the entrance give me story instead!" Thankfully you don't have to fight your way out of the entire facility and then the game makes it up to you with the amazing conclusion to that season and the entire Winter section.

Although gotta be honest, hunting that deer started being a little annoying before I realized that it's just scripted and meant to lead you into some horrible situation (game did not disappoint with the horrible situation part)

@starvinggamer I'd say the split is more like 70/30 in favor of combat - or at least it felt that way. The earlier parts were fine for me since you're evading 3-4 guys. Later on as you're sneaking through entire areas filled with enemies, or worse yet forced to fight them the game starts to drag because it's just not that good of a shooter.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda hate everything about the part where you play this game... Naughty Dog, become a movie studio please

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I wish the performance were more consistent, I wish the enemy and friendly AI were more intelligent, and I wish the scripting didn't break as often as it did.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@klei said:

Other than that, it's an outstanding, ground-breaking experience.

What is ground-breaking about it? Just curious I beat it today and it didn't seem all that special to me. Definitely not this "emotional masterpiece" everyone is hyping it up to be.

I've been trying to get this answer for a few days and it doesn't seem like there's really anything concrete. All I've gotten so far is that I'm either 1) an idiot 2) being too cynical or 3) an idiot.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#117  Edited By wrecks

Just finished it. Holy shit. Loved the gameplay, story, characters, all. Only gripe is that its over.

bondfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#118  Edited By bondfish

I enjoyed this game a lot and loved the story. I think this is a really amazing game.

Okay that's out of the way.

Gripes!

1. Every scenario is repetitive. You can use stealth or shot...or use both. It slowed down the story telling in my opinion.

2. I wanted more items to craft. Disappointed by the lack of items.

3. Why did Joel never teach Elie to swim in the whole year they were together. It would have been cool toward the end during the swimming section if Elie was like " I can finally put my skills to the test" or something like them then jump in and swim with Joel

4. I would have been happy if the game ended in Fall.

5. Why doesn't the AI see Elie or other companions you run into. Its quite silly to see 4 people behind a little box and the AI sees 2 of them and doesn't care.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#119  Edited By Seppli

I absolutely hate the fact that crafting items in multiplayer automatically replaces my current weapon with the item I just crafted. I want to craft the item. I'll equip it, when and if I need it. Patronizing bullshit controls.

Isn't that game design 101? Not to just do things the player doesn't want to do? Drives me up the wall sometimes. Taking my thumb of the left analogstick, losing all movement for a split second, just to equip the weapon I never wanted to switch out for whatever crap I just built.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#120  Edited By Tennmuerti

Just finished the game and really enjoyed it. Especially started loving more and more of it as the game went on and it amplified towards the end. Mostly because of the story and great well done characters. The last scene really solidified my good feelings towards the game. As I nodded my approval and put down the controller.

That said I have been keeping a mental list in my head of shit that was kinda irking my during the game. I'm using this mostly as a way to vent and put these minor negative thoughts behind me and not think about them again (as otherwise i ten to keep over analyzing a game):

• as Seppli mentioned it, the convoluted loot from dead enemies really stood out in a game where a lot of time is spent scavenging, people are shooting you all over the place yet during the game I would have been lucky to get ammo out of 1 guy in 10. tho i'm sure it has a bit to do with my playing on hard and mostly stealth strangling dudes, it still really annoyed me as an extremely artificial way to create ammo scarcity
    • somewhat predictable story beats (oh a lady friend, she gonna die, yep, those 2 bros gonna die, yep, that bunny gonna die, yep, and so on)
    • erratic friendly AI, a lot of the time your friendly AI's would just walk/run right past oblivious enemies, other times I'm being all sneaky like create a commotion somewhere, move away and have a friendly AI start a damn firefight with say half a dozen clickers, thanks :/
    • underwhelming weapon upgrade system, right after the recent Tomb Raider the weapon upgrades in Last of Us are very lacking, both mechanically and visually, while TR your weapons changed appearance and became either more powerful looking or more cobbled together looking the upgrades in LoU aren't reflected on the guns in any way (bar the sniper rifle scope), secondly the upgrades are mostly mundane boosts to things like ammo count or reload speed, when the very similar TR upgrade system added new functionality to weapons and unique useful properties
    • traversal, while this might not stand out in another game, here where you are spending a lot of time just traversing the environment or finding ways around obstacles it really starts to irritate how videogamey all the ladder climbing and boosting is, there were so many many instances where I just could not believe why the feck would the characters just not do a simple physical thing and get past a small obstacle that instead required solving some simplistic "puzzle" to get around, ledges that Joel was head height with yet was invalid way to proceed creating an artificial barrier or a huge truck blocking the street that had half a meter open space underneath that you could climb under, but noooo
    • holy shit dude, get a friggin knife!

Whew! Now that that's off my chest i feel all better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
    deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed this game its in my top 5 this gen, well now with that aside there's problems with the AI as everyone has stated here but my one true grip about this game was the part where Ellie runs away on a horse and Joel with his bro have to rescue her. I found that segment to be useless, it's not till the end that you find out that that was just a set up for Joel and Ellie to become closer but it did feel pointless, almost to just add bad guys so people wouldn't get bored or something.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That said I have been keeping a mental list in my head of shit that was kinda irking my during the game. I'm using this mostly as a way to vent and put these minor negative thoughts behind me and not think about them again (as otherwise i ten to keep over analyzing a game):

• as Seppli mentioned it, the convoluted loot from dead enemies really stood out in a game where a lot of time is spent scavenging, people are shooting you all over the place yet during the game I would have been lucky to get ammo out of 1 guy in 10. tho i'm sure it has a bit to do with my playing on hard and mostly stealth strangling dudes, it still really annoyed me as an extremely artificial way to create ammo scarcity
    • traversal, while this might not stand out in another game, here where you are spending a lot of time just traversing the environment or finding ways around obstacles it really starts to irritate how videogamey all the ladder climbing and boosting is, there were so many many instances where I just could not believe why the feck would the characters just not do a simple physical thing and get past a small obstacle that instead required solving some simplistic "puzzle" to get around, ledges that Joel was head height with yet was invalid way to proceed creating an artificial barrier or a huge truck blocking the street that had half a meter open space underneath that you could climb under, but noooo

Yeah. First, in regards to the ammo scarcity + frequent enemy encounters; that particular design decision does not work unless your stealth mechanics are solid and mandatory combat is kept to absolute minimum. Last of Us stealth mechanics are thin and oddly retro as I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Traversal. This is very much a Naughty Dog issue across several of their games. You will solve this puzzle in the way we intended or you will encounter some mad jankyness around spots which look like they should be a feasible alternative way through. There is one instance in a, i think it was a hotel or maybe apartment building, you're on the lower level in knee deep water trying to get past a locked gate. Right in front of the gate is a pair of metal pipes running from the ground up through a hole in the ceiling. It looked to me as if climbing up those pipes to the ceiling hole should have been a feasible option. But no. Instead I wander around that level for a few minutes until the game pops up a hint prompt and tells me what to do (swim under water in the next room over). Well thanks, game. I really felt involved in the solution of that problem. -___-

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#123  Edited By hollitz

After clearing a zone of enemies, I walked through a door and exploded to death. Reloaded and walked through it again and nothing happened.

The story seems way too close to the film version of Children of Men and not nearly as effective in its telling. The gameplay is really impressing me, but I feel like the story has been done and isn't really hitting me so far. Maybe the final 1/3 will turn things around.

Loving the game. Even digging the multiplayer which is pretty goddamn rare for me.

bondfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@seppli: that pisses me off too, but i think what they were going for was that if you were getting shot at and went behind cover and was like "Oh shit, I'll make a bomb/medpack" that you would make it then use it right away. but none the less a dumb decision or should have a toggle option

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't want to read through the 3 pages of this thread, but I just wanted to say that the ending completely ruined the entire game for me. That ending was just horrible.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I don't want to read through the 3 pages of this thread, but I just wanted to say that the ending completely ruined the entire game for me. That ending was just horrible.

I've read it all, and I think you're the first to feel that way about the ending here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.