Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 18, 2011

Link descends from his floating continent home to explore the dark and dangerous world below with the help of a magical sword, in this Wii installment of the Legend of Zelda series.

Get a Wii just for Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword? Could happen.

• 69 results
    waterbender19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By waterbender19

Out of all the Nintendo franchises out there, The Legend of Zelda series was the only one I was really fascinated with. It just has that unique flavor that Metroid or Mario just couldn't give me (Though both franchises are still GOOD). I remember beating the Minish Cap for the first time, and just WOW.. JUST WOW. It was AWESOME.

After playing that game, I desperately searched for all available Zelda games available out there.  So far the only Zelda games I have not owned yet are the ones available back in the Game Boy Color Era, also excluding the "other" Zelda games. So now I'm currently playing the Wind Waker (Yeah I know, late) and it still gets me hooked.

So with the arrival of Skyward Sword fast approaching, and me not having a Wii yet. Maybe its time to get a Wii. I mean I bought a used GameCube with The Legend of Zelda Collectors Edition, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, A Link to the Past, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks. Could Happen. ;) 

waterbender19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By waterbender19

Out of all the Nintendo franchises out there, The Legend of Zelda series was the only one I was really fascinated with. It just has that unique flavor that Metroid or Mario just couldn't give me (Though both franchises are still GOOD). I remember beating the Minish Cap for the first time, and just WOW.. JUST WOW. It was AWESOME.

After playing that game, I desperately searched for all available Zelda games available out there.  So far the only Zelda games I have not owned yet are the ones available back in the Game Boy Color Era, also excluding the "other" Zelda games. So now I'm currently playing the Wind Waker (Yeah I know, late) and it still gets me hooked.

So with the arrival of Skyward Sword fast approaching, and me not having a Wii yet. Maybe its time to get a Wii. I mean I bought a used GameCube with The Legend of Zelda Collectors Edition, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, A Link to the Past, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks. Could Happen. ;) 

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Kjellm87

I always found the idea of one console for one game a little odd, but why not, it's pretty cheap now.
    You can download the older Zeldas and play the GC Zeldas on it too.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By YoungFrey

Considering that I bought a fight-stick and Mortal Kombat vs DCU just to prepare for MK9, what you are proposing isn't crazy.  And the Wii does have other games that don't suck. 
    waterbender19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By waterbender19

@Kjellm87: Yeah thats what I also thought, I couldnt find a Cube that supports the component cable, let alone find the component cable itself! And your right the Wii is getting cheap (a sign of?!). Sadly though, I'll have to get a 3DS to enjoy the GBC Zelda games. :(

@YoungFrey - Ah I remembered Mortal Kombat, played it on the PC (DOS) when I was kid. FATALITY! :D 

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder

:o You really should get Oracle of Ages/Seasons. If you liked Minish Cap, you'd probably like the Oracle games.

Anyway, maybe wait for SS to come out before you decide to buy a Wii just for that game.

waterbender19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By waterbender19

@BeachThunder - Yeah I should, IF I can find a copy of those games here plus Links Awakening, DX or not. Buying online is not an option for me either. (No. COUGH! Credit. COUGH!. Card. COUGH!) :p and yeah I really liked Minish Cap. :)

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Skytylz

I bought a wii when Galaxy 2 came out and that's the only game I've played through on the wii.  I'm very disappointed.  

SquirrelGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SquirrelGOD

I have a 3DS pre-ordered just so I can play the Ocarina of Time remake when it comes out, so I can't blame anyone for getting a Wii just for Skyward Sword (though, my fury still froths over right-handed Link).

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kjellm87
    @Skytylz: How about Galaxy 1?
    waterbender19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By waterbender19

I really feel Nintendo will release a "DS Lite" version of the 3DS, so I'm just gonna wait for that. According to Jeff's article on the 3DS, battery life is an issue...

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Skytylz
    @Kjellm87: I've played through it on my friends wii.
    Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kjellm87
    @Skytylz: 
    I see,
     well I don't know what games you like, but if you're into platformers Donkey Kong returns is also a pretty safe bet.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Hizang

If you get a Wii now, you can get alot of quality games really cheap, the list is very big

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Skytylz
    @Kjellm87: It's not that I don't want games for wii, it's that there are other games on other platforms I want more.  Also, it pisses me off that first party games never go down in price and if say the newest Smash Bros game was $30 I'd pick it up in a heart beat but I'm not going to pay $50 for a 5 year old game or however old it is.  Activision is better than that.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By MikkaQ

Well the Wii is pretty cheap, so buying it for one game isn't as insane as other consoles, but at the same time... I'm literally hesitating to even dust off and plug in my wii for the new zelda game. 

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By sfighter21
    @waterbender19:   Ah, I remember when I went through my Zelda phase.  That was back in....oh.....2006??  But yeah, Minish Cap really captivated me as well.  It wasn't the first zelda game I played, but it was really good.  Link to the Past and Ocarina are still my absolute favorite Zelda games.  I haven't played the Oracle games yet either.
    OneAndOnlyBigE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OneAndOnlyBigE
    @waterbender19: I'll sell you mine. 
    Roundtree_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By Roundtree_X

Still keeping my Wii just for The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword....Happening. 

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kjellm87
    @Skytylz: Yeah, the odd prices can be annoying, I assume it is because it still sells.      
                    New Zelda looks sweet though, it was a quick trailer from it shown at GDC and it showed some clever use of the motions controls, hopefully it will work well.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Skytylz
    @Kjellm87: Yeah it looks cool, but I still haven't got through Twilight princess.  I'm only like 2 or 3 hours in and it really hasn't grabbed me.
    Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kjellm87
    @Skytylz: It picks up a little, but that game try to be little too much like Ocarina sadly, unlike Windwaker were you suddenly had to sail.
    As I understand it the theme in the new one is living in the Sky or something, maybe using airships. :)
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#23  Edited By galiant

Maybe you don't have to get a Wii. Have you tried Darksiders? That game gave me everything I wanted out of a Zelda game and effectively got rid of any need I had to keep up with the Zelda franchise.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By spankingaddict

Well I bought the Wii for 500$ at launch just too play TP three weeks earlier than the GCN TP. So you would'nt be that crazy.

Looking back I was INSANE, but I would of done it again in a heartbeat....Sad, I know.

waterbender19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By waterbender19

@sfighter21: And a great phase I am experiencing. :)

@OneAndOnlyBigE: Why sell it? :(

OneAndOnlyBigE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By OneAndOnlyBigE
    @waterbender19:  There just aren't any games for it.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @drag said:
    " I can't really muster any interest for SS ... and that just makes me feel sad. "
    How can't you be excited for getting the boomerang in the inevitably first tree themed dungeon? I guess Nintendo are just too innovative for you. Stick to Call of Duty, chump.
    waterbender19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By waterbender19
    @OneAndOnlyBigE: No games for it? Hmmm.. Well to each his own then. Shame cant buy overseas. :( but since the Wii is cheap now, might be able to get it on my next pay day, If I dont have any critical expenses necessary.. ;( 
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By wrighteous86

I got a Wii just to play Twilight Princess on Day One. 

...I'm only mildly disappointed.

waterbender19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By waterbender19

@Wrighteous86: midly disappointed? how so?  

and aside from the motion gameplay we saw in the trailers. What else do you expect Skyward Sword to deliver? :)

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Vexxan

Was thinking of getting myself a Wii just for the new Zelda game but tbh the more I see of it the less impressed I get by the minute. Feels like Nintendo aint giving it their 110% and I never really was into the whole motion controller.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm tempted to buy a Wii at this point. Given that its life-cycle is well more than half done, it is cheap as chips and has a pretty decent library now. 

Nothing about Skyward Sword has done anything for me yet, but considering I'm a Zelda maniac, I'll probably buy it and love it all the same. 

Want Metroid Prime Trilogy so much more, though.

waterbender19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By waterbender19
    @Wrighteous86: Hmm, I havent really played any motion type gampeplay before well, other than trying out Wii Sports. :p So I cant really comment on Nintendo not giving its 110% on Zelda. Though coming from reviews, Galaxy 1 and 2 did really well. 

@GetEveryone: I've been reading a lot Wii reviews, and yeah the console does have a pretty decent game library. Galaxy 1 and 2, Metroid Trilogy, and some other games (No More Heroes, Mario Kart, Smooth Moves etc). I dont really like putting ports in the game library of the Wii, but I'll make an exception for Okami :). Played it on the PS2, didnt finish it cause my brother's PS2 got busted and never got on to repair it. Zelda type adventure with a pleasing art style, Skyward Sword? hehe. :D
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By JasonR86
    @waterbender19: 

I don't want to sound like a pessimist but I'm not sure Skyward Sword will be worth it.  But there are quite a few good games on the system besides this game.
    Teleri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By Teleri
    @Kjellm87 said:
    " I always found the idea of one console for one game a little odd, but why not, it's pretty cheap now. You can download the older Zeldas and play the GC Zeldas on it too. "
    There have been rumors of a Wii price drop, but I'm unsure if any of that is confirmed.  Anyway I'd wait until the end of May to see how low the price goes.  It's worth checking into some of the stuff surrounding Project Cafe as well, as it's expected that SS will be able to play on Nintendo's next console via reverse compatibility.  

In any case there are a few classic Zelda games out, and at this point using a Wii to play them may be the only realistic/legitimate way to play them.  The only problem is until E3 give some details on the Cafe we won't know.
    WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WickedFather

I bought a copy of Red Steel 2 with the motionplus and put the game straight on Ebay sealed.  I did this for Skyward Sword.  It's worth getting a Wii.

BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BUCK3TM4N
    @waterbender19: do you have debit cause that will work for online purchases
    waterbender19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By waterbender19
    @BUCK3TM4N:  Nah, dont have a debit card..

@Teleri: $149.99 for the new bundle as far as what I read, but Im not really that leaning to the Mario Kart and Wheel accessory bundle.. The old bundle with the Wii Sports Resort was cut to $170 I believe, better choice IMO.

If Project Cafe somehow IS backwards compatible with Gamecube games. Then, I may not buy a Wii.. 

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Contro

Skyward Sword will play on the new console, wait and see at E3. It may be better to play on the new console, it could upscale current first party Wii games...

waterbender19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By waterbender19

If Skyward Sword will be a Project Cafe Launch Title, then we're looking at a trend that every last Zelda game on a home console will be have a different but similar version on to the next console, a la Twilight Princess,

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Kjellm87
    @waterbender19 said:
    " If Skyward Sword will be a Project Cafe Launch Title, then we're looking at a trend that every last Zelda game on a home console will be have a different but similar version on to the next console, a la Twilight Princess, "
    Nah, I don't think it will be the case this time. Just guessing here, but considering the development time on Zelda by now it should be good to go not too long after E3, the next console won't be before 2012.
    That is unless Nintendo has managed to be so quiet that the next console is almost done too.
    Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Vexxan

This game, if any, could make me buy a Wii but I'll wait until "Wii 2" is shown at E3. If it's backward compatible, I'll wait with Zelda: SS.

waterbender19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By waterbender19

June is fast approaching and I'm still short on buying a Wii. Hopefully by July. Hopefully, it would be such a great present for myself :D anyway, until then I just played some Zelda games. Already beat the Wind Waker, 2nd was Link to the Past. Currently, Im juggling playing, Link's Awakening (bought it used!) on my GBA, Phantom Hourglass on my DS and Twilight Princess for the good ol Cube. I'm still inclined to toon Link than older Link in TP though.  

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Contro

Project Cafe will be BC.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By geirr

I got the "slim" 360 for Limbo so why the hell not?
    However I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled a Twilight Princess on us and had Skyward Sword
    available both for Wii and the elusive Project Café.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By tebbit

I brought a Wii only for Super Mario Galaxy, so I'd say go for it!

Also, get Super Mario Galaxy. And Super Mario Galaxy 2.

waterbender19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By waterbender19
    @pepsimaxofborg: Yeah if they pull a TP, I would really be sad.. :(
    waterbender19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By waterbender19

Skyward Sword to be released this holiday, and I still DONT have a Wii.... :( now with the Wii U coming out next year, Im starting to doubt if purchasing the Wii will be worthwhile. Though in a Gamecube standpoint.. 480P easy access :D

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By dungbootle

Pretty much the only reason why I am keeping my Wii.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DG991

My body is ready (for this game)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.