Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 03, 2017

The first HD installment of the Zelda series developed for the Wii U and Nintendo Switch that returns to the open-world design of the original NES title, with a focus on free exploration of a large scale environment as well as dangerous enemies.

Breath Of The Wild "Hard Run" (Pro HUD, Three Hearts, No Divine Beasts)

Avatar image for octopusrocketmark
    Octopusrocketmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Octopusrocketmark

With 150+ hours put into BOTW, I felt the need to shake things up with a clean restart this weekend. (I know what you're thinking, why not just play a different game? To which I say, "Hey, shut up guy!") I began my custom "hard mode" run with the rules stated in the thread title. I'm really, really enjoying it so far. Most crucially, I now feel the need to master the combat system because relying on excess hearts and divine beast powers is no longer an option. It also puts an emphasis on stealth, and forces me to make more strategic decisions. Has anyone else tried something similar?

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Zirilius

@octopusrocketmark said:

With 150+ hours put into BOTW, I felt the need to shake things up with a clean restart this weekend. (I know what you're thinking, why not just play a different game? To which I say, "Hey, shut up guy!") I began my custom "hard mode" run with the rules stated in the thread title. I'm really, really enjoying it so far. Most crucially, I now feel the need to master the combat system because relying on excess hearts and divine beast powers is no longer an option. It also puts an emphasis on stealth, and forces me to make more strategic decisions. Has anyone else tried something similar?

Austin Walker at Waypoint is doing a streaming series called Permadeath where he plays through the game with 3 lives (not hearts) and a variety of community based limitations that change each week. It's definitely has it's challenges and is interesting to watch.

But hey if you want to play your way more power to you.

Edit: Now complete with link https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/vote-for-this-weeks-zelda-permadeath-modifier-before-austin-loses-his-last-life

Avatar image for deactivated-6109c8479bb3d
    deactivated-6109c8479bb3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

This was pretty much my run, except I had 4 hearts.

There are also 4 areas I didnt climb the tower to reveal.

This is more #doable than people think, and it's not the great challenge it sounds like to be.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I'm thinking of doing something similar but waiting for the Hard Mode to appear "this summer" before I start anything.

Octopusrocketmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Octopusrocketmark

@ikabubu said:

This was pretty much my run, except I had 4 hearts.

There are also 4 areas I didnt climb the tower to reveal.

This is more #doable than people think, and it's not the great challenge it sounds like to be.

The only great challenge I predict is the boss rush at the end, how did you manage with it?

Avatar image for deactivated-6109c8479bb3d
    deactivated-6109c8479bb3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

@octopusrocketmark:

Let me clarify one fundamental fact: I still spent 100+ hours with the game, even with 4 hearts. I was not speed running it, but I did take lessons from speed runners.

I still invested in armor (Blue Tunic until 3 stars at least).

I stocked up on Ancient Arrows (40+ by the time I faced Ganon), which means I farmed Guardians.

I also grabbed a 3 shot Lynel bow (I later used a 5 shot on later runs against Ganon).

Multi-Ancient Arrows will do short work of the first 3 bosses (Ryan Davis rule: cheap, yes, but it's in the game, therefore, valid).

For Thunderblight and Ganon proper: learn to dodge AND parry lasers. Speed running videos helped.

BIG IMPORTANT TIP:

Unless this was patched: having less hearts actually helps with survivability.

The game actually protects you from One Hit KOs, IF and only IF, you are at full health and the damage done is greater than your entire full life. You'll be left with a quarter heart.

Example: Ganon hits you for 8 heart damage, and you have four full hearts. You'll survive it with a quarter left. Eat immediately. It's easier to stack low level cooked meat for instant full heals with lower hearts.

Octopusrocketmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ikabubu: Thanks for the tips. That all sounds rad. I've been practicing killing guardians by parrying in preparation for calamity. I'll keep that up, along with the other things mentioned. I think I'd pretty much be ready to try a Ganon run after 20 hrs of investment because of my previous knowledge of where key items are from my last playthrough.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.