Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 03, 2017

The first HD installment of the Zelda series developed for the Wii U and Nintendo Switch that returns to the open-world design of the original NES title, with a focus on free exploration of a large scale environment as well as dangerous enemies.

Sold Out. Will this be Twilight Princess again?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Amazon UK are sold out of the Wii U version of the game and have stopped all pre-orders. The situation with breath of the wild is reminiscent of Twilight Princess where it was released on 2 systems with a much greater push on the newer system, making the older one harder to find. Do you think this could be a similar situation? Amazon UK selling out is obviously not indicative of a global trend, but I was surprised especially since the Wii U didn't sell very well. It may be the case that there is a more limited amount of the older version being produced.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I'm not surprised since they aren't even selling brand new Wii U systems on shelves. Why would they dump more Wii U copies of Breath of the Wild for a system they have already abandoned? Much smarter to force people who have Wii Us to buy a Switch and play it there.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Sounds like Nintendo being Nintendo these days. Under-produce something. Cause a shortage. Demand increases. People clamor. Free marketing. It seems to work for them. My news feed is regularly inundated with NES Classic (lack of) availability articles. Not very consumer friendly of them.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

is there no digital version of the game on wii u?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Could be worse seeing as Gamecube outsold Wii U.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By paulmako

@marz said:

I was talking to someone about this yesterday and we pointed this out. Barring some weird download space requirement, you will almost certainly be able to get Breath of the Wild the Wii-U eshop. So it's not quite the same as with Twilight Princess.

I preordered the game in January 2016 so I imagine they are well aware of the strong demand for it. Maybe they didn't order in much more than the number they needed to cover the pre-orders.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal: Not very producer friendly for them either.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

My main problem with this is you can't even get a Switch anymore, it's been sold out since the day it went up for preorder.

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I just got a second email from Game.co.uk saying that the price of the Wii U version has gone up again, so I'm glad I pre-ordered it when I did

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My main problem with this is you can't even get a Switch anymore, it's been sold out since the day it went up for preorder.

I just checked 4 big retailers here in the UK and they are all still offering pre-orders of the Switch. Is this another one of those weird US shortages? Like how you guys still cant get certain amiibo?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@werupenstein said:

In England pre-orders opened up again everywhere and they are pushing them hard, suggesting that they must have a lot left to fill. Maybe people cancelled after their initial rush of excitement, it's hard to say.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako said:
    @marz said:

I was talking to someone about this yesterday and we pointed this out. Barring some weird download space requirement, you will almost certainly be able to get Breath of the Wild the Wii-U eshop. So it's not quite the same as with Twilight Princess.

I preordered the game in January 2016 so I imagine they are well aware of the strong demand for it. Maybe they didn't order in much more than the number they needed to cover the pre-orders.

That would make a big difference. I was more asking out of curiosity and not out of fear of shortage. I do wonder if they are limiting production of the physical version because they're pulling away from the Wii U as much as possible.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MezZa

From a business sense it doesn't make sense to produce a lot of copies for the wii u. You want to drive people to go for the switch version instead so that they support your hardware release and future software releases as well, but also don't want to leave wii u owners with no options since you said there would be a wii u version. They probably ran the numbers on how much stock would be worth producing of the wii u version. It's not likely to be as high as most people probably want, but that's just the harsh reality of profit. You can always download anyway aside from space or data limit issues, so it won't be impossible to find. It will probably just easier to find a switch version on shelves than a wii u version, and that is very much intentional on their part. I can't fault them for that really.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@mezza: I agree with you, but I don't think it's as much trying to drive people to the Switch out of force as much as it is not wanting to pay to have stock sit in a warehouse while anyone can download the digital version anyway. The scenario where someone really wants to play BOTW on WiiU and can't find it on store shelves, and actually buys a whole new system rather than wait and look for it used somewhere is going to be a fairly rare enough scenario to where Nintendo isn't going to expect any discernable bump in their sales for the new system because of it.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Only Amazon UK sold out. I was able to find the Wii U version available in the following places (with extra goodies as described from this Nintendo UK page):

It doesn't look like they have limited stock at all. Amazon just probably gave them a bad deal so Nintendo prioritised elsewhere.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MezZa

@brendan: For sure, it is largely a question of how much stock they can likely sell of the wii u version in the first place. I mainly just mentioned it because having backstock of the switch version tends to look better for stores than having backstock of the wii u version since wii u's are out of production. Having the Legend of Zelda and Switch paired together for window shoppers and kids to see is a more desirable outcome to aim for than Zelda and Wii U paired together. It subtly encourages people to think of Zelda as a switch game rather than a Wii U version. We know better of course, but we follow things more closely than some others might. Having more physical discs than you need for the wii u in that case doesn't make much sense.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By alistercat

@dixavd: wow the prices on those seem insane considering my pre-order was £40. Looks like I got a bargain. I also got a further £10 off because amazon had a promotion that day, so it's more like £30.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By meteora3255

I was actually worried about this as well. For collection purposes I want a physical copy but I imagine Nintendo is going to be relatively tight on the supply of Wii U copies since retailers will be loath to take up shelf space with a console that Nintendo has declared dead after this game.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meteora3255: Dixavd posted a bunch of retailers with stock, even though they're way too expensive. I may well sell my Wii U copy once I get a Switch later in the year so you might find some cheaper copies on ebay later.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@dixavd said:

Only Amazon UK sold out. I was able to find the Wii U version available in the following places (with extra goodies as described from this Nintendo UK page):

It doesn't look like they have limited stock at all. Amazon just probably gave them a bad deal so Nintendo prioritised elsewhere.

The Game Collection also have it for £44.99 which is the cheapest I could find. I was going to get this digitally but fuck paying £60.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Casepb

@creepingdeath0 said:
    @werupenstein said:

I just checked 4 big retailers here in the UK and they are all still offering pre-orders of the Switch. Is this another one of those weird US shortages? Like how you guys still cant get certain amiibo?

Well that's pretty damn annoying, and you can't even order from the UK amazon if you live in the US because they won't ship it there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.