Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 18, 2011

Link descends from his floating continent home to explore the dark and dangerous world below with the help of a magical sword, in this Wii installment of the Legend of Zelda series.

30 hours in, still feel like I suck at this game

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Jost1

I feel like every major sword fight I just barely scrape by on pure luck. It's so frustrating. All the while I'm thinking how this game probably would've been just as good with a regular controller (and camera control).

This game has brilliant moments but so much padding and so many frustrating encounters...

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By GunstarRed

Do you ever hop backwards? because I was being overly aggressive to begin with, but once I started hopping about more and being a bit more patient and deliberate with my strikes I started winning every fight with ease.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By Jost1

That might be a useful trick! thanks.

Don't get me wrong, the best parts of this game are AMAZING. Just been frustrated by some of the combat encounters.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Hector

You have to be patient and dodge and most importantly learn the enemy's attack pattern.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#5  Edited By elyk247

@Hector said:

You have to be patient and dodge and most importantly learn the enemy's attack pattern.

Patience is the key. It's not a race, homie.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By fenixrevolution

@Elyk247 said:

@Hector said:

Patience is the key. It's not a race, homie.

THIS! Everytime I tried to rush through a sword fight, I came up walking away with very few hearts, but when I slowed down and read the signs from the enemy, it got significantly easier. Just slow down, you'll do fine.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By thechronodarkness

Its not just patience. It doesn't matter if you have that in many situations. The controls just don't work like they should. What if you swing left or right, and link swings diagonally? Thats....a minorly busted mechanic.

YSD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By YSD

@thechronodarkness said:

Its not just patience. It doesn't matter if you have that in many situations. The controls just don't work like they should. What if you swing left or right, and link swings diagonally? Thats....a minorly busted mechanic.

You're either calibrating your remote wrong, or uncoordinated. It's all on you.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BrockNRolla

@YSD said:

@thechronodarkness said:

You're either calibrating your remote wrong, or uncoordinated. It's all on you.

I think you're wrong on that. The first major boss battle is an absolute chore because of how little leeway you're given with the angles of your attacks. What I'm doing in front of me is not always translated perfectly on screen.

I will say though that the remote becomes uncalibrated ALL THE TIME. That's easily one of the most frustrating things about the game so far. It adds an extra button push every time you want to aim anything.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#10  Edited By jacksukeru

The controls aren't always great(still hate it when I have to stab something), but by the end of the game I had adapted to them enough that I could handle anything the game threw at me.

Also protip: exploit some enemies' reaction to bombs.They can't defend if they're running away, and if they don't run away they get hurt.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By DeF

I think the controls might become a problem when you don't hold the remote correctly. By correctly I mean that if you happen to slightly twist the remote and start a horizontal slice in that position, the game might think you did a diagonal slice.

You'll notice that the controls work totally fine if you pay attention to what you are actually doing and how you are doing it.

lusence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lusence

@Jost1: on word. SLINGSHOT. every enemy has a weakness. I noticed you can stun most of them with the sling shot giving you an opening. Or the BOMB, that thing takes out most enemies... You just got to know their weakness.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By JCGamer

I still have no idea what I did to beat that first boss. Hopefully when I have to fight him again, it will be nothing like that first fight.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Sogeman

@JCGamer said:

I still have no idea what I did to beat that first boss. Hopefully when I have to fight him again, it will be nothing like that first fight.

In the first phase he held up his hand where you had your sword. So you hold your sword and then switch and hit him from the other side. In the second phase you just have to hit him where he's not blocking when he disappears and reappears and when he charges he goes either left or right and you have to aim accordingly (theoretically, I just wailed at him whenever he came). The first phase was harder for me because you strike if you move to fast but he doesn't switch guard immediately to help you I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.