Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 03, 2017

The first HD installment of the Zelda series developed for the Wii U and Nintendo Switch that returns to the open-world design of the original NES title, with a focus on free exploration of a large scale environment as well as dangerous enemies.

Have you played this game yet?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By NTM

Poll Have you played this game yet? (343 votes)

Yeah, I got it with a Switch. 34%
    Yeah, I got it on the Wii U. 31%
    No, I'm waiting to play it on a Switch. I need a Switch first. 17%
    No for another reason. 17%

I haven't played it yet. I know the Wii U version isn't much worse than the Switch version (at least that's what I hear), but I want to get a Switch first, then I'll play it. Looks like the plan to play this before Mass Effect Andromeda isn't an option now. Is anyone else the same and waiting to get a Switch first, or have you gone about it another way?

Got a Switch on the 12th of July, played the game for hours that added up to about 100 and finished it on the 22nd. It was a great game; probably in my top five of the year.

• 
    ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

For months I had been going back and forth about whether to buy a Switch at launch solely for Zelda. Given the dry launch lineup and lack of anything else coming for a while, along with the fact that the Wii U version is pretty much identical, the decision to pass on the Switch and just get the Wii U version of BotW was pretty easy.

I don't regret it at all, I adored the game and never really felt like I was playing inferior version of it.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Switch hasn't been released in Korea yet and the WiiU never was. ("WorldWide" releases often aren't: The perils of having a unique, not particularly widely used alphabet.) Imports are going for ridiculous prices. The Switch will probably come here if it's a big enough success. We got the 3DS, DS and Wii. Unfortunately, Korean releases by Nintendo are usually completely localized and don't have any English. I'm hoping since the Switch is region-free, that won't be the case this time around. My Korean's OK, but not the best.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I got it on both the Switch and the Wii U, but I still haven't played it. I'm trying to catch up with the previous Zeldas that I've missed before starting BotW.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Bought it along with a Switch. It's been great so far. After hearing reports about how the Wii U version runs, it's safe to say you'll have a similar experience with either version. If I had a Wii U I probably would've gotten the game there.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I bought it for Wii U. Sadly there are too many things in the game that annoy me that I'm very much regretting my purchase. I'm very jealous of all the people able to enjoy it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have any plans on getting a WiiU or Switch a the moment, (no money for it) but I'm looking forward to playing this game in the very far future when I can get either console for dirt cheap. Or perhaps if WiiU emulation on the PC by then has reached the point where it would be close to 100% compatible (obviously owning a physical copy of the game for that).

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Teddie

Copy arrived today. Held it for a few seconds, then handed it off since it's supposed to be a birthday present. I don't have time right now anyway, but it was still a bummer to have it teased like that.

Man, but the PAL boxart sucks compared to the US one, huh? Since when does that happen?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

No there's way too many other games to play, so it's been down-prioritized to hell. I do think it looks good though, once I finish up Nier (I might 100% that). Zelda could be worth picking up on the Wii U. We'll see. More likely is that'll I get it with a Switch down the line as something else comes out.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It's awesome game, I swore I would never buy another console, but switch presents a lot of potential, hopefully the games and future software keep coming.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I was on the fence about getting a Switch at launch and considered at length of holding off on getting it until later on, either when Mario Odyssey had also been released or hopefully some kind of bundle of console + game was on the market. This was already a marked change from my original consideration of the Wii U possibly being my last Nintendo console considering that both my Wii and Wii U didn't get much use, plus I never finished a Zelda game (console or handheld) since Ocarina of Time.

However, my tech lust got the better of me and seeing so many positive reviews and pretty enticing gameplay footage of Breath of the Wild eventually got the better of me. I had considered getting BotW for Wii U and then getting it again later on when I bought a Switch, but figured I probably wouldn't play it again on the Switch if I finished it on Wii U. Therefore I ended up pulling the trigger on the Switch and BotW and have been blown away ever since.

I've used the Switch in all 3 modes already; only once in Kickstand mode but I've used it a ton in both Handheld and TV mode. I'm typically not big on open-world games as I usually never finish them but the world of BotW is oddly compelling and it's all I can think about when I'm not playing it. It's a long time since anygame has been able to illicit that kind of reaction from me and it's a testament to how great this game is (to me).

madladunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah...I wasn't going to get a Switch but then the Zelda buzz started and I jumped aboard, not wanting to miss out.

The device and the game have exceeded my expectations, I have no regrets.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't going to get it at launch, but I wanted to be a part of the fervor surrounding the game. Got it on Wii U. I want a Switch, but nothing outside of Zelda interests me until Mario Odyssey. So might as well get it for the console I already have.

I really like it.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Got it for the WiiU. 50 hours in, haven't really advanced the main quest much at all (intentionally) and havin a blast.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played about 20 minutes, then fell asleep. Not the game's fault. I was just really really tired.

Seems neat though.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I'm playing on the Wii U, I'm liking it so far, but I'm not loving it and I would have been really disappointed if I bought a Switch just to play this game.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

No, I'm waiting to see how cheap WiiUs get and then I may buy one with a copy of Zelda, unless the new Mario game is also touted to be fantastic in which case I may get Zelda with a Switch and a cop of Mario as well. I'm tempted to go the latter route because I haven't owned a Nintendo platform since the Gamecube and thus haven't played either franchise since Wind Waker and Sunshine respectively but I don't want to buy a platform just for two games (or one game), either. So part of me feels I should just skip it, again.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Played it in various situations, bought the Switch version.

I can't find a Switch. :/

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I just finished the game (Wii U) yesterday. What a hell of a last hurrah for that system. Probably my favorite zelda game yet. And to anyone wondering how that version of the game runs, the answer is fine. It's been talked about to death at this point, but the framerate does get choppy at points in the game. The only time it ever really affected the gameplay was on death mountain when you're doing the lead up to the dungeon. I got single digit fps there, but once I got past the leadup (treading up the volcano) things were fine again. If you're on the fence with the switch and have a wii u just go for it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I haven't touched it personally but considering how much it has been discussed on both podcasts for the past two weeks I feel like I've played at least 40 hours of it.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RonGalaxy

If I play this in the near future, it will probably be on a Wii u I buy on eBay for cheap. That's a big if.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By BaneFireLord

Bought my Wii U last summer solely for the purpose of playing Wind Waker HD, VC Zelda games and Breath of the Wild. It has served its purpose well.

I don't care much for any other Nintendo franchise so I saw no reason to get a Switch for one game. If they release an exclusive Zelda at some point down the road I might be persuaded, but otherwise I have no interest.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Played it, beat it, still playing it, the games great. (performance issues aside)

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have it on the Wii U. Still haven't beaten it, but it's definitely going to be a strong GOTY contender for me.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, Wii U + Games is too expensive relative to just buying a new PC; don't need a new PC immediately. You'd have to be a lunatic to buy a Switch right now.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm playing it on the Wii U now. I didn't get a Switch mainly because it would have been the only game I'd have been interested in, and I already owned a thing that could play it. So far, I'm not really feeling it. I always liked Zelda games taking place in a condensed world where every nook and cranny was filled with unique stuff to discover. This game just has so much empty filler space, and interchangeable mini-puzzle dungeons or little tree guys to talk to. That coupled with the fact that all your weapons are interchangeable means that none of it really feels special. But then, I haven't done much other than exploring, so maybe it's better if I just stick to the story. I just wish trying to find everything in the game felt more like Zelda and less like No Man's Sky

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Casepb

Got it for the Switch. I really dig being able to play it as a handheld game or on my projector. Unfortunately the frame rate when docked can get on my nerves. Also I'm not sure if I'm alone in this, but it doesn't really feel like a Zelda game to me. I've played almost all of the Zelda games and this one seems the most influenced by western games I suppose. I still think it's a great game, just not my favorite Zelda game. I really miss full on dungeons with epic bosses at the end.

Cloudleet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Cloudleet

I played it for 20 minutes last week just to see what I was in for. Bought a switch for it and everything. Now I'm just patiently waiting for easter to roll around.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

No. I bought it on the Wii U a couple weeks back (maybe a week after launch), but it's still sitting sealed behind me. In fact I keep forgetting I own it and then every so often I'll suddenly remember, "Oh I actually bought that game." I'm deep in on Yakuza 0 at the moment, though, so I'll hold off until at least I'm done with that - though I'll likely be moving on to Persona 5 at that point. BotW can wait, it doesn't feel like the kind of game that's gonna get spoiled and I'm not desperate to play it right now. I'll probably even get through NieR and Horizon after Persona (I'm sure at least one will have gone on sale by then, too). Might even pick up Resident Evil 7 if it gets cheaper. I want to play BotW this year, but my main reasons for buying it were that I didn't expect it to get much cheaper over time anyway and I was concerned stock would eventually run dry for the Wii U version.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I am in Persona 5 limbo, the state where you avoid playing most games (especially longer games), because you know you will abandon everything when you finally get your hands on Persona 5.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ohbabes said:

Yeah...I wasn't going to get a Switch but then the Zelda buzz started and I jumped aboard, not wanting to miss out.

The device and the game have exceeded my expectations, I have no regrets.

This is how I feel too.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NTM

Damn, and I still haven't gotten a Switch and/or played Breath of the Wild! I want to so badly. I refuse to get it on the Wii U though. I hope I can get one in June or July... Currently wondering about this again which is why I bumped it. Am I the only one here that really wants to play it (on the Switch) and still hasn't? I also want to ask, how is the story (without spoilers)? Not just what's seen it the cutscenes, but what you do that pertains to the main quest.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Naoiko

@ntm: Honestly I'd say it's good. Not like amazing but good. I honestly enjoyed exploring and getting to know the characters and places along with Link. 90% of the story is told in the main quest/cut scenes but all in all the sub stuff is fun too. It could have been deeper story wise but it's still enjoyable. I find myself remembering even silly npc side quest due to the way the whole thing was done. For example the side quest involving Tarry Town was delightful! As well as the really silly one with the little girl who refused to eat anything but cake.

All in all it is an open world game meaning it's not quite as heavy with the story outside the main stuff. The characters are well written, the dialog is fun (when appropriate).

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

I haven't played it yet but I do want to give it a go. I picked up a Wii U earlier this year to finally play Bayonetta 2 but after the first few missions I just couldn't get into it.

There's still so much left to get to though so making time for a game as vast as Zelda is going to be tough.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sigh. No. Thanks for reminding me :(

Avatar image for octopusrocketmark
    Octopusrocketmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

150 hrs in, no regrets. Best "game to play with significant other" ever made. My wife and I have played it together every step of the way, until I decided to be an absolute madman and do a three heart, no divine beast run, which she wanted no part in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I got it on the switch. It doesn't run well and I think it's horribly overrated. I'm going to try it again in a couple months once the WiiU emulation improves.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NTM

I haven't even cared to listen to the soundtrack. I've heard the game, unfortunately, lacks in that respect in terms of how much there is in it which sucks. I'm listening to it on YouTube, and I really like it! Hyrule Castle is pretty good and it's probably the biggest change I've heard for the theme.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingbonesaw: Don't spoil anything once you get into it if you do, but please come back and say what you think!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally! I just bought a Switch on Amazon earlier today and will be playing Zelda on Wednesday! Again, finally. Yay! I don't often have dreams of video games, at least from what I remember, but I've had two dreams in the recent past of me being in a store and buying a Switch so I could play Zelda, ha ha.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingbonesaw: Aw, didn't see your reply. It's been a month since you replied, have you gone through the game and experienced a whole lot of it? What'd you think if so? Again, I am just going to start playing on Wednesday, so please no spoilers still.

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I caught the Amazon deal for the switch yesterday - I'd never thought I'd be more than happy to pay MSRP for a damn console, but here we are. 5 months out and it still sells out in minutes. Excited to finally get my grubby paws on this game when everything arrives tomorrow.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not yet. Even though I have a Switch, I haven't bought it yet because I'm waiting to get through Horizon first.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tanookisuit: Yeah, should actually arrive today here. I'm excited! I just hope I don't get tired in the process of waiting. I have to go to the store and buy games though!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I will look at getting a Switch when there are enough games for it. Probably in a couple years it may be time for myself. I really like that they were putting more of their whole company behind one console and I thin they should have enough Nintendo games for me, who hasn't bought that last few Nintendo consoles.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, can confidently say I like PUBG better as a game I haven't played; since that'll be the GoTY discussion if Battlegrounds is deemed eligible (or GoTY will just be boring again).

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got it! Got the Switch and Zelda! This is going to be fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.