Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 03, 2017

The first HD installment of the Zelda series developed for the Wii U and Nintendo Switch that returns to the open-world design of the original NES title, with a focus on free exploration of a large scale environment as well as dangerous enemies.

Wouldn't This Be A Good Game For Nintendo to Start Proper Achievements?

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Skinky

Not some lame in-game feature, which is what we've seen up to now, but proper achievements displayed on your Nintendo profile. An open world Zelda game designed with emergent/chain reaction gameplay in mind, with what appears to be many silly discoverables, is crying out for a proper achievement system!.

If you can kill the final boss in the game from the very start, surely that's worthy of an achievement?. But this is Nintendo.

Will this happen?

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Maybe? That could be cool. However, the probably with achievements is as soon as they are made available, people look them up and just do that. I feel like people experiment a lot less because they think that if there isn't an achievement for it (and there are for other things) then it's not worth doing.

Nevertheless, I think this is less a question about this particular Zelda game, and more a question of whether the NX should have an in-built achievement system (because they aren't going to add it to the WiiU library at this point).

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, they have been reworking My Nintendo, or whatever they call it these days(?), and that will be in place for all their platforms. Of course it would not happen for games gone, but it could be for future titles.

I don't think developers would be too happy if they didn't make this inclusion again. Fact is achievements can add good replay value to software.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

Nintendo has traditionally been pretty anti-achievement in the past, but I'd love to see them shift that stance going forward with NX. They're always going to be a slightly divisive topic, but I'm all for them for a variety of reasons - encouraging repeat playthroughs or unusual playstyles, suggesting hidden secrets, rewarding mastery of game systems, letting me easily see what my friends have done in a game rather than having to directly question them about each part, and so on...

Dhutch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad Nintendo hasn't taken on the xbox-ps version of achievements. If a game wants to put up some unique challenges that are recorded somewhere, that's absolutely great and I support that, but the every-game mandate is certainly not perfect. Some games use achievements well, some not so much - they shouldn't be required to shoe-horn them in if it's not the right game for it / not the intent of the game.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who played games on PC most of last generation I never really cared about achievements. As long as points/trophys/stamps arent the only reward for completing challenges i'm all for it though.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Achievements are uninteresting as hell to me, Nintendo haven't started yet so I really don't see a reason to do it now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm completely indifferent to achievements/trophies.

I guess some players prefer having them to get them more motivated to do certain things in the game. For me however, I like being able to do whatever I want. Exploring The Breath of the Wild is what I want to do, and finding out absolutely everything I can about that game is going to be super fun.

Beyond_Recall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Achievements are dumb and have always been dumb. They can be designed effectively, of course, but they perpetually incentivize creative laziness by promising support for substandard experiences via a shallow yet ubiquitous meta-reward loop. There's no turning back for Microsoft and Sony at this point, but Nintendo can and should continue to insist that games be enjoyable on their own terms. They shouldn't give themselves and others an ever-present opportunity to mask poor quality with Zynga-level, watch-the-numbers-go-up rewards.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, they won't and don't need to, it's a Zelda game. Everything doable in it will be done by some people, achievements or not.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If achievements lead to rewards in game, or points to use on My Nintendo, Miitomo etc, aside from simply making your gaming achievements public, that would be cool.

I doubt Nintendo would copy what the others are doing, I think they'd want to put their own spin on things.

n00bs7ay3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would definitely love to see what Nintendo would do with an achievement/trophy-like system. I don't know that they have any interest in doing one (if they did you would think we would have seen it by now) so I am not exactly optimistic about it.

SnowyPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do people need "Achievements" to feel as if they have achieved something?

Did you enjoy the game? If yes then that is achievement enough.

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised anyone out there still cares about achievements.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snowypliskin:

I suppose the very same reason the had scoreboards on Space Invaders in the 70s. Proving level of mastery and knowledge of a game among friends.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would definitely love to see what Nintendo would do with an achievement/trophy-like system. I don't know that they have any interest in doing one (if they did you would think we would have seen it by now) so I am not exactly optimistic about it.

There are certainly studios at Nintendo that care about achievements - for instance, Monolith Soft's Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X have the most extensive and rewarding achievement systems in any game I have ever played. The Super Smash Bros. games also have an achievement-like rewards system. Nintendo seems more set on only putting achievements in games the developers feel it adds to, rather than forcing it across the board.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smash Bros Wii had excellent Nintendo-like achievements, I thought they went over the top in fact. Something similar should happen with this also, in game and out. Achievements and desirable awards like those seen in Smash Bros would be what I'd like to see.

Themes, rotatable character models, concept artwork, Zelda Team interviews, everything possible nowadays.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I really like how A Link Between Worlds they set up Streetpass Challenges through the Dark Link fights. And how it showed on players profiles how many out of 50 they did.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sahalarious

Achievements per se i honestly dont want, but the idea of some persistent console wide app that tracks your accomplishments could be cool. Make the entire OS an animal crossing town that other games unlock physical trophies or items for! something fun, rather than just chasing another number bump award. Remember the xbox live arcade that was an actual acrade you'd walk around? Thought that was so sick, want more things like that.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Isn't the achievment fad all the way over now? Seems like an absurdly late addition. I think it'd just make Nintendo look even more out of touch than usual.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Couldn't really be less interested in Nintendo going down that path, but I wouldn't mind if Breath Of The Wild had a whole bunch of unnecessarily granular stat tracking. I enjoy when games track dumb stats.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Achievements? what year is this?

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@y2ken said:

Nintendo has traditionally been pretty anti-achievement in the past

Yes and yes more so publicly. But Xenoblade Chronicles had achievements. I get their reservations. It is carrot on a stick gaming but sometimes they're alright.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.