Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 03, 2017

The first HD installment of the Zelda series developed for the Wii U and Nintendo Switch that returns to the open-world design of the original NES title, with a focus on free exploration of a large scale environment as well as dangerous enemies.

Early on in the game, did you spend the spirit orbs on health or stamina?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Early on in the game, did you spend the spirit orbs on health or stamina? (260 votes)

Mainly stamina. 52%
    Mainly health. 20%
    A little bit of both. I didn't really prioritize one over the other. 15%
    I played the game without upgrading either! 0%
    I didn't play this game. Let me see what others chose. 13%

I'm just curious because I remember hearing talk of it being better to do stamina since you die quite easily even if you put the orbs into health, but you need to get around, be it running away from something or traversing the mountains and what have you, so stamina is better. I'm finally playing the game as I got a Switch and Zelda with it yesterday. I've done nine of the shrines, so got to upgrade twice so far, and I've put both into stamina. Do you think I should keep going with stamina, or put some into health soon too? What did you do?

• 
    Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

It's much easier to craft foods that will refill/buff stamina than foods that will buff max health which will be needed if you intend on doing anything other than running away.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Stamina. I completed every shrine I came across and got quite a bit of spirit orbs. I think I finished the second wheel of stamina completely before I went for a heart piece.

The trend mostly continued through the game. If I recall correctly, I might have only spent 2 sets of orbs on hearts before I completely maxed my stamina...

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BoboBones

Stamina. I usually go for a mix in a case like this, but as soon as I got a grasp of the climbing, I knew. Gotta get higher!

effache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You start off the game with so little life, so I went for a 50/50 ratio pretty much the until the last few stamina upgrades when I blitzed it, but by then I was only turning in orbs when I collected over 12 or 16 at a time so it wasn't much of an issue.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went mostly health at first to make myself more survivable. Despite that I was still able to climb most stuff through careful use of rest points and some stamina refill foods.

I wasn't able to sprint very much but I was okay with Link's normal running speed.

I don't really regret my choice. Stamina is in many ways about convenience, while health lets you make a few more mistakes before getting a game over. For me the latter was more valuable when I was just learning the game than the former, but both are reasonable.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Stamina, I can always respawn if I mess up in a fight (generally found the fights easy other than the Lionels) but I wanted to be able to climb stuff asap to look for collectibles and such. Took roughly 2 stamina upgrades for every heart I took.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@bigsocrates: I felt like getting a bunch of stamina early on was a must get, but looking back on it, I probably could've done just fine going for a more even approach. If there's anything super tall you want to scale, you could always just craft a speed potion (pretty easy crafting materials that in retrospect I almost never used except to do a handful of Korok time challenges), or a stamina restoring potion (these ingredients are harder to come by and have pretty low effects).

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I maxed out my stamina before taking any hearts, since I was doing a lot of exploring and wanted to delay eating stamina replenising food. I could survive with three hearts for most encounters, especially if you eat food that increases your defense. The only encounters I really needed health increasing food was for lynels in case I missed a dodge.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GundamGuru

I went completely even, but biasing toward health is probably better if you find yourself doing more combat than climbing. I didn't find long distance climbing to be required all that often, and I actively avoided doing it because of how slow the climb speed is.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started off getting 2 extra boosts to stamina, and then started pumping health for awhile.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

A lot of health in the beginning, then stamina 'til I had a full 2nd wheel, then nothing but health 'til I beat it.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Just got a Switch and started this game I've spent one on health and the rest on stamina. I now have a second stamina circle. Gotta get up those mountains!

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went in for a second wheel of stamina first. Got just enough hearts to use the master sword. Then then I went in for the third stamina wheel. Then after that I put it all into hearts.

evil_gordita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want to spoil much, but there is a way to respec' in the game. In case you find yourself in a situation where you need extra hearts.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NTM

Yesterday, I started on the third stamina wheel. I think I'll finish that circle then go health. It seems as though there's enough stamina or ways to get on top of where you want to go that putting everything into stamina isn't necessary.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Started off going stamina for my first two then switched to health because because I stumbled into an area I probably shouldn't have until later in the game. I found the Master Sword pretty early and apparently you need 13 heart containers to even get it.

Thats the only reason Im going for hearts now. I haven't found the game all that difficult and would still be doing stamina with 4-5 hearts if i could.

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
    deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

I pretty much alternated health and stamina until I had two full stamina wheels, then put everything into health.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mems1224: It's not too unusual to find that early. You pretty much have to go there if you want to upgrade inventory space after the first few hours.

Ryman86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I went all in on stamina until I complete my second ring of stamina. Then I went for hearts after that.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I was doing 3-4 stamina to one heart. But when I was trying to get the master sword it was all hearts

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Neurogia

You don't need to upgrade stamina at all. I have zero upgrades in stamina and I'm almost done the 120 shrines, and full hearts is much more helpful. (edit: playing master mode)

Also using maximum Barbarian and ancient gear. How did I do it???

Stamina mushrooms are so common, all you have to do is cook one at a time during the blood moon to get lots of stamina restore food. Also, a tip that will break the game is cooking a single ingredient that is "hearty" to get a full health dish + bonus hearts.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NTM

This is honestly not a thread that needed a bump (granted it's not as old as some other ones that get bumped)... Okay though. I've done everything in Breath of the Wild (I've actually been done playing it for two months!) minus all of the master trials to upgrade the Master Sword all the way and find all the photos, which I probably won't do. I'm just waiting for the next DLC. As for the topic, I did all the stamina and then the rest into hearts. Have to say, doing all the shrines was pointless to me. I suppose it helps with the final boss and the Lynel's...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.