Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 21, 1991

The third installment in the Zelda series makes a return to the top-down 2D gameplay of the original. Link must travel between the Light and Dark Worlds in order to set things right in the kingdom of Hyrule.

A Randomized Link to the Past - Episode VII: Please, God, No: The Zealand Kilt Theft

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

Edited By Mento  Moderator
    No Caption Provided

"Oh boy, Mondays." That's probably what's running through Garflink's head right now as he stands at the precipice of Turtle Rock: the penultimate The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past dungeon and the only one that shares its name with a track from the TMNT movie soundtrack. That's right, it's time for the seventh episode of this Garfield-themed randomizer playthrough. Be sure to walk, don't run, to see how it all began here if you're just joining us.

Pulling ourselves out of a concerning tailspin, we left off last week in a cheerier mood by acquiring the Titan's Mitt and the Fire Rod, which means at least two more dungeons can be completed in addition to access to a gaggle of overworld sources. That's not to say that the playthrough can't go south again, as it well might if we don't find the Zora Flippers soon, but I'm optimistic. Helps that I'm writing this intro after already experiencing all the below, huh? It's easy to be optimistic when you can see the future, after all.

Literally the first chest I open in Turtle Rock shoves the Zora Flippers into my inventory. I was so shocked I neglected to take a screenshot in time.
    Literally the first chest I open in Turtle Rock shoves the Zora Flippers into my inventory. I was so shocked I neglected to take a screenshot in time.

Side-Note: The Zora Flippers allow Link to swim in deeper waters, and are usually bought from the Zora King for an exorbitant price. It's worth any cost, though, as not only are they required to access two dungeons but there's a lot of overworld that can only be reached through swimming. Of all the remaining items, the Flippers were easily the most vital to completing this run. I can now access every dungeon in the game! Well, bar the Misery Mire, which still needs a Quake Medallion.

I mean, he is planning to eat it and not swim in it, right?
    I mean, he is planning to eat it and not swim in it, right?
    The Flippers were certainily more exciting than the big chest, which only had rupees (no excuses for missing the screengrab for this one).
    The Flippers were certainily more exciting than the big chest, which only had rupees (no excuses for missing the screengrab for this one).
    I remember to take a brief detour here, as halfway through Turtle Rock is the only time you can access this particular cave in Death Mountain.
    I remember to take a brief detour here, as halfway through Turtle Rock is the only time you can access this particular cave in Death Mountain.
    Well, I mean every heart piece counts, but maybe not worth coming all this way? I'm kinda compelled by my OCD to get them all regardless I suppose.
    Well, I mean every heart piece counts, but maybe not worth coming all this way? I'm kinda compelled by my OCD to get them all regardless I suppose.
    I call this room the Tunnel of Ouchies. I think the Mirror Shield is supposed to block these eye lasers long enough to grab the chests, but I didn't have one of those. I do have a lot of health and an obstinate nature, however. Worth it in the end for the 1/2 magic buff.
    I call this room the Tunnel of Ouchies. I think the Mirror Shield is supposed to block these eye lasers long enough to grab the chests, but I didn't have one of those. I do have a lot of health and an obstinate nature, however. Worth it in the end for the 1/2 magic buff.

Side-Note: One of the unspoken heroes of Garflink's arsenal, the half-magic ability means that every magic-using item I have - the Lantern, the Fire Rod, the Canes, etc. - now requires half as much magic to use. It's a vital upgrade to get early if, oh hypothetically speaking here, you started with a magical weapon instead of a sword. Figures I'd get it in Turtle Rock, hours after it might've been really useful. At any rate, I believe there might be another one out there for quarter-magic. (As for how you'd normally get half-magic, I'll be showing that off a little later.)

Ah. Something that only occurred to me after walking into Trinexx's lair: you need the Fire Rod and the Ice Rod for this guy. There might be a way to cheese the fire head with a different item, but I ate it pretty quick and that seemed like the time for a hasty retreat. I'll be back real soon, mister.
    Ah. Something that only occurred to me after walking into Trinexx's lair: you need the Fire Rod and the Ice Rod for this guy. There might be a way to cheese the fire head with a different item, but I ate it pretty quick and that seemed like the time for a hasty retreat. I'll be back real soon, mister.
    So yeah, while there was more I could do with the Titan's Mitt, my new acquisition has me all giddy for the possibilities it allows. First up: visiting the fairy fountain behind this waterfall.
    So yeah, while there was more I could do with the Titan's Mitt, my new acquisition has me all giddy for the possibilities it allows. First up: visiting the fairy fountain behind this waterfall.
    The randomizer kind of breaks kayfabe here with its handling of the Fairy Fountains. The upgraded items are part of the randomizer pool, but it doesn't expect you to throw your boomerang away to get some rupees or a heart piece or whatever comes out the other side, so instead you just get these two chests. They effectively replace the Magic Boomerang upgrade and the Shield upgrade.
    The randomizer kind of breaks kayfabe here with its handling of the Fairy Fountains. The upgraded items are part of the randomizer pool, but it doesn't expect you to throw your boomerang away to get some rupees or a heart piece or whatever comes out the other side, so instead you just get these two chests. They effectively replace the Magic Boomerang upgrade and the Shield upgrade.
    Hey, a third bottle. That's worth the trip. I'm not sure I care that these loose bottles always seem to have green potion, the least useful type.
    Hey, a third bottle. That's worth the trip. I'm not sure I care that these loose bottles always seem to have green potion, the least useful type.
    Speaking of bottles, while the Fairy won't upgrade items for you she will still perform her secondary role of giving you free refills of valuable blue potion (replenishes both magic and hearts). If I wasn't drowning in rupees, I might keep that in mind.
    Speaking of bottles, while the Fairy won't upgrade items for you she will still perform her secondary role of giving you free refills of valuable blue potion (replenishes both magic and hearts). If I wasn't drowning in rupees, I might keep that in mind.
    Before I'm done up here in Zora land, I'll grab this full heart container I spotted on the way to the Zora King. Couldn't reach it before finding the Flippers.
    Before I'm done up here in Zora land, I'll grab this full heart container I spotted on the way to the Zora King. Couldn't reach it before finding the Flippers.
    The hobo under the bridge is where you'd normally find a bottle, but all he has for me is a stack of cash. An odd thing to receive from an itinerant.
    The hobo under the bridge is where you'd normally find a bottle, but all he has for me is a stack of cash. An odd thing to receive from an itinerant.
    Ah, my plans to toss in a thousand rupees for a dozen items to replace the normal bomb-bag and quiver upgrades is dashed. Unlike the other fairy fountains, there's nothing whatsoever to be gained from Venus's pond in the middle of Lake Hyrule.
    Ah, my plans to toss in a thousand rupees for a dozen items to replace the normal bomb-bag and quiver upgrades is dashed. Unlike the other fairy fountains, there's nothing whatsoever to be gained from Venus's pond in the middle of Lake Hyrule.
    But hey, while I'm still here, let's take on that Ice Palace dungeon.
    But hey, while I'm still here, let's take on that Ice Palace dungeon.
    It'd be a bit on the nose to find the Ice Rod here, but who can say?
    It'd be a bit on the nose to find the Ice Rod here, but who can say?
    I have to be getting close to maxing out the quiver by now.
    I have to be getting close to maxing out the quiver by now.
    Rats.
    Rats.
    And more rats. All the non-dungeon item chests in the Ice Palace have been duds, alas. All that's left is the boss.
    And more rats. All the non-dungeon item chests in the Ice Palace have been duds, alas. All that's left is the boss.
    Kholdstare is annoyingly immune to the bow, which usually works wonders against bosses with gigantic eyes. He's not a particularly difficult boss, however, if you have the Fire Rod and a strong sword.
    Kholdstare is annoyingly immune to the bow, which usually works wonders against bosses with gigantic eyes. He's not a particularly difficult boss, however, if you have the Fire Rod and a strong sword.
    Wow, it's a good thing I didn't need this key elsewhere. Maybe Kholdstare has a Porsche parked outside...?
    Wow, it's a good thing I didn't need this key elsewhere. Maybe Kholdstare has a Porsche parked outside...?
    And there's also the fifth crystal, let's not forget that. Unlike most of the crystals and pendants in the game, this one wasn't randomized.
    And there's also the fifth crystal, let's not forget that. Unlike most of the crystals and pendants in the game, this one wasn't randomized.
    No Caption Provided

A finished dungeon is always a good place to stop, so let's summarize this episode's progress:

• We have the Zora Flippers! We've already accessed most of the Flipper-required areas of the game in this episode, at least the ones with potentially useful items, but there's still the Swamp Palace dungeon to go.
    • Other valuable acquisitions this episode: Half-Magic, which is less useful now with the Silver Arrows and Tempered Sword doing most of the heavy lifting, but still appreciated; a new heart container and another piece towards the next; a new bottle; and another quiver upgrade.
    • We might as well skip the traditional Dungeon Check-in. We only have five of them left, and only two of those have anything for us right now: the Swamp Palace and Skull Woods. Turtle Rock is on hold until we can defeat Twinexx, and both Misery Mire and Ganon's Tower are locked up tight.
    • How about we review what items we still need, instead?
    1. Of the "absolutely require"s: The Ice Rod, to defeat Twinexx; and the Quake Medallion, to enter Memory Mire.
    2. The "This could be helpful"s: The final sword, armor and shield upgrades (the Golden Sword, Red Tunic and Mirror Shield, respectively). The last bottle. The Magic Powder, which is valuable for turning anti-fairies into fairies for when I need a quick pick-me-up in dungeons. The Book of Mudora can still net me another two items from the Medallion tablets, if not the Medallions themselves. The Shovel can get me two items too, and one each from the Mushroom and the Cape.
    3. I don't actually need the Ether Medallion or Magic Boomerang for anything, but they might be nice to have anyway. Ditto for the Quarter-Magic upgrade, the other bomb-bag/quiver upgrades, and any of the remaining heart pieces/containers.

Next Time, on A Randomized Link to the Past: There's the second half of Skull Woods left to wrap up and all of Swamp Palace to explore, so we still have a number of opportunities for new gear. I should probably resolve the Blacksmith and locked chest quests as well. Dang, there's not a whole lot of game left...

Episode I: Lasagna Kitten: The Fell Depth Oozed
    Episode II: Pasta Fiend Tale: Hell-Zonked Ghetto
    Episode III: Lazed Feline Goal: Pet the Dank Thots!
    Episode IV: Odie the Dog: Last Theft? Kennel Plaza!
    Episode V: Egad!, PhD: Little Fez Hat on a Skeleton
    Episode VI: To Fat Knight Zone: Help Delete Salad
    Episode VII: Please, God, No: The Zealand Kilt Theft <- You Are Here
    Episode VIII: TalkFleet: An Elephant-Sized Hotdog
    Episode IX: The Fattened Ilk: A Gonzo Death Spell
    Episode X: Old Hazing Poll: Taste the Naked Feet
    Episode Ys: Fleshpot Glitz: Needed a Tenth Koala
    Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By generic_username

This is really looking good for an actual completion. Love these, keep up the good work.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.