Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 03, 2017

The first HD installment of the Zelda series developed for the Wii U and Nintendo Switch that returns to the open-world design of the original NES title, with a focus on free exploration of a large scale environment as well as dangerous enemies.

Breath of the Wild on Wii U

helo189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Like everyone else, I'm dying to play Breath of the Wild. I currently have a Wii U and that would be the most financially sensible way to go. I haven't been able to find much about significant differences between the two versions (aside from what has been officially said) and I'm hoping I can get some insight from anyone who has their hands on the Wii U version

Really, I'm only worried about issues with the Wii U version specifically that would significantly impact the overall experience.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

From all I've heard, both have the same kinds of frame rate drops but in different places. The Switch version runs at a higher resolution, though, and that seems to be the only major difference.

As someone generally sensitive to frame rate problems, it's fine.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if you don't want to be a crazy early adopter or don't want some sweet zelda on the go and have more sense with your money, wii u version should be fine.

Paliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I'm about 3 hours in on the Wii U version. It doesn't have any extreme issues. There's frame rate drops to 20, but doesn't seem much more prevalent than the switch footage I've seen. It runs smooth enough most of the time and doesn't impact the gameplay much unless you're really sensitive to that kind of thing. I'm glad I picked it up on the Wii U.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The framerate is gonna dip in busy areas, it's very noticeable but so far has not been an actual hindrance to the gameplay.

It's also just the Switch version on the Wii U so there's no use of the gamepad at all which is a real shame given all the menu hopping this game has.

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Phoenix654

@efesell said:

It's also just the Switch version on the Wii U so there's no use of the gamepad at all which is a real shame given all the menu hopping this game has.

This is the thing that bummed my shit the most at the beginning of this game. I'm about 4 hours in, just got out of the first area and had Hyrule opened up completely and the game pad does nothing but blink this...

No Caption Provided

Kind of a wasted opportunity there, Nintendo. This would be great for, you know, an inventory screen or a map or something. Things you've been pushing since this console launched. Oh well... Aside from that, the game is pretty damn fantastic so far, minor frame rate hiccups aside.

Btw, is anyone else calling the Sheikah Stone an "EyePhone" in their head because of the big eye on the back of it? Or is it just my pun addled brain?

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@efesell said:

Kind of a wasted opportunity there, Nintendo. This would be great for, you know, an inventory screen or a map or something. Things you've been pushing since this console launched.

Sadly, this is a way in which the game's quality potential was undercut as a result of being released split-platform. If the Wii U version had taken advantage of the gamepad to offer useful stuff like inventory management or touchscreen map-charting, the Switch version would not be able to match those features due to having no second screen capability. This would make the Switch version feature-inferior to the Wii U version. By doing this, Nintendo would be shooting themselves in the foot since it's far more important for them to sell Switches right now than anything else and Zelda is their top system-selling launch title. The last thing Nintendo would want is to create a concrete incentive for people to buy the Wii U version instead of the Switch version.

If the game had been released as a Wii U exclusive, then it would have made perfect sense for Nintendo to maximize its quality by making use of its platform-exclusive features like the gamepad. Nintendo also likely weighed the cost-benefit of moving Zelda to the Switch exclusively, but perhaps they felt that that would entail too large a hit to customer goodwill at such a sensitive time as a new platform launch or that the greater exposure the game would get from the large existing base of Wii U players would buoy the Switch by association with lots of positive word of mouth.

In any case, the Wii U version forgoing gamepad support is less an opportunity wasted and more an opportunity that was deliberately spent in service of a greater strategic goal.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BoOzak

@savage: Yeah the gamepad stuff bothered me a lot especially since the last 4 Zelda remakes had second screen item sorting/maps.(I agree with your theory about why it isnt in there)

Oh well, the pro controller is much more comfortable anyway and it's battery life is great. Also there is another thread for this with more info.

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Doskias

Honestly, the only thing about playing the WiiU version that bums me out is that taking screenshots with that device is inconvenient and slow enough to keep me from doing it with this game.

Otherwise, it plays fine. Has framerate issues for sure, but apparently so does the Switch version.

The head-scratchingly weird thing about the WiiU version, though, is that if you're playing with the Pro Controller, and you get to a puzzle that requires motion controls (which the WiiU ProCon lacks), the game tells you "nah, son" and makes you pick up the gamepad to do that. I can't imagine those bits would be terribly difficult to control with analog sticks, if the devs wanted. But whatever, it's a fantastic game so I'm not terribly bothered by this one thing.

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing on Wii U too, and I'm having a great time.

But maaaaaaaaan those chunky frame rate issues (mainly in villages etc) are pretty rough.

Have seen some switch footage, and it's nowhere near as bad as is is when I am playing,

That beating said, for the most part, its fine.

Ps. Motion controlling a ball in a maze.....sucks!

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

I'm playing on Wii U too, and I'm having a great time.

But maaaaaaaaan those chunky frame rate issues (mainly in villages etc) are pretty rough.

Have seen some switch footage, and it's nowhere near as bad as is is when I am playing,

That beating said, for the most part, its fine.

I'm thinking of getting the Wii U version too. I'm glad to hear that graphically the 2 versions almost look identical.

ocelotfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I'm about 20 hours in (buckled in over the weekend) on the WiiU version. It's got some framerate issues (particularly egregious examples usually came in towns or in massive enemy wave areas), but otherwise, performs well. Like others have mentioned, the only really annoying thing is that some Shrine puzzles require the use of the Gamepad instead of the Pro Controller (gyroscope needed).

void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@ocelotfox: Have you encountered any more shrines that require the Gamepad? Besides the ball in the maze, I mean. I had to reset the Wii U after that puzzle since the game input started glitching. For some reason it believed it was receiving input from the Gamepad after I switched back to the Pro controller, and it became a puzzle in of itself to finish the shrine without constantly falling and dying...

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dr_monocle

Yeah like most people are saying the framerate drops are pretty distracting (especially as someone who built a gaming PC about a year ago and has juuuust about hit that point where my eyes expect 60 fps) but, I dunno; it doesn't bother me as much after playing for a while. I still notice it but it doesn't bum me out. And it's still a good looking game even on the Wii U.

@sparkysanxion: I'm not sure if there is only one of those ball in a maze puzzles (probably not) but using the gyroscope allows for an...interesting solution: I turned the gamepad over, screen down, and there are no walls on the other side. I guess the devs anticipated this?

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Paliv

@void: I had the same thing happen to me yesterday. I wanted to finish the shrine before resetting the game, but the camera was stuck spinning after I finished the maze. I made my way to the end while it was constantly spinning. Only the second time ever a game has made me feel sick.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As many have already said, the Wii U version is fine. It does have performance issues, but they are the same as seen on the Switch. But over all its a very functional and playable experience. I'm just not as grabbed as most people seem to be, but thats another story all together.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I've been playing on the wiiu, other than known issues (frame drops)on both versions it's totally fine. I don't miss having a switch at all.

I do wish this game was 1080 though the resolution difference is noticeable to me.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@phoenix654: That is not the least bit surprising. The existence of the Wii U version always had the caveat of being completely unimportant to Nintendo out of the gate.

void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By void

@paliv: That sucks. I was hoping it was just that puzzle , but I've had the Pro controller not recognized by the game at startup more than once as well. For a game that was originally designed for the Wii U, that seems... bad?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

I've been playing on the wiiu, other than known issues (frame drops)on both versions it's totally fine. I don't miss having a switch at all.

I do wish this game was 1080 though the resolution difference is noticeable to me.

Neither versions are 1080p, Switch is 900p.

I'm tempted to get a copy of the Wii U version because they seem to be scarce like Twilight Princess on Gamecube was and Amazon copies are already going for over $70

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie: Yeah I ended up getting a copy from Best Buy yesterday for that reason. I can't imagine they made a ton of Wii U copies, and it's not like it will get a discount if you wait a month or two like most games.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Spoonman671

It was actually pretty savvy of Nintendo to discontinue Wii U production awhile back. Wii U's are actually a little difficult to find, and the price has remained high on them. If all you want to do is play Zelda, and you don't already have a Wii U. You practically have to buy a Switch.

Of course if you do already have a Wii U, then there is very little reason for picking up a Switch right now when you can just pay $60 to play Zelda.

Painkiller80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had to cut out a piece of cardboard the size of the contoller screen to cover the blinking "tap here to play on the wii u game pad". Thats the only thing that has bugged me about the game so far. The FPS dips are minor and mostly happen in towns with a lot of stuff moving around.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenix654: The Wii U version is the original, so they just didn't bother doing anything for the Gamepad and ported it to the Switch, lazy but I guess they wanted less incentives for people to play on Wii U

It's a great game but the Switch has framerate issues in places the Wii U doesn't and vice versa, I'm sure a Switch only Zelda will be much more optimised

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jadegl

I've been playing on WiiU, probably well over 10 hours at this point, and besides a few choppy frame rate moments, it's been playable and really great. The worst frame rate issues I had so far were in the beginning in a very windy and grassy area. Otherwise, it's been relatively smooth. Of course, if you come at it from a place where you're used to gaming PCs, I can see finding it a bit annoying when it chugs, but as a console first player, it's pretty much par for the course in a large open world game, better even than others I've played (Fallouts, Mass Effects, etc).

Setting that aside, it's beautiful and the moment to moment gameplay is super satisfying. I think it's well worth the money. And I don't regret buying this version over buying a Switch and getting a slightly better version.

wootootee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as the gameplay itself, it's truly incredible. It feels almost like a HITMAN-ification of Zelda, in that they distilled the best parts of it and gave it an unprecedented level of polish.

It's unfortunate then that the technical aspects of the Wii U are disappointing. It's chunky in villages, it's chunky in forests with more than 4 trees, it's chunky when a few too many enemies mob you at once. The fact that it's chunky at 720p doesn't do it any favors either. That said, the good far outweighs the bad, and there are certainly moments where the framerate holds steady and everything looks gorgeous. I don't play Nintendo games for a technical showcase; if I wanted that, I would've picked up Horizon instead. But it's frustrating to consider how good this game would look and play if it was on, say, a PS4.

(Also, that motion-controlled ball maze was terrible).

neokef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By neokef

Been playing on Wii U all weekend till my tablet died/won't hold a charge. Anyone know if that's going to be a problem Besides no more amino cheating (I have a pro controller)? Also does anyone know a good replacement battery that isn't sketch eBay cheap but not Nintendo $70 expensive?

Update: You NEED your tablet to do motion puzzles. Looks like some shrines are gonna have to wait as a battery ships to me :( This is the battery I decided to go for after looking at reviews if anyone else runs into this situation.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ripelivejam

i'm guessing 2nd screen functionality was taken out of the switch for cost cutting reasons. would have been theoretically possible, just streamed in reverse and extra brains/wifi in the dock to allow it. i won't really miss it, save a potential mario maker port/update.

think if we did have it, we'd basically have five generations of nintendo hardware/gimmicks on one console. (wii/wii u/switch/ds/3ds)

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenix654: The Wii U version is the original, so they just didn't bother doing anything for the Gamepad and ported it to the Switch, lazy but I guess they wanted less incentives for people to play on Wii U

I understand that, I just don't think it excuses it. It's still a product they are selling for the same price as the Switch version, it should take advantage of the console it is on, not the one they wish I would buy. This (and really every complaint I have about this game) are really minor gripes, the game consumed my weekend and I am constantly thinking about playing more of it despite Horizon existing (also fantastic) and having picked up Titanfall 2 for cheap (the movement alone in that game is spectacular, let alone the great guns and giant fucking robots). However, sorry Nintendo, I love Breath of the Wild so far, I just don't love it to the tune of a $400+ purchase (Switch, game, and pro controller because there is no way I would be playing this game with Joy Cons). I just wish it worked better on the console I have.

Or using it to whack a ball with a hammer.... also sucks. Really? I can't just use a joystick? I have to go pick up the (now dead) Wii U tablet, plug it in, wait for it to charge enough to turn on, solve this ONE puzzle in a larger maze shrine, then put it back down and resume using my pro controller?! *Sigh* Again, minor blemishes on an otherwise amazing, all encompassing, time sucking world to play in, but man...

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

My girlfriend is playing the Wii U version on the gamepad while I am playing on the tv with my Switch using the Pro Controller. Both versions are fantastic. We stayed up the entire night on Saturday and regretted that decision all day Sunday. We aren't 18 years old anymore.

Be safe out there, kids.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By WynnDuffy

@phoenix654 said:
    @wynnduffy said:

I understand that, I just don't think it excuses it. It's still a product they are selling for the same price as the Switch version, it should take advantage of the console it is on, not the one they wish I would buy. This (and really every complaint I have about this game) are really minor gripes, the game consumed my weekend and I am constantly thinking about playing more of it despite Horizon existing (also fantastic) and having picked up Titanfall 2 for cheap (the movement alone in that game is spectacular, let alone the great guns and giant fucking robots). However, sorry Nintendo, I love Breath of the Wild so far, I just don't love it to the tune of a $400+ purchase (Switch, game, and pro controller because there is no way I would be playing this game with Joy Cons). I just wish it worked better on the console I have.

Yeah I think them just putting the Wii U pad as a huge button to change between TV and the pad is poor. It wouldn't have been that hard to at least display the map.

The JoyCons work great with the grip. I don't know why people are so against them, they're small but when used together it's fine (and still good enough for $0 splitscreen with the wrist straps). I was pleasantly surprised.

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenix654 said:
    @wynnduffy said:

Yeah I think them just putting the Wii U pad as a huge button to change between TV and the pad is poor. It wouldn't have been that hard to at least display the map.

The JoyCons work great with the grip. I don't know why people are so against them, they're small but when used together it's fine (and still good enough for $0 splitscreen with the wrist straps). I was pleasantly surprised.

Yep. Kind of sad... but *shrugs* Nintendo.

You know, that is a fair point. I don't know why I'm so against the JoyCons considering I've never actually held them. I think it's because I, like Vinny, also have pretty large hands and am skeptical about them feeling good. If you say otherwise I'll take your word for it until I see a Switch in the wild.

phoophanphun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazon has the Wii U physical copy for 20% off while the digital version is MSRP. Does anyone know if there are any significant changes to playing from the disc as opposed to directly from the system? Thanks!

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Amazon has the Wii U physical copy for 20% off while the digital version is MSRP. Does anyone know if there are any significant changes to playing from the disc as opposed to directly from the system? Thanks!

possibly load times, but I doubt it would make a significant difference to warrant not buying it for 20% off.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoophanphun: At least in my case the disc drive makes quite a bit of noise, but it generally only bothers me when I first load into the game, probably 'cause it does the most of its heavy loading into memory at that point. Loading times aren't horrible, but of course I haven't compared.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@slag said:

Neither versions are 1080p, Switch is 900p.

I'm tempted to get a copy of the Wii U version because they seem to be scarce like Twilight Princess on Gamecube was and Amazon copies are already going for over $70

I know the Switch version is only 900p, I was just wishing there was one because you can really tell that it's 720p. Although in a way I'm glad because hearing that Switch was only 900p (and not 1080p) removed any temptation for me to get that version. Just idle musing on my part, I should have been more clear about what I meant.

I'd say the best reason to get the WiiU version is that I hear the gyroscope puzzles are a pain on the switch because you can't see the screen.

Carville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How hard will this version be to find in a couple of months? Will it be like the GC Twilight Princess or could i wait a bit and get it a bit cheaper.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I own it on both consoles and I think it runs basically fine on each.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carville: Nintendo-published games rarely get price drops, unless Nintendo puts them into the Greatest Hits category. Wii U Zelda BotW will probably be full price right up until it disappears, unless you find it on some amazon sale.

Even if it becomes rare, you could always just get the downloadable version for the Wii U.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Myahm Agana murder whoever designed that puzzle...

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm playing it on the Wii U and literally the only difference I can spot between it and my friend's version on his Switch is that for some reason there's slightly less glare from the sun on the Wii U

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Villages and densely wooded areas tend to have a noticeable framerate dip upon initial load, but honestly I have to be focusing on it to really 'notice' it. Most of the time I'm busy with a goal so I just...don't. And out adventuring I can't think of a time where I've noticed a drop (maybe when a ton of barrels pop at once in a giant explosion?). I think I just got used to low framerates when I first started playing PC games so I just never notice that stuff unless it's real bad.

I've probably put close to 100 hours into it at this point and play both on a TV and on the gamepad roughly equally.

Carville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Thanks think i'll wait Persona 5 is right around the corner

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15: I've had some times where I've hit a Lizalfos hard enough that it ragdolls, and seemingly the physics of a limp ragdoll Lizalfos in combination with a bunch of foliage or rain or other Lizalfos or electrical effects (honestly not sure which is the culprit, I'm not a tester) has caused the frame rate to suddenly dip to a single digit frame rate. Like, IT'S BAD, and it feels bad since its mid combat when this happens.

But yeah, other than specifically that, the frame rate really never drops enough that I care.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

I've played about thirty hours on the Wii U, ballpark. On booting it, the first few minutes I tend to notice that it is definitely a 720p game upscaling to a 1080p display. Little bit of shimmer, little bit of haze, some pop in, some slow down.

Then five minutes pass and I've basically stopped noticing. Most of the art does a fantastic job masking the version's compromises, particularly the dungeons and shrines. You're constantly being presented with new, small puzzles to solve and new regions to explore, such that I've wound up losing myself in the game within minutes every single session. I've no doubt in my mind that the Switch offers a better visual experience, plus the added benefit of portability. That doesn't move the needle for me, but that's mostly because I just dumped north of a grand on a new PC. The Wii U version is not only good; it might be the best game on the system, and it has some very good competition at this point.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Hmm, weird. I honestly can't think of a time that's happened to me. Not saying it hasn't, but with as much time as I put into the game it's really all just a giant blur now. Like, I might have noticed it, but then things went back to normal and I lost myself in the game immediately again.

I'm just glad I'm apparently not as susceptible to that as much as others are. It's kind of like screen tearing - whenever people complain about it in a game, I almost always find it really hard to notice. I don't know why. Maybe my eyes are just terrible?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.