Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 21, 1998

The first 3D Legend of Zelda game, Ocarina of Time was created for the Nintendo 64 in 1998 and introduced innovative mechanics such as Z-targeting as well as many of the series' other trademarks. It has frequently been ranked as the greatest game of all time by many publications.

Anyone know why this game's price has skyrocketed?

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm seeing it go for $60 minimum online, and that's often just the cart. Has Nintendo stopped making it, or just a temporary shortage? I know first-party Nintendo games usually stay high in value, but going above what it cost originally at retail is kind of silly.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

Nintendo just seems to have a problem with not printing enough games. Go check out the prices for new Wii copies of Xenoblade Chronicle and the Metroid Prime Collection. Maybe buy it digitally?

tyty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By tyty

It's sold out most places in America, and with Majoras Mask out a lot more attention is on it. Us Canadians can still pick it up though. I'd say it's just temporary, untill nintendo does another print.

FearMyFlop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I understand, hackers are using this game to hack into the New Nintendo 3DS. Something about the cart is allowing them to break the system open. I had a guy beg me for a copy of it and I ended up selling it for $25 ( It used to cost 29.99) and when I sold it to him I asked why he wanted to buy it at that price and he told me all about what's going on. You definitely won't find it on store shelves right now.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@fearmyflop: Really? It would be cool to play GBA games on my 3DS, wonder if that would be possible right now.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fearmyflop: Can you offer a vague explanation of how this is done? A quick google search is bringing me no results

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

@slaps2 said:

Nintendo just seems to have a problem with not printing enough games. Go check out the prices for new Wii copies of Xenoblade Chronicle and the Metroid Prime Collection. Maybe buy it digitally?

Those two games are actually exceptions. Xenoblade was only sold by Gamestop in the US, plus Nintendo didn't really want to bring it over in the first place. Metroid Prime Collection was always meant to be a collector's type thing with not a lot of copies out there.

When it comes to 3DS games, it does just seem that Nintendo isn't printing as many games as they should. The OoT thing may be due to the original poor sales of the 3DS, meaning they didn't feel like printing a ton of copies. It is available digitally for its original price (or maybe a little cheaper?), so that seems like the best option.

katimanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are currently 39.99 at amazon canada but they have a three week shipping wait time

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004XH1M12?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Haruko

The crack for the 3ds works by using an exploit that is trigger by dumping a hacked save file onto the Ocarina cart by means of a device like a cyber savebank or other devices. Once the hacked save file is on the cart its simply a matter of loading the save then allowing the new flashcart (3DSTWO Supercard which will be released at the end of the month) by modifying the cios on the 3ds.

Edit: Also note that not all copies of the cart will work only certain runs works.

dewin50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You live in the US? Here in Sweden it still about 30$ as it was on launch.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, there's always the Eshop....

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone bought majora's mask, realised the game is shit, then went and bought ocarina of time!

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Nintendo doesn't fucking print enough of anything that isn't Mario. Whether this is some genius business move or just plain ol' obliviousness, I'll never know, but it sure it pretty fucking annoying when you're like "I would like to purchase this NIntendo game that isn't even remotely old!" and then every where you look, it's way more expensive than it should be.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It is out of print. Nintendo is not making anymore supply of it.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vrikk

It is out of print. Nintendo is not making anymore supply of it.

Can anyone confirm if this is true? I find it hard that Nintendo isn't going to make any more of this game. At best, I would hope this is a temporary price spike.

I remember when Radiant Historia was going for a lot of money. Now you can get the game new for $20.

chalkcharmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supply/demand probably.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This reminds me of when I played $120 for Xenoblade...urgh.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.