Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last Remnant

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 20, 2008

Last Remnant is a Square Enix-developed RPG with a new and unique combat system that invites the gamers to an exciting experience.

Damn is this game underrated

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Shadow

I'm well over halfway through the game (don't know how many hours because the game doesn't keep track of it) and it is so much better than I expected.  For the low price gamestop is selling it for, I thought I might as well give it a shot and I'm really glad I did.  When it originally came out, the game got bad scores because of severe slowdown and an even more severe tendency to freeze.  When you install the game to the system though, there is still a bit of slowdown in the bigger conflicts (50-ish characters on screen at once), but none outside of combat (which is turn-based so it doesn't really bug me when it does happen) and there have been zero freezes.  When you get past those otherwise crippling technical issues, you're left with what is probably the deepest combat system I've ever seen in a JRPG.  You can take or leave the story (it's pretty meh), but I'm continually amazed with the way you can build up so many different characters and use so many different strategies in battle.  Enough of this rant.  The point is, if you're looking for a good JRPG, check this one out.

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

I didn't like it. I didn't like the story, the characters, or the combat. I quickly forgot the entire game despite making it near the end and I didn't really enjoy any of it because the combat system never sucked me in and the characters weren't interesting. Don't let me stop people from checking it out, though, because that's not what I'm trying to do. I just didn't enjoy it.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Shadow
    @Dr_Feelgood38: 
    I'm also using a guide and doing every single sidequest in the game.  Those are arguably better executed than the story so it's probably influencing my opinion a lot.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By shirogane

I tried the demo, and it was quite bad. As a demo of course, mainly cause it essentially felt like i loaded up somebody's savegame in the middle. Started up, bam, go. Told me nothing, no tutorials, no dialogue/story sequence on where to go, anything. 

That said though, the battle system is somewhat unique and interesting. And from what my friend tells me, the game can get quite hard if you don't play it properlly, which i saw a bit of in the demo. Got completely owned by some sidequest boss or something.
    fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fugie7

iv been meaning to try this game, heard some mix reviews on the site and from people that played this game.  I haven't played the demo yet which i should, its just iv been so busy  with other games. Maybe when the slow months hit ill play it.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By oldschool

I bought mine months ago and one day, I will play it  ^-^

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Symphony

You're overlooking some major flaws -- the leader system on the 360 is entirely broken -- whats the point of the guilds and recruiting more when you can't even use all of the 6 main character leaders you start off with?! The equipment system is also busted -- you have to hope they ask you if they can use an item you happened to find or buy for them, you can't just equip it on them.. wth? Or you just have to hope you find the right drops from fights that they'll take to make themselves better gear... ugg. The combat options felt completely random (though some say they're not and they based on a ton of factors such as distance, party build, etc etc but even they admitted it took them countless hours to come to this conclusion) -- I'd have parties with healers that would never get heal commands or fighting parties that wouldn't have the option to use all of the characters skills even though I had tons of points stockpiled so they could use them... I lost long fights because of the inability to use a command that should have been readily available, which is super frustrating.

Agreed the plot is completely throw-away.. which is usually a major selling point of rpgs, though granted, not always. Even so, the main character was just so... so bad ><  

And yes many of the side-quests were well done, I found myself doing them all on the first disc... the second disc doesn't really have very many. It's just unfortunate that they never really yielded a worthwhile reward -- often times because of that leader system problem -- "Yay, I can recruit a new leader... that I will never use.... siiigh".

It's good to hear you got some enjoyment out of it, but I stand by my opinion that this game isn't just godawful, it's broken.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zityz

I felt it was a borefest half ass attempt at SE to say "HEY LOOK XBOX RPGSZ!" it's a mess of a game. 
    Crafting is pointless, screen pop/texture pop like mad. 
    Borring ass plot 
    The main character looks like he's a rejected Star Ocean Character droped into a Rejected 3d Final Fantasy:Tactics game 
    the equip menu is bleh 
    Combat is too cluttered with a shitty whip pan camera that leaves to wondering what the fuck is going on. Only reason you don't feel completely lost is the counter/ critical quick time event. 

I am glad you are enjoying it, at least your getting your money's worth out of it. For me however. it's not even good enough to be a coaster, because you have to look at the picture of The last reminant as you lift your drink you, reminding you how terrible it is. 

That's me though. I may also of had a jaded opinion on it due to the fact at the time I finished up Tales of Vesperia so...
    crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By crystalskull2

I played it on PC and it was the first JRPG that i played.

I enjoyed it quite a bit too until the ending pissed me off.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By pweidman

I played completely through Lost Remnant and also found the game to be fantastic, and very addicting.  The tech issues everyone cried about are all gone except pop-in once the game is loaded to the HDD.  The combat system works well, and you are forced to make choices in terms of leaders and dependent of the enemies you'll face, and the uber skills they have(for endgame especially).  The size of your 'army' was limited and seemed unfinished, i kept expecting an update to allow bigger groups but that never came.  Commands were a little random but for me they worked correctly 95% of the time.  Another cool thing tc, is that they put out some fantastic free additional content.  Those DL bosses were a blast and a really great grinding level and location is included.  The story was alright, not great at all,  but it really didn't matter much as the combat was super fun, and the environments were very memorable.  The main characters running animation was hysterical, but other than that he was fine by me.  Enjoy tc, a memorable game, and now prolly super cheap as well.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @pweidman: Indeed, I just bought my copy new around xmas for $17. Even if the game is completely bland and average it's at least worth that much imo.
    Foxdemon2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Foxdemon2k

I enjoyed the game quite a bit. I wouldn't say it's underrated though, because it's more a niche type of RPG:

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho

I been meaning to check out the PC version. Back when I was the kind of person who pretended something was amazing based on how obscure it was, I was all about Romancing Saga 3 and this is by the same people. They're like bizzaro Quest, all of their experiments tend to end in disaster.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By Icemael

No, it's not underrated. I would even say it's overrated, despite the negative reception. The combat is tedious as hell  -- the attack animations are so long it feels like I'm watching a cutscene every single turn, and a ton of stuff is random, stuff that pretty much all role-playing games give you control over -- the pop-in is terrible even if you install the game, and the story and characters are downright painful to watch. Every time the main character opens his mouth, I feel like throwing my controller at the screen.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Shadow
    @Foxdemon2k said:
    " I enjoyed the game quite a bit. I wouldn't say it's underrated though, because it's more a niche type of RPG: "
    I said it's underrated, not because it's so fantastic that I can't contain myself (clearly not the case), but because it's widely considered to be utter shit by people who haven't given it a chance.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By xyzygy
    @Shadow:
    I am totally with you. There are a lot of people who will tell you otherwise but I don't know, the game just has this certain feel and it was extremely underrated. Some people love it and some people hate it - I guess you just really have to be into RPGs to love it. I might get a reply from someone else telling me how bad it is *COUGHsymphonyCOUGH* but to be honest, I've heard it all before. I've heard about how things are broken, blah blah blah, it's unplayable, blah blah... well I've played it for hours upon hours and still find enjoyment out of it, and to me that means a game isn't broken or unplayable. Not every game can have an absolute perfect implementation of every system it has.   

I just find the battles are so tense and when you get to a great character you're hoping they do some insane damage and when they pull it off you're just like "MAN I love you!" Like for me, Torgal is definitely my best guy and when I get enough AP to use Cerulean Rain... Holy hell, watch out! I could honestly talk for ages about this game.

Oh, and for the record, the second disc is WAY longer than the first. Like, WAY WAY WAY longer. It's very pleasant. I did maybe half of all the sidequests and got around 60 hours logged (My guesstimate, it could be more. I just know that it was not lower than 60). My next playthrough is going for the insane achievements, so I will have to do all the sidequests.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

yeah i've heard good things specially if you install it to the hard drive and most all the issues just disapear.
    Its too bad square didn't make the game better so installing it to the hard drive wasn't a requirement.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By PureRok

I bought it when it came out, played it once, and never played it again. I traded it with someone for a far superior game that I can't remember.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Shadow said:
    " I'm well over halfway through the game (don't know how many hours because the game doesn't keep track of it) and it is so much better than I expected.  For the low price gamestop is selling it for, I thought I might as well give it a shot and I'm really glad I did.  When it originally came out, the game got bad scores because of severe slowdown and an even more severe tendency to freeze.  When you install the game to the system though, there is still a bit of slowdown in the bigger conflicts (50-ish characters on screen at once), but none outside of combat (which is turn-based so it doesn't really bug me when it does happen) and there have been zero freezes.  When you get past those otherwise crippling technical issues, you're left with what is probably the deepest combat system I've ever seen in a JRPG.  You can take or leave the story (it's pretty meh), but I'm continually amazed with the way you can build up so many different characters and use so many different strategies in battle.  Enough of this rant.  The point is, if you're looking for a good JRPG, check this one out. "
    Are you kidding? It's overrated if anything. I hate the leveling system. You basically have to avoid combat as much as possible to be able to survive the later parts of the game. That system is just ridiculous. If the leveling system was "normal" I wouldn't hate it so much. But yeah, I heard if you grind guys early on the game will be pretty much unfinishable towards the end due to how the progression works. Lame city.
    Noxpectius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Noxpectius

I bought it when it originally came out, played for a few hours, wasnt really impressed, and never went back to it. That and Lost Odyssey are the two games I've Always wanted to go back to.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By 71Ranchero

I think its great as well. I have the pc version.

Ashwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ashwyn

Honestly i haven't Played Last Remnant, however i felt the exact same way about Infinite Undiscovery.
    Don't know why but i didn't think it was THAT bad.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Shadow
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @Shadow said:
    " I'm well over halfway through the game (don't know how many hours because the game doesn't keep track of it) and it is so much better than I expected.  For the low price gamestop is selling it for, I thought I might as well give it a shot and I'm really glad I did.  When it originally came out, the game got bad scores because of severe slowdown and an even more severe tendency to freeze.  When you install the game to the system though, there is still a bit of slowdown in the bigger conflicts (50-ish characters on screen at once), but none outside of combat (which is turn-based so it doesn't really bug me when it does happen) and there have been zero freezes.  When you get past those otherwise crippling technical issues, you're left with what is probably the deepest combat system I've ever seen in a JRPG.  You can take or leave the story (it's pretty meh), but I'm continually amazed with the way you can build up so many different characters and use so many different strategies in battle.  Enough of this rant.  The point is, if you're looking for a good JRPG, check this one out. "
    Are you kidding? It's overrated if anything. I hate the leveling system. You basically have to avoid combat as much as possible to be able to survive the later parts of the game. That system is just ridiculous. If the leveling system was "normal" I wouldn't hate it so much. But yeah, I heard if you grind guys early on the game will be pretty much unfinishable towards the end due to how the progression works. Lame city. "
    spoken as someone who has no idea what those later parts of the game are actually like
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MikkaQ

Eh it was alright, the combat had some neat ideas (though I wouldn't call it the deepest by a long shot), but the story and setting were pretty forgettable, and I didn't like the protagonist enough to keep going.  

The technical issues were the biggest turn-off. I have a pretty high threshold for these sorts of things, but this game was kinda ridiculous, even after installing (which I just don't have any room for, now.)

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Shadow said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @Shadow said:
    Are you kidding? It's overrated if anything. I hate the leveling system. You basically have to avoid combat as much as possible to be able to survive the later parts of the game. That system is just ridiculous. If the leveling system was "normal" I wouldn't hate it so much. But yeah, I heard if you grind guys early on the game will be pretty much unfinishable towards the end due to how the progression works. Lame city. "
    spoken as someone who has no idea what those later parts of the game are actually like "
    Uh... yeah. I thought I made that clear. By the way according to you, you don't know what those part are like either. You'd better hope you haven't been fighting too much or you could find yourself in a tricky pickle.
    essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By essaregee

I had the game and I played it for quite a while intil my x360 broke, so I got it for the PC and haven't touched it since.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shadow
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " tricky pickle. "
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Evilsbane

RPG with no story? Nooooo thank youz

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pause422

Nah I feel confident in saying that game was pretty bad.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ryanwho
    @Evilsbane said:
    " RPG with no story? Nooooo thank youz "
    Are you kidding? The story in most RPGs is a joke already. Is that really what drove you forward in, say, Oblivion? Wow.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Evilsbane
    @ryanwho said:
    " @Evilsbane said:
    Are you kidding? The story in most RPGs is a joke already. Is that really what drove you forward in, say, Oblivion? Wow. "
    What the fuck are you talking about? Sorry that you find the stories in RPG's so awful but yes I play games for the story regardless of genre, And yes Oblivion had some awesome quest lines Did you even play the Dark Brotherhood quest line? That was fantastic, and Mass Effect had an awesome story, Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate, System Shock 2(More FPS but heavy RPG elements) and many many more so you can take your "Most RPG's have a joke story" and shove it.
    Foxdemon2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Foxdemon2k
    @Shadow:  Well, I was just stating my opinion. The game is also regarded as shit by most people because it has technical problems, and compared to other good RPGs it just doesn't measure up.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Shadow
    @Evilsbane said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " @Evilsbane said:
    Are you kidding? The story in most RPGs is a joke already. Is that really what drove you forward in, say, Oblivion? Wow. "
    What the fuck are you talking about? Sorry that you find the stories in RPG's so awful but yes I play games for the story regardless of genre, And yes Oblivion had some awesome quest lines Did you even play the Dark Brotherhood quest line? That was fantastic, and Mass Effect had an awesome story, Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate, System Shock 2(More FPS but heavy RPG elements) and many many more so you can take your "Most RPG's have a joke story" and shove it. "

The point is, the main quest was mediocre at best in Oblivion.  The real draw for nerrative is the sidequests.  That's the same case here.  And most RPGs do have a sub-par story mainly because they have to be stretched out for so many hours compared to something more compact like you see in other games.  Bioshock comes to mind here.  The first 2/3 of that story are amazing and mind blowing.  It's only when they padded out the story to make the game longer, that the game inevitably suffered for it.  The one thing that I can say about the story in this game that I can't about most is that the main enemy is legitimately terrifying (to me at least). 
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34  Edited By Geno

The performance issues can be attributed to its poor optimization. I ran the benchmark and from the performance and GPU usage numbers it's actually worse than Crysis when it was first launched in terms of optimization. I can't speak for the quality of the game but I have a hard time standing for one with a lot of technical issues.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Shadow
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @Shadow said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @Shadow said:
    spoken as someone who has no idea what those later parts of the game are actually like "
    Uh... yeah. I thought I made that clear. By the way according to you, you don't know what those part are like either. You'd better hope you haven't been fighting too much or you could find yourself in a tricky pickle. "
    Having just beaten the game and thousand pointed it, I was in no type of pickle, let alone a tricky one as I beat the last boss after a few tries, having gone through the game fighting pretty much whoever and whenever I wanted to.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Shadow: Good job. I'm still not convinced.
    mrmanga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mrmanga

I recently bought it on Steam since it was on sale. However when i try to run it the framerate goes way down and it demands the use of a 360 controller since all the buttons in the menus and in game are fited to the 360 controller. 

My computer can run Crysis on full almost without lag and framerate issues... so i dont know why this game just doesnt want to work properly with me.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By c1337us

I have almost bought this game several times. It often comes up on special and easy to find cheap, but I know I'll never play it and ultimately that and poor reviews stop me from buying it.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By turbomonkey138

Its incredibly difficult and long . I imagine that out a few people off playing it .

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By L33tfella_H

I've been playing the PC version recently.

I can see why it got low review scores, The Technical issues still sorta plague the PC version, even though i have all 10GB installed on my HDD :<, but i like it, for a combat system where you have EVEN LESS control than most JRPGs, it's oddly appealing to just watch how the fights unfold as you pick your commands. The story is cornball, which isn't suprising, but it's enough to push me to try and finish it. The whole 'squad' gameplay is kind of cool, gives me sort of a Suikoden vibe, although not exactly.

It's not a very great game, but it's got some appeal, if you can get it for 25$ or less and you can tolerate the new mechanics it's trying to teach you, it's an alright experience.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41  Edited By veektarius

I got a lot of mileage out of Last Remnant myself, but quit the game somewhere late on when I discovered that I wouldn't be getting any more party members.  I'd been playing the whole game switching characters in and out so that when the time came, I could have five full squads of leveled named characters and when all that turned out to be a waste, that was a problem to me.  I won't play it again because of the randomness, the most annoying thing being the summons, which made a gigantic difference and yet couldn't be relied upon to appear even in some difficult fights.  The game also could have stood to better explain some of its powerful mechanics like Blackout.  And who the hell designed those frog characters?  So annoying to look at/listen to/have nightmares about.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.