Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 03, 2017

The first HD installment of the Zelda series developed for the Wii U and Nintendo Switch that returns to the open-world design of the original NES title, with a focus on free exploration of a large scale environment as well as dangerous enemies.

Early opinions of the game

mostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By mostman

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I decided to start a new thread. It sounds as if some reviewers have copies of the game, and are starting to play through it; Waypoint is up with an early-impressions article.

This is making it sound like I might need to buy a Zelda Console Switch.

If folks come across some other early impressions, post them here. Side note: that writeup from Waypoint is exquisitely written. They are doing good work over there.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Could not be more excited for next Friday.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By MezZa

I've avoided all coverage since I want to experience everything first hand, but what I read in there sounds great. I skipped skyward sword because I wasn't very interested, so I have a big zelda itch to scratch. Haven't played a totally new zelda since twilight princess.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I'm always cautious of reviews of new Zelda games. Remember that the reviews for Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were overwhelmingly positive; however, Twilight Princess was ok/good and Skyward Sword is easily the worst in the series.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I was secretly hoping this would be bad so it would be one less game I have to buy this year. Damn you, Nintendo!

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still quite nervous about how the Wii U version is gonna turn out. Even so, I might pre-order it given Nintendos track record for these things (not that I think it will be sold out, I get the feeling I'm the only owner of a Wii U in Denmark :P)

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Superkenon

@horseman6 said:

I'm always cautious of reviews of new Zelda games. Remember that the reviews for Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were overwhelmingly positive; however, Twilight Princess was ok/good and Skyward Sword is easily the worst in the series.

I feel like Nintendo cast some weird witchcraft on Skyward Sword. I super enjoyed my time with it when it first came out -- I thought it had shortcomings and some frustrating limitations, to be sure, but it felt like a solid ride and I was excited as I played through it. But then I tried playing through it again a couple years later and I almost couldn't stand it. (Rather, the opinion inverted: a bad game with good moments rather than a good game with bad moments.)

It's almost like the "ooh, what's next?" propelled me through the entire game, but once that element is spent there's almost nothing left.

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@civid said:

Still quite nervous about how the Wii U version is gonna turn out. Even so, I might pre-order it given Nintendos track record for these things (not that I think it will be sold out, I get the feeling I'm the only owner of a Wii U in Denmark :P)

I am a bit nervous about the fact that I've seen no coverage of this version, up to this point. I wonder if Nintendo hasn't actually sent it out to press.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Justin258

@doskias said:
    @civid said:

I am a bit nervous about the fact that I've seen no coverage of this version, up to this point. I wonder if Nintendo hasn't actually sent it out to press.

They've probably sent everyone the new, fancy version for their new, fancy console because they need that thing to sell.

Still, yeah, performance is the thing I'm still really worried about. Not going to cancel my preorder because I have a suspicion this thing is going to be hard to find for the first few months after release, but I would like to see some reports on the performance of the Wii U version.

mostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mostman
    circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By circlenine
    mostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mostman

Might be time for a review thread. Edge Magazine hands out a very rare perfect score.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@doskias said:
    @civid said:

They've probably sent everyone the new, fancy version for their new, fancy console because they need that thing to sell.

Still, yeah, performance is the thing I'm still really worried about. Not going to cancel my preorder because I have a suspicion this thing is going to be hard to find for the first few months after release, but I would like to see some reports on the performance of the Wii U version.

It was built for the Wii U originally and Nintendo games have always had pretty impeccable performance, so I trust them on that. It'll be disappointing if it turns out to be otherwise, but there doesn't seem to be any great reason to worry just yet.

Based

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm trying to go in as blind as possible, but it is a bit of relief that people have been liking it.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sounds like the kind of direction I've wanted for Zelda for years now, so I am looking forward to it. Hope the Wii U version is good, not buying a Switch until there are more games on it that I want.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.