Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 03, 2017

The first HD installment of the Zelda series developed for the Wii U and Nintendo Switch that returns to the open-world design of the original NES title, with a focus on free exploration of a large scale environment as well as dangerous enemies.

Breath of the Wild's Known Overworld Map Size Estimated at 360 Sq Kilometers

• 63 results
    Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Skinky

@dudeglove:

Of course, Nintendo showed how the system worked. Only after completing temples do you have the option to lay down a blue marker and fast travel to that temple.

Aside from the glider and horses, there may be other methods to increase travel time significantly, when traversing as normal.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a sneaky feeling players will be shocked by how full of life this game turns out to be. Even on the Great Plateau, where it's lush and has everything to support a sizable town.

A world "corrupted by technology" also suggests to me that population growth in Hyrule may be a by product, as it is in the real world.

I expect vast cities, not small towns dedicated to the civilisations of the Zoras and others.

We still don't know what lies beyond that chasm, and whether that chasm is closed. If it is closed, by a seal or natural means, it could mean whatever civilisations lie beyond cannot enter, making Great Plateau more of a haven than it already seems.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It needs to have a good mix of emptiness and things to do. If you want to go for some realism with this game, you'd want some empty spaces like the real world has. Of course, it's a video game and not the real world. But still, the key is balance.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Skinky

@kasaioni:

If you want to go for realism you have to use the geology, let the landscape dictate where settlements and industrial areas are. eg: water sources, and on the fringes of forests are common places for civilisation to settle.

Even the clouds seemingly. There is a photo posted online showing what appears to be a vast city on a cloud.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skinky said:

Only after completing temples do you have the option to lay down a blue marker and fast travel to that temple.

Oh man that sounds a lot like Dragons Dogma's Port Crystals. I guess as long as it doesn't consume an item to travel to it then people won't hate it.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Skinky

@ivdamke:

I don't think you do consume anything to do so, because you use the Shield Tablet, and the items you use on that are seemingly unlimited, like the round and square bombs, and the Magnetism item.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skinky: That's good but even with the unlimited ferrystone people still couldn't stand not being able to fast travel to every key location in Dragons Dogma. The lack of a horse in that game is the big differentiating factor but Zelda's world is 100x larger than Dragons Dogma so we'll see!

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a hunch that I think we'll be able to fly in this game by means we haven't seen yet.

They keep calling it an open-air game, and while I've seen their explanation as to why, I think there's more to it.

Hopefully we can fast travel with a horse.

ZoroarkMI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ZoroarkMI

For everyone commenting that they thought the world seemed kinda empty from the E3 demo: keep in mind that they specifically said that they removed NPCs from the demo, probably along with other elements of the game, for the sake of not spoiling the story. It's not that they're not in the game yet. They were removed for the sake of the demo. Don't assume that the world is going to be empty based on an extremely limited demo in which they removed a lot of things to avoid spoilers. Save your judgements for the final game. Personally, just from the aesthetics, I know I'm going to love the game. They're simultaneously breaking the norms for the series and going back to what made the first game so great.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You May also need to travel back in time to see towns and cities at their height. Only a few like the Zora and Gorons could have continued to thrive after the great flood...

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#63  Edited By Forcen

Hey, someone made a new map, he used some hacked game with infinite flying and used the flying minigame to measure the map. So if the games units are right it's 74.85 km^2 (square kilometers) or 28.9 mi^2 (square miles) Source: https://redd.it/5zkwbt

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

EDIT here is a older mesuared map that was only slightly off from this new one but it has some comparisons: Source

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.