Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Nov 22, 2013

The first original The Legend of Zelda game on the Nintendo 3DS and also a direct sequel to The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past set six generations after.

i love that you can pass some items by

DCam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Brad didn't have the sprint shoes in the Quick Look, even though he was doing his second Lorule dungeon. I'm at the same place, but the shoes are one of the first things I got.

Patrick mentioned that he completed the game without the net. Again, this was one of the first things I picked up, and I need it so I can bottle fairies. (I am apparently not as good at boss battles as some.)

I have completed two Lorule Dungeons, but I haven't found the trigger for the Maimais or the second tier of gloves.

This is something I really like about Link Between Worlds' design, and if I remember correctly Link to the Past's as well. There are some things that you don't have to get, but if you explore there are effective and relevant rewards.

Earlier this afternoon I started to search for a hint of where to start the Maimai collection, but after seeing a fragment of a clue for a bottle I haven't found yet, I stopped. I realized I was spoiling the thing I like about Zelda the most!

I remember the first time playing through Link to the Past I spent a day trying to figure out how to get that book or vase off of the top of the bookshelf. I swear I had tried the boots at least once!

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Aegon

Patrick went through the game without any fairies? Damn.

To be honest I don't like that you can pass Gully's pouch / the X button. I looked that shit up because I was tired of switching items out (especially in dungeons with dark levels). With the pouch, things were much easier. Tornado and Fire rod combo rocks.

schreiberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I finished the game without the pegasus boots. I kept thinking the game would give them to me eventually or force me to find them but it never did.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I finished the game without the pegasus boots. I kept thinking the game would give them to me eventually or force me to find them but it never did.

Same. I also never found the net either. You CAN buy fairies at one of the shops, though, if you have an empty bottle.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@dcam: More power to you, I guess, but I don't know how you don't find it frustrating that you've missed the trigger for the Maiamais. Frankly, I think you should be able to find them before finding Mother Maiamai, since you still have to find her to be able to turn them in. The fact that they literally don't exist in the game world until you speak with her is kind of dumb. Sure, you have to backtrack for a bunch of them anyway, but still, given how far you are in the game, you could easily have like 20-40 of them without even trying very hard had you already encounter Mother Maiamai.

@bbalpert said:

@schreiberty said:

Same. I also never found the net either. You CAN buy fairies at one of the shops, though, if you have an empty bottle.

By the time I finished my second Lorule dungeon, I realized "OK, I don't think they're going to design a dungeon around the boots, so they're probably hidden in the overworld somewhere and I should probably already have them. Fuck this" and then I looked it up. Zero regrets, because yeah, I never would've got the boots on my own. I had already convinced myself that the thing that gives you the boots instead required the boots, so I was intentionally not ever reexamining it, thinking "I'll try that again when I have the boots".

I think the part where the net is optional is fine (because you don't need fairies, you can do just fine buying red potions off the witch, and the occasional blue potion). Also, I'm actually fine with all the optional items hidden in Lorule dungeons being optional, EXCEPT the mitt, because if you can't pick up heavy-ass rocks, you miss out on like a ZILLION collectables. Similarly, the boots being optional also robs you of ZILLIONS of collectables. Similarly, missing Gulley's bag must suck a lot, and I hadn't even considered that that was possible.

It's throwback game design, and if you're the sort of person that was going to play it multiple times anyway it's fine, but I think it's kind of a bummer that some people will finish the game and never be able to dash into stuff or pick up heavy shit.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

Interesting. I feel completely the opposite way. I feel every single dark castle I go to, there's some item I'm missing in order to even enter it, and if I do, I end up feeling I can't progress through it without some other item. It's like, why give me the option of 7-some castles when I have to do them in some obscure order anyway?

pick up heavy shit.

^Hmm... Isn't that required in order to enter some of the dungeons? What am I missing?

Throwback game design is certainly what it is...

I started having more fun with the game when I got the upgraded boomerang. But also less fun because now I can buy items which means I'm going to need to grind for rupees to buy all of them, because I'm really tired with going really far and then being like "NOPE need another item to progress go back to your house, lend it, and come back!" - it's just something that annoys me and doesn't need to be there.

I also don't see the big deal about getting the thing that lets you use two items: I just got that one. Not a game changer for me - probably depends on what your game style is. Would've been fine going through the game without it. It's just a convenient thing you get if you explore a bit. I don't see a need to bottle fairies just yet, even though some bosses make me feel like I'm playing dark souls (like the hand smashing the floor making you both get hurt by the smash and falling). ... didn't know you could bottle them. Hopefully they respawn because I've kind of just been walking up to them even though I've been at full health, and have both the bottle and the net.

So just a question: the guy who runs really quickly...
    Do I:

• Get the boots from catching him
    • Or do I require the boots in order to catch him?

embryonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By embryonic

@xymox: You don't really "catch him" per se. The solution doesn't require the boots, though and yes, you do get the boots from him.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@xymox: To catch the guy with the boots, you gotta be a ninja.

DCam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dcam: More power to you, I guess, but I don't know how you don't find it frustrating that you've missed the trigger for the Maiamais. Frankly, I think you should be able to find them before finding Mother Maiamai, since you still have to find her to be able to turn them in. The fact that they literally don't exist in the game world until you speak with her is kind of dumb. Sure, you have to backtrack for a bunch of them anyway, but still, given how far you are in the game, you could easily have like 20-40 of them without even trying very hard had you already encounter Mother Maiamai.

@bbalpert said:

@schreiberty said:

By the time I finished my second Lorule dungeon, I realized "OK, I don't think they're going to design a dungeon around the boots, so they're probably hidden in the overworld somewhere and I should probably already have them. Fuck this" and then I looked it up. Zero regrets, because yeah, I never would've got the boots on my own. I had already convinced myself that the thing that gives you the boots instead required the boots, so I was intentionally not ever reexamining it, thinking "I'll try that again when I have the boots".

I think the part where the net is optional is fine (because you don't need fairies, you can do just fine buying red potions off the witch, and the occasional blue potion). Also, I'm actually fine with all the optional items hidden in Lorule dungeons being optional, EXCEPT the mitt, because if you can't pick up heavy-ass rocks, you miss out on like a ZILLION collectables. Similarly, the boots being optional also robs you of ZILLIONS of collectables. Similarly, missing Gulley's bag must suck a lot, and I hadn't even considered that that was possible.

It's throwback game design, and if you're the sort of person that was going to play it multiple times anyway it's fine, but I think it's kind of a bummer that some people will finish the game and never be able to dash into stuff or pick up heavy shit.

That seems like the trap of this design: It's easy to think "no, I've already done that." I found Mother Maiamai this morning. She was in a cave that I knew I had bombed the entrance to, but I think I did it so early that she didn't tell me her whole story. Going past the cave later I just passed it by because I had already been there.

Finally decided to try it again because I knew she was out there somewhere. But if I hadn't known, would I have tried again?

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Dallas_Raines

I didn't get the boots until the very end, but I found the Maiamai Mother as soon as you can. I don't get the trouble some have with rupees, though, I was able to buy most of the weapons pretty soon after unlocking that option.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

I did miss the boots and mother Maimai til i was at the end of the game and as frustrating as i found that to be- especially since you need one to 100% the other- i still prefer it to how every Zelda game has handled it in the last 15 years. If they had populated the world with the Maimai children regardless of whether you found their mother, that would have made it easier to handle.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xymox: For what it's worth, the hand smashing boss felt like the hardest boss in all of Lorule to me. His attack pattern is relentless, and you can only hide in the wall for so long, and yeah, the messing up the stage bit is troublesome. Through sheer chance his dungeon happened to be the last one I tried, and I'm glad it was, because I had all sorts of sword upgrades and hearts and damage reduction and fairies/blue potions (not that I needed all of that, but certainly a lot of it came in handy).

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

@xymox: To catch the guy with the boots, you gotta be a ninja.

@xymox: You don't really "catch him" per se. The solution doesn't require the boots, though and yes, you do get the boots from him.

Aha, I see. Thanks. Think this gives me an idea.

@xymox: For what it's worth, the hand smashing boss felt like the hardest boss in all of Lorule to me. His attack pattern is relentless, and you can only hide in the wall for so long, and yeah, the messing up the stage bit is troublesome. Through sheer chance his dungeon happened to be the last one I tried, and I'm glad it was, because I had all sorts of sword upgrades and hearts and damage reduction and fairies/blue potions (not that I needed all of that, but certainly a lot of it came in handy).

I think it's the first or second one I did, so that feels kinda nice knowing that one of the harder one's are done.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bottled Faeries aren't useful in this game, I had to get bottled potions to beat the last boss, the faeries just didn't cut it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xalienxgreyx said:

Bottled Faeries aren't useful in this game, I had to get bottled potions to beat the last boss, the faeries just didn't cut it.

I dunno, if you have 4-5 bottled fairies, that's a fair number of hearts.

But sure, the main advantage of fairies is that you can find them freely in random caves, because their healing isn't that great. Red and blue potions are recommended for whatever the challenge tower is called.

TheMathlete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@bisonhero: I did skull woods first, with the hand smashing boss. It wasn't too bad, but I did almost die.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BisonHero

@themathlete: Tell me what you think, but the rest of the Lorule bosses had attacks that were either trivial to dodge, or they got in one or two hits but nothing close to serious damage. The hand smashing boss was just whomping me constantly.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: You actually HAVE to get the Titan Mitt to finish the Desert Palace. Just throwing that out there :)

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BisonHero

@planetfunksquad: Ah, do you? Yeah, I guess you pick up a boulder blocking a door or something. Still, a bunch of them are optional and somewhat hidden, like the different tunics, the better shield, etc.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Oh yeah, you can miss out on a lot of that stuff pretty easily, unless you're like me and get super OCD about talking to every NPC and searching out every cave and chest.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@xalienxgreyx said:

I dunno, if you have 4-5 bottled fairies, that's a fair number of hearts.

But sure, the main advantage of fairies is that you can find them freely in random caves, because their healing isn't that great. Red and blue potions are recommended for whatever the challenge tower is called.

I didn't find the Treacherous Tower that bad. I think on my first try for the advanced course I used two fairies (and one of them was in the tower). Although I did have blue armor, 5 bottles, max master sword, and final maimai upgrade.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.