Which Open World Game Releasing Next Week Are You More Looking Forward to Playing?

Edited 6 months, 29 days ago

Poll: Which Open World Game Releasing Next Week Are You More Looking Forward to Playing? (220 votes)

Horizon: Zero Dawn 38%
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 60%

Since these two games are coming out days apart from each other, I can only get one... for now. I'm interested in what the Giant Bomb community is more looking forward to playing first, the new IP from Guerrilla Games or Nintendo's shot at an open world Zelda.

#1 Posted by MezZa (2896 posts) -

I'm going with Zelda. Actually cancelled my Horizon pre-order because I knew I wouldn't be able to fit both in right now. Horizon sounds cool from how Jeff described it, and I plan on playing it closer to the summer. If I had more time I'd play it now, but next week marks the beginning of an avalanche of games that ends with Persona 5. Have to cut back somewhere otherwise I'll never finish them all.

#2 Posted by Zeik (4759 posts) -

Neither. I'll be playing Nier: Automata the week after.

I actually do want to play Horizon and Zelda quite a bit, but I don't have a console to play Breath of the Wild, and Horizon is coming out too close to Nier and P5.

#3 Posted by BojackHorseman (690 posts) -

Zelda, but I'll never buy a Switch.

#4 Posted by mems1224 (1922 posts) -

I would love to play Zelda but the switch sounds like a disaster at launch and I don't own a WiiU so I just don't care about it right now

#5 Posted by FrostyRyan (2399 posts) -

Considering everyone is saying Zelda is the actual second coming of christ, Zelda.

#6 Edited by BabyChooChoo (6730 posts) -

I've changed my mind numerous times over the past few months. First I said I was going to get one. Then I said I was going to get the other. Then I said I was getting to Nier. Then I said I was going to get two of those. Then I said I was going to get a different two, etc etc.

Fuck it. I'm getting Horizon, Zelda, and Nier on release and praying I can beat all of them before Persona 5 drops.

#7 Posted by DookieRope (303 posts) -

I don't own either console. I'm just gonna play the same FPS I've been playing for years and grump about these darn kids and their inferior platforms on the internet.

#8 Edited by Dan_CiTi (4754 posts) -

Zelda seems to be an overall better game, but Horizon still seems to be very good too. Gonna try to get Horizon day 1 and then play as much as I can before Thursday night/Friday when its gonna be a Zelda-a-thon weekend to say the least. I'll probably pick up Nioh and Nier too once funds become a little more open.

#9 Posted by Glots (3408 posts) -

Unless someone suddenly donates me a Switch/WiiU or I win one from a competition appearing out of nowhere, I'm going to say Horizon. But I've also been excited for it since the announcement, so I'd still pick and play it first.

#10 Edited by IVDAMKE (1594 posts) -

Out of those two? I'd much rather play Zelda, but I don't own a Switch and don't intend to either.

But I'm really down for Nier over all else.

#11 Edited by KirkyX (316 posts) -

Horizon seems like it's more my sort of thing, but Zelda certainly sounds good--when I eventually pick up a Switch, I'll definitely play it.

I just wish Mass Effect wasn't a whole month away. Don't get me wrong, another gigantic game coming out right this second would be absurd, but I'm having trouble focusing on other games while it's sitting there just over the hill.

#12 Posted by BoOzak (1929 posts) -

I dont know how open worldy Nier Automata is going to be but that would be the one i'm the most excited for. I am looking forward to Zelda though. I'll get Horizon when it's on sale.

#13 Edited by redyoshi (1420 posts) -

After Jeff's review of Horizon I've since heard some other impressions on that game that make me feel a little better about pushing that game down in my priority list. The way much of the press seems head over heels for pretty much every part of Zelda they can talk about has me more interested. I'm thankful I still have a WiiU. I'll also be playing Nier Automata the week after.

#14 Edited by NTM (10276 posts) -

You put this under Zelda, and yet it's about two games. Eh, anyways, I don't know. I wasn't that excited for Horizon, but the way some people put it, it sounds exactly what I want out of the games I play so now I really want to play it. Zelda I am excited for and want it with the Switch which is a bit of an addition to the excitement. I guess Zelda, though. That's only because I hope to get a Switch and Zelda with it on the first day. So I might way for Horizon unfortunately. That said, if the stores doesn't have a Switch, I will hold out on playing Zelda and just get Horizon (and maybe even Nioh). I don't want Zelda on the Wii U. It's just unfortunate that I feel I need to cram all these games in before Mass Effect Andromeda. I believe I'm going to try and play Ghost Recon also...

#15 Posted by jacksukeru (6634 posts) -

I mean, Zelda. 'Cause it sounds like it'll be a game with the things I like best about Zelda, and I have very specific things that I like about Zelda. So to get a game that can make me excited for Zelda again well.. not even robutt dinosaurs can top that. I'm super looking forward to playing Horizon too though, as well as NieR:Automata.

AAAAHH I need to finish up what's left of my backlog quickly this weekend! Videogames!

#16 Posted by rethla (3622 posts) -

Both looks kinda interesting but i think it aint two games that i ever will finish and im not gonna but an gimmick console for one or maybe 2 decent games. If i buy any of those it will be Horizon down the line purely because i already have an playstation.

#17 Posted by probablytuna (4988 posts) -

More interested in Horizon since I'm not getting a Switch. But I've heard some stellar things about Zelda so I guess we all benefit.

#18 Posted by RonGalaxy (4845 posts) -

Zelda looks and sounds amazing, but I'm not buying a switch or a Wii u for it. So horizon for me.

#19 Posted by sagesebas (2464 posts) -

@babychoochoo: I'm in the same boat but I wanna finish mgs 4 and mgs 5 before persona 5 comes out. Now on how to get a PS3

#20 Posted by TheWildCard (518 posts) -

I'm probably not going to play Zelda until I get a switch, and who knows when that will be, so Horizon. I'd rather play a new IP than another Zelda game anyway. Zelda games always review quite (or overly) well, so it might be good to see what the consensus is after it's sat for a year.

#21 Posted by ZolRoyce (1726 posts) -

I'm waiting for the WiiU reviews for Zelda before I make any decisions with it, it's the first Zelda I personally have been interested in since A Link to the Past, so I'm looking forward to it, but if it's leaps and bounds better on the Switch, it will be a loooooong time before I get it.

Meanwhile I'll get Horizon asap, looked like my kind of game since day one, and the early reviews only bolster that.

#22 Posted by Boonsong (1313 posts) -

I have no interest in Horizon but Zelda looks real good. I'm not planning on getting a Switch or a WiiU anytime soon though.

#23 Posted by FrodoBaggins (1134 posts) -

100% Zelda

Looks like Nintendo bringing their A game and we all know the outcome of that.

#24 Edited by doctordonkey (1467 posts) -

I've been on coverage blackout with Zelda, I only have a broad idea of what to expect and I'm really excited for something new. Horizon, I mean the story sounds really well done, but I already know how those Far Cry style games are structured. Nothing really surprising there.

#25 Edited by Justin258 (14755 posts) -

Horizon has always looked kinda "eh" to me. Even when they first showed it, I kinda just shrugged. Which is weird, because tribal men and women hunting robot dinosaurs should have made me go "this is awesome!" but instead I just shrugged and wondered what the hell everybody saw in it. My interest in it did go up somewhat over the past few months, but then I read Jeff's review and he compared it to Far Cry 3/4/Blood Dragon's structure and most of my interest was lost. I'll probably still wind up getting it and playing it later this year or sometime next year, but I'll pass for the foreseeable future. We've got Zelda, Mass Effect Andromeda, and Persona 5 all coming out in a very short period of time, I think Prey looks fucking awesome (and have for a while, why are people all over that Horizon thing when Prey's doing some cool shit!?) but I'm going to wait until after release to see how that performs on PC and the consoles. So, basically, I just don't have time to play Horizon anytime soon.

Zelda, on the other hand - I'm not a Zelda fan at all, but I can count on one hand the number of games that have absolutely floored me over the past few years during their presentations/reveals. I saw the gameplay for that game last year and ever since then, I've just been pumped for it. That level of hype and interest hasn't died down and I have to see for myself if it was all justified. So I've already got that game preordered through Amazon. If all goes well, I'll come home from work Friday afternoon, sit down, pop that game in, and just spend all weekend playing it.

#26 Posted by DonChipotle (3426 posts) -

Horizon. I'm sure Zelda is fine but I'm not buying a Switch just for one game. I made the mistake of adopting the Wii U early and I'm not keen on doing the same here.

#27 Posted by mrcraggle (3028 posts) -

I must be crazy but I'm just not seeing what's so special about Horizon. To me it just looks like the new Tomb Raider games but with robot dinosaurs. I'm probably missing something there but from the footage I've seen, it hasn't ever made me feel excited for it. On the other hand, I think Zelda looks incredible. It just has weird, little detail things that make me go "oh, that's rad" like how you have to actually catch your boomerang or how if you have metal items, you're more likely to be struck by lightning.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
#28 Posted by Colonel_Pockets (1144 posts) -

Horizon just because I don't know if I will ever own a WiiU or Switch. Zelda looks really awesome though.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
#29 Posted by colourful_hippie (5762 posts) -

Both which is why I'm getting both

#30 Edited by BaneFireLord (3327 posts) -

@mrcraggle said:

I must be crazy but I'm just not seeing what's so special about Horizon. To me it just looks like the new Tomb Raider games but with robot dinosaurs. I'm probably missing something there but from the footage I've seen, it hasn't ever made me feel excited for it. On the other hand, I think Zelda looks incredible. It just has weird, little detail things that make me go "oh, that's rad" like how you have to actually catch your boomerang or how if you have metal items, you're more likely to be struck by lightning.

Pretty much this. BOTW looks like a Nintendo take on Morrowind with a lot of awesome sandbox physicality and attention to detail. I've got that sucker preordered, and I almost never preorder.

As for Horizon...I've got a lot of gift cards to burn so I might pick it up anyway, but all the glowing reviews have seemed really at odds with the marketing videos. Apart from the aesthetic and setting, everything about the actual moment-to-moment gameplay and structure looks like a pretty-yet-generic, Ubisoft-style open world game. I'm waiting on the Quick Look to pass full judgment but I'm not especially optimistic.

#31 Edited by Anund (1258 posts) -

@mrcraggle said:

That would be an interesting game. To me it looks more like Farcry 5 with robot animals rather than flesh ones.

@frodobaggins Yeah! Another rehash of the last few original ideas they had back in the 90's! Just kidding. Sort of. Nintendo hasn't released a single game that interested me since I sold my SNES, hehe.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.