Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 18, 2011

Link descends from his floating continent home to explore the dark and dangerous world below with the help of a magical sword, in this Wii installment of the Legend of Zelda series.

Nintendo: Direct - Some Thoughts on The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Edited By danielkempster
    No Caption Provided

I'm playing The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword at the moment. It's a game that I've been meaning to get around to for quite some time. Initially I couldn't play it because I bought the game long before buying a console to play it on (yep, I may well have been the only person in existence not to own a Nintendo Wii in the winter of 2011). When I finally picked up a second-hand Wii a couple of years later, I started the game but found myself losing interest through its lengthy and patronising tutorial sequence. I made a second false start last year, making it just past the first dungeon before getting distracted by other things and not coming back. All year I've been promising my buddy Matt (who is a hugeZelda fan) that I'll get around to it before the end of 2017, but then Horizon Zero Dawn happened, and the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy happened, and The Witcher happened, and it kept getting pushed back, until about three weeks ago when I dusted off the Wii and fired it up. Third time was indeed lucky for me as I managed to get over the initial tutorial hump and pressed on deep into the game's narrative. Thirty-one hours deep, in fact, at the time of writing. And while I'm definitely enjoying my time with it, I haven't been able to shake the feeling that something about the whole thing is a little "off".

Before any of you start speculating, it isn't the motion controls. I can understand why people might not like them, but as someone who played Twilight Princess on the GameCube and bought a Wii specifically to play this game, I've found the whole experience pretty novel. The swordplay is great for the most part, bringing a much-needed layer of depth to the series' usually simple hack-and-slash combat. It's fun working out enemies' tells and navigating around their defences to land the killing blow, replacing button-mashing with a more methodical watch-and-wait approach. The dungeon items are all fun to use too, although there's not quite as much variety to them as I would have liked (four of the eight items have almost identical controls). But save for a couple of isolated incidents, the control scheme hasn't impacted negatively on my experience. I've never felt like I was telling the game to do something and it did something else, so in my book, that's a success.

Flight isn't quite as liberating as it should be
    Flight isn't quite as liberating as it should be

I think what's really getting to me is how "guided" the whole experience has been. Skyward Sword gets a lot of flak for how it holds the player's hand through its lengthy tutorial, but what's often overlooked in those criticisms is just how little you're permitted to explore throughout the entire game. A great deal of this is down to the world design, in my opinion. At first glance, Skyward Sword invites comparisons with Wind Waker due to its vast, open hub world (the sky surrounding Skyloft in the former, the Great Sea in the latter) populated by islands for the player to explore. Where the games differ is in both their sense of discovery and the degree to which their hubs are populated. When you first start exploring the Great Sea in Wind Waker, you have no chart, no map, no real frame of reference, and as a result the ocean feels mysterious, unknown and begging to be explored. Comparatively, Skyward Sword gives you a map of almost the entire sky up front. Nothing is unknown, everything is charted. Equally, the sky is much more sparsely populated than the Great Sea, and almost everything significant that happens is concentrated within Skyloft, making it feel comparatively lifeless and rendering exploration almost unnecessary.

It's rare for the dungeons to offer up any kind of forking path
    It's rare for the dungeons to offer up any kind of forking path

Things aren't much better when you break through the cloud barrier and descend to the surface. Skyward Sword's surface world is made up of three distinct regions - Faron, Eldin, and Lanayru. Each of these regions is vast but also very segmented, and progression through them is limited by both the items Link carries and the direction of the story at any given time. What this means is that while some areas look wide and open, there's actually only one direct route from A to B. Couple this with companion Fi's constant interruptions and advice on what to do next and the end result is an experience that feels curated and guided, rather than one in which the player has a reasonable degree of agency. This sense of linearity and throttled exploration even pervades the dungeon design. Having been through six or seven of Skyward Sword's dungeons at this point, I've never felt overwhelmed with options as to where to go or what I should be doing. Don't get me wrong, the dungeons and the puzzles within are brilliantly designed, but they're designed with the intention of funnelling the player down a set path, rather than opening up and giving the player options for exploration.

Dowsing for your next objective takes a lot of the fun out of exploration
    Dowsing for your next objective takes a lot of the fun out of exploration

Even the side quests eschew legitimate exploration in favour of hand-holding, mainly due to the inclusion of dowsing. Using his sword, Link can "track" the location of important items and quest objectives within the world and home in on them. This reduces environmental exploration to a simple game of "follow-the-flashing-light". One particular side activity consists hunting Goddess Cubes on the surface to awaken Goddess Chests in the sky. Initially I had fun hunting down the Goddess Cubes (without dowsing for them, which becomes an option later on), but the fact that the activated chests are then pinpointed on the map with flashing purple icons creates a sorely missed opportunity for some decent exploration in the sky. Instead of scouring the skies, I could simply open my map, plop a beacon of light over the chest icon, and make a beeline for the treasure. When I ultimately opened each chest, the reward felt hollow because I never felt like I'd earned it. Skyward Sword also features some light loot and crafting mechanics, seemingly encouraging exploration in a way that's completely at odds with the rest of its design philosophy.

He's not kidding - you ever try playing original Zelda without a sword?
    He's not kidding - you ever try playing original Zelda without a sword?

What really drove the matter home for me was when I blitzed through the original Legend of Zelda on a whim last weekend (with a guide to hand, I'm not bloody Superman). At times I found it hard to believe that these games co-exist within the same franchise. Original Zelda is obtuse as hell, dropping the player in an open overworld with no guidance and encouraging them to explore and find things out for themselves. Even Link's sword is optional - players can head off screen without entering the first cave if they so choose, putting them in a very difficult position against the Octoroks and Tektites that litter the overworld. I'm not saying original Zelda is perfect - in fact, I think it goes way too far in the other direction, to the point where its lack of guidance becomes a severe hindrance for those looking to beat the game. I think a lot of my personal favourite Zelda games, such as Wind Waker and A Link Between Worlds, strike a good balance between direction and exploration, signposting goals for the player without explicitly showing or telling them how to get there, and without punishing the player for trying to go off the beaten track and explore the world a bit.

As I said at the very top of this blog, I don't think Skyward Sword is a bad game. I wouldn't have put over thirty hours into it if I did. One major upshot of the game's more guided design is that it gives the story a much better sense of pacing than any other Zelda I've played previously. In my book, that's a good thing, because the story is the best I've seen in a Zelda game to date. Judging by the point I've just reached, and based on how long it took me to beat Twilight Princess, I'm going to hazard a guess that I'm about three quarters through Skyward Sword. I'm really excited to see where the story continues to go from here, and how it ties in with the rest of the series (I'm aware that Skyward Sword is the first game chronologically, and I'm curious to see if it earns its status of origin story). I just think it's a bit of a shame that engaging with the story is probably all I'll want to do from this point on. Hopefully in the new year I'll be able to get my hands on a Switch and a copy of Breath of the Wild - I'm reliably informed that it addresses the shortcomings of Skyward Sword by overhauling the core of the franchise in some very big ways, and I'm very excited to discover what those are.

As always, thanks very much for taking the time to read this blog. It's been a while since I threw together one of these essay-style posts, so please forgive me if the structure's a little rough. Once I've wrapped up Skyward Sword, I'm hoping to return to my An Hour With... blog series, with a special bumper instalment planned for before the end of the year. And hey, speaking of the end of year, we're getting pretty darn close to them there Game of the Year awards. This year I've managed to make my way through more games than ever before - my total currently stands at forty-three games beaten, and I'd really like to try and push that up to fifty before the end of 2017. As always, I'll be putting together some special blog-based shenanigans to document my year of game-playing, so be sure to keep your eyes peeled for that. Until next time, take care duders, and I'll see you around.

Daniel

---

Currently playing - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Skyward Sword is the worst Zelda game. Linear, very little exploration, mandatory motion controls, excessive backtracking, the same annoying boss three times over. I got so tired of this game, I only managed to finish it in a drunken haze one very late Saturday night and I don't even remember what happened in the end and never went back to find out. Packed up the Wii and moved on. It probably doesn't help that I played it on a 1080p monitor as well. The game is only 480i and painful to look at up close on a decent screen, though the art direction is OK I suppose. Having Fi warn you about low battery is the stupidest shit ever. It goes through all the motions of a Zelda game, but has almost none of the charm.

disco_drew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By disco_drew22

To me, Skyward Sword was like playing two different games. The first game, which starts from the beginning up and goes to the Temple of Time, is pretty alright. Yes, it's patronizing, linear, etc., but it is still solid. The second game, which is everything after the Temple of Time, is miserable. It felt to me like the developers were pressured the pad the game with meaningless filler so that it didn't feel like too brief of an adventure; you even fight the same boss three times. Worst of all, they send you on a handful of fetch quests (musical notes, anyone?) between dungeons that are excruciating in their tedium. By the time I faced the final boss, I was so mentally checked out of the game and so very ready to move on to literally anything else.

Oh, and it reminds you what a Rupee is every time you pick one up in a fresh sitting. Who thought that was a good idea?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I think a lot of my forgiveness (and fondness) for Skyward Sword comes from it being the first Zelda game I ever really put time into and finished. In retrospect, having played through Ocarina, Lttp, and Botw I can see its flaws better. I still have good memories though :)

Also, its retconning to explain the repetition of the series was kinda neat in my opinion. I know a lot of people really don't care for the effort from nintendo to try and link all the games, but the way it handled it in this one seemed fine.

Good write up!

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Tom_omb

@sinusoidal: I agree with a lot of your critique of Skyward Sword. Worst console Zelda (it's way better than Spirit Tracks). Some of the motion control mechanics were neat, but many were impossible. I'm amazed you beat the final boss while drunk, I never understood how to fight him, lucked out the first few times, and threw my controller in anguish (I never do that). Never tried that last fight again. I wish it was more open too, but in defense of the backtracking, it's pretty damn different when you return to the forest it's flooded.

I present to you the counter to your point about lack of charm. Maybe my favorite animation on any NPC in any game:

Loading Video...

To the OP's point of this being the Zelda that holds your hand more than any other. I think the major failing of this game is that the developers hoped to on-board all the non-gamer Wii owners with this Zelda. Resulting in a pretty patronizing experience. That said, I did enjoy my time with it.

My major frustration at the time is I couldn't 100% it. That was my favorite thing to do with Mario and Zelda games at the time of the Wii's release. I really struggled with Twilight Princess, Galaxy and Skyward sword because of this. Took me a long time to let it go.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great read!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Skyward Sword remains the only console Zelda I've never touched (I've also never played a handful of the portable ones, but I feel like that's less egregious) and I'm honestly still curious enough to want to try it out at some point, hand-holding and motion controls be damned. That might just be out of morbid curiosity, given the way that Breath of the Wild is a pretty clear rejection of everything that Skyward Sword tried, but hey, it's still a Zelda game, right? It can't be that bad, right?

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Rejizzle

I can understand the criticisms against it, but I like Skyward Sword. The more linear gameplay and emphasis on combat remind of Zelda II, but with less bullshit. Also, I don't think you're there yet, but the time-traveling desert temple is F-ing Fantastic. Maybe my favorite videogame level of all time!

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weirdly enough, the things that's stuck with me are the story/world elements. Ganon's origin story as well as the romance between Zelda and Link were well done. I remember finishing the game realizing that events in Skyward Sword made the game chronologically the first Zelda game; that was a cool realization.

majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

Good write-up, Dan! Glad to see you blogging again :)

My opinion of Skyward Sword is less and less as time goes on. At the time I think I was kind of in that Zelda bubble that was like "Sure, it's a 'good' Zelda game," even if I never loved it and noticed its flaws. The farther I'm removed from it, however, the more those initial issues bothered me, such as the terrible pacing, lackluster overworld, guided nature, insane reminder text and tutorialization, and so on. I'm also not as big on the story as a lot of people, and the motion controls broke for me enough to be annoying. I think it's pretty easily among the weakest Zelda games.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Steadying

I loved Skyward Sword, easily the best Zelda game out there in my opinion, especially story-wise. Well, maybe Twilight Princess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.