Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 03, 2017

The first HD installment of the Zelda series developed for the Wii U and Nintendo Switch that returns to the open-world design of the original NES title, with a focus on free exploration of a large scale environment as well as dangerous enemies.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild review round up

• 103 results
    paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By paulmako

The review embargo has been lifted and so far Breath of the Wild seems to be knocking it out of the park.

Giant Bomb - 5/5. Link's most ambitious adventure is one of Nintendo's crowning achievements.

Gamespot - 10/10. Breath of the Wild is a defining moment for The Legend of Zelda series, and the most impressive game Nintendo has ever created.

Game Informer - 10/10. It represents a profound new direction for one of gaming’s best franchises and a new high point for open-world interactive experiences.

Destructoid - 10/10. Zelda: Breath of the Wild is an evolution of the formula for both eastern and western philosophies alike, and a new blueprint.

Polygon - 10/10. In an open world full of big changes, Breath of the Wild also almost always feels like a Zelda game — and establishes itself as the first current, vital-feeling Zelda in almost 20 years.

IGN - 10/10. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a masterclass in open-world design and a watershed game that reinvents a 30-year-old franchise.

Metro Gamecentral - 10/10. The best Zelda there’s ever been, and very possibly the best video game ever made.

Here's a link to the Metacritic page for more review summaries. Seeing several variations on 'best Zelda game', 'best Nintendo game' and even some saying 'best game' full stop.

It's worth pointing out that all the reviews seem to be for the Switch version of the game. No idea if outlets have been sent the Wii-U game.

Is this going to be enough to sway anyone waiting for reviews? Does it make anyone more likely to pick up a Switch?

pjgut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The reviews are great but I can't seem to find anything about the Wii U version. As much as I want to play the game I don't know if it's worth buying the Switch right now just for that. Hopefully it doesn't run significantly worse on Wii U.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pjgut: Here's a comparison video of the final builds. Aside from the resolution, it looks like they're near (if not completely) identical graphically at least.

Loading Video...

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan's review has me really wanting to check it out, as someone who doesn't own a Wii U or Switch, and who hasn't played a Zelda game since Wind Waker.

But Zelda seems to be the only game available for the Switch that isn't a years-old indie game so...someday.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sitting at 98 on Metacritic with 40+ reviews, which is kind of crazy. I just watched some of the Quick Look. and I do think reviewers are being way too generous about the performance here, but clearly this is a case of different priorities. It's nice to see something that is trying to be a videogame first rather than a cinematic experience get such a high score though. The interactivity of the world is something else.

As a final thought, I do wonder what this game would have looked like if MGSV hadn't existed.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a final thought, I do wonder what this game would have looked like if MGSV hadn't existed.

Can you elaborate on that a little bit? Do you mean as an example of a game going open world?

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako: Like I said, a small final thought, and maybe I'm completely off base on this, but I do see a lot of parallels between BotW and the MGSV. The marking, the overall lack of obnoxious minimap indicators, a strong focus on very organic gameplay where you can plan your approach to any given situation. If I were to point at any open-world game released in the last 10 years from which BotW MAY have drawn inspiration from, it would be MGSV.

Edit: Oh right, and in answer to your OP question, this isn't something that will make me a purchase a Switch, at least not now. A strong factor in that is being in the middle of a semester, and the last thing I need is a new console distracting me.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I don't own a Wii U, so it looks like I'll be buying a Nintendo Switch sometime down the road. This seems like an absolute must play title, and I'd like to experience it for myself.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this the most well reviewed game ever?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now I just hope the Switch is a success. I'm still not buying one for just one game. Regardless of how great it is.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those are great reviews, but no one is actually stating if BOTW is worth $80 (I'm up in Canada) or the actual $480 (Switch + BOTW).

I'm one of those rare 40 somethings that didn't grow up with a Nintendo (I was a Sega/PC kid), so I'm genuinely interested in BOTW, but not enough to drop 500 bucks on a system I don't entirely trust to totally fail for one game. And looking at the rest of the Switch lineup I'm really not in a rush to get one, other than Zelda.

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pjgut: I've been playing on a wii u this week. The performance is fine. Gets a little Framey in populated scenes but hasn't really been an issue for me.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dafdiego777: Thank you, that's good to hear. I wasn't going to pick up a Switch for a while yet and since nobody was talking about the Wii-U version...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9ece82a6c
    deactivated-5d9e9ece82a6c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WynnDuffy

@bill_mcneal said:

@dafdiego777: Thank you, that's good to hear. I wasn't going to pick up a Switch for a while yet and since nobody was talking about the Wii-U version...

I mean, if you think you're gonna get a Switch by the time Splatoon or Mario Kart come out, you might as well just get one now... >;)

pjgut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dafdiego777: Great, that's good enough for me. The performance hicks are a bummer but I guess it was to be expected (on both Switch and Wii U).

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bill_mcneal

@wynnduffy: Nah, probably in a year or so. My tv died recently and I'm on a "backup" that isn't as good. Plus I still have Wii-U games to finish (and a few to start) and some eshop games to play (Mario 64, OOT, Metroid, etc). Don't need it right now and don't need to spend the money. It's not going anywhere ;)

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of all the possibilities I saw coming when I (stupidly, speaking a priori) preordered the limited edition at 180AUD, this is truly an outlier.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By liquiddragon

@bmccann42: it's a rule of thumb you don't buy a console for a game. That's a given. No game is worth $480. I know Canada has some variable pricing but is $80 unusual? If we're going purely on reviews, it's a not-so subtle way of saying, yes it's worth your money.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By liquiddragon

Everything seems to be in line with a console Zelda release. Now we have to wait for the response from the regular folks.

mostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: Regular folk here (adored OoT, MM, and WW, thought TP was competent but boring, couldn't make it an hour into SS). It's fantastic.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WynnDuffy

@mostman: GTA IV being so high irks me in ways I can't describe... I couldn't get along with that game partly because it kept dropping to 20 fps. I should check it out on PC.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dafdiego777: Sir, you adored MM, you r not a regular folk and have been caught red handed. Lol jk. I wish I could play this...

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: yeah gotta get the unmitigated hate to match the unbridled enthusiasm. ;)

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: haha but you know the shitstorm is coming and oh, what a shitstorm it's going to be.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: $80 is the standard cost for a game up here now, that goes for PS4 and Xbox1 as well - gotta love that Canadian dollar :(

I agree no game is worth $480 dollars, and while I am really interested in Zelda, I have Horizon to get through which is very much doing it for me at the moment.

Drakoji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be googling a lot some videos that compares both games, because all these 10's make me want to buy a Switch way too much.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I hate how good 2017 has been in terms of video games.

Johnny_Sailor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've been interested in the Switch since it was announced, but more in a "I'll wait a year or so until there are a bunch of good games on it and it's proven itself" kind of way. Seeing these reviews has actually made me want to try and find a Switch as soon as I can. I have a Wii U, but it seems like the Switch version is kind of the definitive version.

I'm a huge Zelda fan, but the last few entries into the 3D version of the franchise have seemed dialed in. I mean they're good games (like all Zelda games are) but they were very formulaic and basically the same game over and over. This seems fresh and new, and has me really itching to play it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

These are "This is a moment in time in video games to remember" level scores.

n00bs7ay3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol. All these positive review are not helping! I ordered the game from Amazon (assuming that they would get it to me for March 3rd), they just informed me today that they are not even shipping it until March 6th :( Glad to hear it is good though!

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Guys. I haven't even started Horizon yet. I haven't finished Yakuza 0 or Nioh. I just barely finished wrapping up Gravity Rush 2. It's the first week of March. What is happening?

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I wish this game were on a better system. I haven't played a Zelda game in so long and it sound like this one is maybe the best Zelda game ever.

But I'm not spending $300+ on a console just for one game. Particularly when it doesn't seem like there are any other games for that console worth getting.

Man. Can Nintendo just hurry up and become a software only company already?

mostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mostman

@johncallahan: A wise man once said, Its the best time to be playing video games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1d502761653
    deactivated-5d1d502761653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great game - however looking at the announced titles for 2017 the release list qualifies as a solid Wii U year. I don't see big N going all in on the Switch as I hoped they would (especially when it comes to first party development). Still Breath of the Wild puts the system into "wait till holiday season" for me - by that time I should have a better idea if the Switch becomes Wii U2 or if it's worth a purchase to me.

MrBGone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting one at 00:01 here in Sweden. Zelda+the fact that I can go hiking in south american mountains, pull out the switch and play mario kart with a friend makes it totally worth it.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By WynnDuffy

@lawgamer: you're not buying it for one game, sure at launch you might be but the price isn't going to drop until at least Christmas (probably some good bundles, not a price drop)

Fast RMX looks great and there's some indies I want on the Switch instead of on my PC, add Mario Kart next month and I'm happy with the software for now, Splatoon playtest is in 3 weeks too

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mostman: Unless you're a Street Fighter fan :( :(

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@lawgamer: it's also kind of disappointing that the game performs poorly on a Switch. I figured it would be framey on a WiiU but it's surprising that it's also struggling on the Switch in places. I mean this is a flagship title for their brand new console, and it's having troubles performing from the very start?

Jam13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BoTW has really got me interested in a Switch. I'm primarily a PC guy, but may consider picking up a Switch in 18 months or so once the roster of games is stronger and if there's a small price drop.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@paulmako: Like I said, a small final thought, and maybe I'm completely off base on this, but I do see a lot of parallels between BotW and the MGSV. The marking, the overall lack of obnoxious minimap indicators, a strong focus on very organic gameplay where you can plan your approach to any given situation. If I were to point at any open-world game released in the last 10 years from which BotW MAY have drawn inspiration from, it would be MGSV.

Seems to me that Monster Hunter/Dragon's Dogma were a far bigger influence fwiw. Which would make more sense to me given that MH is a huge success in Japan and is on Nintendo platforms

Cooking, breakable weapons, stamina meters, minimalistic HUD. no health bars on enemies, organic gameplay etc

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pompouspizza
    Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
    CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wish Jeff had done the review.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer said:

I wish this game were on a better system. I haven't played a Zelda game in so long and it sound like this one is maybe the best Zelda game ever.

But I'm not spending $300+ on a console just for one game. Particularly when it doesn't seem like there are any other games for that console worth getting.

Man. Can Nintendo just hurry up and become a software only company already?

if you have misgivings about the switch you can get a wii u used/refurbished/what have you. then you can play zelda at a cheaper buy-in plus a whole bunch of other great games.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless it comes out that the Switch version is technically much better, which it really doesn't seem like it is, I'd personally would rather play it on a Wii U with the 2nd screen for menus.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Things didn't quite line up for me to get a Switch, so I pre-ordered Zelda for the Wii U. I'm puuumped. Definitely tempering my expectations as far as performance goes, but hopefully it's fine beyond some framerate dips.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

And there was much rejoicing.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.