Will you play this on the Wii U or nx?

• 86 results
Posted by Nick (927 posts) 1 year, 4 months ago

Poll: Will you play this on the Wii U or nx? (439 votes)

Wii U - the one i currently own 51%
nx - will buy one when it comes out 42%
Wii U - will pick one up for cheap when the nx is released 7%

If you plan on getting this game will it be for the Wii U or the nx? I'll probably buy an nx when it's released.

#1 Posted by doctordonkey (1485 posts) -

I generally only play through Zelda games once, so I'll definitely be waiting for the NX version, if it doesn't release day and date.

#2 Posted by ajamafalous (13649 posts) -

Seems incredibly premature considering we don't even know what the NX is yet.

#3 Posted by FacelessVixen (2035 posts) -

I'm catching up on E3 news so I don't know if the NX has backwards compatibility with WiiU (or if anything has been said about the NX at all). If so, I'll get the NX version. If not, I'll just get a WiiU and the few games I want for that system instead.

#4 Posted by spankingaddict (2957 posts) -

Wii U , unless the nx has a great lineup .

#5 Posted by MudKatt (71 posts) -

No way to know until we find out what the NX is gonna be, really. Definetly not buying a console for a game that could be played on the Wii U if the NX is something I'm not interested in.

#6 Posted by Nick (927 posts) -

@ajamafalous: This isn't supposed to be scientific, I just want to get a general idea of where people's heads are at given what we've seen and heard about the game at this year's e3 :P

#7 Posted by Teddie (1861 posts) -

We haven't seen anything about the game in relation to the NX yet, so I'm just waiting to see if there will be a meaningful difference between versions (or if the NX is even something worth owning, after getting burned by the Wii U).

#8 Posted by pkmnfrk (296 posts) -

This is a decision that I will defer at least until we hear literally anything about the NX!

#9 Posted by ajamafalous (13649 posts) -

@nick said:

@ajamafalous: This isn't supposed to be scientific, I just want to get a general idea of where people's heads are at given what we've seen and heard about the game at this year's e3 :P

Sure, but, I mean... it's not like the game will be out before we know what the NX is. Why even think about the decision now? If the NX is a handheld with touchscreen buttons then I'm absolutely not getting that thing, for example.

#10 Posted by Dixavd (2756 posts) -

I own a Wii U, I will play it on that if the NX doesn't look like something I want. AKA, what is an NX? If I do get an NX though, I'll probably get it there and I might even get another copy on Wii U so my sister can have a playthrough while I'm at university.

#11 Edited by NTM (10380 posts) -

I don't know about getting the game on the date of its release, because I plan on getting it on the NX, but maybe not when this comes out.

Edit - I plan on getting the game and the Switch, hopefully both first day. Do we know if the releases are parity?

#12 Posted by BeachThunder (14817 posts) -

All we have so far are rumours that the NX will be some kind of cross between handheld & console with virtual reality functionality. There's no way that Nintendo could fuck up something with that description...

#13 Posted by mems1224 (1947 posts) -

Don't have a wiiu because I don't see the point but this definitely sold me a NX

#14 Posted by Sergio (3571 posts) -

I have a Wii U, but I'll probably get it on the NX, unless the new controller puts me off.

#15 Posted by Skinky (243 posts) -

NX, but I will buy the Wii U version, if I have to.

#16 Posted by Twinsun (793 posts) -

All we have so far are rumours that the NX will be some kind of cross between handheld & console with virtual reality functionality. There's no way that Nintendo could fuck up something with that description...

They should just call it The Virtual Boy 2

#17 Edited by geirr (3471 posts) -

Assuming the NX has the higher fidelity and assuming NX isn't some weird, failed experiment, I'll be going with NX and Zelda.

#18 Edited by wchigo (847 posts) -

I'm finding I have less time for gaming these days, as well as I'm starting to not like being "tied down" to one area when gaming, which is why my Vita has gotten more use when compared to my PS4 and PC these days.

That being said, I feel like I've not played much with Nintendo consoles starting with the Gamecube and that has continued on with the Wii U. Despite the fact that I own probably over half a dozen games for it, including Super Mario 3D World, Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2, I haven't finished ANY game I own on Wii U. I haven't even bought Super Mario Maker, which seems like a game I would ABSOLUTELY enjoy just for playing levels that other people make. For these reasons, I don't see myself going forward with purchasing Nintendo consoles (handhelds are a different story) and if the Wii U is my last Nintendo console, that makes which platform to buy Zelda for a really easy decision.

#19 Posted by Y2Ken (2727 posts) -

The Wii U, unless there's a strong enough lineup at the time for the NX that I want to get one right away. Or if reviews all come out saying the NX one is vastly superior (in which case I'll likely just wait to play it until there is enough out for the NX to justify a purchase).

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
#20 Edited by Redhotchilimist (2233 posts) -

Depending on what the NX is, I'm strongly considering buying one. One of the reasons I decided on something other than a Wii U when I got a new console was that it seems like the NX is coming soon. Knowing Nintendo, it's pretty likely it will have backwards compability for the Wii U, so I get those games anyway. I only hope they aren't doing gimmick controls this time. Ever since the gamecube, the only gimmick they did that I've liked was the DS/3DS' two screens, since it's mostly just a convenient menu or map. If this new thing is stupid again, then forget it.

#21 Posted by eddiephlash (286 posts) -

If history tells us anything, its that the Wii version of Twilight Princess was inferior to the Gamecube version. I'll be picking this up on the Wii U.

#22 Posted by Takoyaki (292 posts) -

I'll get it for my Wii U. I'd like to get it for NX, but throwing down a few hundred on a new console isn't really something I can commit to right now. I'll probably get one a year or two down the line though.

#23 Posted by RonGalaxy (4852 posts) -

I'll probably never play it, unless I pick up a Wii u for really cheap at some point.

#24 Posted by FrodoBaggins (1181 posts) -

Wii U. I own one, and I don't tend to buy consoles as soon as they come out.

#25 Posted by BasketSnake (1781 posts) -

720 or sub-internal resolution with framerate dips wii-u version (whatever they decide) and 1080 native resolution NX version - take your pick. It's bound to happen.

#26 Posted by Levio (1953 posts) -

It's too early to know which version will actually be better.

Twilight Princess was a better game on the older console. That was screwed up.

I would hope Nintendo won't let that happen again, but for all we know the NX could be another gimmick-fest where you strap wiimotes to your feet to simulate running.

#27 Posted by Rafaelfc (2237 posts) -

I'll play it on the WiiU.

We don't even know what the NX is.

#28 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (2856 posts) -

My ideal plan is pick up an NX at launch and play it on that, but at this point it's hard to say if that will be feasible. If availability or price end up keeping from getting an NX launch, I'll just pick the Wii U version so I can at least play the game, because I have to play it.

#29 Posted by Justin258 (14793 posts) -

There are too many unknowns for me to decide right now, though if it looks good and performs well on the Wii U and the NX doesn't have any other major launch games, I'll probably get it on the Wii U

#30 Posted by Slag (7596 posts) -

It depends on what the NX is.

#31 Posted by SaFt (619 posts) -

I'm waiting to see what the NX actually is before making a choice.

#32 Posted by Dayve86 (173 posts) -

Considering that we don't know what the NX actually is right now I'm not really sure, but chances are I'll play it on Wii U. I probably get an NX eventually but I normally don't get a console until it's at least a year old. And I'll want to play Zelda before then.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
#33 Posted by deactivated-582d227526464 (835 posts) -

i am never buying another nintendo console again. i will play it on my dusty wii u.

#34 Edited by barberforce (173 posts) -

Defo on the Wii U as i need at least 2 games to play on it \o/

#35 Posted by fisk0 (6561 posts) -

I'm not in a hurry to replace my Wii U, so if I'll pick up any version, it would be the Wii U version.

#36 Posted by takayamasama (1491 posts) -

I'm not sure yet, it will 100% depend on what else is shown to be coming out in the first year of the NX, if a few of those titles also interest me, then I'll pick up an NX, otherwise WiiU

#37 Posted by BigSocrates (1887 posts) -

NX, since I don't have a Wii U, but I miss Nintendo games. Honestly I would buy a Wii U now if Nintendo would drop the price to something reasonable but we are officially at the point where the Wii U costs more than the Xbox One. A significant amount more if you factor in games and gift card deals etc...

I understand Nintendo's dedication to not discounting their games, since they tend to be relatively evergreen, but their strategy with the Wii U hardware is kind of baffling.

#38 Posted by SkullPanda1 (1548 posts) -

I will likely pick up a used Wii U to play it on unless the NX is both amazing and sub $250 USD.

#39 Posted by Trilogy (3145 posts) -

Wii U. I'm not going to buy a new console for one game. Unless the Wii U version is total garbage, I'll be playing there.

#40 Posted by Bucklebutt (108 posts) -

Probably on nx even though I already own a Wii U. I'm primarily a PC gamer and I find that Nintendo consoles are the best supplement to that. I love their first party stuff, I got more than enough mileage from my Wii U.

#41 Posted by Knotley (28 posts) -

Well my WiiU went the way of a trade-in when Xenoblade Chronicles X and I ended a four month relationship. If the game holds up and doesn't collapse in on itself, it'll definitely be a day one purchase alongside the NX.

#42 Edited by Tom_omb (904 posts) -

Where's the option for waiting to see wtf NX is before purchasing it on day one? Because I'll need to play Zelda on day one. Current Wii U owner. Supposedly the NX version will be the "same experience" as on the Wii U.

#43 Posted by VeggiesBro (207 posts) -

I would need to know what the NX is, as well as pricing and what its line-up of games is. I mean, aside from some of the obvious stuff like Mario etc... If they released a Monster Hunter on NX, i'd probably have to get it then.

#44 Edited by BoOzak (1952 posts) -

Wii U, just as I bought the GC version of twighlight princess. Nintendo themselves have said it isnt going to be that different. Also nobody really knows what the nx is yet. I want to believe that Nintendo wont go too crazy with it. (I really hope the info about it not having buttons isnt true)

#45 Posted by Bill_McNeal (674 posts) -

Wii U. I was initially going to wait until I found out if the NX was going to have backwards compatibility or not*, but because it's doubtful I'll be buying it at launch anyway, there's no reason.

#46 Posted by s10129107 (1500 posts) -

Lol, nobody knows what the NX is. What kind of question is that?

#47 Edited by ripelivejam (11970 posts) -

If what we were looking at was wii u gameplay it already look pretty fantastic, but i will wait to see. Even as a Nintendo fanboy it took me until the Wind Waker bundle to pick a Wii U up. Depends on if it ends up looking and performing better, has some additions that are NX specific that i want, and yeah on what the NX actually is.

#48 Posted by Lost_Remnant (383 posts) -

The NX is too much of a question mark for me to make an informed decision right now. It will largely depend on what type of software support the NX is going to get, initial price of the console, if it will have Wii U backwards comparability, and if Breath of the Wild is worse than the Wii U version in some noticeable way and not worth paying new console pricing.

I've waited this long for a Wii U, I can wait longer for more firm NX details and a possible price slashing of the Wii U when the NX comes out and it doesn't line up for me in a way that makes me pass on buying it.

#49 Edited by Bill_McNeal (674 posts) -

@lost_remnant said:

The NX is too much of a question mark for me to make an informed decision right now. It will largely depend on what type of software support the NX is going to get, initial price of the console, if it will have Wii U backwards comparability, and if Breath of the Wild is worse than the Wii U version in some noticeable way and not worth paying new console pricing.

I've waited this long for a Wii U, I can wait longer for more firm NX details and a possible price slashing of the Wii U when the NX comes out and it doesn't line up for me in a way that makes me pass on buying it.

Also, if you don't mind buying second-hand, I'm sure people are/going to be dumping their Wii U's & games. So even if retailers don't, you could still pick one up relatively cheaply.

#50 Posted by BabyChooChoo (6742 posts) -

If the NX launches at an affordable price and/or there are other games to play, then I'm getting it for the NX. If not, then...well, Wii U it is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.