Will you play this on the Wii U or nx?

• 86 results
Posted by Nick (873 posts) 9 months, 4 days ago

Poll: Will you play this on the Wii U or nx? (439 votes)

Wii U - the one i currently own 51%
nx - will buy one when it comes out 42%
Wii U - will pick one up for cheap when the nx is released 7%

If you plan on getting this game will it be for the Wii U or the nx? I'll probably buy an nx when it's released.

#51 Posted by Whitestripes09 (766 posts) -

If the NX ends up being something really great, then I will definitely pick that up just to play this game. Right now, I have no insentive to really buy a WiiU. I just can't justify the price for a handful of games that I would definitely get. The 3DS by itself is satisfying enough for whenever I feel like playing something from Nintendo.

#52 Posted by LordAndrew (14601 posts) -

I have a Wii U. I don't have an NX. We don't know what the fuck the NX even is yet. I might get an NX, but not at launch.

#53 Posted by Atwa (1555 posts) -

If the NX is interesting, and has a strong launch lineup, I might get it.

Otherwise I'll play it on the Wii U I already own.

#54 Posted by Spoonman671 (5765 posts) -

I can't even imagine what Nintendo would have to do to convince me to buy a NX after the Wii and Wii U.

#55 Posted by FrodoBaggins (867 posts) -

@spoonman671: were you that unsatisfied with both those systems? Was it lack of games or something else?

#56 Posted by MEATBALL (4231 posts) -

A crazy part of me wants to buy it on both. I'll likely wait and see how things shake out technically. If the NX version has a smoother framerate (I don't mind if it remains at 30, just don't give me any dips) and runs at a higher resolution I'm on board - that's not to say that's what my NX purchase hinges on, though.

#57 Posted by GStats (197 posts) -

Won't buy the NX for a few years, if at all. So definitely Wii U. Wanna play this beast asap.

Unless the NX ends up being incredible that is.

#58 Posted by azulot (231 posts) -

I'm not comfortable with the idea of getting an NX on or near launch. I'd rather just play Zelda on the console I already own.

#59 Posted by UnInvincible (375 posts) -

If the NX even has the potential of being a cool thing and has like one other good game I'm sure I'll pick one up on launch, so probably that. If it initially seems lame I'll just pick up the game for my Wii U.

#60 Posted by MATATAT (1085 posts) -

I'd like to see what the NX is gonna be before I say one way or another.

#61 Edited by NTM (9798 posts) -

Bumping this since I'm curious who else is jumping to the Switch. Plus, I'll add that this poll/thread was made, and the last post was posted before we knew it was called the Switch, or what the console really is. I'll edit previous comment.

#62 Posted by Forcen (2290 posts) -

I wonder how it will work on the NX since you don't have the second screen in your hands unless I'm missing something. Will the Switch version just pause the game when you do stuff on the touchscreen when you're playing on the go?

Or what if you play on your TV on the NX? Will we miss out on some functionality made for the Wii U version since your handheld screen is in the dock?

Kinda want to wait a bit and see what people think of the different versions but I still kind of want to get a Switch at launch.

#63 Posted by Hunkulese (4008 posts) -

I kind of think it's going to be another Twilight Princess thing where the last gen version (version the game was actually developed for) ends up being the better option.

Important Nintendo games don't run like trash so I highly doubt it'll run any better on the Switch, maybe a few small tweaks, and taking away the second screen in a Zelda game is actually a meaningful loss since we've grown accustomed to it since the DS.

Just hoping against hope that they'll release the Mario game for the Wii U as well since there's a pretty good chance it started development as a Wii U game.

#64 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (2692 posts) -

I kind of think it's going to be another Twilight Princess thing where the last gen version (version the game was actually developed for) ends up being the better option.

Important Nintendo games don't run like trash so I highly doubt it'll run any better on the Switch, maybe a few small tweaks, and taking away the second screen in a Zelda game is actually a meaningful loss since we've grown accustomed to it since the DS.

Just hoping against hope that they'll release the Mario game for the Wii U as well since there's a pretty good chance it started development as a Wii U game.

It's worth remembering that the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess was only better because you could play with a regular controller instead of the forced waggle controls on the Wii. The difference in controls between the Switch and Wii U versions will be negligible, if there even is any difference at all.

Also, both the playable E3 Wii U demo and the recent Game Awards Wii U footage showcased a pretty rough frame rate in spots. The brief Switch footage we've seen definitely made it seem smoother, particularly in handling multiple explosions without dropping frames. Considering this and the purported specs of the Switch compared to the Wii U, it seems like a safe bet the Switch version will have better performance than the Wii U version, even if the visual fidelity is the same.

#65 Posted by NTM (9798 posts) -

@hunkulese: I'm actually hoping for the opposite. I really don't want them to release the Mario game on the Wii U, otherwise there's not much reason to get a Switch if all they're doing is putting the same games on both systems. I want some first party exclusives on the Switch, and Mario is a good starting point to get me excited for the Switch. Oh! And I just finished Twilight Princess HD, and really liked it. I've only ever gotten half way through the game, and that was on the GameCube version. It has me more excited for Breath of the Wild.

#66 Edited by Hunkulese (4008 posts) -

@ntm: That's the reason I want it on the Wii U as I don't see much of a reason to buy a Switch. Do I really want to buy a new console just to play Mario, Zelda, Smash, and Kart again? They already did the HD upgrades and I can already play all those games on the tablet.

#67 Edited by NTM (9798 posts) -

@hunkulese: I personally want to move on from the Wii U, so yeah, we have a difference of opinion there I guess. Obviously, it's on Nintendo's part to justify why we should move on though, and I still have yet to see.

Edit - I should say, they do need to do more to justify it, even to me, but I am right now set on getting it regardless. If it gets further to release and they don't really show a reason to get it, then I might change my mind.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
#68 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2951 posts) -

Depends on how shit the Wii U version runs or how much better the Switch version is.

#69 Posted by FrostyRyan (1989 posts) -

Depends on if I'm getting a switch.

Getting a switch depends on if there's a 3D adventure style mario game at launch.

There won't be one, will there...

#70 Edited by Justin258 (14373 posts) -

@hunkulese said:

Would you consider Pokemon Sun an "important" Nintendo game? Because holy shit, there are times where that game's framerate tanks hard. Mostly in the more important story battles and trials and such. Granted, that game is also turn based so it doesn't matter anywhere near as much, but the game still gets so sluggish that navigating menus becomes an exercise in patience.

I think I've posted in here before and my answer remains pretty much the same - depends on what else is available on the Switch and how well Breath of the Wild runs on the Wii U.

#71 Posted by Hunkulese (4008 posts) -

@justin258: I wasn't considering handheld games. And isn't Pokemon pretty much a second party game anyway?

Avatar image for sloppydetective
#72 Posted by SloppyDetective (1013 posts) -

On the latest bombcast both Brad and Jeff stated you could play it on Wii U and that would be fine or you could play the better version on Switch. Is the Switch version really going to be that better though? If you play it docked on a tv it should run better than a Wii U, but how much better? I would assume the Wii U version will let you use the tablet for inventory and map management. I remember this being brought up as a huge plus for every remastered Zelda game on 3ds and Wii U. Zelda is an inventory heavy series and I think the benefit of not needing to pause all the time could out weigh the slight performance increase.

#73 Posted by ToySoldier83 (238 posts) -

On the latest bombcast both Brad and Jeff stated you could play it on Wii U and that would be fine or you could play the better version on Switch. Is the Switch version really going to be that better though? If you play it docked on a tv it should run better than a Wii U, but how much better? I would assume the Wii U version will let you use the tablet for inventory and map management. I remember this being brought up as a huge plus for every remastered Zelda game on 3ds and Wii U. Zelda is an inventory heavy series and I think the benefit of not needing to pause all the time could out weigh the slight performance increase.

I'm as confused as you are why they are already claiming the Switch version to be superior. All we've seen of both have been demos/not the final product.

#74 Posted by InstantRyan (489 posts) -

@sloppydetective: Inventory management and map being on the Gamepad supposedly got removed from the Wii U version.

IGN had some numbers on how the versions compare to each other.

• Both 30 FPS
  • Switch @ 900P/Wii U @ 720P
  • Switch has higher quality environmental sounds: Sound of steps, water, grass, etc.
Avatar image for hippie_genocide
#75 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (1864 posts) -

For the art style Nintendo typically shoots for, I think Wii U games look great and I don't expect BotW to be any different. Wii U version for me.

#76 Posted by FrodoBaggins (867 posts) -

Wii U. Won't buy a switch at launch and most certainly can't wait to play Zelda so yeah, Wii U.

#77 Posted by Justin258 (14373 posts) -

The Switch has nothing going for it at launch except a few extra perks for Breath of the Wild so going to play BotW on the Wii U.

#78 Posted by johnnyspectre (34 posts) -

Wii U for me - the Switch leaves me completely cold. I'm kinda gutted that there's no Special Edition or tablet-based mechanic for the Wii U though. Regardless, it's not a bad game to retire that system on.

#79 Edited by officer_falcon (489 posts) -

When this question was first asked I was all in on getting the Switch version. Now with more information, I'll skip out getting a Switch at launch and will just play this on the Wii U.

#80 Posted by Rasrimra (296 posts) -

I'm a big fan of the Zelda series. I think it's at least in my top 3 series in gaming. So I'm making the Switch.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#81 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (7002 posts) -

I just can't see a reason for me to get a Switch right now; at least until Super Mario Odyssey comes out. I have a Wii U, so I'm just going to pick up Zelda for that.

#82 Posted by Fugoy (89 posts) -

I don't have a Wii U so definitely the Switch.

#83 Posted by billyhoush (1264 posts) -

I'm playing this on Wii U and then buying Switch and Mario for the holidays.

Avatar image for sloppydetective
#84 Posted by SloppyDetective (1013 posts) -

@instantryan: Dang, that's disappointing to find out. But not surprising they would take out the functionality of the Wii U that the Switch doesn't offer.

#85 Posted by fnrslvr (409 posts) -

So uh, I just pulled the trigger on a preorder for the limited edition (Australia doesn't get the premium legendary edition) of the game on Switch. Guess that means I have to get a Switch at launch.

#86 Posted by LeStephan (778 posts) -

Ditto

When this question was first asked I was all in on getting the Switch version. Now with more information, I'll skip out getting a Switch at launch and will just play this on the Wii U.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.