Breath of the Wild is the new Dark Souls?

• 60 results
#51 Posted by flippyandnod (692 posts) -

It's the new Dark Souls like Knack is.

Come on. I don't get why people make these strained comparisons. Why can't it be its own thing?

#52 Posted by indure (70 posts) -

BOtW is based on the premise "easy in, easy out." Items are incredibly easy to acquire, but are expected to be lost very easy as well. Although death is more frequent, it is also more trivialized. Dark souls is the opposite. Items and death come at a tremendous cost and effort.

#53 Posted by Lv4Monk (398 posts) -

@afabs515 said:
@frostyryan said:

Both games can be difficult and you use weapons, yeah.

+1

From the storytelling/lore perspective, it blows my mind how people try to compare BotW to Dark Souls. BotW tells a very straightforward and frankly basic and shallow Zelda story whereas Dark Souls is minimalist and incredibly deep, lore focused story. People seem real eager to compare the photos in BotW to the storytelling in Dark Souls. In Dark Souls, you read 2-3 sentence item descriptions on seemingly unrelated items and draw your own conclusions; in Zelda, you navigate to a place given to you at the start of the game (and there's an NPC who tells you exactly where each spot is) at which point you watch a fully voiced cutscene that shows you exactly what happened in that spot. There's nothing left to interpretation in Zelda's story, and that's not a bad thing; I just don't think it's right to say these games do anything similar in terms of storytelling.

Zelda's a good game and it certainly borrows one or two elements from Dark Souls, but to say BotW is the "new Dark Souls" or "the Dark Souls of Zelda" is really reductive and discounting a lot of the things both of these games do. They share a focus on open world exploration and a lack of handholding, and that's it. Besides that, I think it's not really fair to compare the two as they're radically different games.

Both games have a story that begins after a great tragedy that left the world broken and lonely, leaving you picking up the pieces to assemble a larger context and feeling very small. They're two very different games but the world and how it's used to tell a story share some pretty obvious similarities.

#54 Posted by afabs515 (1737 posts) -

@lv4monk said:
@afabs515 said:
@frostyryan said:

Both games can be difficult and you use weapons, yeah.

+1

From the storytelling/lore perspective, it blows my mind how people try to compare BotW to Dark Souls. BotW tells a very straightforward and frankly basic and shallow Zelda story whereas Dark Souls is minimalist and incredibly deep, lore focused story. People seem real eager to compare the photos in BotW to the storytelling in Dark Souls. In Dark Souls, you read 2-3 sentence item descriptions on seemingly unrelated items and draw your own conclusions; in Zelda, you navigate to a place given to you at the start of the game (and there's an NPC who tells you exactly where each spot is) at which point you watch a fully voiced cutscene that shows you exactly what happened in that spot. There's nothing left to interpretation in Zelda's story, and that's not a bad thing; I just don't think it's right to say these games do anything similar in terms of storytelling.

Zelda's a good game and it certainly borrows one or two elements from Dark Souls, but to say BotW is the "new Dark Souls" or "the Dark Souls of Zelda" is really reductive and discounting a lot of the things both of these games do. They share a focus on open world exploration and a lack of handholding, and that's it. Besides that, I think it's not really fair to compare the two as they're radically different games.

Both games have a story that begins after a great tragedy that left the world broken and lonely, leaving you picking up the pieces to assemble a larger context and feeling very small. They're two very different games but the world and how it's used to tell a story share some pretty obvious similarities.

Yeah, that's definitely true. I agree that in terms of setup they're similar, but what I specifically don't understand is how people compare the storytelling in the two games. Like I mentioned, I've read/heard a lot of people comparing the photo/memory thing in Zelda to the item descriptions in Dark Souls, and I think that's crazy. And beyond that setup, I don't think anyone could argue that the story in BotW is even close to what the Souls series does in terms of depth, character development, and telling a story that's as deep as you want it to be. I can tell you everything that happened from 10,000 years ago in Zelda to just after the defeat of Calamity Ganon in about 10 minutes, but there are hours of analysis of the plot of the Souls games. This isn't a bad thing; I honestly don't need a deep narrative in a Zelda game. I just think this is a way in which the comparison between BotW and the Souls series breaks for me.

#55 Posted by Cerberus3Dog (785 posts) -
@shindig said:

@dudeglove: Oh, I do love Far Cry 2 as the super-secret best Far Cry. I mean, the last leg is confusing but I'll just put that down to, "This protagonist is very ill and Africa is fucked."

On the Idle Thumbs podcast, their Zelda episode is practically how Breath of the Wild is Far Cry 2.

#56 Edited by Giantstalker (2292 posts) -

It's like Dark Souls developed by a sane person, I suppose.

A Dark Souls that's actually good, if you will.

Someone above mentioned Dragon's Dogma, which is a way better comparison but still a total stretch

#57 Posted by FacelessVixen (1760 posts) -

I don't know... To me it looks more like Oblivion mixed with Cooking Mama, where you're constantly shaking the baby.

#58 Posted by dudeglove (12570 posts) -

@shindig said:

@dudeglove: Oh, I do love Far Cry 2 as the super-secret best Far Cry. I mean, the last leg is confusing but I'll just put that down to, "This protagonist is very ill and Africa is fucked."

On the Idle Thumbs podcast, their Zelda episode is practically how Breath of the Wild is Far Cry 2.

So people should go and play Far Cry 2 then and enjoy trying not to crash as they drive through jungle potholes while looking down at the map every few seconds. And then your mp5 explodes in your hand. And then your rocket launcher breaks and a rocket screws violently off to the side into the brush, setting the entire hill on fire, but ends up killing the mercenaries who were trying to flank you anyway. And so you revel in victory, and then you have a malaria attack and die because you forgot to do a malaria pill mission an hour ago to stock up for the mission that you just failed.

#59 Posted by Shindig (3960 posts) -

If only there was some way you, as a human being of free will could plan around these mechanics. Wait. I have an idea.

1. Prioritise the malaria pill missions.
  2. Buy some guns at the armory.
  3. Stock up on said guns before setting out on a mission, as they are more durable.
  4. Look at the map and decide on a path of least resistance to a mission.
  5. Execute.

A sandbox with some forward planning involved. Zelda's doing that too. Except it seems to be prioritising stamina upgrades and then stocking up on spare weaponry. Man, I want a Switch now.

Avatar image for deactivated-58d0fe182d7c0
#60 Posted by deactivated-58d0fe182d7c0 (42 posts) -

Well if this thread proves two things it's that

-People feel personally invested in making comparisons to other games
-People feel personally invested in resisting comparisons to other games

What a species

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.