Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Apr 27, 2000

The follow-up to Ocarina of Time sees the series stalwart Link embark on a journey to save the land of Termina from being crushed by the moon in three days. To defeat the Skull Kid, Link has to live the same three days over and over again.

It's coming, who's excited?

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I'll be honest, I'm firmly in the same boat as Patrick when it comes to Majora's mask. It's the best Zelda in my opinion. Taken together with Ocarina, it's a delicious slice of Zelda layer cake, and if the attention to detail is the same as it was in OoT 3D it should be get to play it again. What do you guys think? Excited? I know MM is divisive...

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I've never played it, but I will probably get it at some point to check it out

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Didn't finish it or like it when it came out on N64. However, I'm willing to give it another try and am excited for this to come out.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I've never played it but its a day one for me. 3D Zelda is good but I prefer the 2D ones better.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@sodapop7: yeah, that's the feeling I get from most people. To be honest I think that's the best view to have on MM, I love it, but I free admit it's not for everyone.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I only went through it once but I'm very excited to revisit it. Will be interesting to see if the tone of the game holds up!

Avatar image for physicalscience
    physicalscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I bought OoT for the 3ds when it came out because I have literally never played a zelda game and I had heard this was the best. Couldn't get into it and ended up re-selling it so I won't be buying this one. I guess I'm just not a zelda guy.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Corevi
    @physicalscience said:

I bought OoT for the 3ds when it came out because I have literally never played a zelda game and I had heard this was the best. Couldn't get into it and ended up re-selling it so I won't be buying this one. I guess I'm just not a zelda guy.

Try a newer one. Wind Waker is absolutely beautiful and Skyward Sword is the first and only game to justify motion controls.

The N64 games suffer from an overwhelmingly nostalgic fanbase that refuses to accept that they have aged terribly.

Avatar image for physicalscience
    physicalscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:
    @physicalscience said:

Try a newer one. Wind Waker is a beautiful game and Skyward Sword is the first game to justify motion controls.

The N64 games suffer from an overwhelmingly nostalgic fanbase that refuses to accept that they have aged terribly.

I have thought about buying the Wind Waker HD thing when I get a Wii U later this year, I think you might be right. I also might grab that newer zelda game for the 3ds.

Olqavtoras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm very excited to play it! Borrowed it from a friend many years ago but never finished it, so it'll be fun to finally do that now.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By mbradley1992

I loved OOT. It was incredible. I never played Majora's Mask, with games being so expensive and all, but I'm excited to get a second chance to play it. I already pre-ordered it.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I cannot wait. I'll finally beat it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#13  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Maybe I will actually bother to finish the game this time!

Macka1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was excited already, but watching the MM run on AGDQ this year got me even more pumped. Bunny-ears chicken-gliding here I come!

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have tried so hard to like Zelda, as a kid and an adult. I just...I don't get them, I've always found them a bit dull.

So...not me! I'm looking forward to seeing how much better it looks than the N64 though.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Haven't played it since it came out, really. Looking forward to playing through it again and remembering why I liked it so much. If it's as sharp as the OoT remake, it will likely be one of my favorite games for quite some time.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Evilsbane

@corevi said:

That is insane, as someone who hasn't even bought a Nintendo system since the N64 (Aka not insane fanboy) after going back to it on the 3DS it holds up Incredibly well. The redone art and graphics, the music, Z targeting, bosses, characters it is an awesome game and doubly awesome and impressive being on a handheld system running in full 3D.

But on topic I am...tepid about the 3DS Majora's Mask release, OoT was a great game and I remember the moment I started playing MM I knew it wasn't going to hold a candle to OoT. It feels and looks rushed, reused assets and characters make up the entire game. The timer mechanic is not fun I hate being timed but I have enjoyed games that use it (Dead Rising) if you don't talk to that stupid fucking scarecrow it makes the game a nightmare and that isn't players fault for "not getting it".

I also went back and tried to play it in the best conditions, emulation with the graphics pumped while using a 360 controller I knew where and how to get the scarecrow song to slow and speed up time. And frankly I couldn't stand it the mask mechanic should be super fun, but it just isn't when the world your using it in feels like a copy paste. The main town is confusing and ugly, the story along with its characters are sad, dark and a little childish I understand its supposed to be a "dream" the start of the game makes it very apparent something is "off" but it just feels out of place.

The dungeons are some of the worst in the entire series add a timer on top of that ...bleh, not to mention the HUGE potential to run around for 3 "days" and miss something at the start of it and you just have to do it all over again, the first time that happens in a dungeon and I lose all will to continue unless you wanna play with a guide (What is the point). Its like Groundhog day the video game except instead of watching a classic film YOU are controlling Bill Murray in this hellish landscape of rinse and repeat.

I just can't find the "best Zelda game" under a laundry list of issues. Hopefully the 3DS remake smooths out the experience for new players because its a mess, I remember being in that town for so so long...

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I'm not going to play it any time soon, but I am excited for other people to play it! Sweet game. Curious how younger players will enjoy it considering its somewhat bizarre approach to progression. Remember the first time the world ended I was totally just "wha?? how?".

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What? Why would anybody get excited for good video games? I'm confused.

@corevi: You don't think the Mario Galaxy games justify motion controls?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Corevi
    @frostyryan said:

@corevi: You don't think the Mario Galaxy games justify motion controls?

Not at all. They could easily be played with a standard controller. In fact I have done exactly that by emulating it and binding motion control to the right stick.

Same with No More Heroes (which was actually done in the PS3 version).

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to it, it's the one Zelda game I've been meaning to play but have never gotten around to doing it. When I actually tried to late last year I was either experiencing the N64 version freezing on me and losing a good amount of progress due to that flawed save system, the Wii VC version which looks sharp and crystal clear compared to the N64 version but has no rumble which is a real bummer when trying to find the secrets or the GC version which had sound issues and was known to freeze but at least has rumble.

I enjoyed OoT 3DS and the changes they made there so I imagine I'll have a good time with it especially since I like doing the side quests in a Zelda game and MM places emphasis on that.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People keep talking about this game to the point where I've tried to play it 3 times over, but I never make it through the first dungeon. It's obviously a great game, I just can't have any fun playing it. At all.

Despite knowing that, I was totally considering buying it anyway earlier today because of people hyping it up again recently.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: I see what you're saying. I guess i confused "justify" with "done right" and Mario Galaxy's motion controls/pointer controls were really well done in that game to me. But no not completely justified I guess.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm happy it's coming out, and I'll definitely get it day one, but to be honest, my hype meter for it is pretty low. Despite never completing it, I did like Majora's Mask quite a bit, though I was always annoyed by the time limit and awkward save system.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah I first played it on 3DS. How far did you get through it? I found it really dull in the first few hours but got into it after a while. It doesn't hold your hand much in telling you what to do and where to go. I kinda found that frustrating.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.