Wii U performance question

Avatar image for smurf_in_a_blender
#1 Posted by Smurf_in_a_Blender (115 posts) -

I've been playing the Wii U version for at least 100 hours since launch and I've been running into a serious performance problem. I know the fps drops are common and I've seen it plenty of times, but there are instances where the frame rate actually stops. It mainly seems like it happens when I hit a taller enemy and send them into ragdoll. The frame rate doesn't just slow down, the game just locks up for at least a few seconds. This has happened at least a few times and any time it happens it's bad enough that it seems like the console has locked up but when I try using any kind of menu including the weapon swap they work fine.

Has anyone else seen this? I've done a fair amount of googling and the only results I find are about general fps dips.

#2 Edited by pompouspizza (1387 posts) -

I have been playing the Switch version and I have definitely had the game just freeze for a second while hitting bigger enemies in certain areas. It never freezes long enough for me to try and open a menu but it does completely freeze for a second or so.

The Easy Allies review mentioned this problem so maybe go and watch that to see if it's the same thing you're talking about.

#3 Posted by AlisterCat (7727 posts) -

I've had it on Switch in portable and TV.

#4 Posted by paulmako (1892 posts) -

I think freezing for a half second or so happened to me once when hitting one of the tall monsters early on in the game, but I don't think it's happened beyond than that in my 50+ hours with the game. It don't think it was three seconds though.

It does take a few seconds getting back into the game after you bring up the Wii-U homescreen.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
#5 Posted by colourful_hippie (5764 posts) -

People say that both versions have bad performance but in different areas but I've never seen the kind of slide show horror on Switch that the Wii U gets in places like Hakeno Village. I was shocked to see that performance on Brad's stream.

#6 Posted by mcbisquick (27 posts) -

As I got further in the game, I had a few more instances of what you're describing. Usually during combat when a 1-2 enemy fight suddenly became a 4-5 enemy fight. It didn't last more than a few seconds. Annoying, but it never broke the game for me.

#7 Posted by GundamGuru (666 posts) -

@paulmako: @smurf_in_a_blender: I've been playing BotW an absolute ton on the Wii U, and ragdolling a Moblin (the tall enemies) stalls the physics engine every time. The repeatable way to make it happen: use a two handed weapon and get the entire combo off. The last hit always ragdolls the target.

Avatar image for smurf_in_a_blender
#8 Posted by Smurf_in_a_Blender (115 posts) -

Cool guys, thanks. Like I said I hadn't seen anyone mention anything past general slowdown so I was starting to think my Wii U was beginning to crap out on me. This is I guess both good and bad news.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.