Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Apr 27, 2000

The follow-up to Ocarina of Time sees the series stalwart Link embark on a journey to save the land of Termina from being crushed by the moon in three days. To defeat the Skull Kid, Link has to live the same three days over and over again.

Majora's Mask Was The Result Of An Argument

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided

Majora's Mask was the result of an argument between Eiji Aonuma and Miyamoto in the late 90's. Apparently, Aonuma-san was unhappy with the direction the Zelda franchise was going in (he was simply a dungeon designer back then)  and had no wish to work on Ocarina of Time: Master Quest, which Miyamoto had given the go ahead for. As a result of the apprehension shown by Aonuma-san, Shigeru Miyamoto issued a challenge - take charge of a team and create a new Zelda game in just one year. If achieved, then none of the members would have to be involved in the Master Quest title. 

Iwata Asks: 

"So you're saying The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask was the result of your team picking up the gauntlet he'd thrown down?" 

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata. 

"Yes. That was the deal. We were supposed to make its sequel in a year. At first, we had absolutely no idea what sort of thing we were supposed to make, and we just kept expanding our plans. The 'Three-Day System,' the idea of a compact world to be played over and over again, came down from Miyamoto-san and one other director, [Yoshiaki] Koizumi-san. We added that to the mix, and then, finally, we saw the full substance of a The Legend of Zelda game we could make in one year." 

- Eiji Aonuma, Producer of The Legend of Zelda series. 

"I feel as though, back then, we were given a glimpse of the concept that 'Deep, compact play is one form of the games of the future.' In that sense, as a product, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask was a big turning point for Nintendo. That said, I had no idea it was the result of an argument." 

- Satoru Iwata.     

Thanks to Gamasutra
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Evilsbane

I did not like Majora's Mask at all and it was all because of the time limit I hate being timed, and that was the entire game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#3  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Hmmm.... That's actually very interesting. Of course, it still doesn't change the fact that I probably will never finish Majora's Mask. That game has issues.

DewRequired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By DewRequired

Haha that's really cool, I actually loved Majora's Mask. Just under OoT in my favorite games of all time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually finished that game. It was a pain in the ass, and it had one of the most dreadful endings in Zelda history. I HATED the dark tone, and the ending followed suit with the tone; depressing, and just plain unsatisfying.

gexecuter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By gexecuter

Majora's mask was awesome and what made it stand out was it's uniqueness so i am a bit surprised that it's creation was the result of a short development time.

liquidben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By liquidben

IMHO, Majora's Mask was not only one of the best Zelda's and one of the most unique and clever games I've played. I hope the Zelda team never gives up on trying new and novel things with the series.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By clubsandwich

This isi my favorite Zelda. :D

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By damswedon

i might be in the minority but Majora's mask is my favorite Legend of Zelda game.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Clinkz
    @damswedon said:

" i might be in the minority but Majora's mask is my favorite Legend of Zelda game. "

So true. I hate the people who are like "zOMG I AM TIMEZD I CAN'T DO THIS IT NO LIKE OCARINA O TIME1!!"

Seriously, it's my favorite Zelda. I loved all the others but simply put, collecting the masks in this game was one of the most fun moments of my life from bumming around in the hotel waiting for nightfall to having a drink in the milk bar helping them out with their shows. The dark tone and music were also amazing. Top notch work and people who don't at least acknowledge this most innovative title in the Zelda series surely haven't finished it.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By damswedon
    @Clinkz: i've always wondered what the state of the Legend of Zelda series would of been if Nintendo decided to scrap the original style and instead worked on bettering the Majora's mask formula. maybe the series wouldn't be in the situation it is in now, because now it seems like the series is on the verge of being demoted to handhelds only.
    Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Clinkz
    @damswedon: I agree and its a shame. I hope they come out with something new and great to put on consoles.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By CL60

I really hated the time limit.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Goly
    @Evilsbane said:
    " I did not like Majora's Mask at all and it was all because of the time limit I hate being timed, and that was the entire game. "
    word, games should be about taking your time not being all stressed about it, particularly zelda games.
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Wow thats awesome. I absolutely loved Majoras Mask more than Ocarina of Time.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#16  Edited By Symphony
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " Hmmm.... That's actually very interesting. Of course, it still doesn't change the fact that I probably will never finish Majora's Mask. That game has issues. "
    This.

@Evilsbane said:
    " I did not like Majora's Mask at all and it was all because of the time limit I hate being timed, and that was the entire game. "

And this. 
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By apathylad

I liked Majora's Mask, although with the time system you really needed a guide to figure everything out. Still, I admired the different direction they took with the story, and I still would argue that MM was the darkest Zelda to date.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Clinkz: I can't finish it, I was totally ready to play that game I was down with the crazy story line even though I just wanted a sequel to OOT I was still happy it was a new Zelda...but then the Time limit appeared over Links head like a symbol of doom and I knew after playing the game for only an hour that I was done with it, I cannot stand being rushed and when I figured out that this was the entire game I said "To Hell with you!" and have never touched it again, if anyone ever modded it for me to get rid of that One fact I would play it, but Fuck time limits for more than small mini-games.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ZenaxPure

That is crazy to think one of the more original Zelda games came from some of challenge. That needs to happen again imo to see what interesting title they could come up with.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Milkman

Majora's Mask's reaction seems to either be "I hated the time limit" or "It's my favorite Zelda because I'm different and being different is cool".

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Pie

My favourite zelda game aswell as one of my favourite games ever

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I think Majora's Mask was excellent. I'm glad he rose to the challenge.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By Hamst3r

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Clinkz
    @Evilsbane You know you can play an ocarina song and manipulate time right? You can speed it up, slow it down, or skip completely. There are ways to get passed the time man once you get used to it, its actually cool. I never felt rushed. I'm not forcing you by any means but if you ever get the chance, give it another chance if you want too.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By Claude

I never played the NES or SNES versions of Zelda, but then came Ocarina of Time... loved it. And for something completely different, Majora's Mask... loved it more. So close and yet so far.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By DarkShaper

I always loved the style of   Majora's Mask but not so much the game play. I could never get any where in it, but that might just be because I was peaty young when I played it.

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
    Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine
    @Clinkz said:
    " @Evilsbane You know you can play an ocarina song and manipulate time right? You can speed it up, slow it down, or skip completely. There are ways to get passed the time man once you get used to it, its actually cool. I never felt rushed. I'm not forcing you by any means but if you ever get the chance, give it another chance if you want too. "

Yes, listen to this man! 

There was no time limit considering Link could straight up OPEN UP A TIME WARP AND GO BACK IN TIME!
    Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Synthballs

I"m not a giant fan of this game but, I think the Iwata Asks are all pretty awesome.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By buzz_clik

Majora's Mask was one of those games that I had to make myself push through the earlier stages, but am glad I did. Once I got into the groove of what it was trying to get me to do, I couldn't put the damn thing down and ended up having a very rewarding, clever and engrossing experience. See also: Mass Effect.

Oh, and more on topic, that's great that it came about that way. It could have resulted in an egg-on-face disaster, but Eiji Aonuma backed it up brilliantly.

En3rJessy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By En3rJessy
    @Linkyshinks: idk what people are talking about. Majora's Mask was an awesome game, even though it gets kinda repetitive. When u get all masks and all side quests done u have that very accomplished feeling, or maybe its just me. 
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By wefwefasdf

I haven't played it... I probably should when I have the chance.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#32  Edited By Little_Socrates

Majora's Mask is also my favorite, largely to do with the sidequests but also due to the fact that the dungeon designs were absolutely excellent. The Woodfall and Snowhead temples were absurdly good, as were the Deku Palace and the Gerudo fortress. And the bosses were some of my favorites in the franchise: Odolwa and Goht were insanely fun, ranking up there with Koume and Kotake, Volvagia, and Phantom Ganon. 

That said, I lost my original copy while I was making my way towards the Stone Tower, so I never completed the game. However, I had almost all of the masks (missing only the Giant's Mask and the Fierce Deity, I think) and I must've put at least thirty-five hours into it. 

I'll probably go back and buy that game again. :D

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Little_Socrates: I thought the Giant's Mask was required to beat the fourth dungeon...
    Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#34  Edited By Little_Socrates
    @SuperSecretAgenda: I'm pretty sure you get it IN the fourth dungeon. I was still in the canyon, though, I never made it to the final dungeon.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ryanwho

So apparently Miyamoto had nothing to do with the best Zelda game. Funny. 
    The only complaint that has any validity, really, is the game is kind of short. And by short, I mean I didn't want it to be over yet.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#36  Edited By Hailinel
    @ryanwho said:
    " So apparently Miyamoto had nothing to do with the best Zelda game. Funny. The only complaint that has any validity, really, is the game is kind of short. And by short, I mean I didn't want it to be over yet. "
    Actually, after Majora's Mask, Miyamoto gave Aonuma more control over the Zelda series as a whole.  Aside from Miyamoto's overseeing input, the series is pretty much in Aonuma's hands now.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ryanwho

That dude doesn't get enough credit. I would hate to be working on a game that a "rockstar" happened to be tangentially involved with because they always end up getting, like, all the credit.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I really liked Majora's Mask. The story is great, and my favorite aspect the diary or whatever that kept track of villagers and their side quests was an awesome addiction. In terms of npc's, MM did a great job of fleshing alot of the townsfolk out. You actually knew the town if you took the time to do all the sidequests, and for me I actually wanted to save them all. I guess it really depended on how much time you put into the game to actually realize how deep and developed the world you were in was.

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Little_Socrates said:
    " @SuperSecretAgenda: I'm pretty sure you get it IN the fourth dungeon. I was still in the canyon, though, I never made it to the final dungeon. "
    Ah. That makes more sense. 

And the fourth dungeon is kindof the final dungeon. There's a couple of challenges afterwards to get the Deity's mask, and then the last boss.
    Avatar image for dahmers_beeatch
    dahmers_beeatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By dahmers_beeatch

That was a very interesting bit trivia, on this devilishly frustrating but superbly original and haunting game.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Rockdalf

This was a great game, glad to hear it came from an interesting background.  Easily my favorite of the series, and I hate time restraint games (looking at you Dead Rising).  This game just did it right.  Played it when it came out, after beating OoT and definitely dug the vibe much more, really dark and weird.

That's not saying OoT wasn't epic by it's own right.

Avatar image for mikazukinoyaiba
    Mikazukinoyaiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mikazukinoyaiba
    @Milkman said:
    " Majora's Mask's reaction seems to either be "I hated the time limit" or "It's my favorite Zelda because I'm different and being different is cool". "
    Or maybe people love it not to be contrarians but because getting a fresh and new experience is preferred over the formulic same song and dance that Ocarina of Time is? 

Honestly, mostly hardcore OoT fans hate Majora's Mask and Wind Waker because it wasn't Ocarina of Time all over again, then we got Twilight Princess (which you asked for) and still didn't like it. 
    If you want to play Ocarina of Time, play Ocarina of Time the rest of us are content with an evolving, more story-depth, darker, and more challenging Zelda. 

Majora's Mask remains the best Zelda game, followed only by Link's Awakening, Oracles, and Wind Waker.
    Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Echo

I'm siding with the Majora's Mask people. While Majora's Mask isn't a true classic like Ocarina of Time, I still enjoyed it far more. People hated the sidequests, but it added so much to the realised world. There were so many little things you could find and discover in Clock Town and all these residents that told a story that you just couldn't find in Hyrule Castle's pre-rendered backgrounds. To each their own.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#44  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Year old topic bump ahoy!

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By JasonR86

That's kind of a cool way to handle a business argument.  A year seems like a short time but I've never been a game developer so I don't know that for fact.  That's an example of two professionals working out a problem in a kind of cool way.  I think if they had failed that year of wasted talent and pay wouldn't have been so cool but, because it did, it makes Miyamoto seem really smart by challenging his team.  I imagine he must have felt that the team could handle that challenge and make a game otherwise this whole thing would have been a business nightmare.

It's no wonder I saw so many shared assets between Ocarina and Majora.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Pinworm45

I hated that game. Next time, don't make challenges.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.