Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 21, 1998

The first 3D Legend of Zelda game, Ocarina of Time was created for the Nintendo 64 in 1998 and introduced innovative mechanics such as Z-targeting as well as many of the series' other trademarks. It has frequently been ranked as the greatest game of all time by many publications.

Worth getting a 3DS for?

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By markini6

Having never played the original, and reading Eurogamer's review, which basically said that it was the best version of one of the best games ever, I'm now wondering if I should buy a 3DS. I liked the look of the new Mario Kart, Super Mario 3DS, Snake Eater, Kid Icarus and Star fox, so I wouldn't just be getting a 3DS solely to play Zelda. 

The console would cost me about £70, as I'm trading in a load of old games. So I'm wondering both whether or not to get a 3DS, but also if anyone else is facing the same dilema. I'm slightly tempted to wait for a few months, for when all the games that I want have been released and in the possible hope that shops will be selling the consoles for a bit less. So, any advice from 3DS owners or people wondering about the same thing?

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By TheMasterDS

If you have a Wii you could just, like, buy it for 7 pounds instead of 70 plus a bunch of games plus the price of the game.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By phish09

Do you have a Wii, Gamecube or N64?  If so, you can just buy OOT for one of those systems, or you could pick up an N64 with this game for probably around $50.  So, I don't think it's worth getting a 3DS just for this game.  Having said that, it looks like there are a tong of cool games coming to the 3DS, so I'm sure by the time the year is out, it will be worth the purchase, provided they don't drop the price before the holidays.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If you can buy a 3DS for that price then I would say hell yes. I got a DS just so I could play the remake of Super Mario 64 and it turned out to be a great decision. I also ended up playing a bunch of other great games on the system.

MikeHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By MikeHawk

If you're interested in the games Nintendo announced/highlighted at their e3 press conference this year, then go for it. OoT is an amazing game and it's plenty long enough to justify purchasing it now.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By the8bitNacho

You can simply purchase a digital copy on the Wii, or you could grab a cheap cart for the Nintendo 64. I can't personally see why this game should ever be considered the reason to purchase an entirely new system, unless the system in question is an N64 from someone's garage sale for, like, twenty bucks.

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By DragoonKain1687

I bought a 3DS on the release week. Worst decision ever. I have not bought a single 3DS game so far as there is not a single compelling title beign released. Zelda will mark the first great game for it, even if it is a remake. Its sad though seeing so many remakes instead of original games being released. I guess its part of the reason the 3DS sucks in sales right now.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

This game or....Star fox. Or Luigis mansion 2. Sadly these are the games that should have been launch titles. Poor launch line up killed this systems early sales. 

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By markini6

I think I'm going to go for it, especially now that after a kind donation of some unwanted games, the system will only cost me £30.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vexxan

If you liked the other titles shown at E3 coming for the 3DS I think buying a 3DS is a great idea.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By TehFlan
    @markini6 said:
    I think I'm going to go for it, especially now that after a kind donation of some unwanted games, the system will only cost me £30.
    Sounds like a good deal to me.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Looks great, plays great, and there's much to come and if you missed any DS games, its totally worth it to play them on the 3DS like I did.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By Marz

was watching the demo that gamespot did recently.  the game does look very nice, they updated the graphics a bit(detailed textures and models).  It's the same ol game but if you haven't played it by now.  It's worth picking up in my opinion.  I would still like to see some more good titles before i take a stab at a 3DS personally.

g6065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By g6065
    @Kombat said:

You can simply purchase a digital copy on the Wii, or you could grab a cheap cart for the Nintendo 64. I can't personally see why this game should ever be considered the reason to purchase an entirely new system, unless the system in question is an N64 from someone's garage sale for, like, twenty bucks.

+1, in addtition to other ways in which the game can be sourced.....
    Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Jams

@Marz said:

was watching the demo that gamespot did recently. the game does look very nice, they updated the graphics a bit(detailed textures and models). It's the same ol game but if you haven't played it by now. It's worth picking up in my opinion. I would still like to see some more good titles before i take a stab at a 3DS personally.

don't forget they kind of redid the inventory too. You get it on the bottom screen with those two extra buttons. At least that's what I got from the GB QL. I'm tempted to get it too, but I already have it for the Wii and it is hard for me to get into because I'm not nostalgic for it. I never actually played it when it came out and I don't really know why though. I had an N64. Hmmm

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By buft

I would say go for it, there's a lot of negativity about the games available at the moment but i honestly haven't found that to be the case. While pilotwings is short its still fun, Ghost recon is a great turn based strategy game and of course there is now zelda. plenty of games are coming and they certainly look appealing.  

I say go for it, trade in your old stuff while its still worth something and get the new system.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I just bought one and will be trying this out. Only game I got with it is Ghost Recon which is pretty cool so far. None of the other current games interest me at all. Well, Street Fighter IV, but I already played a ton of that.

Does anyone recommend DoA?

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Nux

I say its worth it if you really want a 3DS now, if not wait.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The 3DS got off to a very bad start. Literally no good games, the e-shop only just launched and even that has an anaemic library, the price is very high (especially now that the Vita has been announced to cost the same) and they made some odd design decisions with the machine itself.. Almost feels as if they did it intentionally so they can issue a "lite" version in a year or two.

That said, Ocarina of Time is an amazing game. The new graphics look amazing, the screenshots really don't do it justice and it's easily the best example of a 3D game so far. The 3DS has also dropped in price a bit thanks to the poor sales, so if you're trading in some stuff to get one, you might as well go for it. The games they showed at E3 looked really great too, it's just a shame they didn't really give us any release dates. I really wouldn't recommend any of the other titles that are currently available though, except maybe Dead or Alive (and Street Fighter, if you don't have any of the other versions).

AdmiralBobbery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AdmiralBobbery

It was for me. Had been holding out waiting for a good game to come out and this was it :)

bigjaffa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By bigjaffa

Absolutely worth it. Graphics better, interface better, controls better. Still holds up after all these years. Loving it.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wolverine

@markini6: All though I think in the future 3DS will be a great platform with outstanding titles, I find it hard to justify purchasing it just yet to play a remake of a game that came out more than ten years ago. If you are really interested in playing Ocarina of Time there are so many more cost effective ways to do so. You could buy a N64 and the original game or a Game Cube and the re-release for a fraction of the price.

SolracFB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SolracFB

While yes, you could get this game on another system, this version is far superior. Look for some comparative shots of the graphics, and you will see how much better they are this time around. The map and item managing in the second screen make pausing the game less frequent, and a lot quicker as it is a lot easier to navigate through menus now. On top of that you get a very nice use of the 3D effect. Motion aiming makes things like shooting galleries not only easier, but more organic. You can even look around without going to first person by Z-targeting (or L-targeting) while physically moving the system around. And, did you mention you didn't play the original? I almost envy you for that. Other games great games are on their way, plus the bundled software and the eShop can provide a little extra play time (did you play the original Link's Awakening? I didn't so I just bought it and its effing great). I would absolutely say go for it.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By Jost1

@phish09 said:

Do you have a Wii, Gamecube or N64? If so, you can just buy OOT for one of those systems, or you could pick up an N64 with this game for probably around $50. So, I don't think it's worth getting a 3DS just for this game. Having said that, it looks like there are a tong of cool games coming to the 3DS, so I'm sure by the time the year is out, it will be worth the purchase, provided they don't drop the price before the holidays.

the game looks SIGNIFICANTLY better on 3DS as well as completely fixing the awful menu system.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CaptainCody

I hate having to say that it's pointless to buy an overpriced console with a bunch of remakes when I feel as if their is always something magical about playing awesome games on handhelds. Also, this game only looks better on a 3DS because a 3DS is SMALL, blow that screen up to TV size and it will look like garbage. still paying 40 bucks for a 13 year old game.
    markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By markini6

Well I went for it in the end, after trading in a lot of unwanted games it only cost me £50, and I got Zelda thrown in for that price. Had it for a few days and I don't regret the decision one bit, just wish there was more on the eshop. But apart from that very happy with it. I'd have to agree with people though that if I was paying £180 then it wouldn't have been worth it, but if anyone can do what I did and get one for not much, then I'd advise them to do it. 

And BTW, loving Ocarina of Time, played it when I was a kid but never got past the deku tree, now I'm up to the Goron dungeon-y place. Starting to see why the game is so revered.

Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By Noct

I think it is the easily the system seller for this console. There have been a few other titles on here that I've really enjoyed (Ghost Recon, DOA, SF4), but I woudn't re-buy this system to play those. If my 3DS died tomorrow I would buy a new one just to play this game, in a heartbeat. 

Not only is it a fantastic re-polish of a seminal gaming title, it holds up remarkably well, looks amazing on this hardware, and is the single best use of 3D I have ever seen in a game. THe leve lof immersion and depth with the 3D turned on is just staggering IMO.   

I was just saying that it reminds me of the first time I got into a Warthog on my Xbox. That moment where you realize you have a great new system and are experiencing something you've never seen before. I haven't really been all that bowled over by the past couple of Zelda titles, and this one is making me want to quit my job just so I can go home and play it.
    tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By tomance

Well I bought a 3ds for the game basically, and a decent E3 showing.  It should be here tomorrow from amazon. I already have Zelda too so it's just staring at me on my desk. At least buying it day one got me the soundtrack.

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By LackLuster

Read the review its a fantastic update to an amazing game

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AuthenticM

I bought a 3DS along with Zelda yesterday. I do not regret my purchase.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MariachiMacabre

This is the game that has convinced me to buy the 3DS but it's also the fact that I am certain we'll see the 3DS's lineup get pretty awesome so there's that.

reshiblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By reshiblaze

I'm defenitly going to get that game. looks cool to me.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SlasherMan

For that price, I would say yes.

Shibbxyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Shibbxyz

I also bought a 3DS just because of this game and i have to say it was defiantly worth it, for one ocarina of time is really awesome and the changes they have made to the game are also awesome 
    I did buy it for myself as a graduation gift though so not to feel like i spent alot of money :) but the 3d stuff the 3ds can do is really amazing and makes playing OoT an even better experience and would  defiantly recommend getting it

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sayishere

The difference between both is huge imo. When you look at both side by side its quite a difference, i was playing the n64 version and i literally stopped, then went back to my 3ds.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

No. Download an emulator or get it some other way. The 3DS is a $250 paperweight and that doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon, even if there are a few interesting games sprinkled over the next six months. By the looks of things I won't be playing mine very much until Star Fox comes out.....

....In the fucking fall.

Lydek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Lydek

I ended up buying the 3DS with zelda as my first game...It was my first game on the N64 and it's my first on the 3DS.  Now I'm jamming to the forest temple theme in the middle of the night and trying to beat this annoying stalfos >_<

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jackel2072

I will put it to you this way. i was waiting to buy a 3DS until this game came out. I bought mine yesterday. its a great system. the 3D in Zelda feels vary natural and works great. Im happy getting one now. there are still not a ton of games out for the system yet, but i also bought it now because at my job i have a lot of down time some days and my boss got mad at me for installing Minecraft to the company computer. so having a hand held was the next logical step. so yeah. just go buy it. if you know its something you want and you know there are games down the road you really want to play. whats the difference between getting it now or later?

also the AR stuff is downright amazing. its short and doesn't have much depth to it yet, but it is something you really need to experience for your self.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.