Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 03, 2017

The first HD installment of the Zelda series developed for the Wii U and Nintendo Switch that returns to the open-world design of the original NES title, with a focus on free exploration of a large scale environment as well as dangerous enemies.

Breath of the Wild Deserves the Hype

Ashrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Ashrak
    No Caption Provided

I feel I often disagree with the popular consensus on video games. I think Uncharted 4 is a narrative wreck, I can't stand Skyrim for more than a couple of hours, and I thought Gears of War 4 was a good time. Every so often, though, I have no choice but to agree. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a masterpiece.

Don't get me started on Eventide Island.
    Don't get me started on Eventide Island.

I went into it really thinking it was going to be overblown hype, but now I can't stop talking about it to everyone I know. Once you get past the learning-intensive opening area and descend upon the greater Hyrule, the game shows its true form. A whole world awaiting your curiosity, and willing to reward it. Almost every single time I've thought to myself "I wonder if I can do that..." I have. Toss a metallic spear into an enemy camp to attract lightning during a storm, check. Snowboard on a shield to descend a mountain to quickly win a race, check. Climb to the top of a volcano, check. Cook food just by tossing it on said volcano, check. It's just smart, and the team at Nintendo seemingly thought of everything.

Even the towns feel lively, with characters that have connections to and acknowledge each other. The people living in towns all feel like they have a life outside of Link, and it makes doing side quests all the more compelling. We all hate fetch quests, but Breath of the Wild makes you want to do them. To help these people out; your neighbors of Hyrule. I usually get irritated when write-ups say something about how they just watch the sunrise in a game or something, it often feels pretentious and forced. Well, I am prepared to eat crow, because I frequently just walk around Hateno Village in casual gear to simply exist in this world.

Even the story is compelling.
    Even the story is compelling.

I could go on and on about so many things in this game. That you have to prepare yourself for adventures depending on the environment, that the shrines are always clever and a beautiful way to condense dungeon puzzles into bite-sized excitement, or that the degradation of your combat items makes sure you'll always be on your toes. This isn't what I want to write about, however. This isn't a review, per se. This is a lapsed Zelda fan being sad he ever walked away, and being excited every time I get to turn on my Switch. I hate when an article talks about how a game changed them, but now I get it. Breath of the Wild has changed me. It's changed what I'll expect from games, it's made me realize I used to have even the slightest optimism in this world, and it has genuinely made me a happier person. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is not only one of the best games I have ever played, it is also one of my favorite games I have ever played. Can't wait for Nintendo to fuck up the sequel.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.