Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 21, 1998

The first 3D Legend of Zelda game, Ocarina of Time was created for the Nintendo 64 in 1998 and introduced innovative mechanics such as Z-targeting as well as many of the series' other trademarks. It has frequently been ranked as the greatest game of all time by many publications.

Lost in Time: I Actually Finished Ocarina Of Time!

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Edited By L33tfella_H

Before i start, i'm gonna predict what the responses are gonna be like :

''lolwut/lulwut/lolwet/lolweiner/any variation''
    ''Fucking Noob, Took you long enough lol''
    ''oh wow dood ur not evn a real gamer how u nt fish zelda till now?!!''
    ''Zelda is Overrated''
    ''Nintendo is Overrated''
    ''[Insert Other Zelda Title] is better''
    ''your blog is shit compared to my blog''

So with that out of the way (P.S i know atleast one of the people who's gonna end up looking at this will have one of the above thoughts in his head, don't deny it now ;] ), let's begin.

Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time

Don't know how many of you have maybe heard of this super obscure game (it's totally not obscure, just to make it clear for those who have no idea of the concept of satire), but i started playing through it again recently. I was listening to some tunes when i was reminded of OoT, and i decided to bring a TV into my room with my GC, and play Ocarina of Time on the bonus disc i got with Wind Waker. I have played the game before, but i believe it was in like 2001-2002 and i made it past the Fire Temple as adult link, but for some reason i just kinda stopped.

The game is awesome, but it's not perfect. However, perfection in anything, much less a video game is probably impossible to find, and i'd consider Ocarina Of Time one of the best games of all time, as a game itself, and for the influence it had for games afterwards. Infact, it's kinda funny how 1998 was this big turning point for video games, where games could be 'cinematic'. On the PC side we had Half-Life and Grim Fandango, on the Playstation we had Metal Gear Solid and Xenogears and finally on the N64 we had The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time. Big games which as we all know, have had a huge impact on gaming, as you've all either played one or more of these games, or successors to them, literally, or spiritually.

There's no point in me talking much about the game, but i will mention the 'big' things about that game that i liked : 
    • The exploration/Collection aspect of the game is amazingly fun, by the time i had finished the game, i had about 70 golden skulltulas and almost every item you could collect by the end of the game (i didn't have the 50 arrow quiver or the bigger bomb bags).
    • The fishing minigame alone is something i could see myself booting the game up for, just to play it (it took me like 4-5 minutes to get that 19 pounder!).
    • As far as dungeons went, my favourites were probably the Shadow Temple and the Spirit Temple.
    • Traveling the overworld has this almost tranquil feeling at times, with the nice music setting the pace, riding on your horse, just kicking back, looking for Big Poes to hunt down and bottle up.
    • The music, which is probably the most key part of the game, is simply amazing and albeit it sounds a bit basic on the N64 sound chip, it had me humming and chiming along to it for most of the game.

Now for the things i didn't so much like :
    • The Water Temple alone is a huge headache for me. It's not so much 'difficult' as someone pointed out to me, but it's more that you have to visit the menu alot in the dungeon, and i don't know if this is the case with the N64 version, but on the GC disc which just runs the game in an emulator basically, it takes like a second to get into a menu, then i gotta equip/un-equip the boots, then i go out of the menu, which takes about a second to load. It's just super annoying, and from what i hear, other Zelda games have tweaked it so you can have equipment on a toggle button just like items.
    • The Gerudo Fortress. If There ever was a game that DID NOT NEED a stealth section, it's this game. It's the prime example of why games where stealth is your only option, and 'one-strike-your-out' logic applies, are not fun. Now i know there's a stealth section in Zelda's castle near the beggining, but it was a bit more manageable and shorter compared to this.
    • Some of the Control is a bit off, it's one of those games that reminds you why having camera control is taken as such a given these days (the developers have said they didn't want to really give you much camera control for 'cinematic' reasons) and there are times where i messed up and usually if it's my fault, i'll concede to that, but here it just felt like the game was at fault sometimes.

For a game that (in some regard) is for a younger audience, there are some deep messages in that game (atleast i think there are). I find that Young Link is like a child (not that he already is :P) who lives a generally care-free life, but future responsibility is placed on him, and people tell him how 'big things' will happen to him. I'm sure some of you have parents who are trying to (or have already) push you towards greater things, and prepare you for a grand future, which almost feels planned out. He also looks at the world as a colourful, (for the most part) peaceful place and has a sort of childish ignorance to the people around him.

By that regard, when Link pulls out the Master Sword and goes forward 7 years, all of a sudden he's old enough to assume his responsibilities, and his view of the world has changed both in his understanding of it and ofcourse literally because Ganondorf is a big stinking jerk. Also, there are Great Fairies, that are barely clothed and have big knockers.

So that's pretty much all i have to say about it at the moment, thanks in advance if you read through all of this, even if you don't agree with it. I'm probably going to look at Majora's Mask, but Zelda Fatigue has kicked in, so i'll be taking a break from that for like a week, and i'm playing through Metroid Prime right now, which i'll probably write something about aswell, cause that game is pretty darn good.
    L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By L33tfella_H

Before i start, i'm gonna predict what the responses are gonna be like :

''lolwut/lulwut/lolwet/lolweiner/any variation''
    ''Fucking Noob, Took you long enough lol''
    ''Zelda is Overrated''
    ''Nintendo is Overrated''
    ''[Insert Other Zelda Title] is better''
    ''your blog is shit compared to my blog''

So with that out of the way (P.S i know atleast one of the people who's gonna end up looking at this will have one of the above thoughts in his head, don't deny it now ;] ), let's begin.

Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time

Don't know how many of you have maybe heard of this super obscure game (it's totally not obscure, just to make it clear for those who have no idea of the concept of satire), but i started playing through it again recently. I was listening to some tunes when i was reminded of OoT, and i decided to bring a TV into my room with my GC, and play Ocarina of Time on the bonus disc i got with Wind Waker. I have played the game before, but i believe it was in like 2001-2002 and i made it past the Fire Temple as adult link, but for some reason i just kinda stopped.

The game is awesome, but it's not perfect. However, perfection in anything, much less a video game is probably impossible to find, and i'd consider Ocarina Of Time one of the best games of all time, as a game itself, and for the influence it had for games afterwards. Infact, it's kinda funny how 1998 was this big turning point for video games, where games could be 'cinematic'. On the PC side we had Half-Life and Grim Fandango, on the Playstation we had Metal Gear Solid and Xenogears and finally on the N64 we had The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time. Big games which as we all know, have had a huge impact on gaming, as you've all either played one or more of these games, or successors to them, literally, or spiritually.

There's no point in me talking much about the game, but i will mention the 'big' things about that game that i liked : 
    • The exploration/Collection aspect of the game is amazingly fun, by the time i had finished the game, i had about 70 golden skulltulas and almost every item you could collect by the end of the game (i didn't have the 50 arrow quiver or the bigger bomb bags).
    • The fishing minigame alone is something i could see myself booting the game up for, just to play it (it took me like 4-5 minutes to get that 19 pounder!).
    • As far as dungeons went, my favourites were probably the Shadow Temple and the Spirit Temple.
    • Traveling the overworld has this almost tranquil feeling at times, with the nice music setting the pace, riding on your horse, just kicking back, looking for Big Poes to hunt down and bottle up.
    • The music, which is probably the most key part of the game, is simply amazing and albeit it sounds a bit basic on the N64 sound chip, it had me humming and chiming along to it for most of the game.

Now for the things i didn't so much like :
    • The Water Temple alone is a huge headache for me. It's not so much 'difficult' as someone pointed out to me, but it's more that you have to visit the menu alot in the dungeon, and i don't know if this is the case with the N64 version, but on the GC disc which just runs the game in an emulator basically, it takes like a second to get into a menu, then i gotta equip/un-equip the boots, then i go out of the menu, which takes about a second to load. It's just super annoying, and from what i hear, other Zelda games have tweaked it so you can have equipment on a toggle button just like items.
    • The Gerudo Fortress. If There ever was a game that DID NOT NEED a stealth section, it's this game. It's the prime example of why games where stealth is your only option, and 'one-strike-your-out' logic applies, are not fun. Now i know there's a stealth section in Zelda's castle near the beggining, but it was a bit more manageable and shorter compared to this.
    • Some of the Control is a bit off, it's one of those games that reminds you why having camera control is taken as such a given these days (the developers have said they didn't want to really give you much camera control for 'cinematic' reasons) and there are times where i messed up and usually if it's my fault, i'll concede to that, but here it just felt like the game was at fault sometimes.

For a game that (in some regard) is for a younger audience, there are some deep messages in that game (atleast i think there are). I find that Young Link is like a child (not that he already is :P) who lives a generally care-free life, but future responsibility is placed on him, and people tell him how 'big things' will happen to him. I'm sure some of you have parents who are trying to (or have already) push you towards greater things, and prepare you for a grand future, which almost feels planned out. He also looks at the world as a colourful, (for the most part) peaceful place and has a sort of childish ignorance to the people around him.

By that regard, when Link pulls out the Master Sword and goes forward 7 years, all of a sudden he's old enough to assume his responsibilities, and his view of the world has changed both in his understanding of it and ofcourse literally because Ganondorf is a big stinking jerk. Also, there are Great Fairies, that are barely clothed and have big knockers.

So that's pretty much all i have to say about it at the moment, thanks in advance if you read through all of this, even if you don't agree with it. I'm probably going to look at Majora's Mask, but Zelda Fatigue has kicked in, so i'll be taking a break from that for like a week, and i'm playing through Metroid Prime right now, which i'll probably write something about aswell, cause that game is pretty darn good.
    bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By bed

lol u r not a real gamer u only fenish it now lol fuk u o and btw ur bloge is shit compared 2 my blog hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

*ahem* now that the stupid comments are out of the way, I actually never got around to playing OOC myself. I just never owned an N64 and if I did, I wouldn't be interested in it.  

actually, come to think of it, I played OOC or Majora's mask at a cousin's house one time and it wasn't bad. back then, though, I just played games like Mega Man X and GTA2 which were.. not the biggest games on the PS1 from my memory. those games didn't actually require.. much thinking

the camera looks like something that would be a problem on a game like that, with the strange N64 controller and all. I'm glad to see you enjoyed it, though! maybe one day i'll play it. I have my N64 right there above my PS2 / 360 with Goldeneye in it. surely copies of that game can't be that pricey today. 

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By L33tfella_H

As i said, if you have a Wii/GC, you can still play it on either through Virtual Console, or having the Bonus Disc from WW, or (if you 'somehow' had it) the Limited Edition Zelda Bundle some GC's got where you got the first 2 NES games, OoT and MM.

It's a game i'm glad i finished, but it took a bit of trudging and feeling like an idiot to finish. That's probably the biggest problem i have with games like Zelda, when you get to a puzzle or situation and you have no idea what to do, and it just kills your mood to keep playing. Now, on that note, Metroid Prime (which i am at this moment playing) has a really helpful way of helping you out in situations like this, where it will 'scan' for locations where your recently acquired power-ups would come in handy. And it's a Godsend if i might mention.

Also, for a game that's rated E for All (funnily enough i think it has a T rating on Virtual Console), some of those puzzles are brutal. On a final note, one thing i like About Zelda and Metroid is that there are alot of unlockables you collect by figuring out fancy ways of getting to them (an example is in Metroid Prime where you need to time Morph Ball bombs to make jumps, which is pretty cool), and at the same time making it so you don't need to be super amazing to actually advance in the game itself.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Driadon

Thank god. I was starting to think I was the only one who never played Ocarina to completion. Hell, even though I have it on Virtual Console, I still haven't put more than a few hours into it.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Hey I think everyone should at least give the game a chance. Glad you finished it dude.

Edit: Also you're not the only one who hates the water temple.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CaptainObvious

I never beaten Ocarina of Time and never intend to do it. 

belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By belaraphon

grats duder!  

and i totally agree that the water temple is hard as nails. for me it was the multi-level, switch hitting, and just utter directional failure. but it is good to see you made it through!

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By hero_swe

therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By therabidfrog

Eh, so what? I beat Dungeon Lords. I friggen deserve a t-shirt for that! At least some kind of recognition.

P4KO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By P4KO

Oneof the best games i've ever played,great job dude !! 

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Meowayne

I couldn't bring myself to finish it. I still have my savegame, and I remember finishing the fire temple as adult link..? I guess..? I don't even know why I stopped playing. But the Zelda formula, the outdated (though without a doubt revolutionary at the time) controls and the silly writing/story did their best to make me lose interest in the game.

Carlos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Carlos

Great game indeed, now on to Darksiders bbl.

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @Meowayne said:
    " I couldn't bring myself to finish it. I still have my savegame, and I remember finishing the fire temple as adult link..? I guess..? I don't even know why I stopped playing. But the Zelda formula, the outdated (though without a doubt revolutionary at the time) controls and the silly writing/story did their best to make me lose interest in the game. "
    I think also the fact that despite anyone's best wishes, Ocarina of Time (and Majora's Mask by that regard) suffer from that Early 3D game feel, where the game looks like crap even just a year or 2 later, the control is messed up, and there are camera issues all over the place.

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone, if you ever have the stamina to finish this game, you should give it a shot...And if don't want to, don't worry, In some form or another, you have played Ocarina of Time, From the way it's inspired other games, to the successor Zelda Games and so forth and so forth. 

I'm still in the process of playing Metroid Prime, and i have to say - That game is amazingly beautiful, it doesn't have Super Hi-Res textures or Shader model 19 or anything like that, but the visual design and some of the visual effects they have put into MP look absolutely stunning to this day (also there's a game in there), expect me to write a big long post on that when i'm done.
    JohnRehill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By JohnRehill

Congrats! I'm still yet to beat it. Is it worth it?

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By raiz265
    @L33tfella_H said:
    "  Now for the things i didn't so much like : 
    • The Water Temple alone is a huge headache for me. It's not so much 'difficult' as someone pointed out to me, but it's more that you have to visit the menu alot in the dungeon, and i don't know if this is the case with the N64 version, but on the GC disc which just runs the game in an emulator basically, it takes like a second to get into a menu, then i gotta equip/un-equip the boots, then i go out of the menu, which takes about a second to load. It's just super annoying, and from what i hear, other Zelda games have tweaked it so you can have equipment on a toggle button just like items. "

lol :D 

the water temple is the scourge of OOT! 

but i really liked the gerudo fortress

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.