Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 03, 2017

The first HD installment of the Zelda series developed for the Wii U and Nintendo Switch that returns to the open-world design of the original NES title, with a focus on free exploration of a large scale environment as well as dangerous enemies.

Zelda Breath of the Wild - Game Awards trailer

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

Guessing you can transfer your spirit or something to Zelda or female Link. I'm thinking Zelda though. Or maybe I'm just looking into it too much.

And Nausicaa looking villages.

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By dafdiego777

I didn't get that from the trailer. I have a feeling it's just a more active Zelda (a la Tetra).

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It just looked like it was showing Zelda to me.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks great. The art style is giving me major flashbacks to the 2008 Prince of Persia, which was absolutely fantastic.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dafdiego777:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm getting a "Link deactivated" vibe from this shot:

No Caption Provided

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Have they confirmed who's scoring this game yet? It totally sounds like a Joe Hisaishi joint.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you see the game though? Looks good gameplay wise, but the frame rate looked bad. I'm sure it'll be fixed by the final release, but dang, that wasn't good looking.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@aegon: I mean, Princess Zelda is royalty so I imagine he's paying respect by kneeling down.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Further confirmation that I can almost never notice a bad frame rate. Looked fine to me.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan_citi said:

@aegon: I mean, Princess Zelda is royalty so I imagine he's paying respect by kneeling down.

You're probably right.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fnrslvr: It was fine in the trailer talked about in this thread, but the gameplay when they showed it looked bad (I mean, the frame rate, not the gameplay), perhaps that's still what you're talking about though.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On that illustration with the castle and the robots, that dude in front of the castle is totally OoT-Ganon, right?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

No idea where people are getting the whole playable female Link thing from. Zelda maybe, sure, but what looks like a cutscene of her (presumably her) walking and then her (presumably her) making a fist seems like a long way from "you can play as her."

And goddamn this game looks phenomenal.

flatblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Listen, I know y'all really like Zelda but..I can't be the only one who thought that whole gameplay demo looked iffy at best.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm:Yeah, I was talking about the whole thing, combat and all.

I mean, okay, if it were actual fighting game combat we were talking about, I'd care about getting a solid 60. But that's because frames are the unit of time in which fighting games are measured. I am very keenly aware of the difference between 1-, 2- and 3-frame links (fuck 1-frame links), I put a lot of effort into generating and exploiting frame advantage wherever I can, I want to see the very first tell of an overhead as soon as possible, etc. That intricate focus on frames probably makes me a lot more aware of the game's frame rate. But I really don't notice or care about framerate during the winning simulation play that is typical of fake action-adventure combat.

@theht: I kinda got a fem-Link vibe from the fact that she's wearing the same tunic as Link, and also from her hair being basically the same colour. I wouldn't say I'm convinced that it's happening yet though, even though I think Nintendo should just do it.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If that is Zelda, I kinda doubt she's a princess this time around (given the apparent state of the world), so that would explain her clothing style.

I noticed the framerate too. They were playing on a Wii U. But also it seemed a bit like the framerate of the live shot (of Bill and Nate on the couch) was also bad so it could just be a case of a bad conversion between taping the thing, compositing, and sending it to the show.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

No idea where people are getting the whole playable female Link thing from. Zelda maybe, sure, but what looks like a cutscene of her (presumably her) walking and then her (presumably her) making a fist seems like a long way from "you can play as her."

And goddamn this game looks phenomenal.

I agree that it's a stretch to jump to some of these conclusions, but at the same time, Nintendo has acknowledged that a lot of people want a female incarnation of THE HERO OF TIME™. It's Nintendo's prerogative whether of not they think that's the right thing to do with their character, but they'd have to know that these teases of a female figure in a similar tunic etc to Link would make people think draw the conclusion that that might be happening. So if the end result is that there is, in fact, no controllable female, whether it be lady Link or Zelda or whatever, that would make this tease feel misguided.

Anyway, still really excited for this! Just needs some of that good, good optimisation work and it'll be golden. One more reason to think that my lovely Wii U is obsolescent before its time... At least give me a few months of side-by-side support with the Switch, Ninty :(

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aegon

I just realized that Link has the Master Sword when he's bowing to Zelda. Not sure if that's significant. I'm guessing you won't need to craft new weapons at that stage of the game. Unless...you play as another character. Ha, I know it's a weak connection, but I'm just trying to play detective a little before the analysis videos come out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah the framerate looked rough in parts, like when Link was riding Epona and dodging those lasers.

Game looks good though. Man it really makes me consider getting a Switch.
    What if the Zelda bit at the end is hinting at some co-op mode? Eh, maybe not.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always find it hard to compare framerates unless I'm actually controlling the thing (and then it becomes obvious), but maybe this version of the gameplay demo shows it a little better? For those who didn't watch the show, this was shown during the awards, while the video from OP was shown during the "pre-show" (whatever that means...).

The jump cuts in this made it worse IMHO.

Loading Video...

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Digging the painterly/cel shaded look they're going for.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game looks absolutely "breath" taking.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Not sure this is something I really want to play, but I love the music in that trailer.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kcin

This game looks incredible, but yeah that framerate is worrying me. I noticed it in the trailer, and now seeing the gameplay footage it's definitely there. Not long before this thing comes out. Hopefully the Switch version performs better.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time I see this game it looks better. I'm very very interested in this.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#26  Edited By ArbitraryWater

This game continues to look incredibly promising, but that frame rate should definitely be better in the final game.

For as much as I am on the "they should let you play as a lady version of Link or Zelda" train, I really don't think that's going to happen. Would love to be proven wrong.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

There are a few shots in that trailer that look kind of "dark world"-ish or whatever, something that Zelda games have done a few times before. It would be pretty cool if you had to play as Zelda in some kind of mirror world and the game involved some GTA V-esque protagonist switching.

But that's just me thinking about what might be cool, not speculation or anything like that.

As far as framerate goes... yeah, it looks kinda dicey. What I don't see many people mentioning, though, is just how aliased that trailer looks. I mean, it still looks fantastic as far as I'm concerned, but there are a lot of far away and wide-angle shots in that thing and quite a few of them could use some anti-aliasing.

I really hope they either get the Wii U version up to the standards of their other first party games in terms of performance or make sure the Switch version looks and runs way better. This game has a gorgeous art style that I can't wait to dive into, don't fuck it up Nintendo.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it's too on the nose, but being able to /switch/ between Link & Zelda kinda fits for a Nintendo Switch

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.