Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 21, 1991

The third installment in the Zelda series makes a return to the top-down 2D gameplay of the original. Link must travel between the Light and Dark Worlds in order to set things right in the kingdom of Hyrule.

Maybe a dumb question. Help

Avatar image for smashed_pumpkins
    smashed_pumpkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

Hello friends.

I own a Wii U and want to play the Virtual Console release of A Link to the Past. I never owned a Wii, so I do not own any of the peripherals. Also I tried to google this, but a search term with both WII and Wii U in it is kind of pointless.

What controller/wiimote/etc would I need to buy to make this happen. Sorry if this is a stupid question. As somebody who never owned a Wii, I am not too familiar with the hardware compatibility.

I get the impression that a Wiimote would work, but I want to check before I buy.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By alanm26v5

I was going to say you'll need a Wii Remote and a classic controller attachment, but maybe the Wii U Pro controller would work. I'm not really sure, and I even own a Wii U. if you look on the eShop though, they're pretty explicit about what controllers you need.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

That's a bit though, I'm not sure if a regular Wiimote has enough buttons, and if it did it would be comfortable to play with one. I also don't recall if SNES games support a Wiimote + nunchuck setup, don't think it did (in either case the supported controller setups should be listed before you purchase the game). When playing VC games on my Wii I used either a Gamecube controller (which the WiiU doesn't support) or a classic controller hooked up to a Wiimote.

Getting a Wiimote and a classic controller seems a bit cumbersome, and I'm not sure if a WiiU Pro controller works in Wii Mode.

Unless you really want to play the game right now I'd advise you to hold off until it's released on the WiiU Virtual Console.

smashed_pumpkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alanm26v5:

I can't access Wii mode to get to the Wii eShop with the Wii U gamepad. You pointed me in the right direction. This link (pun) says that Gamecube controllers, Wii Remotes and the Classic controller support this game on the Wii. I'm not sure about the Gamecube controller but the other 2 are supported on WiiU. Do I need both?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@alanm26v5:

I can't access Wii mode to get to the Wii eShop with the Wii U gamepad. You pointed me in the right direction. This link (pun) says that Gamecube controllers, Wii Remotes and the Classic controller support this game on the Wii. I'm not sure about the Gamecube controller but the other 2 are supported on WiiU. Do I need both?

The Wii Classic Controller is designed to function by connecting to a Wii Remote. You'll need both in order to use a Classic Controller.

smashed_pumpkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the help everyone

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Once they finally put A Link to the Past on the Wii U shop you should be able to upgrade the Wii version to the Wii U version. You can do this with games you own on the Wii emulator, like Super Metroid, but it'll cost you $1.50 or so. Haven't done this myself yet, but I imagine you'll be able to use the Wii U game pad to play SNES games then. I picked up ALTTP from the Club Nintendo promotion, mostly just to have it for when my SNES cart will eventually die. Nintendo will one day get their act together and be better at tying together digital purchases over multiple devices...

That's my hope, anyway.

smashed_pumpkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By smashed_pumpkins

With the imminent release of the new 3DS Zelda game, I was really hoping they would announce A Link to the Past for WiiU VC today. Sadly, It did not happen.

On a side note I was suprised to hear that US Club Nintendo gets games as a possible reward. Not in the UK. I have 10k+ stars. Only things I have considered are a Wii points card, a Game and Watch game collection or the Super Mario Galaxy soundtrack

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@smashed_pumpkins: I know, seems like a no-brainer to put that out on the WiiU or even 3DS eShop. I would totally buy that. They did put some Zelda games on sale though, but not for the Wii.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.