Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 03, 2017

The first HD installment of the Zelda series developed for the Wii U and Nintendo Switch that returns to the open-world design of the original NES title, with a focus on free exploration of a large scale environment as well as dangerous enemies.

No Gamepad Option *applause*

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So according to Nintendo you have the option not to use the Wii U Gamepad in Zelda BoTW. I don't feel bad that this makes me very happy, I personally would not like to play a game such as this with that bulky mess, It just wouldn't feel right. I would be happy to play it with NX controller however, confident that it will be far more streamlined. And the console may even have a conventional controller, like the concept of the classic controller pro on Wii. Hopefully considerably better..

This move makes me more confident of the thinking behind the game. Choice seems to be a big thing, so why not follow through with the controller options also. If it has a Gamecube controller option ill be extremely happy.

Thoughts?

Scottjay01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Scottjay01

See this is what I wanted for star fox, I just wanted Procontroller support properly. Forced controls are never the way, hopefully this is a sign that they understand if people dont want things like motion or tilt or whatever gimmick they just say, Hey we made great regular controllers too, use that.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I don't mind using the gamepad for anything and everything outside of a few fighting games. Didn't the Zelda HD remakes also have the option of playing without the Gamepad? I like the Pro Controllers but probably wouldn't want to give up whatever convenience the gamepads extra functionality adds.

The one thing I don't like about it is how hard it was to find a replacement charging cable. Now my second charger cable has just started breaking and I'm lucky to have bought an extra just in case. Still annoying how much of a single point of failure anything relating to the gamepad is.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not mind the gamepad in the slightest, never have. Choice is always good though!

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is pretty much evidence that even Nintendo themselves didn't know what to do with the Wii U Gamepad. Zelda has usually been the one where Nintendo shows their gimmicks in practice and to see them decide to just not do it seems really grim. I don't mind, but it really makes you wonder why Nintendo didn't even try to give anyone a reason to buy the Wii U.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo, and its sad fans will never forgets the harsh lessons that last Star Fox game gave us. But there are other reasons aside from controls that still make that game dire. If they, Miyamoto and his team approached Star Fox with the same approach Zelda team did with this, it would have been a far different story I think.

I look at that new Kamiya game and think, OK, see you bad better things to do than have your hand slapped by Miyamoto.

Nintendo are up against the wall now, and that's a good thing for fans seemingly lol. Software will have to kick arse. And vital aspects like controls have to be well considered. Having shitty rules like you have to cater for the primary controller won't cut it with players and developers.

I'm happy to try any new exciting control options if well considered. My hope is that the new NX controller will work like Gear VR for Metroid, with the addition of a conventional controller also.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good, that thing hurts my hands after awhile.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You'd play with a Gamecube controller but not the wii u one? Huh, I guess different strokes for different folks.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like the heft and size of the wii u gamepad, guess i'm weird (what's new?)

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FrodoBaggins

I can do without a lo-def world map and in-game camera functionality.. The NX controller I hope will provide more incentive. I do want to use the Amiibo in this game.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Probably a necessity since it's shipping on the NX too.

We don't know if the Gamepad will be part of whatever the NX is.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I don't have a problem with the Wii U gamepad. It's way better than the Wii-mote.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ajamafalous

You'd play with a Gamecube controller but not the wii u one? Huh, I guess different strokes for different folks.

I would, yeah. The Wii U gamepad is so heavy that my hands cramp after a while. It's the only controller I've ever had an issue with.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

meh, a lot can happen in a year when it's released

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@frodobaggins said:

I would, yeah. The Wii U gamepad is so heavy that my hands cramp after a while. It's the only controller I've ever had an issue with.

The gamecube controller gets a lot of undue hate. Sure, the right stick is weirdly small and for some reason it only has one shoulder button, but it's great in other ways. The form factor feels great in the hands, the layout of the face buttons, despite being odd, is actually smart. Having the button you'll be pressing the most surrounded by the other buttons actually makes more sense from a usability standpoint than the standard diamond shape.

A new controller in the style of the gamecube controller with some of the mistakes fixed would probably be my favorite controller.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wind Waker HD let you choose to use the classic controller as well.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

every time they say you don't need a gamepad it just makes me think the second screen stuff they do have will be worthless

through with the crafting and hunting in this game having an inventory always open sounds pretty good

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked the gamepad implementation in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (and like the second screen use on Link Between Worlds), so I respectfully disagree with OPs sentiment.

On a side note, I'd hold out on being so sure the NX will be the best thing ever and everything we dream of for now. We have no idea what that thing is and being a Nintendo console the controller method might just be another gimmicky mess (could even be touchscreen controls for all we know).

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I'm one of the few people that actually likes the gamepad and I find it quite comfortable. Admittedly I would never replace it with a more traditional controller, but still...

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rafaelfc said:

I really liked the gamepad implementation in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (and like the second screen use on Link Between Worlds), so I respectfully disagree with OPs sentiment.

On a side note, I'd hold out on being so sure the NX will be the best thing ever and everything we dream of for now. We have no idea what that thing is and being a Nintendo console the controller method might just be another gimmicky mess (could even be touchscreen controls for all we know).

Even if you like using the Gamepad, you have to admit them giving the player options is a good thing. You can still use the gamepad if you want. Nintendo moving away from their "we know best, play how we want you to play" mentality to give players options is a good thing.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: oh for sure, more options is always good for sure. The previous Zelda games on the Wii U already had that option and were perfect in that regard, imo.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rafaelfc said:

@ll_exile_ll: oh for sure, more options is always good for sure. The previous Zelda games on the Wii U already had that option and were perfect in that regard, imo.

Sure, but I think this is still noteworthy for Breath of the Wild because it's a new game. Those HD remasters on the Wii U were games designed originally for standard controllers, so it makes sense that you could still play them that way.

With recent Nintendo, you never really know what you're going to get. It was a real possibility that they'd introduce some nonstandard control methods built around the functionality of the gamepad and make that the only way to play the game. It's comforting to know that they won't be doing anything like that.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm very happy I can use the Pro Controller. Very happy.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Pro controller time baby! The WiiU gamepad is a horrible abomination.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GB Zelda impressions of the controls suggest to me Nintendo are looking to cater to a number of control options. Dpad left Quick Menu has to be designed with a conventional controller in mind.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Furthermore it looks like Aonuma is against using the WiiU Gamepad screen and TV at the same point, stating in an interview with Wired:

“We realized that having something on the GamePad and looking back and forth between the TV screen and the GamePad actually disrupts the gameplay, and the concentration that the game player may be experiencing,” Aonuma said. “You have your car’s GPS system on your dash. If you had it down in your lap, you’re going to get into an accident!”

So it looks like the demo having controls on the bottom screen might not just be for the demo (we don't know what it will have, but it looks like it won't be of great importance)

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@retris said:

This is pretty much evidence that even Nintendo themselves didn't know what to do with the Wii U Gamepad. Zelda has usually been the one where Nintendo shows their gimmicks in practice and to see them decide to just not do it seems really grim. I don't mind, but it really makes you wonder why Nintendo didn't even try to give anyone a reason to buy the Wii U.

You're completely wrong though. For one, the GamePad is being used in the game, just not forced. They've already shown in the two HD remasters of WWHD and TPHD how it enhances the older games. All they seem to be doing here is not including any touch-screen stuff to not create any discrepancies with the NX versions. The GamePad's gyro is being used for motion controls, however. Just like in the previous games.

The only thing this is evidence of is what Aonuma already said in interviews: the NX and Wii U versions will play the same way.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really don't think it's forced in this game, those who have played the demo would have been onto that instantly.

I suspect they are keeping it simple, in line with the HD remasters. There may well be some motion control camera functionality. There may be some items that use motion sensors also.

They haven't used motion control for the glider and the shield surfing, when once upon a time they would have jumped at that option.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

i like the heft and size of the wii u gamepad, guess i'm weird (what's new?)

Nah i'm with you, then again I liked the Duke.

I'm not sure why this is a good thing. Games like these (and even past zelda games on 3ds) greatly benefit from dual screens. Hell their whole pitch for Zelda on the Wii U was using the gamepad to cycle between your different items with ease. Sure the d-pad is easy enough for weapons but this game supposedly has crafting. I've never played Minecraft but I remember people were dumbfounded that the Wii U edition didnt have a way to manage your items with the gamepad.

Sure the idea that you can use other controllers doesnt exclude these features but not having them in the e3 demo doesnt bode well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.